General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 transition to full IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-31 11:18 AM

Subject: 70.3 transition to full IM
Hi,

I will be embarking on a 70.3 next year, the plan I have, Don Fink, says 22 weeks of training and maybe a full at 33 weeks (let's see). I am able to run half marathons (1.45hrs) and cycle 56 miles (max 3.00hrs) without any trouble swimming will be the down side and I have not previously done any brick sessions.

I'm thinking of doing 2x olympic distance to get used to race conditions

My question, should i stick to the 22 weeks given that I have no competitive swimming and no brick sessions. Also is it possible to do an IM 11 weeks after a 70.3?

These will be in the UK so will be not be until April onwards

Cheers

2013-10-31 12:03 PM
in reply to: timcheshire

User image

Subject: RE: 70.3 transition to full IM

Originally posted by timcheshire Hi, I will be embarking on a 70.3 next year, the plan I have, Don Fink, says 22 weeks of training and maybe a full at 33 weeks (let's see). I am able to run half marathons (1.45hrs) and cycle 56 miles (max 3.00hrs) without any trouble swimming will be the down side and I have not previously done any brick sessions. I'm thinking of doing 2x olympic distance to get used to race conditions My question, should i stick to the 22 weeks given that I have no competitive swimming and no brick sessions. Also is it possible to do an IM 11 weeks after a 70.3? These will be in the UK so will be not be until April onwards Cheers

Well, you kinda switched directions with that bolded part and threw in a curveball. Are you training for an IM with a 70.3 as a race sim day?  Or trainign for a 70.3 with an idea that maybe you can do an IM after?  If the former, that's pretty good timing IMO.  If the latter, for my experience, no.  An IM is a *completely* different animal than a 70.3.  This is especially true if your swim is as troubling as you say. 

Depending on the timing, you could of course train for an IM next summer-ish (although time getting short).  However, you need to (in my opinion) determine your priorities.  I don't think it's wise to add on an IM if your focus is getting through the HIM.

2013-11-05 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
What if your first attempt at 70.3 bonks? Will you really want to take on the full IM only a couple of months later? I say this having bonked my first one. I have since done two more (all in one racing season), and I now feel ready to tackle an IM .... in the spring. Before my first HIM I was all gun-ho about being able to take on an IM....now I know better. I can now see doing an HIM 5 weeks prior to an IM - because I know how to tackle the HIM and I would be training for the IM. But before I had this experience, it would have been a disaster.

Hoping that anecdotal opinion helps.
2013-11-05 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
not to throw any cold water on your idea, but that's a lot of commitment to consider all those races without having any insight to doing one.
(correct me if you've done a tri)

as ChrisM said, IM's are a different animal, from all aspects; the distance, the training, and the race itself.

personally I'd suggest to skip the IM idea for now, and concentrate on the Oly to HIM progression for 2014.

if you go at it too hard, too fast...this is a recipe for problems.

but, if you are so determined, the plan is doable, and I'd focus on the IM as the A race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 transition to full IM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Proper 70.3 To Full IM Separation

Started by rowanjones
Views: 1890 Posts: 11

2012-05-31 1:04 PM rowanjones

IM 70.3 FL vs. 70.3 New Orleans

Started by orthoboy
Views: 1616 Posts: 7

2009-06-20 8:16 PM charlieq

renaming the 1/2 IM to IM 70.3

Started by katherinel
Views: 1423 Posts: 7

2008-08-27 1:26 PM kuotaguy

IM California 70.3 almost full

Started by PGoldberger
Views: 634 Posts: 1

2007-11-02 4:24 PM PGoldberger

IM 70.3 FL Qualifiers for IM WI

Started by TriDDS
Views: 1069 Posts: 1

2006-10-17 7:29 AM TriDDS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.