General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Bad Day at the Pool is Better Than a Good Day at... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-12 2:54 PM

Subject: A Bad Day at the Pool is Better Than a Good Day at...
Just couldn't get it going today.
Drank more pool water than if it was coming out of a water fountain.
Goggles leaked, I felt "heavy", and my breathing was all out of sync.
1 hr session turned into 45 minutes in the pool and probably 35 of actual swimming.
All that water gave me a stomach ache (almost barfy) that is finally subsiding after 3 hours.
I still feel very dejected. I am usually a barracuda.

Anyone have this happen before?
Tell me my gills will grow back.

2013-12-12 3:01 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Subject: RE: A Bad Day at the Pool is Better Than a Good Day at...
I get this about 1 out of every 6 swims. Sometimes I think it has to do with having gone hard on the bike or the run a day or two earlier.

No worries - your next swim will probably be a great one!

Patti
2013-12-12 3:16 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by skibummer

Just couldn't get it going today.
Drank more pool water than if it was coming out of a water fountain.
Goggles leaked, I felt "heavy", and my breathing was all out of sync.
1 hr session turned into 45 minutes in the pool and probably 35 of actual swimming.
All that water gave me a stomach ache (almost barfy) that is finally subsiding after 3 hours.
I still feel very dejected. I am usually a barracuda.

Anyone have this happen before?
Tell me my gills will grow back.

What was the structure of the swim? Just wondering if you could have modified the set to regain these things that wen twrong. That doesn't sound fun. Why not change the swim to pushoffs, easy drills, more aerobic swimming, shorter repeats, etc? SO that you feel good?
2013-12-12 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Originally posted by skibummer Just couldn't get it going today. Drank more pool water than if it was coming out of a water fountain. Goggles leaked, I felt "heavy", and my breathing was all out of sync. 1 hr session turned into 45 minutes in the pool and probably 35 of actual swimming. All that water gave me a stomach ache (almost barfy) that is finally subsiding after 3 hours. I still feel very dejected. I am usually a barracuda. Anyone have this happen before? Tell me my gills will grow back.

Your gills will certainly grow back - and very soon.  Like next time you swim.  Sometimes I have workouts like this and it's usually due to stress or other things going on in my life that may be nagging on my mind.  Just forget about it and move on.

2013-12-12 3:26 PM

Was aiming for 15minute x 4 swim that I modified into 200yd x whatever because I was getting peeved.
I usually do ascending/descending ladder sets but have just been going for length of time recently and not focusing on distance.

I think it was the hard run I did yesterday now that a previous reply mentioned that.
2013-12-12 4:03 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Why not change the swim to pushoffs, easy drills, more aerobic swimming, shorter repeats, etc? SO that you feel good?

Yeah, why not change the structure? If I'm feeling tired I'll do head taps, catch ups, rotation drills, a stupid game I call paddle fetch (wear one paddle and use that arm only going 25 yds, leave it on that side of the pool, swim back to get the other for the other arm), alternate breathing stuff, practice holding my breath, streamline practice, dolphin kicks, etc etc. You gotta learn to be in love with being in the water or swimming will always feel like a chore.

2013-12-12 5:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This happens to me a lot. I literally feel like a different person in the water on some days than others. With run and bike, there are good and bad days, but it's much more consistent (as in I generally feel good, if not necessarily fast, when running, and always feel like crap when biking). I'm guessing it's related to fatigue levels from other workouts, stress at work, what I ate for lunch (I swim immediately after work), etc. Sometimes I struggle if the water's unusually cold or warm. I alter the workout if I feel like my form is falling apart, What often works for me is one of these:

*Just do a long swim, or very long repeats, at a steady pace. Not really slow/easy, but not race effort either. Maybe high Zone 2/Low Zone 3. For example, 1500m, 2000m, or 2 X 750m or 1000m. Focus on smooth stroke, bilateral breathing, steady pace.
*Shorter repeats (75's or 100's) where you build pace by 25's. This allows you to really focus on form by starting slow, then holding it as you get faster. if you keep rest to a minimum you will get a decent cardio workout as well.
*If the issue is lower body fatigue due to a recent hard run or bike, substitute pulling for some/all of the swim.
*If the issue is a long swim workout the day before, switch strokes and do a workout with lots of IM. (Medley, not Ironman!)

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-12-12 5:53 PM
2013-12-13 6:54 AM

User image

Exton, PA
It happens sometimes, mostly if i'm run down. When I feel like that I just do long and slow, 500's or 1000's.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Bad Day at the Pool is Better Than a Good Day at... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BAD DAYS/GOOD DAYS

Started by mchadcota2
Views: 1184 Posts: 13

2013-04-02 3:05 PM mchadcota2

the 2nd workout of the day, some days bad, some days good Pages: 1 2

Started by crmorton
Views: 3507 Posts: 27

2013-01-21 3:47 PM LPJmom

Good Days vs Bad Days

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1133 Posts: 7

2012-08-06 4:31 PM danimal123

Best day in the pool

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 781 Posts: 4

2011-05-25 11:52 PM popsracer

New bike: bad news, good news, bad news, good news

Started by jonathan22
Views: 2013 Posts: 12

2007-02-05 6:33 AM jonathan22
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.