Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Coffee Connoiseurs - Time for Coffee Talk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-05 11:31 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Coffee Connoiseurs - Time for Coffee Talk

I know we have had this thread before (or something similar) but I'm in one of my journeys of discovery again.

I understand a simple cup of French Pressed is fantastic.  Many times my go-to, but I'm looking into the unique and different and hoped to start up some conversation.

I have had an espresso machine for years and STILL learning.  Realized I have pressurized protafilter that apparently reduced the complexity of a pulled shot and "fakes" a creama compared to the non pressurized portafilter that depends solely on grind and tamp (AND why manufacturers do that).  Finding that pulling your own shot of TRUE espresso is hard.  Mostly just getting fresh beans.  Easy to do at the coffee shop when you go through so much, tough to do at home.  Beans need to be hours to a day old, not weeks.

Bought a Bialetti Moka pot over the weekend and playing with that.  Makes an interesting coffee.  They call it espresso, but it's not.  Just strong coffee made with pressure.  Anyone use one and have any tips?  Thoughts?

I have sort of started a collection of coffee making devices and am thinking to adding a coffee syphon and an Aeropress to see what they can do.

I also had a friend suggest a Vietnamese coffee so next on the lest to get is a Phin filter.  It looks amazing.

Sorry to be long winded.  What's your unique or unusual coffee style/technique/suggestions?

2013-11-05 11:36 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Coffee Connoiseurs - Time for Coffee Talk
I use a moka pot for my daily brew. Since getting it, don't really use the French press anymore. I should have bought a bigger moka pot though.

This badboy will be on my xmas list.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bodum-pebo-34-oz-vacuum-coffee-m...

2013-11-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Forgot to add, drank my share of Cuban coffee in Miami and tons of Turkish/Greek coffee in my travels.  Need to get a Turkish coffee pot...  Just so happens, visiting there next month so it's on my "must purchase" list at one of the bazaars.

Edited by Kido 2013-11-05 12:22 PM
2013-11-05 11:56 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by running2far I use a moka pot for my daily brew. Since getting it, don't really use the French press anymore. I should have bought a bigger moka pot though. This badboy will be on my xmas list. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bodum-pebo-34-oz-vacuum-coffee-m...

Yeah, that looks fun.

I have a local cafe that has all of these devises available and can have them prepare coffee for you.  At least you can try it before buying the equipment.  Some of it seems like it would be great for a party.  Quite the presentation.

2013-11-05 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Originally posted by Kido

I know we have had this thread before (or something similar) but I'm in one of my journeys of discovery again.

I understand a simple cup of French Pressed is fantastic.  Many times my go-to, but I'm looking into the unique and different and hoped to start up some conversation.

I have had an espresso machine for years and STILL learning.  Realized I have pressurized protafilter that apparently reduced the complexity of a pulled shot and "fakes" a creama compared to the non pressurized portafilter that depends solely on grind and tamp (AND why manufacturers do that).  Finding that pulling your own shot of TRUE espresso is hard.  Mostly just getting fresh beans.  Easy to do at the coffee shop when you go through so much, tough to do at home.  Beans need to be hours to a day old, not weeks.

Bought a Bialetti Moka pot over the weekend and playing with that.  Makes an interesting coffee.  They call it espresso, but it's not.  Just strong coffee made with pressure.  Anyone use one and have any tips?  Thoughts?

I have sort of started a collection of coffee making devices and am thinking to adding a coffee syphon and an Aeropress to see what they can do.

I also had a friend suggest a Vietnamese coffee so next on the lest to get is a Phin filter.  It looks amazing.

Sorry to be long winded.  What's your unique or unusual coffee style/technique/suggestions?

If you have any ability to roast your own - that is always an option for the freshest beans.

The Moka is nice - but beware the possible over-pressurized flow out the top (our ceiling in the kitchen can attest to this).

