of 9

2013-12-04 9:41 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Political Joe TAN
Originally posted by Hoos

Originally posted by JoshR The high in Boise for the next few days is.....23.

Try coming to Calgary.  The high for the next few days is zero.   Fahrenheit.

We don't quite get down that far. In January we had a stretch of about a week where The high for the day was around 15 and the low was around -5. Of course my furnace went out during that period on a Saturday when no one can fix it until Monday.

2013-12-04 9:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by JoshR You know what I despise? The health insurance industry with or without Obamacare. We're about to have our 2nd child and I'm already dreading going through this hassle again. Here is how it's going to work. - Baby Oliver is born and I give the hospital my insurance info - I ask my work to add him, but I have to wait until I get his SS number which takes 2-3 months - Insurance company sends me a letter saying he's not on my insurance so they won't pay - I finally get a SS card for him and send it in to my work along with proof of birth - I call up the hospital and tell them to rebill my insurance - Inevitably it won't have been processed yet so it will be rejected - I call again, this time it works - I get 200 statements in the mail most stating "This is not a bill" - 6 months after he is born I get to find out what the damage is Awesome.

I was too happy when all of my kids were born to worry about that kind of stuff.  In the end it all works out like it's supposed to.  I agree that it seems needlessly long and ridiculous, but compared to my children being healthy and happy..........I couldn't care less.

Oh I am very happy about the healthy baby. but being sleep deprived and on a tight budget, dealing with all of this just stresses me out too much.

Try having two at once..........it was stupid how little we slept.....and then we met a gal with triplets, and felt normal again.  

As for budget......there was a 3 or 4 month period, before I got my schedule worked out a bit and we also found a remarkable woman who came to our home to watch the kids when we were working, where we were paying 1800.00 per month for childcare.  I wanted to eat one of the twins.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-04 9:54 AM
2013-12-04 9:55 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

We don't quite get down that far. In January we had a stretch of about a week where The high for the day was around 15 and the low was around -5. Of course my furnace went out during that period on a Saturday when no one can fix it until Monday.

When I was in Middle school I had a paper route in Sioux City, IA and had to walk around my trailer park delivering about 350 papers.  Took me a good 2 to 3 hours if I had to walk it, but I would usually ride my moped as long as there wasn't snow/ice on the roads.

One winter morning in the late 80's I remember the temperature being around -25° F with a wind chill of something like -60° F.  My moped engine was frozen solid and I had to walk the whole thing.  I didn't have long underwear or snowpants either so I remember stopping at several houses where people were awake just to thaw out for a few minutes.  That morning was very painful.  Oh, and a bunch of old people still yelled at me for their paper being late. lol

2013-12-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by tuwood

When I was in Middle school I had a paper route in Sioux City, IA and had to walk around my trailer park delivering about 350 papers.  Took me a good 2 to 3 hours if I had to walk it, but I would usually ride my moped as long as there wasn't snow/ice on the roads.

One winter morning in the late 80's I remember the temperature being around -25° F with a wind chill of something like -60° F.  My moped engine was frozen solid and I had to walk the whole thing.  I didn't have long underwear or snowpants either so I remember stopping at several houses where people were awake just to thaw out for a few minutes.  That morning was very painful.  Oh, and a bunch of old people still yelled at me for their paper being late. lol

just did a google.  Might have been in 1985 because it seems to correlate to this article:
http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-21/news/mn-14199_1_temperature-records

2013-12-04 9:57 AM

User image

Pro

I bet it was uphill all the way around too.

2013-12-04 10:00 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I bet it was uphill all the way around too.

How'd you know?  lol

Well, there were a lot of hills, so I was going up and down the whole route.  Good ole Hollyville  (http://www.mobilehomeparkstore.com/mobile-home-parks/60203-holiday-village-in-sioux-city-ia)

2013-12-04 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

The high deductible "catastrophic" plans are the only thing that makes sense for people my age, it is a shame they are going away.

I went to the doc when I was a kid for broken bones only, nothing else. 

From 18-28 (current) I have been once. And it was because I was working for the County government and was planning on quitting. Because it was free to go I went and did everything, no real need but I figured if I was going to have insurance for another month I better find out if I was terminally ill or something.

It is sad that the ACA did absolutely nothing about the cost of healthcare. My brother in-law is the same age as me, found out a few weeks ago that he had testicular cancer. It was a simple out patient procedure to have it removed but the cost is still going to be over $20k for them out of pocket. Not small change for a hair stylist and a welder. A few weeks after the surgery he went in for a test and they found his cancer levels higher than they were before the surgery, so they started to talk chemo. Four sessions of chemo was going to be over $100k. My sister and he just bought their first house and were staring down the barrel of losing that house. Luckily a subsequent test had the levels lower so he may clear up on his own yet. 

