2013-12-16 11:18 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Political Joe TAN

Hey, PoTan!

Hope everyone had great weekend.

Bears won!-Yay!  Cowboys lost. Normally a Yay, but they let GB beat them, so Boo.

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Does ANYONE besides Seattle want to win the SuperBowl?!  (Not that the Bears have ANY chance

2013-12-16 1:16 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Hey, PoTan!

Bears won!-Yay!  Cowboys lost. Normally a Yay, but they let GB beat them, so Boo.

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Does ANYONE besides Seattle want to win the SuperBowl?!  (Not that the Bears have ANY chance

Seahawks! Seahawks!

I have nothing further to contribute.
2013-12-16 1:23 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by JoshR

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Seahawks! Seahawks!

Slow down now, all it is going to take is back to back home losses against Arizona and St Louisfrom Seattle and SF will clinch the division.

I'm wondering if I should head to Vegas to put money on that? :p
2013-12-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: tuwood

Just a drive by hello....Steelers are done. Sigh.
2013-12-16 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Seahawks! Seahawks!

Yesterday worked out pretty well for the Seahawks. They got to play in the super bowl-host venue, run their offense on the same turf, familiarize themselves with the facility and the weather conditions. And they got to scrimmage against a team with a few actual NFL players on it.
2013-12-16 1:36 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Seahawks! Seahawks!

Yesterday worked out pretty well for the Seahawks. They got to play in the super bowl-host venue, run their offense on the same turf, familiarize themselves with the facility and the weather conditions. And they got to scrimmage against a team with a few actual NFL players on it.

I feel bad for you guys. Eli is going to cost $20m/yr for the next few years. I haven't watched enough games to know why he's sucking, but man, a few of those interceptions were just bad. The 1st one to Sherman, that's Sherman's bread and butter play. I swear half of his INT's are that exact play.

2013-12-16 1:42 PM

User image

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Pats are in a rebuilding year and still have a shot to get the first seed......just saying.

If the rebuilding Pats get to the SB, I'll take them without the points against Seattle. Giant Stadium might as well be Foxboro South come February.

2013-12-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Pats are in a rebuilding year and still have a shot to get the first seed......just saying. If the rebuilding Pats get to the SB, I'll take them without the points against Seattle. Giant Stadium might as well be Foxboro South come February.

Pats = No Red Zone offense and no true "Go To" receiver. 

2013-12-16 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Pats are in a rebuilding year and still have a shot to get the first seed......just saying.

If the rebuilding Pats get to the SB, I'll take them without the points against Seattle. Giant Stadium might as well be Foxboro South come February.

Didn't we already do that game when the Pats had Welker and Gronk? I think it ended like this.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Highlight-Wilson-to-Ri...

It also spawned this

(11707427-mmmain.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
11707427-mmmain.jpg (44KB - 4 downloads)
2013-12-16 3:30 PM

User image

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Pats are in a rebuilding year and still have a shot to get the first seed......just saying. If the rebuilding Pats get to the SB, I'll take them without the points against Seattle. Giant Stadium might as well be Foxboro South come February.

Pats = No Red Zone offense and no true "Go To" receiver. 

That and a whole list of other setbacks and they'll get a first round by and maybe the 1st seed.

any lessor franchise (read Jets) would have collapsed.
2013-12-16 3:31 PM

User image

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Didn't we already do that game when the Pats had Welker and Gronk? I think it ended like this.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Highlight-Wilson-to-Ri...

It also spawned this

I want to see him throw that in 5 degree weather.

2013-12-16 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hey, PoTan!

Pat Lost

Broncos Lost

Didn't we already do that game when the Pats had Welker and Gronk? I think it ended like this. http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Highlight-Wilson-to-Ri... It also spawned this
I want to see him throw that in 5 degree weather.

Coldest winter I ever spent was my summer in Seattle, err San Francisco.

2013-12-16 5:45 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Sooner or later, people are going to have to admit that the ever-growing disparity in wealth in this country is completely unsustainable. It's completely absurd to claim that there's "class warfare" in a country where the disparity between the richest Americans and the poorest is wider than it's ever been in our history and getting wider every day. If the wealthy are losing this class warfare, who's winning? Because it isn't the shrinking middle class and the poor. Giving the wealthiest Americans unfettered opportunuty to grow greater and greater wealth in the vain hope that it somehow dribbles down to everyone else in some substantial measure isn't a solution and hasn't ever been. In fact, it's gotten us exactly to where we are today. It's amazing to me that we've somehow gotten to a place where a lot of people believe that the poor are to blame for our weak economy, that if we stripped our entitlement programs down to nothing, that everything would be fixed, and that, when you point out that an economy where less 5% of the population controls 50% of the wealth is, at the very least unstable, you get accused of waging "class warfare". If indeed there is class warfare in this country, I think a lot of people aren't on the side they'd like to think they're on.
I lost you here... You point out the absurdity of suggesting that the liberals are using class warfare as a political weapon yet you are giving a class warfare argument for the reasons for the sluggish economic for the foreseeable future. I'm not aware of anyone who has any legitimacy on the right claim that the poor is to blame for the weak economy (I am sure I can Google some obscure idiot back-bencher if I tried). Yet daily the liberals who have political legitimacy blame the rich and use it as a tool to increase their power and ideology. And like I said, if you hear it enough times it starts to become a self fulfilling prophecy. It's not hard to find examples of this. Just look to Obama who shilled class warfare as an argument to grow government in his speech yesterday. "The combined trends of increased inequality and decreasing mobility pose a fundamental threat to the American Dream, our way of life, and what we stand for around the globe. And it is not simply a moral claim that I’m making here. There are practical consequences to rising inequality and reduced mobility...... ......So this is an issue that we have to tackle head on. And if, in fact, the majority of Americans agree that our number-one priority is to restore opportunity and broad-based growth for all Americans, the question is why has Washington consistently failed to act? "
So, just to make sure we're on the same page here: In your opinion, trying to take steps to decrease economic inequality and increase the opportunity for economic mobility constitutes "Class Warfare"? I'll ask again, if the rich are losing in this class warfare, who's winning? The 75% of Americans who are sharing ten percent of the wealth? That's a Pyrrhic victory if I've ever heard one. And I'm no "Occupy Wall Street" person either. I'm much closer to the 1% than I ever thought I'd be growing up, but I'm realistic enough to recognize that if the only people who have a real opportunity to succeed are the people who were lucky enough to be born into families with means, we're going to continue to get further and further apart. And yes, any kid and pull himself up by his bootstraps and put his shoulder to the wheel and his nose to the grindstone and be a CEO someday, but it's folly to ignore the obvious truth that it's overwhelmingly easier to get ahead in this country when you come from a wealthy family than if you come from a middle class background. And I guess you haven't been paying attention, but you don't have to look any farther than this board to see the poor being blamed for the troubled economy. If it were up to many people here, welafre, unemployment, and other social services would be ground down to next to nothing. On one thread, you have people saying stuff like, "people should get off unemployment and try to support their family on their own, even if it means flipping burgers", while on the next thread you have people saying, "flipping burgers is for college students" and not for anyone who needs to make an actual living. The tenor is "I've got mine, and eff everyone else." I especially enjoyed the person bemoaning his rotten luck that he was too wealthy for his kids to be eligible for financial aid.

Hey now, don't be picking on me.    BTW, it doesn't bother me one bit about my son getting screwed on his student loans, but it certainly effects his ability to be upwardly mobile out of school.  He did come from an affluent family and the deck is stacked AGAINST him now that he's on his own.  I know it doesn't support your argument, but it's the reality of it.  I'll also tell you this.  Even with the deck stacked against him, he will be successful in life and it has nothing to do with anything that's been handed to him, he will do it because he believes in himself and doesn't listen to the negative nancy's who tell him that he can't succeed because the rich are screwing him over.

To add onto Jackemy's point earlier income distribution does nothing for the economy other than simply taking "chips" from one person and giving them to another, minus the house fees which is the government inefficiencies.  If you take $10k from me and give it to Fred in the hood, it doesn't help the economy.  You're just letting him spend it on what he'd spend it on vs. what I'd spend/invest it on.  I know you're not a fan of trickle down economic's growing the economy, but does trickle up work any different?  If I spend $10k on a new couch then I'm employing people at the furniture factory and the factories that make the parts for the furniture, etc...  If Fred spends the money on a couch as well isn't he doing the exact same thing by employing people at the furniture factory?  I guess the point is that it's a wash because the same money is put into the economy, just by different people and in different places.  Heck, even if it's me using the 10k for a vacation to Florida or Fred spending 10k to buy a used car for his family, it's still the exact same $ going into the economy, so nothing is improved.  OK, one more used car can get hired, but Disney has to lay one person off, so it's still a wash.

I'm not an economist by any stretch of the imagination, but it is pretty clear that simply redistributing money does nothing for the overall economy.  It does attempt to "right a supposed wrong", but what's the point?

I saw this a few weeks back and think it's fitting:  (http://www.stacymakescents.com/poor-is-a-state-of-mindand-so-is-rich)

I talk to people nearly every day who are struggling to make ends meet.  Financially, things are tight and there is often little hope of things getting any better.  By their very situation, most would call them poor.  I think that’s wrong.  You may not have any money, but you are not necessarily poor. Poor is a state of mind.  If you are short on cash, that doesn’t mean you’re poor.  If you are behind on all your bills, that doesn’t mean you’re poor.  If you don’t know where your next meal is coming from, that doesn’t mean you’re poor either.  You’re only poor when you admit defeat, sit down anddecide you are poor.  This is a very serious (and bad) place to be.  When you are poor, you stop believing in yourself. When you’re poor, you start looking at others and believing they are evil for having more than you do.  When you’re poor, you decide the government (or the church, the community, your neighbor, etc.) owes you something because you’ve been wronged.  In other words, poor is the decision to give up on succeeding financially.

2013-12-17 1:41 PM

User image

Sooner or later, people are going to have to admit that the ever-growing disparity in wealth in this country is completely unsustainable. It's completely absurd to claim that there's "class warfare" in a country where the disparity between the richest Americans and the poorest is wider than it's ever been in our history and getting wider every day.

If the wealthy are losing this class warfare, who's winning? Because it isn't the shrinking middle class and the poor. Giving the wealthiest Americans unfettered opportunuty to grow greater and greater wealth in the vain hope that it somehow dribbles down to everyone else in some substantial measure isn't a solution and hasn't ever been. In fact, it's gotten us exactly to where we are today.

It's amazing to me that we've somehow gotten to a place where a lot of people believe that the poor are to blame for our weak economy, that if we stripped our entitlement programs down to nothing, that everything would be fixed, and that, when you point out that an economy where less 5% of the population controls 50% of the wealth is, at the very least unstable, you get accused of waging "class warfare". If indeed there is class warfare in this country, I think a lot of people aren't on the side they'd like to think they're on.

I lost you here...

You point out the absurdity of suggesting that the liberals are using class warfare as a political weapon yet you are giving a class warfare argument for the reasons for the sluggish economic for the foreseeable future.

I'm not aware of anyone who has any legitimacy on the right claim that the poor is to blame for the weak economy (I am sure I can Google some obscure idiot back-bencher if I tried). Yet daily the liberals who have political legitimacy blame the rich and use it as a tool to increase their power and ideology. And like I said, if you hear it enough times it starts to become a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's not hard to find examples of this. Just look to Obama who shilled class warfare as an argument to grow government in his speech yesterday.

"The combined trends of increased inequality and decreasing mobility pose a fundamental threat to the American Dream, our way of life, and what we stand for around the globe. And it is not simply a moral claim that I’m making here. There are practical consequences to rising inequality and reduced mobility......

