User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Political Joe TAN
Originally posted by gr33n

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by lisac957

I need to go refresh my thread where I was "whining" about paying for his college.  It has nothing to do with being able to afford college, it has to do with a personal choice to let my kids pay for their own college so they will value it more.
I thought progressives were Pro Choice, so I'm not sure what the big deal is of me choosing how we pay for college.  

I was just going to ask what your reasons were for choosing to not pay for your kids college when it appears you could afford to. Not that your money is any business of mine or anyone elses... but it's an interesting discussion.

Have you thought about a hybrid solution - like matching him dollar for dollar on his scholarships or his contributions, or loaning (with minimal interest) him the money yourself and having him pay it back? 

I don't want this to come out wrong, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a parent who can afford to help with something like college tuition - but chooses not to.

I didn't think it came out wrong and is a valid question.

One of the biggest challenges that all parents face is to not spoil their kids to the point that it harms them later in life.  I'm sure we all know parents who have "spoiled" their kids to the point that they destroy them as adults.  I don't profess to have all the answers, but my wife and I try to do our best to make our kids self sufficient citizens who don't need somebody else to prop them up in life.

We could just hand them off to college and pay for everything, but what does that accomplish?  If anything I feel it allows people to just segregate our kids as "rich kids" who had everything handed to them.  That's why I find it funny that when we don't actually hand our kids everything and encourage them to build themselves up I get tongue lashed for being greedy.  It's a lose lose.

The true funny part is our kids really appreciate the fact that we're doing what we're doing.  My son flat out told me that he feels so much better knowing that he's doing things on his own and that he's going to be successful like his Dad on his own. 

I think I have some thoughts on this. We are hoping to be able to pay for most of our daughters college educations. Obviously its different strokes for different folks but I'll try and explain as best I can through a head cold induced haze here.

- Background: My older daughter just finished her first semester at one of the leading universities in the US. This not a brag but I mention it because in our case it makes a difference with respect to what and how and if we are willing to pay for. In our case we are more open to paying because of the quality of the education she'll be getting. We would not be open to paying the same amount for a lesser school.
- It also makes a big difference for us that the kid is focused. I fully get that not every kid knows what they want to study or do and need time to discover that. In our case we're fortunate that the daughter knew exactly what she wanted to study and what she intends to do with it post grad. I would be less willing to underwrite the full cost of a few years of discovery.
- In our case the plan is to fund both daughters educations from a combination of savings, current earnings, and a minimal amount of loans in their names. The experience and cost burden (althought majority by me) is shared. I want to give them opportunity but at the same time for them to have a stake in their education.
- I don't want them to have the pressure of looking at 100's of thousands of dollars in debt hanging over their heads as a distraction to getting the education.
- I would have been less willing to fund their educations if the kid did not demonstrate good intent and some degree of focus, ie less likely to spend $50'000 per year on an education with no direction or future prospects for a degree from a less than average school.
- In our case we think we have installed good values in both kids (I know this is always somewhat of a leap of faith as they go off and are exposed to new elements and ways of thinking) and they understand what their priorities should and need to be. AND they know there are limits.

Yeah I don't think just because someone simply pays for their kid's college they're `spoiled.' Example, my dad paid for my brother's college and flight training because my dad was a pilot and wanted my brother to be a pilot. He didn't pay for my college education so instead of sitting around whining about not being able to afford college, I found a way and paid for it on my own. My brother and I both turned out well and have great jobs and so on and so forth. In fact, I know a lot of people whose parents paid for their college and a lot of people who paid their own way and I wouldn't say that one group is any better or worse than the other. The fact is if someone is going to be an ahole, they're going to be an ahole.

2013-12-18 9:17 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I need to go refresh my thread where I was "whining" about paying for his college.  It has nothing to do with being able to afford college, it has to do with a personal choice to let my kids pay for their own college so they will value it more.
I thought progressives were Pro Choice, so I'm not sure what the big deal is of me choosing how we pay for college.  

