General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-05-23 8:10 AM
in reply to: Raansnel

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
How is everyone feeling? I am working with a coach this year - I did my own training plans in the past. Much lower volume than I have done in the past. It will be interesting to see the outcome. Looking forward to a fun race. I am excited that I will be on this course again.

2014-06-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: jls42

User image

Regular
Muncie, IN
I passed on Louisville race last season but did go to support some friends, and it amazed me to watch so many people leave within the first 400 meters of the bike with no water bottles, now that sounds crazy I know. Now for the explanation.....immediately after leaving the bike out transition you pedal under the over pass and off the sidewalk to the road where you take an immediate sharp left turn and actually start the bike portion, that step off the sidewalk had A LOT, and I mean A LOT of peoples bottles coming out of carriers. Most knew they lost their hydration, we could tell they knew when they looked back when we and other spectators would yell "you dropped your bottle go back and get it" 20 ft from that step. A few did stop, leaned their bikes on the barrier walked back, got it and gone, it took less than 30 seconds to do, Most however were so wrapped up in the " I GOTTA GET ON THE ROAD" they left it or them and rode on. I watched a Pro stop and go back, now if a pro thinks it's worth losing 30 to 45 seconds to have, then why not... having done that race I know the importance of having Hydration BETWEEN aid stations.... Bottom Line, most of us can spare 30 - 45 seconds that can payoff in minutes ahead at miles 70 to 112 .... so stop, get your bottle safely and have a better bike time and ride...
2014-06-29 7:01 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Originally posted by SEADOCHA

where is everyone staying? Last year I stayed at the Hyatt and thinking of staying there this year. It was awesome to drop dead in the bath tub immediately after the race. I wouldn't mind staying near the Gault though because the walk is pretty far in the morning. Instead of 140.6 last year, I think it was about 143 ish or 144 with the walk to the back of the swim line.

I raced 2013 but not racing this year, will be doing IMLOU next year. We stayed in the Hyatt and loved the location (right at the finish and close to everything). The walk from the Hyatt is less than 1 mile to the Galt house and its close to an additional mile to the Swim start, its really not that bad (everyone's in a good mood and talking to each other). If you want spaghetti dinner on the night before the race, make reservations at The Spaghetti House ASAP, Its close to the Hyatt.

We loved our time in Louisville and the surrounding area, Its a great city and a great IM.
2014-06-30 7:50 AM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Originally posted by amymengel

How is everyone feeling? I am working with a coach this year - I did my own training plans in the past. Much lower volume than I have done in the past. It will be interesting to see the outcome. Looking forward to a fun race. I am excited that I will be on this course again.

This will be my first "M-Dot" brand race though not my first full distance. I'm looking forward to it as I have read the finish is awesome! Primary goals are to have fun, finish, and hear those words at the Finish Line - "You Are an IRONMAN!". Secondary is to PR the distance hopefully 11-12 hour range. I'm certainly more than capable. I would love to try for a Kona spot, but at the moment, I'm thinking my training won't get me to that level this year. "Anything is possible", though . A little less than a couple of months to go! See you all at the start!
2014-07-16 10:32 AM
in reply to: sbrdave

Weather forecast for today is high of 77 degrees. Oh, how I wish we were doing our IM today!! Maybe we'll get lucky with the weather. What's the old line? "everyone complains about the weather, but no one ever does anything about it!"

Fingers crossed
2014-07-16 10:38 AM
in reply to: Zuri

User image

Chicago
Thats a great line on the weather!

I'm preparing for the absolute worst weather possible, well outside of the swim anyhow..which, and maybe this is my ignorance never having swam there, sounds like it will be pretty pleasant? Cant believe the race is this close, seems like just a few weeks ago I transferred my CDA registration to Louisville and was thinking "man..I've just added 2 more months to train..I've got all the time in the world!".

Hope everyones training is going well.

2014-07-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Veteran
I did Lou last year and just reading through this thread makes me wish I was heading back. I will be heading to CHOO instead.

