General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stomach Cramps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-01 12:48 PM

Southern CA
Subject: Stomach Cramps
After many Sprints and an Olympic I raced my first Half IM (Vineman) this past weekend. Very happy with my time and felt great througout. However, I started to experience stomach cramps about 4 miles into the run.

Here's the 411--
My nutrition on the bike was a gel at the top of the hour, 1/2 cliff bar at the bottom of the hour and water and Gatorade Endurance every 15 minutes. This gave me the right amount of fluids and calories for my size. I ended up intaking 3 gels and 2 1/2 cliff bars total on my ride and decided against eating a gel on the run beccause I was afraid that might be the cause (too much gel already in the tummy) so I just stuck to fluids.

Any explaination as to the stomach cramps?

FYI... all the aforementioned gels and bars I've been eating for quite awhile and have had no trouble... but, this is the longest race I've ever done. Also, I took no salt tablets since I've never tested them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2006-08-01 1:01 PM
in reply to: #499568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Stomach Cramps
stannduppk - 2006-08-01 12:48 PM

After many Sprints and an Olympic I raced my first Half IM (Vineman) this past weekend. Very happy with my time and felt great througout. However, I started to experience stomach cramps about 4 miles into the run.

Here's the 411--
My nutrition on the bike was a gel at the top of the hour, 1/2 cliff bar at the bottom of the hour and water and Gatorade Endurance every 15 minutes. This gave me the right amount of fluids and calories for my size. I ended up intaking 3 gels and 2 1/2 cliff bars total on my ride and decided against eating a gel on the run beccause I was afraid that might be the cause (too much gel already in the tummy) so I just stuck to fluids.

Any explaination as to the stomach cramps?

FYI... all the aforementioned gels and bars I've been eating for quite awhile and have had no trouble... but, this is the longest race I've ever done. Also, I took no salt tablets since I've never tested them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

What was the race temp/conditions? Any Bloating? What was your fluid intake per hour?

If race conditions were hot, then you might have to take in more Gatorade Endurance than your body can handle. The average athlete loses 600-1100 mg of Sodium per liter (33 oz) of fluid. More in hot/humid conditions.

My first guess would be that you didn't get enough electrolytes. Think of them as the oil in your car. W/O the proper amounts, you won't be able to process the fuel efficiently.

Important key to calories is not just how much, but concentration. Solid foods (e.g. Clif Bars) will take much longer to digest and require more fluids to process. Also, Make sure you don't take your gels w/ Gatorade. You'll through of the Osmolatiy (concentration of solution)...Just water.

If you do experiment w/ Salt Tablets, go with something like Salt Stick or Succeed that contains more than just Na. Endurolytes are good as well but I don't like the new formula. Each capsule only has 40mg of Na.
2006-08-01 1:20 PM
in reply to: #499588

Southern CA
Jimmy-

Thanks for the suggestions. The race temp was in the low to mid 80's. It started to get hot during the run, but was generally great conditions.
- No bloating.
- I was trying to take in about 24 oz. of fluids an hour on the bike -- took in a bit more on the run since that is when the heat started to kick in. Sounds like I wasn't taking enough.
- Only took water with the gels.
- Good point on the solid food intake. I'm just nervous about only taking gels, I feel like I should balance with some solids.

Thanks again.
2006-08-01 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Rather than gels only, consider a form of liquid nutrition that contains protein such as perpetuem (hammer) or Infinit.

I've also had bad experiences mixing gels + sports drink with sugars ( ie, gatorade ), that could be a culprit as well.  On half IM distances and longer, I go with a liquid nutrition source + gels and water on the bike and run.  Endurolyte caps provide the electrolytes.  I avoid the race provided sports drinks.

Experiment on long bricks to find what works best for you.  That's really the true test.

2006-08-01 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
I used Hammer products previously w/ good success. However, I changed to Infinit this year because of the easier incorporation of Electrolytes. I have great sucess since making the switch...

During HIM/IM distance races, I don't take in any solid food. I train this way as well so I'm accustomed to using liquids/gels and no solid food. The first couple of times racing/training w/o solid food can be a challenge, but if you prepare properly by eating smaller meals pre race (24-36hrs), you shouldn't have a problem.

I'd try out the liquid/gel only route. If it doesn't work, you can always go back. Best way to test is to do a long bike/run brick in training.
2006-08-01 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

Another Ditto Post:

The most common reason for the cramps is your stomach not absorbing because of a mismatch in concentrations between the intestines and blood steam. Playing with your salt intake will likely find the culprit. (i.e. the old Gatorade commercial)

Also temperature plays a factor. The stomach starts to slow down as internal temps rise. Sometimes getting some extra-cold fluid will jumpstart the stomach.

I'm a big advocate of InfinIT myself. They make a science of all this stuff and customize it for you. I still use gels, but only as a stomach filler when I get that empty feeling from downing nothing but fluids all day.

-Harry

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stomach Cramps Rss Feed