General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Round two of "work your weakness" starts tomorrow Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-25 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Round two of "work your weakness" starts tomorrow

Just a little PSA to announce that round two of the "Work your Weakness" challenge starts tomorrow.  It's a pretty simple challenge: you state your weakness, and then report each day to the group about what you've done to address it.  It's a little bit of accountability and a fun group to banter with and bounce ideas off of.  

We'd love to have you join us :)

2013-10-26 5:32 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Round two of "work your weakness" starts tomorrow
So Switch does the weakness have to be physical? Can it be mental? For me at the moment my biggest weakness is consistency - I am having great trouble getting off my behind and training.
2013-10-26 8:17 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
Its funny, as part of a leadership seminar I am attending this week, the required reading was a book called Strengths Finder 2.0. basically it identifies your strenghts and tell you to work at developing them more, while bringing in others to support your weak areas. Applying this to Tri's, it basically tells you to maintain your weakness and strengthen your already strong areas. Kind of an interesting thought and not something most of us think about. We are always taught to improve our weaknesses by working harder.
2013-10-26 8:46 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
LHOTP

It can absolutely be mental :)

It could be doing more reading about SBR.  It could be being better about listening to your body.  It could be getting more sleep.  Getting into a good morning routine.  Really, whatever you need help with. 

We would love to have you Stacey. There are a couple of people in there working on consistency.

2013-10-26 9:00 AM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by hessma Its funny, as part of a leadership seminar I am attending this week, the required reading was a book called Strengths Finder 2.0. basically it identifies your strenghts and tell you to work at developing them more, while bringing in others to support your weak areas. Applying this to Tri's, it basically tells you to maintain your weakness and strengthen your already strong areas. Kind of an interesting thought and not something most of us think about. We are always taught to improve our weaknesses by working harder.

That is interesting and I think it works well when applied to leadership.

As you mentioned, you get to bring in others to support your weak areas in leadership.  As much as I'd like to bring in someone to do my swim leg, I can't:)

I tend to like to work on my strengths because, well, they're my strengths.  It easy to get excited about doing something that you do well, right?  One of the posters in our current group, Dale, discussed working to make your weakness your strength.  I liked that idea a lot.  I am hopeful that in chipping away at my biggest weaknesses I can be a stronger athlete overall--that's the idea behind the challenge anyway.

In the last four weeks my swim has improved DRAMATICALLY.  I would no longer say that it is my biggest weakness.  That is huge for me--both mentally and physically.  It feels really good to have given myself the challenge of figuring that out and dealing with this thing that I'm not great at and I tend to put off because I don't like it.  Now I find myself thinking about swimming a lot and excited to go to the pool--major improvements for me :)

2013-10-26 10:30 AM
in reply to: switch

Master
Northern IL

This sounds like a really great idea, but does it have to be our weakest area? I really don't feel like working on transitions at this time.

2013-10-26 10:59 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

This is just an off season, relatively short period of time opportunity for folks to focus on a weakness with the support, encouragement, and advice of other folks doing the same.  It has not had any limitations on what that weakness is.  I'm working on increasing my running speed by applying a Jack Daniel's training plan which is a continuation of an earlier challenge to study his book.  It has been great for me and some of the work others is doing is very motivational and I continue to learn from them. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Round two of "work your weakness" starts tomorrow Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Challenge PSA--Work your Weakness

Started by switch
Views: 520 Posts: 1

2013-10-09 9:13 AM switch

De Soto weekly raffles start tomorrow 11/20/09 on our Facebook

Started by Emilio
Views: 1386 Posts: 16

2009-12-04 2:53 PM triarcher

Starting oly training plan tomorrow...tech Q

Started by Z-dog
Views: 661 Posts: 5

2007-09-13 2:07 AM Z-dog

two-a-days....I swear I will tomorrow!

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 1053 Posts: 14

2005-10-09 7:55 PM southwestmba

need a run work out or two

Started by lilbear7
Views: 644 Posts: 7

2004-05-28 4:56 AM Flyboy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.
date : March 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
It sounds like you have a very common condition that many runners and triathletes experience called patello-femoral pain syndrome. We have seen that runners with core weakness experience this.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you turn a weakness into strength? It begins with effecting a fundamental change to your triathlete self-image.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!