General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-06-09 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 For IM vets and people who have done IMMT before I have a quick question for you all. What do you typically do the days before the race?? I will be arriving on Tuesday and leaving Monday so I was curious what you all suggest I do scouting and training wise. I know I plan to get 1-2 practice swims in but how far should I go? I plan on driving the bike course but I would like to get a small (easy pace) bike ride in before race day. Where should I do this? Montee Ryan or the hard stretch up to the top of the Chemin Duplessis? I would like to test myself on the big hills before hand so I know what to expect come race day. Any advice?

I would never recommend driving the course. No help, even might be a negative.

I would relax, take in the sites and enjoy the experience. I will probably swim Saturday am before the race and hope to set up a meet-up at that time, otherwise I will enjoy MT and the experience.

Not sure what Fred's rationale is about NOT driving the bike course...I would think driving it would help. (BTW, no slight intended towards Fred here...) I've driven the bike course of my races (when I've arrived in time to do so), and think it's quite helpful. You get a feeling where the hills are, if there is any rough pavement, any sort of technical turns, other road issues, etc. - the more information you have about the course, the better imho. So, MATT if you're arriving on Tuesday and have a hour or two, I would drive the course. I don't see any downside. (I'll prob drive the course on Wed afternoon or Thursday.)

In terms of swimming, I would think Thurs and Friday mornings would be good days. Not too far, but somewhere around a 20ish min practice swim. Go easy. The point is to get used to the water, used to your wetsuit, where the bouys are, etc. Saturday morning...probably ok too, but again, take it easy. (I'll see you on the beach prob both Thurs and Fri.)

As for where to bike, can't say. I would suggest a few light rides to keep your legs limber and ready to go for race day. I wouldn't do any hills, but perhaps a 30ish min ride (or two) is probably sufficient. In terms of testing yourself on the big hills, I wouldn't. You've had 6-9 months of training to get ready for the race, and I think pushing yourself too close to race day isn't wise - you don't want to shatter your legs so close to the race. The best way to get ready for the hills is to train on them. Not sure how hilly your typical training ride is, but I would do hills *now*, no 2-3 days before the race.

And what else you should do before the race....relax, eat well, get some sleep and basically get ready for race day. We have to rack our bikes and turn in our transition bags on Saturday, so Saturday morning should prob be reserved for prepping your bike and bags. Once you do that, get off your feet and relax. My suggestion is to do as little as possible 'extra' stuff before the race.

Also, for all the days leading upto the race, don't do anything new. If you have a pre-race routine, then do it. If you like to eat certain foods, bring them and/or buy them at the local food store. Just because we're at an IM race, you should prepare yourself as if it was any other race - don't let the hype/excitement change the way you do things pre-race. Don't get me wrong, an IM is awesome and will be different than any other race you've done to date, but in terms of getting yourself ready to toe the line on Sunday morning, follow your plan/routine.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by LarchmontTri 2014-06-09 9:03 AM

2014-06-09 4:40 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-10 6:59 AM

2014-06-10 7:01 AM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-06-10 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread

Originally posted by [ Not sure what Fred's rationale is about NOT driving the bike course...I would think driving it would help.

Hey, just posting my experience, especially for this race...

First, unless you are swimming 52 minutes and planning on riding sub 4:50 for the bike, I can guarantee you will not be in the true lead of the amateur race, i.e.; you won't get lost.

Second, the course is very easy to follow.

Third, and this is based off my 5xIM experience, I find driving the course rarely helpful. You tend to drive it so much faster than you would bike it that the perspective is way off. For instance, when you drive it always seems more difficult to me as I notice hill after hill after hill. The reality is that your speed in the car makes it seem worse, when in fact there are many breaks between the climbs. I find driving the course rather deflating. But again, that's me, have at it if you want.

Lastly, I would recommend riding the steep climb section near the end of the loops that everyone talks about to make sure you are geared properly.

Just my 2 cents.

Fred I sort of agree with you on this and think you make a great point. I'll probably drive the course and possibly ride a little bit of it before hand just so I feel familiar with the course and know what to expect. I defnitely agree with you on the point that when you drive the course it seems way harder then it really is. I did this at Wisconsin and at Syracuse and was totally intimidated by the experience after driving and reconning the course. I found it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be when I actually rode the courses on the bike. I would say if you choose to scope out the course and drive it don't put too much worry into it, it's not going to be as bad as you think it will be.

Edited by strikyr 2014-06-10 10:32 AM
2014-06-10 11:31 AM

Originally posted by [ Not sure what Fred's rationale is about NOT driving the bike course...I would think driving it would help.

Hey, just posting my experience, especially for this race...

First, unless you are swimming 52 minutes and planning on riding sub 4:50 for the bike, I can guarantee you will not be in the true lead of the amateur race, i.e.; you won't get lost.

Second, the course is very easy to follow.

Third, and this is based off my 5xIM experience, I find driving the course rarely helpful. You tend to drive it so much faster than you would bike it that the perspective is way off. For instance, when you drive it always seems more difficult to me as I notice hill after hill after hill. The reality is that your speed in the car makes it seem worse, when in fact there are many breaks between the climbs. I find driving the course rather deflating. But again, that's me, have at it if you want.

Lastly, I would recommend riding the steep climb section near the end of the loops that everyone talks about to make sure you are geared properly.

Just my 2 cents.

Fred - good points. I agree that driving the course can make it seems worse, but I still think there is value to be gained by driving it. I like to know where the sharp corners are (if any), if there's rough pavement, where the aid stations are, etc. It's better for me to be able to visualize the course from driving it than from simply looking at a map printed off from the IMMT website. I won't be breaking any records or anything, but I like to know what's ahead of me. That said, to each their own.

Brian

2014-06-10 11:39 AM

Hey, another question, especially for the IM newbies, is what is your race suit/clothing plan for the day?

1 or 2 piece?

Change in T2?

Two piece for me, and probably change in T2. Though, I'm still working on this. My current trip top is not all that comfortable for long days, so I have to find a new one. any suggestions?
2014-06-10 12:55 PM

2014-06-10 12:58 PM

2014-06-10 2:30 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
Thanks for all the great information Fred and Brian, it really helps. I know that I did a practice drive of a course 1x before race day and I have to agree with both of you (it did intimidate me but it also let me get some recon so on race day I was like- I remember this hill, turnaround is just up ahead, etc.) Not sure what I plan to do yet but I still think I will bike some of the hills very easily (maybe Wednesday so I have time to recover).

I do plan on taking in as much as possible while out there. We were up last year as a mini vacation and its a gorgeous place but we want to explore more this year since we are turning it into a family vacation.

I am up for swimming on Friday and would love to do a BT meet up sometime.

For clothing I am doing full changes since this is my first IM. I will do my jammers and tri top under my wetsuit for the swim, Change into Bike Jersey and shorts for the ride and running shirt and running shorts for the run. I am just trying to finish so I want to be as comfortable as possible throughout.

2014-06-10 3:43 PM

OrigTwo piece for me, and probably change in T2. Though, I'm still working on this. My current trip top is not all that comfortable for long days, so I have to find a new one. any suggestions?

Yes, I do. I am a big fan of Zoot ultra products. Currently I am planning on using a performance Tri Team Zoot top and shorts. Yes, yes I'm sponsored by Zoot, so take it with a grain of salt lol, but I actually bought these on my own. I seem to be comfortable on 5 hr rides and 2 hr runs with these. If you are not a Zoot fan, I would say consider the Louis Garneau line. My personal opinion is that for IM I would go with the higher end stuff, as it is designed for long distance comfort.

Fred - one question for you on Zoot products. I have a 2XU tri top and the zipper chafes pretty much up and down the entire length of the it. So, I'm not too keen on it. And I would rather have a short sleeved shirt type design anyway than a tank top design - I burn very easily and want to cover up my shoulders. So, does Zoot have anything that has no zipper and has short sleeves? It looks like they have a compression shirt, but that's about it. Have you tried that?