With the Vietnamese coffee - couple of things: the filter is set up for pre-ground coffee (read: Folgers), don't use an espresso grind - use a more coarse grind (otherwise, you will be drinking a lot of beans). I really like it dripped over a tablespoon (or so) of condensed milk...one of my favorite iced coffee drinks.
2013-11-05 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
For most of the last two years, I've started my day with a double shot of espresso or prepared as a macchiato, cappuccino or latte depending on my mood. I've gotten pretty decent at pouring art and while I really enjoy drinking the coffee, I think the whole process of grinding, tamping, pulling and, if doing a milk drink, steaming and pouring were all elements of my enjoyment of the drink. I am fortunate to have a high quality roaster very close to work so I would pick up about 300g of beans every couple of weeks. I keep my beans in an airtight container and once I dial in a roast, I usually don't have to adjust further over the couple of weeks it takes to go through the beans. However, when my son was born in August, schedules were too unpredictable and I found that more often than not I wasn't able to pull a shot before I left for work as my grinder is very loud and if is often asleep while I get ready for work.

Currently have a drip machine at home that I use a couple of times a week and a French press that I use on the weekends. I love using the press but am not a huge fan of the clean up and sometimes I'll just go with drip on the weekends. I've been looking at getting a moka pot (especially for through the winter as we have a wood stove) but I haven't yet picked one up as I'm not sure I need another method of coffee prep. Have also been looking at vac pots and an aeropress but for me, these seem they would see very little use so likely not worth it.

At work I have a Clever Coffee Dripper which is a wonderful combination of a pour over and French press preparation; makes a good cup of coffee on par with my French press but with no clean up and also just requires a grinder, kettle, the dripper and a mug.

I've also though about getting into roasting but right now I just don't have the time to play around with any other hobbies; I'm quite happy right now to buy my beans from a roaster that I trust and just make great coffee.

Shane

2013-11-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Roasting my own, though sounding interesting is NOT something I need to get into!  I already make my own beer and wine and that's obsessive enough.  I know there are places that roast around here, I just need to look for them

I read on the internet how you can strip the guts out of my pressurized portafilter to make in non pressurized.  Tried it the other night and it failed.  Mostly due to old beans.  I would agree 100% with you.  The prep is the fun and that's why I want to refine that.  The pressurized portafilter increased the margin of error on grind and compaction by faking the creama.  However, if you have a pressurized one, I just learned you don't tamp to 30 lbs.  Tamping AND pressurized make it bitter (which I can attest).  It's either or.  Pulled a few shots with minor tamping and it tasted better.  However, I'm buying the suggested upgrade to the machine which is the non pressurized and working on my barista skills.

I THINK I have a good grinder.  80 dollar burr grinder, but I'm suspect that it get's it fine enough for espresso.  It's hit or miss.  I have better results with my blade, but that burns it sometimes.

2013-11-05 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
When I upgraded to a machine that didn't have a pressurized portafilter (from a Delonghi EC155 to a Gaggia Baby Class) I ended up having to go with a better grinder as my cheap ($40) burr grinder just wasn't cutting it. Started with a hand grinder which was great for grinding but very slow and eventually found a good deal on a decent grinder that is specifically an espresso grinder; that way I can leave my regular grinder for drip/press and use the espresso grinder for espresso.

Shane
2013-11-05 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I just learned the art of the French Press a few weeks ago. Oddly enough, spurred on by my son. I love it.

I am looking forward to trying some of the suggestions listed in this thread.

This weekend DH and I wandered in to a Williams Sonoma and saw this little beauty

2013-11-05 7:40 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

I've also wanted to try Vietnamese coffee, solely because of this video!

Evidently the music is Thai. But I don't care.  I LOVED it.

2013-11-06 2:46 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The phin filter is just an individual way to make drip coffee. There's nothing special about the taste. Vietnamese coffee is popular because it's very strong and (made with condensed milk) very sweet. A warning about the filter--the grind really matters. If you buy your coffee in Vietnam, it is ground assuming you're using a Vietnamese drip filter. It is hard to find the right grind in the US. You will have to experiment. Grinds for machines or presses go right thru the holes on the filter and make horrid coffee.

I like French press coffee but my life is too pathetic to set it up. I either get instant, coffee from our school dispenser (?? Maybe they drip it through a giant filter, or use a machine?), or go to a coffee shop. Here in Vietnam, I have invented my own drink and they will make it at my favorite café--café da va sua tuoi. It's very strong Vietnamese coffee (drip filter) over ice, with no sugar and a little fresh milk. (Cream is also great, but almost impossible to get here). Great stuff!

