General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » One Year of Running + One Tri Attempted Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-03 2:50 PM

User image

New user

San Rafael, CA, USA
Subject: One Year of Running + One Tri Attempted
I started running on the first of January 2013 as a new year resolution. I couldn't run for 30 seconds without feeling the classic "my chest was about to explode".

I did the C25K program and my first race was the Marin Marathon 5K at the end of March where I placed 2nd in my age group of 9 runners. Hard for me to believe I did so well and has hooked me on more racing. The camaraderie of the racing community is addictive! Even my non-running wife enjoyed it.

I've done 8 events this year. All running events except for one "Tri 4 Fun". The swim was a challenge but fun. Every event was a good time.

Last weekend my last event of the year was the Marin Turkey Trot 5K. Placed 8th of 60 runners in my age group (M50-59) and 126 of 662 overall.

I'm not sure if this qualifies for FOP, maybe FOP for the MOP group. :-)

Considering where I started, I'm happy to report that the biking and running are relatively easy. I have lots to learn about swimming. I'm joining a Tri club at my local YMCA next year and look forward to a great 2014.

-Bob

2013-12-03 8:31 PM
in reply to: forestplay

Subject: RE: One Year of Running + One Tri Attempted
Congratulations - those are great results! Especially for someone just starting...

I've been stuck in in the MMOP forever.
2013-12-04 7:17 AM
in reply to: forestplay

User image

Subject: RE: One Year of Running + One Tri Attempted
Don't sweat the swim! It takes a lot of practice and patience. I just started to learn how to swim last summer.... I mean, I knew NOTHING more about swimming than how to get from shore to the dock doing some sort of breast stroke. I lucked into meeting someone who taught kids at the Y how to swim and he offered to teach me. I also used the Effortless Swimming program, which really helped immensely with fine-tuning my form. There really is a lot to form with swimming and always stuff to improve, but I find it's like the "reset" workout for me. It focusses my mind and soothes my aches. I always feel wonderful after a swim workout.

Pretty impressive that you're jumping into the tri after only a year of running!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » One Year of Running + One Tri Attempted Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

One year tobacco-free...ready to tri.

Started by kenj711
Views: 2058 Posts: 15

2011-01-08 12:59 AM shrevemaintenance

I want to race my first IM for my 60th BDay - in one year

Started by maryc2010
Views: 753 Posts: 2

2009-04-28 4:15 PM newleaf

One of the many, one of the few...

Started by brynn
Views: 866 Posts: 7

2007-07-06 11:24 PM newbiedana

Got to tri one

Started by fitPhil
Views: 817 Posts: 9

2004-07-09 11:39 AM kelpeng

First Tri in One Week

Started by goin4slim
Views: 850 Posts: 12

2004-06-08 9:54 AM Whizzer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : April 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Do you have jerky one leg drills? Learn about this drill along with several tips and workouts to start improving your pedaling technique.
date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.
date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.

date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.