I just can't help but think we would all be better off if an outpatient procedure didn't cost $30k (more if they were insured) and a session of chemo wasn't $25k. Absolutely ridiculous IMO. 

2013-12-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Chicago
You guys have crappy jobs if your healthcare costs are going up. Why don't you just go get a job at a company that offers cheaper out-of-pocket premiums like responsible, hard-working people have instead of just whining about how bad you have it.
2013-12-04 10:38 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony You guys have crappy jobs if your healthcare costs are going up. Why don't you just go get a job at a company that offers cheaper out-of-pocket premiums like responsible, hard-working people have instead of just whining about how bad you have it.

Exactly.  I just recently got done writing a check to cover my out of pocket for my knee surgery. $100.00.   I was kind of pizzed off.  The hernia surgery I had 3 years ago only cost me 50 bucks.

2013-12-04 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Originally posted by mr2tony You guys have crappy jobs if your healthcare costs are going up. Why don't you just go get a job at a company that offers cheaper out-of-pocket premiums like responsible, hard-working people have instead of just whining about how bad you have it.

Exactly.  I just recently got done writing a check to cover my out of pocket for my knee surgery. $100.00.   I was kind of pizzed off.  The hernia surgery I had 3 years ago only cost me 50 bucks.

I know. I get pizzed that I have to pay $100 a month for my health insurance. And then when I go to the doctor I have to pay an extra $20 out of pocket. I'm not made of frickin' money here!!!
2013-12-04 10:45 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Aarondb4

From 18-28 (current) I have been once. 

When you were a kid did you never get strep throat or anything like that? I seemed to get it every couple of years.

Hope your healthy good luck streak continues - wow!

2013-12-04 10:48 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony

I know. I get pizzed that I have to pay $100 a month for my health insurance. And then when I go to the doctor I have to pay an extra $20 out of pocket. I'm not made of frickin' money here!!!

See....that's bullchit that you only pay $100.00.  We have to pay $230.00 per month for our entire family.  Still, doctor visits are free so I guess it all evens out.

2013-12-04 10:50 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by lisac957

When you were a kid did you never get strep throat or anything like that? I seemed to get it every couple of years.

I think the only times I ever went to the Dr. as a kid were for broken arms, I had a nasty infection in my leg from a spider bite once and for a few physicals to participate in HS swimming.
2013-12-04 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

What did Obama say to Jeff Bezos?

Trade ya some drones for a working website

*du-dum - crash*
2013-12-04 10:56 AM

User image

Pro

I think the only times I ever went to the Dr. as a kid were for broken arms, I had a nasty infection in my leg from a spider bite once and for a few physicals to participate in HS swimming.

I broke my arm once as a kid.  My dad put my arm/cast in a vise and took it off with a hammer and chisel.  He said he didn't see the point in paying a doctor.

2013-12-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by bradleyd3

What did Obama say to Jeff Bezos?

Trade ya some drones for a working website

*du-dum - crash*

(I haven't bother to look up how to link an image so just click this)

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imager...

2013-12-04 10:59 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

I broke my arm once as a kid.  My dad put my arm/cast in a vise and took it off with a hammer and chisel.  He said he didn't see the point in paying a doctor.

I fell off the monkey bars and shattered both my wrists. Full arm casts on both arms for a month. Then once I got down to half arm casts, another kid sat on one of them on accident and I had to have it reset. Fun times.
2013-12-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I fell off the monkey bars and shattered both my wrists. Full arm casts on both arms for a month. Then once I got down to half arm casts, another kid sat on one of them on accident and I had to have it reset. Fun times.

My oldest daughter sat between my twins when they were in car seats.  One of the twins had her arm hanging out, broke both bones in her forearm right in half.  8 weeks later they took the cast off and realized they had missed that her elbow was dislocated.  They had to put her to sleep and re-break her arm to put her elbow back in place.  Probably the hardest I have ever cried in my life....she was only 2.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-04 11:10 AM
2013-12-04 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

Originally posted by JoshR You know what I despise? The health insurance industry with or without Obamacare. We're about to have our 2nd child and I'm already dreading going through this hassle again. Here is how it's going to work. - Baby Oliver is born and I give the hospital my insurance info - I ask my work to add him, but I have to wait until I get his SS number which takes 2-3 months - Insurance company sends me a letter saying he's not on my insurance so they won't pay - I finally get a SS card for him and send it in to my work along with proof of birth - I call up the hospital and tell them to rebill my insurance - Inevitably it won't have been processed yet so it will be rejected - I call again, this time it works - I get 200 statements in the mail most stating "This is not a bill" - 6 months after he is born I get to find out what the damage is Awesome.

I was too happy when all of my kids were born to worry about that kind of stuff.  In the end it all works out like it's supposed to.  I agree that it seems needlessly long and ridiculous, but compared to my children being healthy and happy..........I couldn't care less.

Oh I am very happy about the healthy baby. but being sleep deprived and on a tight budget, dealing with all of this just stresses me out too much.

Try having two at once..........it was stupid how little we slept.....and then we met a gal with triplets, and felt normal again.  

As for budget......there was a 3 or 4 month period, before I got my schedule worked out a bit and we also found a remarkable woman who came to our home to watch the kids when we were working, where we were paying 1800.00 per month for childcare.  I wanted to eat one of the twins.

Hmm, seems like a modest proposal.
2013-12-04 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Ok, spent 2 hours on applying for the California exchange last night.

Has anyone else not not head about the "cost sharing" plans on the exchanges?

For those making between 100% and 250% of the federal poverty level, there are "enhanced" silver available on the exchange. For an example, a couple roughly 30 years old making approx $30,000 could qualify for the Enhanced Silver 87 Plan. Premiums are $591/month, but only $115 after subsidies. Here is where the enhanced part kicks in though: out of pocket maximum is 2250/person and 45000 family. The standard gold and silver plans are about 3x that. Co pays are about are half of the standard plans.

In other words, a couple in their 30s in the Northern California making $30,000 a year can get arguably the best plan on the exchange for $115 a month. There is no provision to remove them from that plan during the year if it turns out they massively underestimated their 2014 income. Is it really shocking that premiums are rising for everyone else?
2013-12-04 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Just reading that made me cringe. I broke a lot of bones as a kid in bike wrecks, falls, fights, playing sports, etc etc etc. but I can't even imagine breaking both arms at once.

2013-12-04 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
A couple of interesting stories out today.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/04/pf/college/student-loan-debt/index....

This is going to be such a massive drag on the economy for years to come. I don't think anyone is thinking about this very clearly at all.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/04/news/companies/libor-europe-fines/i...

I'm tired of seeing fines. They don't do anything. Most of them aren't even big enough to be noticeable in the first place. They should require them to suspend some operations or something for these types of violations.
2013-12-04 2:44 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Nope, never been for an illness, just the clinic for a broken leg, arm, ankle, etc. I have never had an antibiotic. I don't have anything to back this up at all but I don't really like the idea of antibiotics. My wife's family is borderline hypochondriac and love going to the doctor for every little thing. My wife was of a similar mindset having been born with a brain tumor that wasn't correctly diagnosed until she was 12, so she grew up in the doctor's office. They all seem to get sick more often and when they do get sick it is much worse. My wife gets sick a lot and grew up on antibiotics, when she manages to get me sick I always come out much better than her.

Like I said, just extremely wild conjecture, but I don't like antibiotics, and generally don't think they are a good idea. I won't go to a doc unless I am bleeding profusely or have seriously broken something. Might eventually bite me in the rear, but it has been going okay so far. Rub some dirt in it or walk it off!

Like I said earlier I am sad to see the catastrophic plans go, given my wife's history I wouldn't mind paying bottom dollar for something that just makes sure we don't have to declare bankruptcy if something goes wrong. Like a $20k deductible or something with no other benefits. I could stomach paying $50-100 a month for something like that. But the cheapest plan my wife was able to find this summer was $450 a month just for her and that was pre-ACA, don't even want to know what it would be now. We are dual income no kids so the subsidy thing isn't likely to help. She is hoping to get her bosses to pony up for healthcare sometime in the near future, but who knows if that will happen. 

2013-12-04 3:00 PM

User image

My mom was an RN and my dad was an X-Ray tech. 

I went to an endocrinologist for a growth hormone issue for about 18 months, and an orthopedist to set a broken hand once.  That was the extent of my "doctor" visits. 

As a side note, Mom enjoyed administering my delatestryl shots every 3 weeks.

2013-12-04 3:16 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
So ... is having health insurance fiscally responsible?
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Political Joe TAN Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Best political news in awhile.

Started by ejshowers
Views: 1255 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 2:33 PM spudone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : VeloPress
comments : 0
Coach Joe Friel Simplifies Power Meters with New User Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?
date : September 3, 2004
author : tboepple
Joe Friel - Periodization

Joe Friel, Bike Technique & Training (Physiology)
Aero Positioning on the Bike – John Cobb

Details on the first Texas Triathlon Camp with Tom Rodgers, Joe Friel, John cobb, Lauren Maule and Andre Rizo.