I was just going to ask what your reasons were for choosing to not pay for your kids college when it appears you could afford to. Not that your money is any business of mine or anyone elses... but it's an interesting discussion.

Have you thought about a hybrid solution - like matching him dollar for dollar on his scholarships or his contributions, or loaning (with minimal interest) him the money yourself and having him pay it back? 

I don't want this to come out wrong, but it's hard for me to wrap my head around a parent who can afford to help with something like college tuition - but chooses not to.

One of the biggest challenges that all parents face is to not spoil their kids to the point that it harms them later in life.  I'm sure we all know parents who have "spoiled" their kids to the point that they destroy them as adults.  I don't profess to have all the answers, but my wife and I try to do our best to make our kids self sufficient citizens who don't need somebody else to prop them up in life.

We could just hand them off to college and pay for everything, but what does that accomplish?  If anything I feel it allows people to just segregate our kids as "rich kids" who had everything handed to them.  That's why I find it funny that when we don't actually hand our kids everything and encourage them to build themselves up I get tongue lashed for being greedy.  It's a lose lose.

The true funny part is our kids really appreciate the fact that we're doing what we're doing.  My son flat out told me that he feels so much better knowing that he's doing things on his own and that he's going to be successful like his Dad on his own. 

I can respect that. I don't think it's "greedy" - just something that I couldn't understand without a detailed explanation. Which you don't owe to anyone - but thanks for the thoughtful response

As for the (rhetorical?) question of "what does that accomplish" when parents pay for everything--- obviously dependent on the kid. My tuition (state school) was paid for by my parents but came with grade requirements and no other financial assistance. I had to pay for my room & board (if I wanted to move out of the house) books, sorority, car insurance, gas money, and ANY social activities I wanted to do. I thought that was a good balance for me as it taught me financial responsibility (I worked a waitress job consistently all four years of college to pay for those things), but I wasn't burdened with a ton of post-college debt and a potential credit ding as a 21-year-old.

2013-12-18 9:28 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Personally I think it is great that your kids are paying for their own college. Will I make mine pay? I do not know yet, since they are still in middle school. I do not think anyone should downplay your decision on this.

Especially if they do not have kids, how can they know anything about parenting????

2013-12-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by jford2309

Personally I think it is great that your kids are paying for their own college. Will I make mine pay? I do not know yet, since they are still in middle school. I do not think anyone should downplay your decision on this.

Especially if they do not have kids, how can they know anything about parenting????

Until you have kids in college you have no say, either. Kids in middle school, you don't know JACK, buddy.
2013-12-18 9:48 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

I was once paying $1800.00 per month for day care.  I tried to instill some values and make them pay for it themselves but they just laid there and babbled incoherently.

2013-12-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

I was once paying $1800.00 per month for day care.  I tried to instill some values and make them pay for it themselves but they just laid there and babbled incoherently.

They're obviously going to grow up and vote Democrat!  lol

2013-12-18 10:24 AM

User image

Pro

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

2013-12-18 10:27 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I can respect that. I don't think it's "greedy" - just something that I couldn't understand without a detailed explanation. Which you don't owe to anyone - but thanks for the thoughtful response

As for the (rhetorical?) question of "what does that accomplish" when parents pay for everything--- obviously dependent on the kid. My tuition (state school) was paid for by my parents but came with grade requirements and no other financial assistance. I had to pay for my room & board (if I wanted to move out of the house) books, sorority, car insurance, gas money, and ANY social activities I wanted to do. I thought that was a good balance for me as it taught me financial responsibility (I worked a waitress job consistently all four years of college to pay for those things), but I wasn't burdened with a ton of post-college debt and a potential credit ding as a 21-year-old.

There's certainly no right answer and Tony's right about aholes are going to be aholes.  I would bet that if my kids went to school on a full ride, or if we paid for everything up front they'd still do just fine in school.  We do plan to pay for most, if not all of it when they graduate so the good news is they won't have the credit/debt burden when they graduate.

I don't profess that our way is the right way, it's just what we felt was the best way for our kids.  As a couple, my wife and I have learned so many valuable things working through the struggles of growing up poor and climbing our way to the top.  We want our kids to learn the same lessons that we did, but we don't want them to endure what we did either, so it's kind of weird.  lol

2013-12-18 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

How is that different than what we all do every day?
2013-12-18 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

We can only hope.
2013-12-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Elite
Boise

2013-12-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by JoshR http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/18/brazil-jets-idUKL2N0JX17W2... 2nd major company now blaming NSA.

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.

2013-12-20 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Is it safe to play here?

2013-12-20 9:49 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Is it safe to play here?

define safe?  ;-)

2013-12-20 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Is it safe to play here?

define safe?  ;-)

Oh, no! I'm on to your trickery. You're not getting me to 'define' ANYTHING! 

2013-12-20 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Is it safe to play here?

define safe?  ;-)

lol, dang it.  You didn't fall for my trap.  

2013-12-20 9:58 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Well I'm happy that New Mexico just legalized gay marriage. My aunt has been with her partner for about as long as I've been alive. She has had some colon cancer issues in the last few years and I've worried about what her partner would have to go through, should the cancer win. Hopefully they will now choose to get married and then that could potentially ease some of her legal burden should the worst happen.
2013-12-20 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Is it safe to play here?

define safe?  ;-)

Fine fine ... what's your loose interpretation of `safe'? That should suffice.
2013-12-20 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by JoshR Well I'm happy that New Mexico just legalized gay marriage. My aunt has been with her partner for about as long as I've been alive. She has had some colon cancer issues in the last few years and I've worried about what her partner would have to go through, should the cancer win. Hopefully they will now choose to get married and then that could potentially ease some of her legal burden should the worst happen.

Congrats and "Get Well Soon" to your aunt and her partner.  Lives are being changed in POSITIVE ways.   

2013-12-20 10:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by mr2tony

Is it safe to play here?

define safe?  ;-)

Fine fine ... what's your loose interpretation of `safe'? That should suffice.

"Well, MY interpretation is th......" 

Uh, Oh!  I'm getting my 'nervouse feeling' again.

Edited by jeffnboise 2013-12-20 10:35 AM
2013-12-20 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

So....?

What's this I'm hearing about a Duck's dynasty?

2013-12-20 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

Originally posted by JoshR Well I'm happy that New Mexico just legalized gay marriage. My aunt has been with her partner for about as long as I've been alive. She has had some colon cancer issues in the last few years and I've worried about what her partner would have to go through, should the cancer win. Hopefully they will now choose to get married and then that could potentially ease some of her legal burden should the worst happen.

Congrats and "Get Well Soon" to your aunt and her partner.  Lives are being changed in POSITIVE ways.   

. See also UTAH!

2013-12-20 9:06 PM

User image

Pro

Good news for sure! 

I hope all of her burdens are lessened and all she has to worry about is her fight against cancer.

As someone else just posted, it looks like the ban in Utah has been struck down as well.......pretty cool considering the Mormon influence. 

2013-12-24 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays

etc

etc

2013-12-26 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays

etc

etc

Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally,
a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2000, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Political Joe TAN Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Best political news in awhile.

Started by ejshowers
Views: 1255 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 2:33 PM spudone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : VeloPress
comments : 0
Coach Joe Friel Simplifies Power Meters with New User Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?
date : September 3, 2004
author : tboepple
Joe Friel - Periodization

Joe Friel, Bike Technique & Training (Physiology)
Aero Positioning on the Bike – John Cobb

Details on the first Texas Triathlon Camp with Tom Rodgers, Joe Friel, John cobb, Lauren Maule and Andre Rizo.