In Laos they often make drip coffee using the foot part of pantyhose. Not recommended, unless you happen to be Lao and this is your tradition!

2013-11-06 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Me?  I go to Starbucks and get the BOLD coffee with NO ROOM (aka black).  Not too fancy but it gets the job done

2013-11-06 10:57 AM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Tis the season for pumpkin! The coffee shop near my office has home grown/made pumpkin puree for their lattes/chais. While I normally take my caffeine black I do make a concession for this yummy treat.

2013-11-06 11:09 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by moondawg14

I've also wanted to try Vietnamese coffee, solely because of this video!

Evidently the music is Thai. But I don't care.  I LOVED it.

I found that too!  I even Shazamed the music and MAY get it.  It's called Ding Ding Dong by Waipod Phetsuphan.  Forwarded that to my wife to watch.  I went to the Asian market last night and bought the exact same condensed milk (since it was cheaper than the American counterpart) AND the same coffee since it's the same price as any coffee.

I was at a brunch and a Viet girl suggested it.  Sure glad she did.  The single serve filter device was 5 bucks!

2013-11-06 11:22 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Hot Runner The phin filter is just an individual way to make drip coffee. There's nothing special about the taste. Vietnamese coffee is popular because it's very strong and (made with condensed milk) very sweet. A warning about the filter--the grind really matters. If you buy your coffee in Vietnam, it is ground assuming you're using a Vietnamese drip filter. It is hard to find the right grind in the US. You will have to experiment. Grinds for machines or presses go right thru the holes on the filter and make horrid coffee. I like French press coffee but my life is too pathetic to set it up. I either get instant, coffee from our school dispenser (?? Maybe they drip it through a giant filter, or use a machine?), or go to a coffee shop. Here in Vietnam, I have invented my own drink and they will make it at my favorite café--café da va sua tuoi. It's very strong Vietnamese coffee (drip filter) over ice, with no sugar and a little fresh milk. (Cream is also great, but almost impossible to get here). Great stuff! In Laos they often make drip coffee using the foot part of pantyhose. Not recommended, unless you happen to be Lao and this is your tradition!

I'm sure you are mostly right.  Certainly have more experience than me.  However, what I'm finding (and I played around just to find out for fun), is that all these methods have interesting variations.

I got a big bag of fresh dark roast columbian and ran it through drip, the espresso machine, Moka pot, french press.  Different grinds and different tamps, etc.  It's fun to see the nuances.  I'm interested to see what a very slow drip does not and it was only $5 bucks to try it out.  If I don't like it, the coffee can be used for something else.  Turkish coffee is also an whole different beast.  That's what's fun about this.  Just collecting devices, tasting different methods, and of course, drinking my experiments!

I assume my grinder can adjust for the Viet coffee - I'll compare it to the store bought.  The fine grind is just enough for espresso, and I typically set it midway (10 out of 20) for standard drip.  20 out of 20 should be almost boulder sized or just crack the bean in half!

2013-11-06 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
My typical cup is a from a drip normally. It's easiest and for me, it gives the best coffee for the amount of effort. On the weekends though, I'll do a french press or Aero Press cup. If you haven't tried Aero press, it's nice. I've heard those vacuum brewers are great. It's next on my list to purchase. I got the aero press and mini grinder to take camping and it's great.

Where do you get your coffee from? I usually order mine online from direct trade suppliers. My favorite is Intelligentsia (because they're in Chicago) with Stumptown (Portland and little more "hip") a second. I don't order from them too much due to price. My normal is Just Coffee coop in Madison. On a price for taste level, they're good.

2013-11-06 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You can definitely grind your own beans for the Vietnamese filter. My parents do it occasionally; I just don't remember the setting. Kona (!) coffee is also very nice made the Vietnamese way IF you can grind it properly. Definitely buy the beans, not pre-ground, unless it's a Vietnamese brand from an Asian grocery, and experiment in small batches. If buying actual Vietnamese coffee, I'd recommend Trung Nguyen. There are some great boutique brands from small growers, which is what I buy people for gifts, but I haven't seen them outside Vietnam.

