General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter training tips for Vermont? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-15 9:41 AM

User image

Subject: Winter training tips for Vermont?
Hi anyone who is still out there! I'm a newbie- working on training towards my first tri next summer. Any suggestions for surviving the VT winter and still keep training? Especially the biking part?

2013-10-15 7:19 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Winter training tips for Vermont?
I try to run as much as I can outdoors when there's not a lot of ice or snow on the road. It's totally doable, just try to pick routes that are away from traffic because with the snow piled up on the sides of the roads, there's very little room for cars to go around you. There's also the opportunity to cross train with sc skiing and snowshoeing. I just have regular snow shoes but a friend of mine who is a very competitive runner, has run specific snowshoes. He loves it in the winter, and come spring, he feels blisteringly fast on normal pavement!

I do a lot of masters swimming through the winter season. As for the bike, I've yet to ride through a winter. There's not a lot of room on the roads for a bike, but what's more concerning is that drivers are not looking/expecting cyclists, so it can be hairy depending on where you live. There's not a lot or no shoulder at all where I live, so biking is too risky. It's the trainer for me, unless there's not must snow!

Remember, this is Vermont. There's no such thing as cold, just underdressed!!
2013-10-16 3:49 AM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

I love that- " There's no such thing as cold, just underdressed!!"

I've got a bike trainer on my Christmas list, so hopefully that will work out, and I can do the running- I have a treadmill and during the day, a very understanding boss who also does sprint tris, making it easier to explain the daytime runs. I'm thinking this winter might be great for working on the swimming- maybe some lessons or a trainer for a little to get me going.

I'm thinking about trying to get into the covered bridge half marathon in your area this coming summer- have you run it before? It sounds like a great race.
2013-10-16 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Not sure where you are in VT but Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington always seems to have used trainers at great prices. If you can join a Masters group that would be great. The friendly competition will get you pushing yourself!

My friends have done the covered bridges half...it's a gorgeous, gorgeous course but it sells out quickly!! Find out when registration opens and sign up asap!
2013-11-20 1:28 PM
in reply to: GreenMtnLabbit

User image

I was kind of surprised to see someone local. I was born and raised in BF and now I live in Springfield. Would love to know more about how and where you train in the area!!!
2013-11-21 7:11 PM
in reply to: hrapini

User image

I'm just getting started so not much training as of yet- work is 10 miles away so when the weather cooperates, it has been my starting biking. Running is little loops around house or work, and I swim at the college pool (Middlebury). I am hoping to do some sprints next summer, so the distances around me work out pretty well without having to do much planning yet!

What is BF? (I'm guessing I should know this, but I don't)

2013-11-26 12:04 PM

User image

Lol its Bellows Falls. I just signed up at the local rec department today. I hope to start swimming regularly there and working on my biking. I don't have a bike so I figured I would wait to buy one until spring and use the spin bikes there!!!
2013-11-26 7:26 PM
in reply to: hrapini

User image

Yep, should have known! Good or you! I'm trying to figure out what to do over Christmas break at the college- will have to sign up for couple weeks at a local gym that has a pool. It's going to be hard to keep going over the winter, but so much better than starting over in the spring.
2013-11-28 10:22 AM

I really just try to keep active over the Winter. This will be my first Winter that I will try to gain and keep a bike fitness. I have done ZERO biking since my last tri in Sept.
I am currently looking for a good bike trainer, and recently got a treadmill.
I work a lot, so it's always dark when I clock out. I plan on swimming once a week.

OTHERWISE: Lots of skiing and hiking in the Winter.

2013-11-28 10:22 AM

I really just try to keep active over the Winter. This will be my first Winter that I will try to gain and keep a bike fitness. I have done ZERO biking since my last tri in Sept.
I am currently looking for a good bike trainer, and recently got a treadmill.
I work a lot, so it's always dark when I clock out. I plan on swimming once a week.

OTHERWISE: Lots of skiing and hiking in the Winter.

2013-12-02 11:41 AM

User image

Yes winter will be hard....I hate the cold lol. But like you said I don't want to start over in the spring. I am going to a spinning class tonight. I am new to the whole cycling thing and figured it might be a fun way to get to know the equipment! I got my membership to the rec center....I realized that I really like running outside better and I do a better job when I can just run at my own pace and not try to set my pace on the tread mill! What races are you planning to do next year?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter training tips for Vermont? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vermont Sun Triathlon - Race #1 : Official Thread

Started by loishoran
Views: 1446 Posts: 1

2012-03-15 6:46 PM loishoran

Anybody left in Vermont? Pages: 1 2

Started by bmagnant
Views: 5099 Posts: 28

2016-05-15 7:40 AM aviatrix802

Noobie in Vermont Pages: 1 2

Started by karbates
Views: 3701 Posts: 36

2008-07-03 5:38 PM vtgirl

Vermont 1/2 Ironman

Started by greenmtnman
Views: 3479 Posts: 4

2008-04-29 6:42 AM greenmtnman

1st Vermont Sun Triathlon this SUNDAY!

Started by greenmtnman
Views: 1607 Posts: 1

2007-06-16 8:01 AM greenmtnman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 18, 2012
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Part 1 of 3 on finding your weak areas and maximizing your time in winter.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.
date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training

date : August 29, 2011
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 1
How to improve your bike split in a triathlon through careful planning and execution of your training schedule
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : November 28, 2004
author : Glenn
Most of us have hectic personal and work schedules. In fact, to fit in our training it is often a daily achievement!

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.