I just went to my local running store and purchased a Nike DriFit base layer shirt - no zipper and it has short sleeves. It's not as compressive as a compression shirt, but it's quite fitted. I was thinking I might wear that on race day for the bike leg and the run leg. Otherwise my choice will be a bike jersey and a running shirt, but from my IMFL experience, I think I want something much more fitted (ie. less chafing potential) for the run/walk leg. I don't know. We'll see.

What do y'all think?

2014-06-10 4:18 PM

2014-06-10 4:20 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

2014-06-11 8:51 AM

Veteran
Northern CT
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 For IM vets and people who have done IMMT before I have a quick question for you all. What do you typically do the days before the race?? I will be arriving on Tuesday and leaving Monday so I was curious what you all suggest I do scouting and training wise. I know I plan to get 1-2 practice swims in but how far should I go? I plan on driving the bike course but I would like to get a small (easy pace) bike ride in before race day. Where should I do this? Montee Ryan or the hard stretch up to the top of the Chemin Duplessis? I would like to test myself on the big hills before hand so I know what to expect come race day. Any advice?

I would never recommend driving the course. No help, even might be a negative.

I would relax, take in the sites and enjoy the experience. I will probably swim Saturday am before the race and hope to set up a meet-up at that time, otherwise I will enjoy MT and the experience.

Not sure what Fred's rationale is about NOT driving the bike course...I would think driving it would help. (BTW, no slight intended towards Fred here...) I've driven the bike course of my races (when I've arrived in time to do so), and think it's quite helpful. You get a feeling where the hills are, if there is any rough pavement, any sort of technical turns, other road issues, etc. - the more information you have about the course, the better imho. So, MATT if you're arriving on Tuesday and have a hour or two, I would drive the course. I don't see any downside. (I'll prob drive the course on Wed afternoon or Thursday.)

In terms of swimming, I would think Thurs and Friday mornings would be good days. Not too far, but somewhere around a 20ish min practice swim. Go easy. The point is to get used to the water, used to your wetsuit, where the bouys are, etc. Saturday morning...probably ok too, but again, take it easy. (I'll see you on the beach prob both Thurs and Fri.)

As for where to bike, can't say. I would suggest a few light rides to keep your legs limber and ready to go for race day. I wouldn't do any hills, but perhaps a 30ish min ride (or two) is probably sufficient. In terms of testing yourself on the big hills, I wouldn't. You've had 6-9 months of training to get ready for the race, and I think pushing yourself too close to race day isn't wise - you don't want to shatter your legs so close to the race. The best way to get ready for the hills is to train on them. Not sure how hilly your typical training ride is, but I would do hills *now*, no 2-3 days before the race.

And what else you should do before the race....relax, eat well, get some sleep and basically get ready for race day. We have to rack our bikes and turn in our transition bags on Saturday, so Saturday morning should prob be reserved for prepping your bike and bags. Once you do that, get off your feet and relax. My suggestion is to do as little as possible 'extra' stuff before the race.

Also, for all the days leading upto the race, don't do anything new. If you have a pre-race routine, then do it. If you like to eat certain foods, bring them and/or buy them at the local food store. Just because we're at an IM race, you should prepare yourself as if it was any other race - don't let the hype/excitement change the way you do things pre-race. Don't get me wrong, an IM is awesome and will be different than any other race you've done to date, but in terms of getting yourself ready to toe the line on Sunday morning, follow your plan/routine.

Hope this is helpful.

2x do as little as possible.
They have a swim out to the coffee boat on either Friday or Saturday morning which is a lot of fun.
The IMMT bike is really, really easy to follow - for me it helped to break it up in sections - montee ryan, RT 117, montee ryan and Chemin Duplessis.
I rode just the climb up Chemin Duplessis the Thursday morning - about the same time I'd be starting the bike race day (8:30am)
Tremblant resort is very hilly so you'll get enough of a workout just walking around.
I agree with Fred about driving the course - driving it I thought Rt. 117 was going to be a cake walk - but there are a lot of subtle climbs (especially as soon as you turn off Montee Ryan) that you wouldn't even notice in the car.

