General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do I put in special needs bags Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-02 9:02 PM

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
Subject: What do I put in special needs bags
I am racing in Ironman Arizona in a few weeks and this will be my first full Ironman as well as the first race I've done which has special needs bags.

I was planning on having my own nutrition stashed in transition, but what other kind of stuff is normal for a special needs bag?

Also, how do special needs bags work during the race? Thanks for the help guys.

2013-11-02 9:26 PM
in reply to: red66stang

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: RE: What do I put in special needs bags
SN bags are accessible somewhere around the 1/2 way point of the bike and run. They will be off to the side (much like a water stop) and as you pass you can either pick them up or just keep going. Pretty simple really.

I had a bunch of "what if" stuff in my bags. In the bike SN I had spare tubes and CO2 as well as chamois cream and spare nutrition. I used none of it.

In the run SN I had things like pepto tablets, band aids and aspirin. I wound up picking up some of the pepto but that was it. Don't put anything in there that you really want back.
2013-11-02 9:30 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
so you pretty much will not get the bag back? Thanks for the explanation, makes a lot more sense now.
2013-11-03 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I think some races explicitly state that SN bags won't be returned. IMCDA did give them back to us, but the next morning after the race. In either case, I don't think a huge effort is made to make sure these bags are secured so I wouldn't put anything in there you would hate to lose.

Good luck at IMAZ!
2013-11-03 9:17 AM
in reply to: cnsegura

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I plan on not getting my SN bags back.

Like others have said, available at approximately the half way point on the bike and the run.

In my bags:

On the bike I have a plan to pick up two fresh bottles of nutrition at SN. I have two premixed bottles in my SN bag plus a spare tube and CO2 in case I have had a flat on the first half of the ride. I don't put anything else in there (except maybe a stick of gum taped to the side of one of the bottles). I come to a complete stop at SN and trade out old bottles for new. Takes about 20 seconds and avoids me wobbling around trying to make the exchange while riding. If I don't need the flat-kit stuff I just leave it in the bag.

My run SN bag varies depending on what I think I would need. First time I had socks, water, bandaids, a cliff bar…… and didn't take anything. Second time I didn't turn in a run SN bag and didn't need it. Third time (Tahoe) I had a long sleeve shirt, small flashlight and a small bottle of gatorade and grabbed everything…. but really only needed the shirt.
2013-11-03 9:34 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I use mine for a "worst case" scenario.

Bike: Spare tube, 2 c02s, 3-hour bottle of nutrition, sunscreen (it's usually here where you realize you might have missed a spot if it's sunny out). In my first IM I stopped to pick up a Payday treat and some Advil, but in my 2nd and 3rd IMs I just put those on the bike with me. Special Needs is also a great place to shed a layer if you need to (arm warmers, gloves, etc.).

Run: extra socks, long sleeved shirt, snacks I can't find on the course - I like Tootsie rolls and salt/vinegar chips. Again, after my first IM I decided I could carry things like my favorite gel flavor, Advil, Gas-X, chap stick and Bio-Freeze (sample size) - that all just went in a ziplock baggie in my shorts. 

Something I really enjoyed in 2 of my races were inspirational cards that I had my family/friends prepare before the race. I asked them to write something, anything they wanted on 3x5 index cards and I placed them in my run SN bag. Picked them up at the halfway point and read them throughout the 2nd half of the race. Some were serious, some were funny - all were heartfelt and an extra boost of motivation. 

2013-11-03 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by red66stang

I was planning on having my own nutrition stashed in transition, but what other kind of stuff is normal for a special needs bag?

IMAZ is also my first so not an expert. You have received some good advice.
I would like to add though you are not allowed to stash anything in transition. The only thing in transition is your bike.
You will be given 2 transition bags where you can put your fresh clothes and nutrition.

Good luck! Check out the IMAZ board here in the Iron Distance section, great info. There is also an Ironman Arizona FB page.

Edited by KeriKadi 2013-11-03 1:26 PM
2013-11-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Something I really enjoyed in 2 of my races were inspirational cards that I had my family/friends prepare before the race. I asked them to write something, anything they wanted on 3x5 index cards and I placed them in my run SN bag. Picked them up at the halfway point and read them throughout the 2nd half of the race. Some were serious, some were funny - all were heartfelt and an extra boost of motivation. 

That's a great idea.

2013-11-03 4:59 PM

User image

The only things I grabbed from SN at Canada were from the run bag, both suggested by our FB group.   Little bottle of scope from the hotel room and a small towel I had frozen.

Two little bits of heaven right there (towel wasn't frozen but still cool, unlikely in AZ)

2013-11-03 5:16 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

New user
For the bike, I packed a spare tube, chamois butt'r, and some sunscreen. On the run, I packed a pair of socks, bandaids, and another chamois butt'r. The only thing I ended up using was the sunscreen.

For nutrition, I packed a peanut butter sandwich in each bag. I didn't originally plan on doing that, but I had a bunch of extra bread and peanut butter, so I figured why not. By the time I got to the bike special needs, my stomach had waaaay too much sweet stuff between gels and Perform. Those sandwiches were SO GOOD, and crucial to my race. So, definitely pack anything you think you 'might' need.

I hope your race goes well, and is fun!

Off the topic, do you have any pictures of your stang? I'm a mustang owner myself - 04 terminator.
2013-11-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: CCS_56_EX

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I tend to use my bike SN bag for the worst case scenario - in case I've somehow lost all my nutrition or something.  

For IMAZ last year I didn't stop at all, but for B2B this year I used the SN bag as a place to put the extra pair of gloves and wind jacket that I started the day off with.  Just in case I needed them, I also had extra chamois cream, CO2 cartridges, an extra tube and a couple of Halloween sized PayDay bars (which I definitely took with me

The run SN bag I use for stuff that I think I'm going to need as I KNOW I'll be finishing after dark.  

IMAZ had extra socks, nutrition, bandaids, and a long-sleeved tech tee.  The only thing I took was the long-sleeved shirt.  At B2B I had many of the same things with the exception of also having a head-lamp in there, and I grabbed both the shirt and the head-lamp and I'm REALLY glad I had both.  The night got both really chilly and really dark.  The people around me that I was running with also really appreciated my head-lamp as they were using it to see where they were going too!  

Best of luck and have a great time at IMAZ!   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do I put in special needs bags Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Transition/special needs bag checklist

Started by Jd_montgomery
Views: 2288 Posts: 6

2011-01-14 2:50 PM lisac957

Special Needs Bag

Started by jlpete98
Views: 614 Posts: 2

2009-04-13 12:47 PM ChrisM

Special Needs Bag

Started by tri_sport19
Views: 634 Posts: 6

2007-05-16 8:03 AM KenyonTri

Hey whats with special needs bags

Started by royj
Views: 868 Posts: 7

2004-08-06 1:30 PM madcow

transition bags and special needs bags

Started by montyb
Views: 1004 Posts: 2

2004-03-02 7:46 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.

date : September 22, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 2
A special tribute to a very special BT'er. We miss you. Thanks for continuing to inspire us.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?
date : September 15, 2004
author : tboepple
Women / Masters / Special Needs - Lauren Maule, Diane Proud, Tom Rodgers

date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
comments : 1
If anyone is considering expanding their horizons and getting into doing an Ironman distance or ½ Ironman distance race, there are many tips and tricks that can help in having a pleasant experience.