Oddly, I've never noticed that Vietnamese coffee (from beans) tests like anything special when made in an American coffee maker, which I suspect is what they do at school. About all that can be said for it is that it's strong! So it must be a combo of beans and method. The real attraction of classic Vietnamese coffee is the combo of strong coffee and super-sweet condensed milk. I'll occasionally have one (iced) after a really hard workout, but it's usually way too sweet for my taste.

Finally, if really into coffee, consider a bike or jeep tour of the coffee-growing highlands. I just returned from a trip a few weeks ago (somewhat aborted owing to a typhoon) and we had some amazing coffee right at the source. Some of the growers have tasting rooms and retail right next to the fields.
2013-11-06 6:19 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I would love to visit Vietnam.  My family took in 9 Vietnamese refuges back in 1979-1980 and they stayed with us for better part of the year.  I wish I realized then what a great experience that was.  I was just getting tired of Vietnamese cooking all the time (they did all the cooking for their 9 and our 6) and wanted some burgers or sloppy joes.  Hard to know what a treat what I WAS easting was in 5th grade.  Still some of my favorite food.

As for the coffee, went to the Asian market and got the exact coffee (pre ground) you mentioned.  The Trung Nguyen and the Longevity condensed milk.  I plan to make one as soon as I get home to try it out!  It should be early enough to not keep my up.

2013-11-06 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

I would love to visit Vietnam.  My family took in 9 Vietnamese refuges back in 1979-1980 and they stayed with us for better part of the year.  I wish I realized then what a great experience that was.  I was just getting tired of Vietnamese cooking all the time (they did all the cooking for their 9 and our 6) and wanted some burgers or sloppy joes.  Hard to know what a treat what I WAS easting was in 5th grade.  Still some of my favorite food.

As for the coffee, went to the Asian market and got the exact coffee (pre ground) you mentioned.  The Trung Nguyen and the Longevity condensed milk.  I plan to make one as soon as I get home to try it out!  It should be early enough to not keep my up.

I think we're going over Chinese New Year.   I know what I'll be drinking every morning!

Your family is AWESOME!   One of my dad's closest  co-workers came out of Saigon on a helicopter and eventually moved to the US.   The family that hosted them had NO IDEA that they were going to be hosting a couple and their 4 kids! 

He said that his dad came home one day and said:  We're leaving tomorrow. You can take one small bag.   We'll walk down the street at a certain time and a helicopter will come out of the sky and we'll get on it.    Sure enough, that's what happened.   He brought his stamp collection with him.  They went to a small island off the coast.   A few days later, some marines showed up at the island on a small boat and said "WE NEED TO GO NOW."  They left the rest of what they owned and got on the boat.    But they got out.

On a tangential, almost tri-related note:  That guy rides more than 10,000 miles a year on his bike, but does not commute via bicycle.  He's ridden over 250,000 miles since he started keeping track.

2013-11-07 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I was in the break room in my office and I noticed yesterday a new flavor of coffee among the usual K-Cup offerings:
"Wild Mountain Blueberry".

I mean, seriously. Just becuase you can doesn't mean you should.

2013-11-07 11:01 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by moondawg14

I think we're going over Chinese New Year.   I know what I'll be drinking every morning!

Your family is AWESOME!   One of my dad's closest  co-workers came out of Saigon on a helicopter and eventually moved to the US.   The family that hosted them had NO IDEA that they were going to be hosting a couple and their 4 kids! 

He said that his dad came home one day and said:  We're leaving tomorrow. You can take one small bag.   We'll walk down the street at a certain time and a helicopter will come out of the sky and we'll get on it.    Sure enough, that's what happened.   He brought his stamp collection with him.  They went to a small island off the coast.   A few days later, some marines showed up at the island on a small boat and said "WE NEED TO GO NOW."  They left the rest of what they owned and got on the boat.    But they got out.

On a tangential, almost tri-related note:  That guy rides more than 10,000 miles a year on his bike, but does not commute via bicycle.  He's ridden over 250,000 miles since he started keeping track.