• .....So this is an issue that we have to tackle head on. And if, in fact, the majority of Americans agree that our number-one priority is to restore opportunity and broad-based growth for all Americans, the question is why has Washington consistently failed to act? "

• So, just to make sure we're on the same page here: In your opinion, trying to take steps to decrease economic inequality and increase the opportunity for economic mobility constitutes "Class Warfare"? I'll ask again, if the rich are losing in this class warfare, who's winning? The 75% of Americans who are sharing ten percent of the wealth? That's a Pyrrhic victory if I've ever heard one. And I'm no "Occupy Wall Street" person either. I'm much closer to the 1% than I ever thought I'd be growing up, but I'm realistic enough to recognize that if the only people who have a real opportunity to succeed are the people who were lucky enough to be born into families with means, we're going to continue to get further and further apart. And yes, any kid and pull himself up by his bootstraps and put his shoulder to the wheel and his nose to the grindstone and be a CEO someday, but it's folly to ignore the obvious truth that it's overwhelmingly easier to get ahead in this country when you come from a wealthy family than if you come from a middle class background.

And I guess you haven't been paying attention, but you don't have to look any farther than this board to see the poor being blamed for the troubled economy. If it were up to many people here, welafre, unemployment, and other social services would be ground down to next to nothing. On one thread, you have people saying stuff like, "people should get off unemployment and try to support their family on their own, even if it means flipping burgers", while on the next thread you have people saying, "flipping burgers is for college students" and not for anyone who needs to make an actual living. The tenor is "I've got mine, and eff everyone else." I especially enjoyed the person bemoaning his rotten luck that he was too wealthy for his kids to be eligible for financial aid.

When the basis of your argument separates Americans into different classes to push a political and economic agenda then yes your position constitutes class warfare.

The ideology that Americans must be group and identified by adjectives, in this case rich/poor/middle class, is divisive and and foreign. People came here because they wanted to get away from arbitrary adjectives and qualifier to their citizenship. They didn't want to be identified as rich Americans or poor Americans or middle class Americans. They wanted to just be Americans.

Now as for hating those that won the gene lottery? Why?

I mean I've been around long enough to see the next generation gene pool winners blow their family wealth. The great thing about America is that Paris Hilton is going to spend a heck of a lot more than she earns and that will benefit a ton of entrepreneurial gene pool losers.

2013-12-17 2:00 PM

User image

Sooner or later, people are going to have to admit that the ever-growing disparity in wealth in this country is completely unsustainable. It's completely absurd to claim that there's "class warfare" in a country where the disparity between the richest Americans and the poorest is wider than it's ever been in our history and getting wider every day.

If the wealthy are losing this class warfare, who's winning? Because it isn't the shrinking middle class and the poor. Giving the wealthiest Americans unfettered opportunuty to grow greater and greater wealth in the vain hope that it somehow dribbles down to everyone else in some substantial measure isn't a solution and hasn't ever been. In fact, it's gotten us exactly to where we are today.

It's amazing to me that we've somehow gotten to a place where a lot of people believe that the poor are to blame for our weak economy, that if we stripped our entitlement programs down to nothing, that everything would be fixed, and that, when you point out that an economy where less 5% of the population controls 50% of the wealth is, at the very least unstable, you get accused of waging "class warfare". If indeed there is class warfare in this country, I think a lot of people aren't on the side they'd like to think they're on.

I lost you here...

You point out the absurdity of suggesting that the liberals are using class warfare as a political weapon yet you are giving a class warfare argument for the reasons for the sluggish economic for the foreseeable future.

I'm not aware of anyone who has any legitimacy on the right claim that the poor is to blame for the weak economy (I am sure I can Google some obscure idiot back-bencher if I tried). Yet daily the liberals who have political legitimacy blame the rich and use it as a tool to increase their power and ideology. And like I said, if you hear it enough times it starts to become a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's not hard to find examples of this. Just look to Obama who shilled class warfare as an argument to grow government in his speech yesterday.

"The combined trends of increased inequality and decreasing mobility pose a fundamental threat to the American Dream, our way of life, and what we stand for around the globe. And it is not simply a moral claim that I’m making here. There are practical consequences to rising inequality and reduced mobility......

