BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-01 9:18 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Totals for March:

Bike: 13h 28m - 194.14 Mi
Run: 13h 32m 53s - 89.3 Mi
Swim: Umm, I knew there was something I was forgetting....

Pretty good month; I'm happy with my consistency. I only missed one scheduled bike workout. Obviously, I need to get back in the pool. April is all about the swim. I only lost a couple of pounds which I'm not too happy about. Especially because I felt like I cleaned up my diet quite a bit. I'm not a big veggie eater but I made myself force down a glass of V8 every morning, replaced chips and such with servings of fruit, switch from white bread to whole wheat, traded in the Nutella for Cashew butter, more lean meats, things of that nature. Now I'm not saying that there weren't a few evening raves with Little Debbie and her friends the Elves but I'm only human. I really didn't want to have to start counting calories but I guess I probably should for at least the month of April anyway.

2014-04-01 10:22 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Randee-who cares about March.....you have a new bike and it is NICE! Jealous.

Early, ugly swim done for me. Bike tonight. Have a good day everyone.

it needs sexy wheels.
2014-04-01 11:54 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I've got a set if you want them........

HED Jet 6, front and back, with a wheelbuilder cover. Just sitting in the basement. I have been reluctant to get rid of them but at some point I need to offload some of this stuff.
2014-04-01 12:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I've got a set if you want them........

HED Jet 6, front and back, with a wheelbuilder cover. Just sitting in the basement. I have been reluctant to get rid of them but at some point I need to offload some of this stuff.

I don't know anything about wheels! Are they too much wheel for me? How much?

and would I need a new hub? I have Ultegra 11spd.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-04-01 12:19 PM
2014-04-01 3:24 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
No idea what they are worth. It is a 10 speed hub. I would need to research the conversion. Not too much of a wheel for you at all but it may not work.
2014-04-01 3:56 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

No idea what they are worth. It is a 10 speed hub. I would need to research the conversion. Not too much of a wheel for you at all but it may not work.

that's ok then. Thanks for the offer.

I think DH would kill me if I spent more money right now LOL

2014-04-01 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Oooh, that's purdy, Randee.

Okay, trying to get back into the swing of things. Today is a ride and hard 3 mile run. Let's see just how "hard" those 3 miles will be, ha!

Here's a picture of me on the bike. Had so much fun!

Edited by Blanda 2014-04-01 4:22 PM

(10151190_10152035937048443_1167487056_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10151190_10152035937048443_1167487056_n.jpg (78KB - 4 downloads)
2014-04-01 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Blanda & Jason-Sorry it's late, but great job on the races! A sub-1:30 HM is crazy fast, Jason. And it sounds like you put in a gritty performance in your XTerra, Blanda!

I'm all recovered, mostly, from my relay race this weekend. It was not all-fun, partly frustrating, and definitely painful at the end! In total, I ran 32.5 miles (9.5, 9.5, 7.5, 6.5) and the last miles of my last run were brutal...like IM brutal. I'm happy with how I did, but was definitely frustrated with some of my teammates. If I do one of these again, I'd like to do it with people who spend a little more time preparing. To illustrate, Nate (who some of you know), myself, and one other runner (who wasn't prepared to run what she did, but was a real trooper to pick up some slack) ran about 90 of the 200 miles, leaving 7 others to run what was left. Here's a blog post I made about the race, if you're interested: http://runoften.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/the-palmetto-200-relay-rac...

Now I'm in Memphis with the girlfriend for my Spring Break. I managed to get in a short ride yesterday, a swim this morning, and I'll go for a short run this afternoon, my first since the race. Seriously, my quads felt broken on Sunday!

March Totals:
Swim: 7h 40m 30s - 21448.08 M
Bike: 18h 19m 50s - 330.73 Mi
Run: 10h 45m 41s - 85.1 Mi

I'm happy with those numbers, especially since I took awhile off for my foot to feel better. Speaking of that, it definitely hurt after the race, but is feeling better. I'm going to make sure the GF takes a look at it this week!

Oh yeah, I'm loving this weather!
2014-04-01 8:33 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Jamie, welcome to my neck of the woods! We are enjoying some lovely weather this week!

My March totals are rather one dimensional:

Walk dogs. 6 hours
Run:: 160 miles

I have had some trouble during this marathon training with left sided issues. It has me wondering if I either have a form issue or possibly a difference in leg length. It has been almost exclusively left sided.
Here is a brief explanation;
Pain at the very top and middle of my left thigh, tight feeling, where my buttocks starts.
Left hamstring pain
One week the pain was really strong and when I ran I actually had what felt like 'nerve' pains around my left knee area. Sort of a prickling shooting pain. It didn't last long and hasn't returned. My right side hasn't had any issues.

I have considered having a running coach do an assessment. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I wondered about piriformis but I think that is higher on the buttocks than what I am having.

I appreciate any thoughts you guys have.
Mary

2014-04-01 8:42 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie. Glad you survived the race. My quads have been feeling broken as well so I can sympathize. 32+ miles in under 24 hours is a gritty performance. Sorry some of your colleagues weren't as on-board as you but at least you had two others to pick up the slack.

Blanda. I'm a little late to the congratulations but I want to commend you on how hard you work and how tough you are. Really well done. Love the picture today too.

I swam this morning and felt good but I was still walking around like I was crippled all day long. Ride on the rollers tonight was just what I needed. Loosened everything up and I feel much better. Active recovery is a beautiful thing. I fell off of the rollers less today than Saturday but still had one pretty spectacular ejection where I ended up about six feet away from the rollers. Not so worried about me but I don't want to damage the bike. I am really looking forward to getting my replacement computrainer part.
2014-04-01 9:12 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Chunga

Jamie, welcome to my neck of the woods! We are enjoying some lovely weather this week!

My March totals are rather one dimensional:

Walk dogs. 6 hours
Run:: 160 miles

I have had some trouble during this marathon training with left sided issues. It has me wondering if I either have a form issue or possibly a difference in leg length. It has been almost exclusively left sided.
Here is a brief explanation;
Pain at the very top and middle of my left thigh, tight feeling, where my buttocks starts.
Left hamstring pain
One week the pain was really strong and when I ran I actually had what felt like 'nerve' pains around my left knee area. Sort of a prickling shooting pain. It didn't last long and hasn't returned. My right side hasn't had any issues.

I have considered having a running coach do an assessment. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I wondered about piriformis but I think that is higher on the buttocks than what I am having.

I appreciate any thoughts you guys have.
Mary

Impressive mileage especially battling your left side! I assume you roll and stretch, right?

From my many tours of duty at PT I'm convinced that all leg problems are caused by weak hips - especially in women. Of course I'm not a medical professional and it's just my opinion......

Having said that, finding a good PT who knows their stuff (and being an athlete helps) is the key. They will probably be able to diagnose you better than any ortho or md. And better yet, they know how to fix you. Do you have a run group you can ask around to find one?

Good luck. Sorry I have nothing specific but my pains tend to be below the knee

2014-04-02 6:00 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Mary-

I would agree with your assessment and Randee's thoughts about there being something physiological going on there. In addition to Randee's recommendation of a PT (who, by the way, I think would be more helpful than a running coach) I would add, if you access to a good sports based kinesiologist they can be excellent at assessing a problem and recommending treatments/improvements that will minimize impact to your training process if at all possible.

We have a great group close by called Acceleration Sports that was started by a group of orthopedic doctors in the area and is staffed with PT’s, kinesiologists, trainers, etc. They work with many local pro and college teams and are VERY good at what they do. If you have access to something like that, I think they are great.

How close is your Marathon, I thought we were getting pretty close to race time. If it is too close you may have little option but to reduce training stress and “survive off your base” so to speak. But I would certainly look into PT or Kinesiology if you have some time.
2014-04-02 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Chunga Jamie, welcome to my neck of the woods! We are enjoying some lovely weather this week! My March totals are rather one dimensional: Walk dogs. 6 hours Run:: 160 miles I have had some trouble during this marathon training with left sided issues. It has me wondering if I either have a form issue or possibly a difference in leg length. It has been almost exclusively left sided. Here is a brief explanation; Pain at the very top and middle of my left thigh, tight feeling, where my buttocks starts. Left hamstring pain One week the pain was really strong and when I ran I actually had what felt like 'nerve' pains around my left knee area. Sort of a prickling shooting pain. It didn't last long and hasn't returned. My right side hasn't had any issues. I have considered having a running coach do an assessment. Does anyone have any thoughts? I wondered about piriformis but I think that is higher on the buttocks than what I am having. I appreciate any thoughts you guys have. Mary
Impressive mileage especially battling your left side! I assume you roll and stretch, right? From my many tours of duty at PT I'm convinced that all leg problems are caused by weak hips - especially in women. Of course I'm not a medical professional and it's just my opinion...... Having said that, finding a good PT who knows their stuff (and being an athlete helps) is the key. They will probably be able to diagnose you better than any ortho or md. And better yet, they know how to fix you. Do you have a run group you can ask around to find one? Good luck. Sorry I have nothing specific but my pains tend to be below the knee

I actually have an anatomical leg length issue, 1.2cm, but Ranee's right, it's rare.  I had both sides of my leg bones xrayed and measured (or some other radiology test).  Typically it's a pelvic shift issue.  I would highly recommend working with a good PT or kiniseologist who runs to get it sorted out post marathon.  You will do yourself more harm the longer you wait.  Once diagnosed and corrected with an insert it made a world of difference to my running.  I used to run in stability shoes, now I'm in neutral (note: not minimalist).

Saw my brand new PT today for prehab.  We'll be working on some lateral stability while I wait for surgery which is now scheduled for 4/15.  I am doing a little run test this weekend, but do not believe it is going to yield positive results.    

2014-04-02 5:44 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
Thanks to all of you for the great input. I actually had not thought of a PT but I am fairly new to all of this still.

I will run my race Sunday then get on someone's schedule for an assessment. I work in a hospital and my internist is also a runner so I can probably get some recommendations.

