General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zura Stationary Swim Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-08 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: Zura Stationary Swim Trainer
Finally (see below) received this item yesterday and used it last night in my backyard pool. It allows you to swim non-stop in a smaller pool. I thought it worked very well. It was very comfortable with padded ankle/foot straps, it allows for body rotation (I'm a TI disciple) and overall felt pretty natural. The only downside to me is you don't know how far you're swimming. But if its a hassle to get to a real pool, as it is for me sometimes, I think its great. This product was fairly inexpensive ($19.99+shipping) compared to a lot of tri-gear we "need".

It was just difficult to find a place that had it in-stock. I finally found it online at Tri-Zone, although they ended up back-ordering - but seems to be worth the wait.

2004-07-14 10:12 PM
in reply to: #36150

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: Zura Stationary Swim Trainer
Thanks for the info. Been thinking about getting something like that. Good to hear your experience.
2004-07-15 7:18 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Sounds like a good idea. I have been thinking of tying a length of rope on one ankle in my pool to do stationary swimming but have not gotten around to it. What exactly is this Zura you are talking about? Is it just a length of rope with a padded collar for the ankles? In your message you say (see below) but did not insert anything.
2004-07-15 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Sorry, my "see below" ref. was to the bottom part of my message explaining the use of my word "finally"- (I thought I was getting it for Christmas didn't receive till July.

It is a quite simple device- a length of bungee cord with 2 plastic snap-buckles (like a bike helmet) on each end. This wraps around the ladder or something fixed, near the pool. The 2 ankle straps again are simple - thin neoprene like material, with 2 velcro straps attached by strips of the neoprene material, and a buckle attachment. You wrap one strap around your ankle and velcro it, the other wraps around the middle of your foot. Attach the buckles to the bungee and away you go (just not very far). The straps and cord are not really in the way for freestyle, but think they might be a little for backstroke or some of the TI drills.

There are similar devices that attach to your waist, as with this one, its hard to tell from looking at the pics how well they might work or if they're comfortable. I really decided on this one based on price and its simplicity. Some of the others were $35 and up and had different attachments that made me wonder what I needed. I just think this is a great tool for someone with a backyard pool who can't always get to a regular pool. I have to drive 15 min to the nearest pool - so in just my drive time alone I can almost get in a mile swim (ok-I'm not that fast, 1500 yds then). Plus with 3 kids, the wife is happier cause they can be playing in the pool also.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Zura Stationary Swim Trainer Rss Feed