General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Upgrade Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-28 3:39 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: Bike Upgrade Questions
After reading the tri v. road bike thread here I am now leaning toward sticking with my Specialized Allez but I am still trying to decide on a few things.

1. My bike is about a 1999 model but I love the way it rides, after reading some online reviews of the 2005 Allez Elite Triple I am questioning if I want to sell my 99 and buy a new one or if I would be better off upgrading mine.

2. If I decide to upgrade the one I have what are the biggest bang for the buck upgrades?

I am a road rider originally who this summer and last has caught the tri bug so I need something versatile. I am stepping up to Oly distance Tri's next year but will still do at least one century and a few other rides through the year.

Any thoughts on just how much of an upgrade shelling out the $1500 or so it would take to get a new bike would be?

I am also interested to see which upgrades you guys think are the best ones to make since besides a few minor things my Allez is pretty much stock still.

2006-07-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: #496510

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Bike Upgrade Questions
The way you described your bike, doesn't seem like there's really a good reason to upgrade her.

My vote is for a good set of racing wheels. Lighter, more aero, and faster. Then one day if you want to upgrade your bike for whatever reason, you can take them with you.
2006-07-29 3:50 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Aero wheels are the going to see you gain the most increase in speed.  Upgrading the group set is another option or how about getting a power meter to aid in training.  Just a few ideas.
2006-07-29 9:37 AM

Veteran
Minneapolis
Thank you!

Any suggestions on racing wheels? I was looking at wheels online yesterday but don't know much about them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Upgrade Questions Rss Feed