I appreciate the feedback!

Mary
2014-04-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Note to self: SLOW DOWN!!! When you finally get to run outside in shorts, in the daylight, without rain or a raging wind...you still need to run your "easy" runs at the stupid slow pace that doesn't inflame your knee.

I'm gonna pay for tonight's short (supposed to be easy) run, but it was soooo nice out. Plus the wind and freezing rain is coming and apparently for the next couple days its supposed to have a "feel like" temp in the teens again. What month is it again?!?!

/End rant...have a good night everyone.
2014-04-03 5:46 AM

User image

Master
I got my last long run in of 16 miles last night for my marathon on 4/13. I felt that. I didn't get a 20 miler on my schedule provided by my coach, and I'm assuming that if I had hit all the little runs in between the long runs I shouldn't have a problem race day. I worry I will have some issues. I'm not afraid to gut out the last 10 miles, but I really wanted to cut some time off from my first marathon, which I ran in 5:20ish. It was a comeback race off of a knee injury from soccer. I was still heavy and slow race day. I uh... ate and lounged a lot while in recovery.

Husband and I are both doing it and have paid for it, so can't bail, haha! I don't want to, but I'll be digging deep for it. My lungs are great! The legs are pretty darn good too IF I don't waste energy on ugly form and negative thinking.

Anyway, that's what's up after Xterra at the moment. I know nutrition's going to be something I'm going to have to get right to get the most out of my body. Any tips?

Thanks, guys! Happy training.

Edited by Blanda 2014-04-03 5:51 AM

2014-04-03 8:57 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Positive thoughts Blanda. I'm sure you'll kill it.

My schedule has been all over the place with conferences and meetings. I'm getting in one workout per day at least but I've had zero time to swim. People just love scheduling meetings at 10 or 11 AM so they have an excuse to get lunch after and the PR side of me can't skip out on that. Next week my wife is out of town Mon-Wed so I really need to hit the pool those 3 days at lunch because I can't get much more than strength training in at night.
2014-04-03 12:35 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
So Blanda and Mary have races this weekend - anyone else?

I'm sure you'll do great and represent us well
2014-04-03 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey all, just checking in from here near Memphis. The GF and I are getting in a pretty solid week of workouts. It's really a benefit that we're training for not just the same distance race, but the same exact race in IM Choo. We got in a 60 mile ride and 5 mile run yesterday, and then an early pool workout, where I got in 3,000. It was a really good workout; the pool is set up for long course now, so I took advantage and did a long set: 300 WU, 1,500 set, 1,000 set, then 500 set. It was nice and long, and boring, but nice to get in some long distance swimming. We have another long bike planned for Saturday, then Sunday long run. A pretty typical week, all in all! I hope everyone else is doing well!
2014-04-03 5:34 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Blanda,

My nutrition for my first couple marathons was a gel every 45 minutes. I had them pinned to the waist band of my shorts and every 45 minutes, as I was nearing an aid station (so I could wash it down with water) I would take a gel. I felt like it was a good plan and never ran short on energy (I bonked, badly, once in my training for my first marathon and definitely did not want to do that in a race).

Rene is racing this weekend.... I think. Galveston 70.3 is on Sunday. Forecast is calling for thunderstorms so I hope they can do the race. Maybe they will only have to cancel the swim. I know that would break Rene's heart.
2014-04-03 7:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I'm racing a sprint in Tallahassee on Saturday. Rain/thunderstorms in the forecast. Hope it holds off so I can get a race in.

2014-04-04 8:27 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning everyone-sorry I have been absent a good bit this week. Crazy week at work, washer went out at home and trying to get out of town for a race.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! Will try to check in tonight from Tallahassee. 

2014-04-04 1:12 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by wannabefaster Blanda, My nutrition for my first couple marathons was a gel every 45 minutes. I had them pinned to the waist band of my shorts and every 45 minutes, as I was nearing an aid station (so I could wash it down with water) I would take a gel. I felt like it was a good plan and never ran short on energy (I bonked, badly, once in my training for my first marathon and definitely did not want to do that in a race). Rene is racing this weekend.... I think. Galveston 70.3 is on Sunday. Forecast is calling for thunderstorms so I hope they can do the race. Maybe they will only have to cancel the swim. I know that would break Rene's heart.

I did Galveston a few years ago when they had absolutely awful weather for both the sprint and HIM.  I did both races.  Wind blew up and the waves were so high and bad they cancelled the swim and had a TT start of sorts.  Same tale the next day, but they let the swim go off because HIM'ers are presumably "better" swimmers.  I survived, but drank a ton of salt water in the process.  May the wind be gentle for you Rene!

2014-04-04 3:56 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Spring break began today...there's some big golf tournament in town.

10 days of nothing but time to swim, bike and run....and grade 70 essays.
2014-04-04 5:50 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

, North Carolina
I've got my first race of the season next weekend. A 5K at the beach what's even better is that it's the same beach as my "A" sprint Tri in June.

Does anyone have any thoughts on tapering for one sport like I'll be doing this week?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.