• .....So this is an issue that we have to tackle head on. And if, in fact, the majority of Americans agree that our number-one priority is to restore opportunity and broad-based growth for all Americans, the question is why has Washington consistently failed to act? "

• So, just to make sure we're on the same page here: In your opinion, trying to take steps to decrease economic inequality and increase the opportunity for economic mobility constitutes "Class Warfare"? I'll ask again, if the rich are losing in this class warfare, who's winning? The 75% of Americans who are sharing ten percent of the wealth? That's a Pyrrhic victory if I've ever heard one. And I'm no "Occupy Wall Street" person either. I'm much closer to the 1% than I ever thought I'd be growing up, but I'm realistic enough to recognize that if the only people who have a real opportunity to succeed are the people who were lucky enough to be born into families with means, we're going to continue to get further and further apart. And yes, any kid and pull himself up by his bootstraps and put his shoulder to the wheel and his nose to the grindstone and be a CEO someday, but it's folly to ignore the obvious truth that it's overwhelmingly easier to get ahead in this country when you come from a wealthy family than if you come from a middle class background.

And I guess you haven't been paying attention, but you don't have to look any farther than this board to see the poor being blamed for the troubled economy. If it were up to many people here, welafre, unemployment, and other social services would be ground down to next to nothing. On one thread, you have people saying stuff like, "people should get off unemployment and try to support their family on their own, even if it means flipping burgers", while on the next thread you have people saying, "flipping burgers is for college students" and not for anyone who needs to make an actual living. The tenor is "I've got mine, and eff everyone else." I especially enjoyed the person bemoaning his rotten luck that he was too wealthy for his kids to be eligible for financial aid.

If you showed me a good economic argument that we should centrally manage the economy to produce income equality then I would say that your argument was not based in class warfare but economic thought.

But looking at how well the Soviet Union, pre-market reform China, and North Korea did with economically with trying to eliminate income inequality, I think it is a tough argument that having people with a lot more money that other people is a bad thing for the economy.

2013-12-17 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago
    Originally posted by tuwood

Hey now, don't be picking on me.    BTW, it doesn't bother me one bit about my son getting screwed on his student loans, but it certainly effects his ability to be upwardly mobile out of school.  He did come from an affluent family and the deck is stacked AGAINST him now that he's on his own.  I know it doesn't support your argument, but it's the reality of it.  I'll also tell you this.  Even with the deck stacked against him, he will be successful in life and it has nothing to do with anything that's been handed to him, he will do it because he believes in himself and doesn't listen to the negative nancy's who tell him that he can't succeed because the rich are screwing him over.

Oh, quit your whining and pay for his college -- you can afford it. Frankly, I don't want to subsidize your rich son's college education. I'd rather my money goes to someone who needs it rather than someone who's rich parents refuse to pay for his college out of greed.

Geez Tony you act like you're so oppressed when in fact you have everything you need and a ton of stuff you don't need. In fact, instead of buying another new gun or adding the HAL2K1 defense system to your home, do him a solid and pay his tuition.

Your son isn't getting screwed on his loans -- that's how the system works for everybody. He doesn't qualify. And besides, if he can just get by because he believes in himself, then he doesn't need your money or a subsidized loan.

2013-12-17 3:44 PM
    in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mr2tony
    Originally posted by tuwood Hey now, don't be picking on me.    BTW, it doesn't bother me one bit about my son getting screwed on his student loans, but it certainly effects his ability to be upwardly mobile out of school.  He did come from an affluent family and the deck is stacked AGAINST him now that he's on his own.  I know it doesn't support your argument, but it's the reality of it.  I'll also tell you this.  Even with the deck stacked against him, he will be successful in life and it has nothing to do with anything that's been handed to him, he will do it because he believes in himself and doesn't listen to the negative nancy's who tell him that he can't succeed because the rich are screwing him over.

Oh, quit your whining and pay for his college -- you can afford it. Frankly, I don't want to subsidize your rich son's college education. I'd rather my money goes to someone who needs it rather than someone who's rich parents refuse to pay for his college out of greed. Geez Tony you act like you're so oppressed when in fact you have everything you need and a ton of stuff you don't need. In fact, instead of buying another new gun or adding the HAL2K1 defense system to your home, do him a solid and pay his tuition. Your son isn't getting screwed on his loans -- that's how the system works for everybody. He doesn't qualify. And besides, if he can just get by because he believes in himself, then he doesn't need your money or a subsidized loan.

