Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Architectural elements that elicit a visceral response... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-13 4:55 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: Architectural elements that elicit a visceral response...
Could be a good or a bad response, some kind of feeling.

Today I found myself walking down the steps of the old medical school building. It is a wide staircase and the steps are stone. They were worn into waves and soft slopes by footsteps over the years. The rail was a sturdy, polished oak, held by scrolling iron balustrades. Old, worn, substantial. Beautiful.

I also really love old radiators. They remind me of my grandmother's house, which I loved, and, of course, of her. Awesome woman.

2013-11-13 5:09 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Architectural elements that elicit a visceral response...

Originally posted by switch Could be a good or a bad response, some kind of feeling.

Today I found myself walking down the steps of the old medical school building. It is a wide staircase and the steps are stone. They were worn into waves and soft slopes by footsteps over the years. The rail was a sturdy, polished oak, held by scrolling iron balustrades. Old, worn, substantial. Beautiful.

I also really love old radiators. They remind me of my grandmother's house, which I loved, and, of course, of her. Awesome woman.

One sec.... looking up visceral in the dictionary....    ahh, yes

OK, the worn stone footsteps totally do that to me as well.  The county courthouse here in Omaha has steps like that.

There's a golf course I golf on south of Omaha that has a very old abandoned stone house on it.  The house has three small child graves next to it.  Every time I go by there my mind rushes back to the 1800's trying to imagine the family that lived there.  It's a surreal experience.

2013-11-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

New user
My partner and I vacation in the Perdido Key FL area once or twice a year. Some years ago the area was heavily damaged by a hurricane. It went from having many small rental units to fewer really large storied units.

When the area was still in great disarray from the storm we drove along the main beach road. It was shocking to see the destruction, very massive and almost every structure was damaged in some way.

We then came upon a beautiful church. The church was sitting in the midst of all of this and looked completely untouched! Strong, steadfast, enduring, rugged, everlasting strength. For me the emotional impact was definitely faith based but the visual impact would have been striking anyway.

2013-11-14 9:20 AM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Bank vaults. All brass and stainless steel and highly polished. Beautiful and their appearance shows their functionality is perfect.
2013-11-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: powerman

Master
Memphis, TN
I work in the historic downtown of Memphis and we still have some old buildings and even some old cobblestone streets sections. It's really amazing to think that back in the day all the buildings were like them. Did people appreciate them back then since they were the norm? Probably not like we do today with our boring, vanilla buildings that are built on the cheap.

2013-11-14 9:34 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Originally posted by switch Could be a good or a bad response, some kind of feeling.

Pics???  A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.

2013-11-14 9:38 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by powerman

You mean like that?

Wow.  So, uh, anti-rectilinear... :)

2013-11-14 9:42 AM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri

Pics???  A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.

You're right.  I totally should have taken a pic.  I was talking with my husband about this idea this morning, and he reminded me of another building we frequent with beautiful steps like that.  I'll be there tomorrow, and will get a pic.

I always like threads with pics, so if people have them, by all means, post 'em!

I also thought of one that always makes me feel a little depressed when I use one, and that's a hollow core door.  It feels cheap and bad.  Not like.

2013-11-14 9:45 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Jtiger I work in the historic downtown of Memphis and we still have some old buildings and even some old cobblestone streets sections. It's really amazing to think that back in the day all the buildings were like them. Did people appreciate them back then since they were the norm? Probably not like we do today with our boring, vanilla buildings that are built on the cheap.

That's an interesting question.  I think people used to appreciate details and craftsmanship much more.  It would be a difficult thing to "prove" but it certainly doesn't seem like it.  (insert get off my lawn joke here)

2013-11-14 9:47 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by switch

You mean like that?

Wow.  So, uh, anti-rectilinear...

We call this Peyronies in the surgical world. Sometimes they get crooked and need a little help!
Sometimes they break during vigorous stuff.
Sometimes they get odd things poked up them!!
Oops got off track......
2013-11-14 9:50 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Chunga

You mean like that?

Wow.  So, uh, anti-rectilinear... :)

We call this Peyronies in the surgical world. Sometimes they get crooked and need a little help! Sometimes they break during vigorous stuff. Sometimes they get odd things poked up them!! Oops got off track......:)

Ahhh, Mary.  This is one of the many reasons you rock:)

2013-11-14 9:54 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Jtiger I work in the historic downtown of Memphis and we still have some old buildings and even some old cobblestone streets sections. It's really amazing to think that back in the day all the buildings were like them. Did people appreciate them back then since they were the norm? Probably not like we do today with our boring, vanilla buildings that are built on the cheap.

That's an interesting question.  I think people used to appreciate details and craftsmanship much more.  It would be a difficult thing to "prove" but it certainly doesn't seem like it.  (insert get off my lawn joke here)

My Dad grew up as a painter working in mansions in Texas. Nobody, and I mean nobody can do what he can do with a brush. In fact, a long time family owned brush company began talking with him. He asked why they changed their brush, and told them how it needed to be. He sent them samples of the differences, and the owner said he has never seen a brush do that kind of work. He went broke because nobody will pay for it. They all want it fast and cheap. It isn't hard to prove, it is reality and has been for a long time.

2013-11-14 9:58 AM

User image

Elite

That is actually a church that is making the news because of it's shape when viewed from above. They said it's in no way related, and that they are not changing anything... but come on, you can't tell me the architect wasn't giggling for the ribbon cutting.

2013-11-14 10:01 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Chunga

You mean like that?

We call this Peyronies in the surgical world. Sometimes they get crooked and need a little help! Sometimes they break during vigorous stuff. Sometimes they get odd things poked up them!! Oops got off track......

I had a visceral response to that.  

2013-11-14 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Notre Dame... nuff said.

2013-11-14 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

My Dad grew up as a painter working in mansions in Texas. Nobody, and I mean nobody can do what he can do with a brush. In fact, a long time family owned brush company began talking with him. He asked why they changed their brush, and told them how it needed to be. He sent them samples of the differences, and the owner said he has never seen a brush do that kind of work. He went broke because nobody will pay for it. They all want it fast and cheap. It isn't hard to prove, it is reality and has been for a long time.

That's a great example. Just out of curiosity, what kind of brush did your dad go to then? 

I guess what I meant by "hard to prove" is the appreciation part.  I am assumming there are some people who appreciate quality craftsmanship and detail work, but they don't feel they can afford it.  Perhaps it's a chicken-or-the-egg argument; when we built our home, I tried to put in the best stuff we could afford, but there is ultimately a line at some point.  

I do love all of the salvaged wood in our home.  You literally can't buy new dimensional lumber or flooring like that any more.  These are true, 3" x 12" quarter-sawn oak joists that were salvaged out of a church that was destroyed in a tornado.  The fir flooring above, again true 2" x 10", was salvaged from a corn crib and a miller replaned it for us.

(joists.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
joists.jpg (2000KB - 1 downloads)

2013-11-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

That's a great example. Just out of curiosity, what kind of brush did your dad go to then? 

I guess what I meant by "hard to prove" is the appreciation part.  I am assumming there are some people who appreciate quality craftsmanship and detail work, but they don't feel they can afford it.  Perhaps it's a chicken-or-the-egg argument; when we built our home, I tried to put in the best stuff we could afford, but there is ultimately a line at some point.  

I do love all of the salvaged wood in our home.  You literally can't buy new dimensional lumber or flooring like that any more.  These are true, 3" x 12" quarter-sawn oak joists that were salvaged out of a church that was destroyed in a tornado.  The fir flooring above, again true 2" x 10", was salvaged from a corn crib and a miller replaned it for us.

He continued to use their brush, because he can't find any others that are that good. But it matter what percentages of what type of hair you use for what job you are doing. You can't paint good with a crappy brush. For giggles my Dad brushed his pick up truck just because he could. Everyone wanted to know how many thousands he paid for such an incredible custom job... nobody believed he did it with a brush. All high gloss enamel work. Everything looks like it was dipped in glass. ... oh, and yes, he can spray just as good.

He can pretty much do anything. He was restoring and old home he lived in in Texas for a while. It's nearly 100 years old. He would show me all the building technics of the time and how they did things. Everything was true dimensions. He built a backgammon board with all inlaid wood. Everyting is wood except the hinge. Even the dice cups. We played on it a lot. It appraised at a few thousand... but that one is not leaving the family. Took about two years. He's a dying breed.

Edited by powerman 2013-11-14 10:35 AM
2013-11-14 10:37 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

He continued to use their brush, because he can't find any others that are that good. But it matter what percentages of what type of hair you use for what job you are doing. You can't paint good with a crappy brush. For giggles my Dad brushed his pick up truck just because he could. Everyone wanted to know how many thousands he paid for such an incredible custom job... nobody believed he did it with a brush. All high gloss enamel work. Everything looks like it was dipped in glass. ... oh, and yes, he can spray just as good. :)

He can pretty much do anything. He was restoring and old home he lived in in Texas for a while. It's nearly 100 years old. He would show me all the building technics of the time and how they did things. Everything was true dimensions. He built a backgammon board with all inlaid wood. Everyting is wood except the hinge. Even the dice cups. We played on it a lot. It appraised at a few thousand... but that one is not leaving the family. Took about two years. He's a dying breed.

OK, I have a crush on your dad :) Is that weird?

2013-11-14 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

When I was in NYC for the marathon, I took a lot of pictures of the buildings.  And it won't be long and the good old buildings will be destroyed and replaced with new.  The reasoning is that to bring an old building up to the new codes they say costs way too much money and it is cheaper to completely tear it down and build new taller buildings.

I think I could walk around Manhatten for a few weeks and still not get all the cool old buildings.  There are some great graffiti buildings that I only got pictures of while on a speeding subway train through their dirty windows.  But, some of that was amazing also.

2013-11-14 11:02 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm always astonished by Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Construction on it was finished almost 800 years ago, and it took almost a century to build by guys on wooden ladders using ropes and pulleys. The largest bell in the tower weighs 13 tons. It's just an awe-inspiring place.

(Notre-Dame-in-Paris.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Notre-Dame-in-Paris.jpg (580KB - 1 downloads)
2013-11-14 11:47 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Tejas
I've got to go with Italy. Florence, Rome, Vatican City. Amazing craftsmanship and detail in those old buildings. I think I could have spent a week just looking at the floor in St. Peter's Basilica.

2013-11-14 11:58 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

(duck blind.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
duck blind.jpg (124KB - 1 downloads)
2013-11-14 12:00 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by mdg2003 I've got to go with Italy. Florence, Rome, Vatican City. Amazing craftsmanship and detail in those old buildings. I think I could have spent a week just looking at the floor in St. Peter's Basilica.

The Duomo in Florence is by far one of the most breathtaking buildings I've ever seen.

2013-11-14 12:08 PM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

I Love photographing architectural images and abstracts. 

If interested, here is a link to some of my travel images. (too many to post here). http://www.paulebyphotography.com/p538482600

It's not all architectural, but definitely shows some unique creations. 

2013-11-14 12:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Left Brain

Nice!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Architectural elements that elicit a visceral response... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

QUIZ: What is your element? Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 1976 Posts: 28

2010-05-20 1:28 PM Sammeg

Honda Element Pages: 1 2

Started by medic1962
Views: 2374 Posts: 31

2010-02-06 8:23 AM bzgl40

Devil's Response to Pat Robertson

Started by pga_mike
Views: 880 Posts: 6

2010-01-16 11:45 PM Gaarryy

Quiz: Which earth element are you?

Started by Renee
Views: 763 Posts: 14

2009-08-31 10:23 AM gobluedds

A Poet's Response to Laura Bush's Invitation (long)

Started by misscullen
Views: 520 Posts: 12

2007-09-18 12:53 PM Rynamite
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 24, 2005
author : dara
comments : 0
An explanation about how the cardiovascular system works, so that it makes more sense about how the human body responds to exercise in the heat.