First, I stayed at the Galt house last year and had absolutely no problems with anything including the elevators. The room was perfect and as close to transition as you can get (although still probably almost a half mile.) It was a bummer to have to walk from the finish line back to transition to get your gear and bike after the race. It was honestly more than a mile of walking so next time I would send someone with my ticket to get my stuff for me.

The heat is no joke. I did my training in the SC heat so LOU was exactly what I expected. That still didn't make it easy! Getting off the bike between 2-3pm with a high temp of 98 is not pleasant. If you have the option to do some training in the heat then I would recommend it.

My biggest piece of advice is to watch the famous youtube videos about the course. Take notes and do what the guy says. It works!! Second, be patient on the bike. The first 4-5 miles are all flat out of town. This is where the railroad tracks and the bridge are that eject bottles. Take your time and if you do lose a bottle, go back and get it! After that the next 15 miles or so are mostly rolling uphill climbs to take you out of town before the out and back. Just be patient on this part. I am sure you will hear all about the out and back. My advice is if you are going to ride any of the course before the race do this spot. There is a small church right across the street where you can park your car and ride the few miles out and back. I was very glad I did on race day.

Otherwise LOU is a fantastic city with what I believe is the best finish line in IM. Enjoy the race and relish the moment.
2014-07-16 2:01 PM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
So what have been peoples' experiences who've stayed away from the downtown area and parking? I'm thinking of saving some serious money by staying a few miles away. It seems there are several ramps within walking distance of transition, just wondering......
2014-07-16 2:45 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

Brian - your picture makes me think you're ready for anything.
I was thinking of CDA next year. But it doesn't fill up, so I'll wait until after Lou to make any decisions. Hope the extra two months helps. It's coming really fast.

2014-07-16 2:46 PM

Thanks for the great advice. I did it in 2010, but have some amnesia (which explains why I signed up again Do you have a link to the specific youtube video you're talking about? I'd love to watch it.
Thanks very much.

Nancy
2014-07-16 3:23 PM

User image

Chicago
haha..thanks! If anything my picture shows that I'm simply not smart enough to know not to go outside in the dead of winter, on Chicagos lakefront, and run..

You should do CDA, although to be honest I'm a bit biased as I'm originally from CDA so it was a great first IM for me. Being as subjective as I can it's a beautiful place and the population really comes out during race week.

If you do end up signing up let me know as I'm always happy to help folks navigate the area/hook them up with discounts as many of my friends, as well as my wifes, are business owners in the area.

Seriously looking forward to this racing Louisville though. I had to swap registrations originally due to work/family commitments but now I'm very happy I get to experience a new race, plus when the going gets really tough out there it'll be fun to remind myself that less than an hour away, at Ft Knox, I went through basic/OSUT training for the Army but that lasted 4 months..certainly telling myself "just 20 more miles, and a marathon" will pale in comparison?
So in the grand scheme of things Kentucky only gets roughly 12 hours (knock on wood) at me.

Anyhow, hope your training is rolling along, and if you do end up choosing CDA please do let me know.

2014-07-16 3:27 PM

User image

Chicago
thanks for the insight, and good luck in your race! In regards to the youtube videos which ones are you talking about? If you get a chance please do let us know..
2014-07-17 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4964884

New user
The videos are the 4 keys to Ironman Louisville on you tube. I followed the videos pretty closely in 2012 when I did Louisville. Watch the videos several times and take in and do what he says. It will save you a lot of suffering if you do.
I'm following the same advice for IM Chattanooga in sept.
2014-07-18 6:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Originally posted by cedar creek

The videos are the 4 keys to Ironman Louisville on you tube. I followed the videos pretty closely in 2012 when I did Louisville. Watch the videos several times and take in and do what he says. It will save you a lot of suffering if you do.
I'm following the same advice for IM Chattanooga in sept.

Starts at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-U-Uc0BFyc

Saw the link before somewhere else and just haven't watch yet, but DEFINITELY will!

