General Discussion Triathlon Talk » very slow breathing while running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-14 10:32 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: very slow breathing while running
OK, so I have made a commitment to improve my run over the winter. So to avoid injury and just log a bunch of miles I am using training based on heart rate, most notably using the Maffetone Method. So with this method I am supposed to be running at or below roughly 140 HR. When I first started I noticed that I would hit this mark quite quickly and have to walk for a short stint to get back below 140 then start light jogging again. I noticed taht running under 140 kept me injury free for the entire second half of my training this year, so I am sticking with it. My question is this though......... After doing this method for awhile now I have really come to notice that even if I run at the same exact speed for a certain period of time (easily duplicated on the treadmill using the same speed) that I have a ton of control over my HR just by adjusting my breathing.

If I breathe every other step or even every 3rd or 4th step, my HR tends to drift up faster than if I take really long deep breath's. When I say long, I am talking about breathing in over the course of 6 sometimes up to 8 steps and then slowly breathing out on 6 to 8 steps as well. When I do this, I can slow watch my HR drop and then stay at a much lower rate than if I breathe quicker. Is there anything wrong with taking such long slow breath's? Should I really be using my breathing THAT MUCH to control my HR? Might be a stupid question, I might just get the answers of "breath however the heck you like". Just want to be sure that i'm not doing any harm by using my breathing so much to suppress my HR. Thanks in advance

2013-11-14 12:58 PM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: very slow breathing while running

If you're serious about HR training, you need to read this thread:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&page=1

Your breathing should really be a non-issue.

Mark

2013-11-14 1:53 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: very slow breathing while running

I'm not a run expert...  But honestly?  I don't think about it.  I just breath when I need.  Fast when running fast, slow when running slow.  I might find my HR eventually going up if I'm trying to force some kind of pattern or how shallow/deep I breath.

You body breaths on it's own with no mental intrusion 99.9% of your life.  I'm sure it can figure out the most efficient way to get in O2 while exerting yourself.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » very slow breathing while running Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

swimming - how much does breathing slow you down?

Started by feh
Views: 1261 Posts: 10

2010-01-04 11:04 PM So Fresh So Clean

Does breathing every other stroke slow you down? Pages: 1 2

Started by vabeachnut1
Views: 3950 Posts: 31

2008-05-23 10:56 AM sharp4850

long slow runs - how much slower?

Started by couch potato no more
Views: 1805 Posts: 11

2008-04-27 6:11 PM Jazon71

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1851 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Super-slow run in a tri race compared to stand-alone running race

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1404 Posts: 8

2005-08-24 2:41 AM John_0026
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : February 4, 2011
comments : 1
Drills and suggestions to make bilateral breathing seem effortless

date : November 19, 2007
author : Coach AJ
I'm wondering if anyone else has had luck with moving to a five-stroke breathing pattern. Is this okay for endurance swimming? What are its benefits and drawbacks?
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : January 10, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 0
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.