That's a crazy story.  I forget the story of the people that stayed with us.  I seem to recall they were some of what they called the "Boat People".  The navy picked them up on a boat that was over crowded and ready to sink and had to do something with them.  Can't take them back because they were considered enemies of the state.  Our church said we would take them, but since they were an entire family and scared to death, it was felt it was best to keep them all together.  We had a big old house in St. Louis with a third floor that's basically one giant room that's probably 1500 sf all by itself, so they got that and a couple other bedrooms.  Other than a super crowded kitchen at meal times, it wasn't that cramped!

It was weird at the time, but looking back it was cool to see the entire family doing Tia Chi in our back yard early in the mornings.  Some of the younger men even played around with teaching me martial arts.

The FUNNY thing was we ran out of rice and my mom bought another box - which would have kept our family going for months.  We were out in just days.  So we got a 5 lb bag and were gone in just over a week.  My mom was like WOW, do we go through rice.  It took us about 2 weeks to realized we needed to by 40lb - 50 lb bags of the stuff.  BUT, it served the EXACT purpose it was meant to do.  Fed 15 people and only cost pennies a serving.  They weren't working so my mom and dad (along with money from the church) had to support everyone.  But if done right, it was pretty easy.

2013-11-07 11:03 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

OH, and I made my first viet coffee at home last night.  YUM!  A little too sweet prepared like the video.  I would cut the condensed milk in half for me.  I also made some with NO condensed milk and it was FANTASTIC.  I don't know if it was the Trung Nguyen coffee or the method, but I could wake up to that every day.

2013-11-07 1:21 PM

User image

Oakville
Curious what people think of percolators?

We currently have a fairly low end espresso machine, mid level drip coffee maker and a Tassimo, but I have heard that, for a regular cup of coffee, you can't beat a percolator.

2013-11-07 1:32 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Scott71 Curious what people think of percolators? We currently have a fairly low end espresso machine, mid level drip coffee maker and a Tassimo, but I have heard that, for a regular cup of coffee, you can't beat a percolator.

Those remind me of my church when I was a kid!  They had a couple giant sized ones.  I'm curious how it would taste since I wasn't a coffee drinker when I was a kid!.

My only thought/worry is over-extraction.  Sending water through the coffee continuously until it gets hot enough may result in bitter coffee (I'm just thinking).  I can't think of any other method that doesn't push water through (by gravity or pressure/force) only once. 

2013-11-07 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Scott71 Curious what people think of percolators? We currently have a fairly low end espresso machine, mid level drip coffee maker and a Tassimo, but I have heard that, for a regular cup of coffee, you can't beat a percolator.

Those remind me of my church when I was a kid!  They had a couple giant sized ones.  I'm curious how it would taste since I wasn't a coffee drinker when I was a kid!.

My only thought/worry is over-extraction.  Sending water through the coffee continuously until it gets hot enough may result in bitter coffee (I'm just thinking).  I can't think of any other method that doesn't push water through (by gravity or pressure/force) only once. 

For me, a percolator is "camp coffee."   Scoutmasters always had a perc pot sitting on top of the fire grate.    You need to make sure you have a very coarse grind.  That will help prevent the bitterness as much as possible.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Coffee Connoiseurs - Time for Coffee Talk Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Coffee atrocity

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 664 Posts: 19

2007-01-12 1:49 PM CitySky

peace coffee job

Started by autumn
Views: 482 Posts: 12

2006-11-28 1:28 PM run4yrlif

Coffee... "fair trade"

Started by tyrant
Views: 519 Posts: 1

2006-03-03 4:30 AM tyrant

Caribou Coffee

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1186 Posts: 10

2005-07-26 9:37 AM hoff1732

Morning Coffee?? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by rheros
Views: 2863 Posts: 51

2005-06-17 8:15 PM The Cracker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : July 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Recent studies have demonstrated that moderate to mild levels of caffeine (less than 300mg) do not promote dehydration during exercise.

date : May 17, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Not your typical review, but a review nonetheless. The first thing we triathletes need before any training can be contemplated is COFFEE! Learn how to make espresso for early morning workouts.
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on indoor bike workouts, IM fueling, coke or broth, bikes and swimming exercises.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.