Edited by sbrdave 2014-07-18 6:26 AM
2014-07-19 3:36 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

Veteran
So what have been peoples' experiences who've stayed away from the downtown area and parking? I'm thinking of saving some serious money by staying a few miles away. It seems there are several ramps within walking distance of transition, just wondering......

I am interested in this information as well. Anyone have any advice?
2014-07-19 8:02 PM
in reply to: Cajuntriguy

User image

Veteran
I stayed on the Indiana side of the river for all but the nights immediately before and after the race. Easy to get in and out of Louisville for the Expo and check in, but definitely would not have wanted to come across the river early in the morning on race day. I had enough problems getting on the right bridge when I wasn't under pressure. I stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown for the two nights. It is a few blocks from away everything, but walkable and definitely less than the Gualt or other hotels near the finish.

2014-07-28 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Wow, a bit too late for those who like a Fall race (and perhaps wetsuit legal), but they're moving IM Louisville to October next year:

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2014/07/2015-ironman...

Of course that means that next year, IM Louisville won't be a qualifier for the 2015 IM Championship. Still, perhaps with the cooler temps and possibility of wetsuit legal swim, it'll draw more folks.

2014-08-01 6:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

August is here and counting down the days. Good training and feel like I could do the race tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
2014-08-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

I'm counting down too. I've done the most complete training I've ever done for IM (only have done 3). One more big weekend, and the TAPER. Hooray.

Life is good.
2014-08-01 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by Zuri

I'm counting down too. I've done the most complete training I've ever done for IM (only have done 3). One more big weekend, and the TAPER. Hooray.

Life is good.

This is my first IM so it has been a lot of training. Getting up at 3:30 AM is getting old. So ready for the TAPER as well.
2014-08-01 12:56 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Bib numbers are up, #2069 this year. 22 days, 17 hrs., 3 min!

2014-08-01 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Originally posted by Zuri

Life is good.

Yup, green square popped up on the calendar. Last big training weekend for me as well and slow taper starts. Considering the recent weather, I do hope this doesn't turn out like Eagleman in 2008 - relatively cool up to the week prior and then blazing hot the week of and during the race. It will be what it will be, but if it's going to be very warm to hot for the race, I would like to get some training in those conditions first. Adjust as necessary come race day.

Bib #2298.

Looking forward to being a part of my first Ironman-brand race (did one full distance independent before this)! Hope all stay well and make it to the start line these last few weeks!
2014-08-01 2:44 PM
in reply to: jgs733

I'm lucky number 796.

Question - most of the people in my AG have sequential numbers. But there are two or three w/ numbers that start w/ 100, and one in the 200 and one w/ a 300 number. Anyone know why, or if they have advantage on bike rack position?
Thanks.
2014-08-01 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have done the least amount of training for an IM than I have ever done in the past. This is either going to go really well, or it will be a LONG day. Either way, I am looking forward to crossing the finish line for my 10th iron! It is race month!!!!!! :-)
2014-08-02 9:42 AM
in reply to: sbrdave

User image

Chicago
yep, last big (and biggest) weekend of training for me as well. 3-8am on the trainer today, using trainnerroad..next Saturdays 3 hour ride sounds like paradise comparatively. A long run tomorrow and I'm officially in taper..cant wait.

Will be interesting to see how my race goes, I've been training for 9 months or so (originally signed up for CDA as my second IM) but while the consistency has been huge, the long ride/runs have not. I've got a handful of 4-4.5 hour rides, and the same for 1.5 hour runs but nothing grossly time consuming. My hope is the intensity I've been pulling on the bike makes up long training sessions, or improves my efficiency come race day. We'll see I guess.

Whatever the case getting excited for race day to get here. Hope everyone is enjoying either their last big weekend, or their taper.
Cheers
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 56175 Posts: 370

2013-12-14 11:11 AM Cajuntriguy

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by vasqlartek
Views: 104873 Posts: 1070

2012-09-06 6:49 AM 7ofClubs

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by sdanaher
Views: 227991 Posts: 2778

2011-11-01 2:10 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by dlink
Views: 164802 Posts: 1740

2010-11-07 9:12 AM kdlsch111

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173123 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: