General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To spike or not to spike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-29 11:27 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: To spike or not to spike?

That IS the question!

Thus far, the weather has been so good I've been doing all of my cross country races in flats. It's worked out pretty well and generally I feel "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Buuut  I have a big XC meet this weekend (6K) and there is a pretty good chance that it's going to rain + I have to think there is at least a slight speed advantage of wearing spikes (although I cannot verify that.) I also would like to get some more actual racing experience in them before Nationals because as of now, I have none.

The reason I am really torn is because this weekend's meet is pretty important. It will determine whether I make the Elite team for nationals, or the B team. 

What do you guys think?

2013-10-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: To spike or not to spike?

Spikes are awesome and therefore should be worn whenever possible just for their awesomeness.  I really wish I had a valid reason to buy spikes

In all seriousness though, given it's cross and your location and the possibility of rain; I'd lace up spikes.  Do you already own some or would these be brand spanking new?  If new I'd at least try and get out for a shake out run in them but I know you already know that.  

2013-10-29 11:41 AM

User image

Franklin, TN
Definitely if weather comes into play. If there's a hint of speed advantage (if only in your mind) I would go for it (using the spikes).
2013-10-29 11:45 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
What does the course consist of and are there are sections with pavement or concrete?

Generally I would recommend spikes for cross country racing but there are situations where spikes can be more detrimental than beneficial.

Shane
2013-10-29 11:47 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by thebigb

Spikes are awesome and therefore should be worn whenever possible just for their awesomeness.  I really wish I had a valid reason to buy spikes

In all seriousness though, given it's cross and your location and the possibility of rain; I'd lace up spikes.  Do you already own some or would these be brand spanking new?  If new I'd at least try and get out for a shake out run in them but I know you already know that.  

Nah, I have had them all season. I've practiced in them a little bit and didn't have any issues or anything. They are a little heavier than my flats.

Also, I should mention, the course is VERY hilly with about 30% tall grass and then the other 70% dirt trails with leaves and roots etc. There is one part where we have to cross a small paved maintenance road (which sucks in spikes) but it's obviously minimal.

2013-10-29 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Also, I should mention, the course is VERY hilly with about 30% tall grass and then the other 70% dirt trails with leaves and roots etc. There is one part where we have to cross a small paved maintenance road (which sucks in spikes) but it's obviously minimal.

For a course like that, especially with rain, I like 13mm or 11mm and have had athletes run on grassy muddy courses with 15's. The downside is the crossing and I usually recommend that athletes consider going one length shorter than they would normally use if they are concerned about paved/concrete crossing.

Shane

2013-10-29 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Asalzwed Also, I should mention, the course is VERY hilly with about 30% tall grass and then the other 70% dirt trails with leaves and roots etc. There is one part where we have to cross a small paved maintenance road (which sucks in spikes) but it's obviously minimal.
For a course like that, especially with rain, I like 13mm or 11mm and have had athletes run on grassy muddy courses with 15's. The downside is the crossing and I usually recommend that athletes consider going one length shorter than they would normally use if they are concerned about paved/concrete crossing. Shane

Great. Thanks for the advice. Considering the pavement is such a small portion (I think it takes maybe 2 strides to get across and we do the loop 3 times) my 3/8" pyramid spikes should be good. 

Woops, I said 3/4 at first. Ha! Now that would be cray

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-10-29 12:47 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To spike or not to spike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart rate spike riding downhill?

Started by biggor
Views: 1943 Posts: 10

2007-09-25 9:24 AM jsttri

Spiked Gatorade - mischievous behavior at events

Started by cobannero
Views: 2048 Posts: 24

2007-05-09 10:02 AM davidb

HRM spikes - question for HRM users

Started by c_cic
Views: 724 Posts: 6

2006-10-10 2:53 PM BGTwinDad

heart rate spiking on hills

Started by tri-berkeley
Views: 916 Posts: 11

2006-07-27 10:46 AM DRM

Trainers Vs Spikes - What is faster?

Started by billypb
Views: 1785 Posts: 12

2005-03-18 6:18 PM RunningIsFun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : May 6, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on increasing your swim pace, free golf, bilateral breathing, paddle or fin usage, to kick or not to kick, dizziness, ocean swims and sighting.

date : February 13, 2007
author : trixie
comments : 1
Can't run outside in the snow? Think again. I flew up the first hill with surprising ease and power. The Yaktrax gripped into the ice like racing spikes on a rubber track. Sweeeeet.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.