2013-12-17 3:53 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood Hey now, don't be picking on me.    BTW, it doesn't bother me one bit about my son getting screwed on his student loans, but it certainly effects his ability to be upwardly mobile out of school.  He did come from an affluent family and the deck is stacked AGAINST him now that he's on his own.  I know it doesn't support your argument, but it's the reality of it.  I'll also tell you this.  Even with the deck stacked against him, he will be successful in life and it has nothing to do with anything that's been handed to him, he will do it because he believes in himself and doesn't listen to the negative nancy's who tell him that he can't succeed because the rich are screwing him over.

Oh, quit your whining and pay for his college -- you can afford it. Frankly, I don't want to subsidize your rich son's college education. I'd rather my money goes to someone who needs it rather than someone who's rich parents refuse to pay for his college out of greed. Geez Tony you act like you're so oppressed when in fact you have everything you need and a ton of stuff you don't need. In fact, instead of buying another new gun or adding the HAL2K1 defense system to your home, do him a solid and pay his tuition. Your son isn't getting screwed on his loans -- that's how the system works for everybody. He doesn't qualify. And besides, if he can just get by because he believes in himself, then he doesn't need your money or a subsidized loan.

You gotta admit, the HAL2K1 Defense System comment was pretty damn funny.  LOL

2013-12-17 4:10 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

lol, it did make me laugh too.

I need to go refresh my thread where I was "whining" about paying for his college.  It has nothing to do with being able to afford college, it has to do with a personal choice to let my kids pay for their own college so they will value it more.
    I thought progressives were Pro Choice, so I'm not sure what the big deal is of me choosing how we pay for college.  

2013-12-17 4:19 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago

Originally posted by Left Brain

lol, it did make me laugh too.

I need to go refresh my thread where I was "whining" about paying for his college.  It has nothing to do with being able to afford college, it has to do with a personal choice to let my kids pay for their own college so they will value it more.
    I thought progressives were Pro Choice, so I'm not sure what the big deal is of me choosing how we pay for college.  

That picture of Tard is racist.

And tell your son to join the military -- then he can get the GI Bill.
    2013-12-17 4:41 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

I was just going to ask what your reasons were for choosing to not pay for your kids college when it appears you could afford to. Not that your money is any business of mine or anyone elses... but it's an interesting discussion.

Have you thought about a hybrid solution - like matching him dollar for dollar on his scholarships or his contributions, or loaning (with minimal interest) him the money yourself and having him pay it back? 

I don't want this to come out wrong, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a parent who can afford to help with something like college tuition - but chooses not to.

2013-12-17 4:45 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    I totally get what you are trying to do there tupuppy. If I was in your shoes I would like to do the exact same thing honestly. You want your kids to be self reliant and not suffer from Afflunza.
    2013-12-17 5:16 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
    Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by lisac957

I was just going to ask what your reasons were for choosing to not pay for your kids college when it appears you could afford to. Not that your money is any business of mine or anyone elses... but it's an interesting discussion.

Have you thought about a hybrid solution - like matching him dollar for dollar on his scholarships or his contributions, or loaning (with minimal interest) him the money yourself and having him pay it back? 

I don't want this to come out wrong, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a parent who can afford to help with something like college tuition - but chooses not to. 

I, also, 'declined' to pay for my son's college tuition.  He was a mediocre student, at best, in HS.   "You can work, you can take out loans and go to school, you can join the military or you can do a combination of the 3.  But I'm not paying for you Weight-lifting/Yoga/Basket Weaving class, your $6.50 grande mochachinos or you 11:30 PM Dominos cravings.  I will send you home with leftovers and clean laundry and spot you a few bucks every once in a while.  It's YOUR life and it starts NOW." 

My Air Force Airman now takes his college education waaay more seriously.

And while I'm guessing you didn't 'mean' it to come out wrong.  Almost every time you have to preface a comment with "I don't want this to come out wrong....." it usually does. 

PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR THE PATH, NOT THE PATH FOR YOUR CHILD!  (author unknown)

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-12-17 5:19 PM
    2013-12-17 6:14 PM
    in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

I didn't think it came out wrong and is a valid question.

One of the biggest challenges that all parents face is to not spoil their kids to the point that it harms them later in life.  I'm sure we all know parents who have "spoiled" their kids to the point that they destroy them as adults.  I don't profess to have all the answers, but my wife and I try to do our best to make our kids self sufficient citizens who don't need somebody else to prop them up in life.

We could just hand them off to college and pay for everything, but what does that accomplish?  If anything I feel it allows people to just segregate our kids as "rich kids" who had everything handed to them.  That's why I find it funny that when we don't actually hand our kids everything and encourage them to build themselves up I get tongue lashed for being greedy.  It's a lose lose.

The true funny part is our kids really appreciate the fact that we're doing what we're doing.  My son flat out told me that he feels so much better knowing that he's doing things on his own and that he's going to be successful like his Dad on his own. 

2013-12-18 5:11 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
    Madrid

I didn't think it came out wrong and is a valid question.

One of the biggest challenges that all parents face is to not spoil their kids to the point that it harms them later in life.  I'm sure we all know parents who have "spoiled" their kids to the point that they destroy them as adults.  I don't profess to have all the answers, but my wife and I try to do our best to make our kids self sufficient citizens who don't need somebody else to prop them up in life.

We could just hand them off to college and pay for everything, but what does that accomplish?  If anything I feel it allows people to just segregate our kids as "rich kids" who had everything handed to them.  That's why I find it funny that when we don't actually hand our kids everything and encourage them to build themselves up I get tongue lashed for being greedy.  It's a lose lose.

The true funny part is our kids really appreciate the fact that we're doing what we're doing.  My son flat out told me that he feels so much better knowing that he's doing things on his own and that he's going to be successful like his Dad on his own. 

I think I have some thoughts on this. We are hoping to be able to pay for most of our daughters college educations. Obviously its different strokes for different folks but I'll try and explain as best I can through a head cold induced haze here.

- Background: My older daughter just finished her first semester at one of the leading universities in the US. This not a brag but I mention it because in our case it makes a difference with respect to what and how and if we are willing to pay for. In our case we are more open to paying because of the quality of the education she'll be getting. We would not be open to paying the same amount for a lesser school.
    - It also makes a big difference for us that the kid is focused. I fully get that not every kid knows what they want to study or do and need time to discover that. In our case we're fortunate that the daughter knew exactly what she wanted to study and what she intends to do with it post grad. I would be less willing to underwrite the full cost of a few years of discovery.
    - In our case the plan is to fund both daughters educations from a combination of savings, current earnings, and a minimal amount of loans in their names. The experience and cost burden (althought majority by me) is shared. I want to give them opportunity but at the same time for them to have a stake in their education.
    - I don't want them to have the pressure of looking at 100's of thousands of dollars in debt hanging over their heads as a distraction to getting the education.
    - I would have been less willing to fund their educations if the kid did not demonstrate good intent and some degree of focus, ie less likely to spend $50'000 per year on an education with no direction or future prospects for a degree from a less than average school.
    - In our case we think we have installed good values in both kids (I know this is always somewhat of a leap of faith as they go off and are exposed to new elements and ways of thinking) and they understand what their priorities should and need to be. AND they know there are limits.

Edited by gr33n 2013-12-18 5:13 AM
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Political Joe TAN Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Best political news in awhile.

Started by ejshowers
    Views: 1255 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 2:33 PM spudone
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 13, 2012
    author : VeloPress
    comments : 0
    Coach Joe Friel Simplifies Power Meters with New User Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes

date : November 19, 2007
    author : mpk
    I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
    date : October 4, 2007
    author : R_Laberje
    comments : 14
    Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : March 8, 2007
    author : Iron MaYden
    comments : 2
    How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?
    date : September 3, 2004
    author : tboepple
    Joe Friel - Periodization

Joe Friel, Bike Technique & Training (Physiology)
    Aero Positioning on the Bike – John Cobb

Details on the first Texas Triathlon Camp with Tom Rodgers, Joe Friel, John cobb, Lauren Maule and Andre Rizo.