Other Resources The Political Joe » I bought $20,000 in bikes this weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-12 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Subject: I bought $20,000 in bikes this weekend
...if I used the current administrations definition of purchasing a health care.

[htmlhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/11/11/who-counts-as-an-obamacare-enrollee-the-obama-administration-settles-on-a-definition/[html]

Now I understand that the shopping cart is the last step the government completes before handing it over to the private insurers and that only one plan can be put in the shopping cart. That said, this is still stupid. How was there no plan to confirm which enrollees have actually paid for insurance, completing the enrollment process?

2013-11-12 12:47 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: I bought $20,000 in bikes this weekend

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 ...if I used the current administrations definition of purchasing a health care. [htmlhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/11/11/who-counts-as-an-obamacare-enrollee-the-obama-administration-settles-on-a-definition/[html] Now I understand that the shopping cart is the last step the government completes before handing it over to the private insurers and that only one plan can be put in the shopping cart. That said, this is still stupid. How was there no plan to confirm which enrollees have actually paid for insurance, completing the enrollment process?

Because that would then creat a "list" of enrollees and all the tin-foil hat wearing electorate would scream ACLU murder if our Govt. created any new "Lists".

But that's just my .02 

2013-11-12 12:50 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 ...if I used the current administrations definition of purchasing a health care. [htmlhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/11/11/who-counts-as-an-obamacare-enrollee-the-obama-administration-settles-on-a-definition/[html] Now I understand that the shopping cart is the last step the government completes before handing it over to the private insurers and that only one plan can be put in the shopping cart. That said, this is still stupid. How was there no plan to confirm which enrollees have actually paid for insurance, completing the enrollment process?

Because that would then creat a "list" of enrollees and all the tin-foil hat wearing electorate would scream ACLU murder if our Govt. created any new "Lists".

But that's just my .02 

As opposed to the list of people with a plan in their shopping cart?
2013-11-12 2:31 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

I'm trying to stay out of this either way but this does beg a question.

If I have Obamacare in my shopping cart, that means I'm counted in having it; therefore I cannot be fined for not having health care. Right?
2013-11-12 2:37 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by DanielG I'm trying to stay out of this either way but this does beg a question. If I have Obamacare in my shopping cart, that means I'm counted in having it; therefore I cannot be fined for not having health care. Right?

You may have discovered the first 'loophole' in the ACA.  Congrats. 

2013-11-12 2:39 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Originally posted by DanielG I'm trying to stay out of this either way but this does beg a question. If I have Obamacare in my shopping cart, that means I'm counted in having it; therefore I cannot be fined for not having health care. Right?

I'm just looking at it completely objectively.

Can't have it both ways, either I've got Obamacare or I do not.
If I do, you cannot fine me
If I do not, you cannot count me as having it.

2013-11-12 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by DanielG

I'm just looking at it completely objectively. Can't have it both ways, either I've got Obamacare or I do not. If I do, you cannot fine me If I do not, you cannot count me as having it.

Not sure if you're just stirring the pot or legitimately asking.  Insurance companies have to send out letters to everyone they cover.  That letter needs to be submitted to the IRS with your taxes as proof of coverage.  I suppose you could try taking a screenshot of the shopping cart and sending that in, but I doubt the auditors will find it as humorous as I would.

2013-11-12 2:58 PM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Originally posted by kevin_trapp

I'm just looking at it completely objectively. Can't have it both ways, either I've got Obamacare or I do not. If I do, you cannot fine me If I do not, you cannot count me as having it.

Not sure if you're just stirring the pot or legitimately asking.  Insurance companies have to send out letters to everyone they cover.  That letter needs to be submitted to the IRS with your taxes as proof of coverage.  I suppose you could try taking a screenshot of the shopping cart and sending that in, but I doubt the auditors will find it as humorous as I would.

Neither, really. I just cannot STAND laws like this.

In some (most?) states:
A woman can go to an abortion clinic and have the procedure done. Perfectly legally.
If that woman were killed on the way to the clinic, the criminal could be charged with two counts of murder.

I don't give a damn which one of those goes but one of those laws has to be deleted.

This is pretty much exactly the same thing. Either I'm can be fined because I'm not on an insurance plan or I can not. Make up your damned mind.

2013-11-12 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Neither, really. I just cannot STAND laws like this. In some (most?) states: A woman can go to an abortion clinic and have the procedure done. Perfectly legally. If that woman were killed on the way to the clinic, the criminal could be charged with two counts of murder. I don't give a damn which one of those goes but one of those laws has to be deleted. This is pretty much exactly the same thing. Either I'm can be fined because I'm not on an insurance plan or I can not. Make up your damned mind.

They've made up their mind.  If you don't attach proof of coverage to your taxes, the IRS will fine you.  The above referenced article is just showing how the White House is cherry-picking numbers to make it sound like enrollment has been a bigger success than it's actually been.  

2013-11-12 4:44 PM

User image

Neither, really. I just cannot STAND laws like this. In some (most?) states: A woman can go to an abortion clinic and have the procedure done. Perfectly legally. If that woman were killed on the way to the clinic, the criminal could be charged with two counts of murder. I don't give a damn which one of those goes but one of those laws has to be deleted. This is pretty much exactly the same thing. Either I'm can be fined because I'm not on an insurance plan or I can not. Make up your damned mind.

They've made up their mind.  If you don't attach proof of coverage to your taxes, the IRS will fine you.  The above referenced article is just showing how the White House is cherry-picking numbers to make it sound like enrollment has been a bigger success than it's actually been.  

You do realize I'm aware of that, right? I'm pointing out a horsehockey pick and choose whichever way suits. It's wrong. I don't give a damn who does it, who has done it or who is responsible for it's having come to be. It's wrong.

2013-11-13 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Agree, it's all about political spinning of the numbers.  There's no question the numbers are way down and the administration wants to try and polish them up as best they can to fend of the critics.

We'll have a much better feel for the real numbers a few months into 2014 after the website "glitches" are hopefully fixed and people who want it get to enroll.

2013-11-13 9:17 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Boise
I haven't paid enough attention to this, but doesn't Obamacare's entire model rest upon lots of people signing up for it? Isn't this going to have some devastating consequences if enrollment doesn't pick up?
2013-11-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by JoshR I haven't paid enough attention to this, but doesn't Obamacare's entire model rest upon lots of people signing up for it? Isn't this going to have some devastating consequences if enrollment doesn't pick up?

Yep

All of the budget estimates were based on 7M people signed up on the exchanges by the end of 2014.  I read somewhere a while back that said if they don't hit the 7M by march or april of 2014 then the ACA becomes insolvent, but I can't find that article right now.

Here's the CBO estimations from earlier this year:
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44190_EffectsAffordableCareActHealthInsuranceCoverage_2.pdf

If you notice on the charts for 2014 they were estimating about 7M new people on the exchanges, 9M on Medicaid, a wash on employment-based coverage, 2M less people on nongroup plans, and a 14M decrease in uninsured.

Obviously it's still early, but what we've been seeing is a lot of cancellations from employment and nongroup plans and very few sign ups on the exchanges.  The last estimate I saw was around 5M people canceled and around 50k people signed up on the exchanges.

I suspect the medicaid number will likely pan out because that's free healthcare.  We have already far exceeded the cancellation projections so those are likely to only get worse.

Edited by tuwood 2013-11-13 9:47 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » I bought $20,000 in bikes this weekend Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 12, 2009
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.
date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle