General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting strength training, but have lower back issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-07 1:46 PM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Subject: Starting strength training, but have lower back issues
So I decided to start losing weight in the beginning of November with doing 2-3 sprint tri's in the summer and a variety of 5-10km runs along the way. Started at 321, down to 304 right now. Got my running back up to snuff, learning how to swim properly and my bike is coming along.

Here's my issue, I've hurt my lower back on a couple of occasions and it doesn't seem to take much. Id like to start a bit of strength training in the new year. Now I work full time midnights, have a gf and work a part time job every other weekend, so I'm pressed for time. I usually work out at night before work. Just wondering how I should go about this.

My training looks like this:

Monday: short bike
Tuesday: long run (I love running)
Wednesday: off
Thursday: long swim
Friday: long bike
Saturday: short run and swim
Sundayff

Now I really don't want to strength train on days that I swim because I can barely get through my long swim as it is. Ideally, I'd like to strength train Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Am I going in the correct direction, and what should I do about my lower back in terms of strength training. The last time I hurt it walking down stairs. Seriously.

2013-12-08 7:55 AM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Starting strength training, but have lower back issues

Originally posted by GregDufour So I decided to start losing weight in the beginning of November with doing 2-3 sprint tri's in the summer and a variety of 5-10km runs along the way. Started at 321, down to 304 right now. Got my running back up to snuff, learning how to swim properly and my bike is coming along. Here's my issue, I've hurt my lower back on a couple of occasions and it doesn't seem to take much. Id like to start a bit of strength training in the new year. Now I work full time midnights, have a gf and work a part time job every other weekend, so I'm pressed for time. I usually work out at night before work. Just wondering how I should go about this. My training looks like this: Monday: short bike Tuesday: long run (I love running) Wednesday: off Thursday: long swim Friday: long bike Saturday: short run and swim Sundayff Now I really don't want to strength train on days that I swim because I can barely get through my long swim as it is. Ideally, I'd like to strength train Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Am I going in the correct direction, and what should I do about my lower back in terms of strength training. The last time I hurt it walking down stairs. Seriously.

If you've got a dodgy back, then you want to make sure that you focus really, really well on your form while you're lifting.  Start with light weights, and make sure you never, ever "round"  your back during any of your exercise.   the back needs to be either arched slightly or in a neutral position while you're lifting.

There's about 1,000,000 youtube videos that focus on form.   look them up.

2013-12-08 10:07 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

My suggestion is to try to determine what's causing your back issues.  An evaluation and a couple sessions with a personal trainer who specializes in corrective exercise can be a good place to start.  IME, most lower back muscular issues are caused by a combination of imbalances that stem from long hours sitting and inadequate strengthening of the core musculature.

2013-12-08 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4909858

User image

windsor, Ontario
I do work at office midnights. I've been making it a point to get up a stretch lately and my back pain has seemed to go away, plus I'm guessing the exercising helps.
2013-12-10 9:37 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest

My suggestion is to try to determine what's causing your back issues.  An evaluation and a couple sessions with a personal trainer who specializes in corrective exercise can be a good place to start.  IME, most lower back muscular issues are caused by a combination of imbalances that stem from long hours sitting and inadequate strengthening of the core musculature.

This is a good point. If you're having back problems, you can help a lot of that with exercises. Developing your core strength is important. I get back issues when doing certain exercises (deadliest are the worst). I have uneven hips from a broken pelvis when I was 19, which causes the ache. When I focus on stabilizing my core, the back feels better. Using weight machines helps too, at least until you develop your stabilizing muscles, so you reduce your injury risk. A strong core is going to help you swim, bike and run better too.
2013-12-10 11:58 AM
in reply to: SmallTriGirl

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Originally posted by SmallTriGirl

This is a good point. If you're having back problems, you can help a lot of that with exercises. Developing your core strength is important. I get back issues when doing certain exercises (deadliest are the worst). I have uneven hips from a broken pelvis when I was 19, which causes the ache. When I focus on stabilizing my core, the back feels better. Using weight machines helps too, at least until you develop your stabilizing muscles, so you reduce your injury risk. A strong core is going to help you swim, bike and run better too.

These posts. Plus keep in mind that a lot of back pain comes from tight hamstrings...if I neglect my hamstrings, lower back pain will wake me up from a dead sleep. Especially true when I'm just doing SBR...the weight training helps immensely. Just be careful and super strict on form, which you likely need help learning.

2013-12-10 2:54 PM
in reply to: SmallTriGirl

User image

Originally posted by SmallTriGirl

FYI - "deadliest" is dead lifts. Stupid autocorrect
2013-12-27 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Most of my clients have similar issues with lower back pain. Within a few weeks of stretching and some corrective exercises, the pain is gone or minimized greatly.

because i don't know much about you: I would say focus on a lot of stretching. Hip Flexors, Lower backs, and also some torsion (rotation stretches). Also stretch the piriformus. spend about 10mins here..
2013-12-30 4:44 PM
in reply to: momo

User image

New user
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by momo

Most of my clients have similar issues with lower back pain. Within a few weeks of stretching and some corrective exercises, the pain is gone or minimized greatly.

because i don't know much about you: I would say focus on a lot of stretching. Hip Flexors, Lower backs, and also some torsion (rotation stretches). Also stretch the piriformus. spend about 10mins here..

Before going in for surgery on my L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1 I spent 4 months doing Physical Therapy stretching out my hips and ham strings. While it did not help with the issue I did my research on everything I could on lower back issues. Now I take the time to stretch my hips and hamstrings daily. Since I have done that I have only had one minor issue with my lower back.
2013-12-31 12:00 AM
in reply to: LukeS

User image

windsor, Ontario
Actually thinking of starting yoga. Heard some excellent things about DDPYoga, and thinking about checking it out, as I'd rather do this at home as opposed to the gym due to my ridiculous work schedule.
2014-01-11 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Twist-ups !!!
Lie on the floor with knees bent 90 degrees.
Hook your toes under a 40 pound barbell.
Hands behind head, elbows out and flat on the mat.
Keep the left elbow on the mat and twist-up bringing your right elbow to the left knee.
And back down.
Continue by alternating sides.
Use a smooth motion with medium speed.
Each time an elbow touches a knee I count 1 rep.

At first you will want to "go through the motions" with an easy 8 sets of 10 reps in a set .
Sprinkle them in your workout. [10 minutes of treadmill, 1 set of 10 twist-ups, 1 minute rest, 1 set of 10 twist ups] 4x .
After a week or two, bump up the number of reps to 12 or 15 reps.

2014-01-17 3:36 AM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

windsor, Ontario
So far my back has been holding up. I'm REALLY easing into any back exercises. Not lifting nearly what I'm capable of. Combining it with some stretching exercises and have made an effort to get up and move around while I'm at work (I sit at a desk for 8 hours).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting strength training, but have lower back issues Rss Feed