General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Geting fit to be triathlon fit. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-13 8:30 PM

Subject: Geting fit to be triathlon fit.
I'm nearly at that stage. I am running 5x a week, cycling 5x a week ( The pool work is in development )
I am doing a lot of gym work and am enjoying the sight of people 20yrs my junior not having the same endurance levels as me.

I should be ready in my personal mind at the end of December to train for a triathlon. But how? No one ever tells you that part if you're a complete beginner like me and have no programme or structure to rely on.

Do I keep up what I'm doing, up the intensity or start a whole new learning curve?

So advice would be great from experienced triathletes. Sure no one person's body and mind will be the same, but I'm sure there is a whole core of stuff that a beginner like me would find really useful to prepare my body for what I'm planning to be my 1st race in the late summer of 2014.

2013-11-13 8:53 PM
in reply to: saint100

User image

, New York
Subject: RE: Geting fit to be triathlon fit.
Do you have an idea of what kind of race you want to do? sprint? oly? How long are each part? where is it? If you are doing 5x running and 5x biking (for how long?) then you are definitely ready except for the swimming. I did a self planned triathlon training that started in January of last year in brief it was two months of heavy running followed by two months of heavy cycling finishing with two months of heavy swimming. (I shouldve done swimming first). I did my first tri at 500 m swim with an 8 mile bike and a 3.5 mile run. Finishing in an hour and nine. The swimming was the hardest but I was prepared for it. The rest was more than fine. It was a huge learning curve even though I tried to prepare myself for the small nuances.
2013-11-13 8:54 PM

Consider reading the Triathlete's Training Bible. Sounds like you are already well on your way. Good luck.
2013-11-13 11:48 PM

User image

, California
I went from "couch" to tri in 4 months so you are ahead of where I started. I dont know what 20 yrs junior would be for you but i am 48. I found a plan here on BT and worked it as close as possible. I finished my tri feeling perfectly prepared given my plan. I would advise to find a plan here, work it, follow the forums and ask the community for any advice you need along the way. BT is an invaluable resource for us newbies.

After completing my first tri, I am hooked and continuing with my training.

Good luck!
2013-11-14 4:26 AM
in reply to: Trbilbao

User image

Queen Creek, Arizona
you definitely can do it ..

i was doing the same. then I decided on a local oly race. I used a 20 week plan from here at BT. once race day came it was fun, i finished strong and ready for more.

the plans and the mobile version here is going well for me. i take the phone to the gym and fallow and log the workouts.

just pick a race, then a plan, fallow it and smile. the pain of the workout becomes a drug

2013-11-14 5:38 AM
in reply to: ranman69

Where do I find these plans on BT, what thread?.
My rides are 25 miles and runs up to 7-8 miles. I just have the luck to have a job where I get the time.

Here in Tennessee we seem to get a lot of races to choose from. There is a summer Solstice Duathlon/Triathlon that I'm planning on.

And I'm 43 and my 't hurting which is a major bonus

Thanks for the help.

2013-11-14 7:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Training Plans are on the menu at the top of the page. Some are free and some you need a membership to access. It sounds like you have pretty good fitness already for a short course race, so work on the swim a little and you should be good to go.

Originally posted by saint100

And I'm 43 and my 't hurting which is a major bonus

What ?
2013-11-14 7:30 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Wow--good for you!

If you're riding 25 miles and running 7-8 already, you definitely have the bike run part well underway.

If you're targeting a Summer Solstice race, and you already are doing the kind of volume you are on the B/R, you could definitely be shooting for an oly.  I wouldn't recommend something longer than that for someone's first tri, though there are plenty of people who do that too :)

The swim for a sprint is 750m  (or under), but an oly swim is a big deal at 1500m.  For many, the swim is the most challenging component. 

Where are you with the swim?

We are about to start a book based discussion on Swim Speed Secrets in the Challenge Forum.  We have many different levels of swimmers in that group, and  you're welcome to join us.  I have read this book and wish I would have read it when I started trying to figure out the swim as the pictures and descriptions are so helpful.

Good luck and welcome :)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Geting fit to be triathlon fit. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri bike fit vs Road bike fit

Started by DJones107
Views: 1477 Posts: 6

2010-10-05 7:46 AM DJones107

Set up road bike fit like a tri bike fit

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3350 Posts: 16

2010-08-23 8:45 PM audiojan

Comparing Online Fit With Professional Fit

Started by jsselle
Views: 1377 Posts: 11

2009-09-21 1:41 AM audiojan

2D/3D Bike fit vs traditional fit

Started by TBriggs
Views: 1737 Posts: 2

2009-05-11 2:44 PM KathyG

spinner fit vs. roadie fit

Started by movingsouth
Views: 3193 Posts: 8

2009-03-31 10:35 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : March 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Our regular USAT coach chat with lots of tips including discussions on Computrainers, bike fitting and position, triathlon and marathon training, Tim DeBoom lunges and nutrition.

date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I too was a beginner triathlete...and in many ways, I still am! 6 years ago, I was an overweight woman who considered herself relatively fit until I was told I should start running.
date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.