Love this race!

2014-06-11 1:01 PM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Hey, another question, especially for the IM newbies, is what is your race suit/clothing plan for the day?

1 or 2 piece?

Change in T2?

I'm going with a 2 piece and will do a full change in T2. I did it last year at Wisconsin and since I'm definitely not going to be in contention for a slot to Kona ever I'd rather be comfortable and make sure I have everything I need before heading out of T2 for the run. A few extra minutes won't make any difference for me.
2014-06-11 5:13 PM
in reply to: strikyr

2014-06-11 5:37 PM

Had a strong ride today, first century in the books. Then got home to find out something opened in the athlete village, so now we will be closer. I am likely in for a Friday am swim meet up. I'm happy to coordinate, either way I favor doing it early.

What time are you thinking for the swim? Unless it's crazy early, I'm in.
2014-06-12 10:47 AM

2014-06-12 12:08 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
I am up for an early swim on Friday.
2014-06-13 8:41 AM

2014-06-13 10:28 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Hey everyone.  Haven't been visiting this thread at all but now that we're getting closer I'll try to keep tabs with what's going on.  This will be my third time at M-T.  I'm registered for the 70.3 but I decided to not race in order to save $$$ and not try to squeeze in  the 70.3 WC if I managed to qualify.

7 a.m. swim sounds do-able for me as well.  Will know better as the week approaches...we are arriving on Thurs but haven't booked flights yet.  We are going to stay through Wed after the race because we really love the area and want to relax afterwards before heading home.

I never change in T1 or T2 and will keep it that way for this race.  We ordered our new E3 race kits a while back from Castelli and I'm anxious to get it and start using it to see if its going to be a good fit for racing.  It is a 2 piece suit but supposedly has small hooks you can use to make it a pseudo one piece.   I would have liked to have had it for the local HIM I did last week but the delivery seems to be stuck on the postal route somewhere.

Training is going very well right now and I'm making better than usual progress in getting down to race weight.  Amazing how much I can lose when I cut out massive quantities of ice cream     The only hiccup occurred week before last when I pulled a bonehead move and tripped over a small ramp leading into a utility trainer parked at the local tractor/small engine repair shop I was at.  Landed right on my chest and got the wind knocked out of me.  It didn't prevent me from racing my HIM a couple days later.  I'm amazed that swimming didn't bother it more.  Somehow I aggravated more this week and I just had x-rays that were negative.  Probably just some slight damage to the cartilage surrounding the ribs but, man, it is painful to take deep breaths, and running was not very enjoyable yesterday.  Just going to have to live with it for the next couple of months.   Hope everyone else's training is going well.

2014-06-13 11:19 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
Crab Cake City
Nervoulsy excited but getting more excited every day!!!
2014-06-13 7:57 PM

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
The swim on Friday morning would be great and it would be nice to get to see and meet everyone. We are closing in on 9 weeks to go and I have to be honest I've been pretty tired this week both mentally and physically. The training has been wearing on me a bit. I'm looking forward to a little break next week cutting back the training hours a bit as I'm doing Syracuse 70.3 next weekend. I'm finally going to get a race in before IMMT and catch a little break for the final push with the last 8 weeks of training. I can't wait to do MT.
2014-06-14 9:45 AM

2014-06-14 11:26 AM

Originally posted by strikyr

The swim on Friday morning would be great and it would be nice to get to see and meet everyone. We are closing in on 9 weeks to go and I have to be honest I've been pretty tired this week both mentally and physically. The training has been wearing on me a bit. I'm looking forward to a little break next week cutting back the training hours a bit as I'm doing Syracuse 70.3 next weekend. I'm finally going to get a race in before IMMT and catch a little break for the final push with the last 8 weeks of training. I can't wait to do MT.

Tony - you and me both. see you next weekend in Jamesville. what's your race #? I'm #1844.

Brian
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 34047 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9917 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7825 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68696 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5587 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.