BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-04-29 6:58 AM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Great racing everyone. I love reading race reports of people from our group, kind of makes you feel like you were there.

I keep being jealous that everyone is already racing this season and then I see that my first race has kind of snuck up on me. I have a dualathlon this Sunday. 5k/13mi/1.5mi. I've only done one dual before and came in third for my AG but I didn't push myself nearly hard enough, IMO. I really don't have any expectations for the race itself as I just signed up last week because I was chomping at the bit to race. I have a plan for pace and HR for miles 2 and 3 of the 5k (mile 1 will probably be more feel than anything), then on the bike I'm thinking I should be between 35-40 minutes based on my HR and feel. I'm relatively familiar with the course as it's near my work and I've biked around the area enough. Then the 1.5 miles at the end is literally going to be going as hard as I can which I'm psyched on. I can't wait to leave it all out there. Best part is that the race is a family friendly event near a farm so there's a petting zoo and stuff so as long as it's not pouring rain my wife and son will be there cheering me on. Seeing the kid in transition holding his Iron Man and Incredible Hulk toys and yelling at me is the best feeling in the world. Back to work, everyone have a good day!

2014-04-30 6:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Hi, guys! New month coming up. I'm going to kick it up a notch for our National Triathlon thingamajig in June. It's an Olympic distance that can qualify you for the national team. Who knows?! :D

This weekend there's a sprint triathlon I want to try and just go balls to walls with, if that's okay to say here. We'll see.

I think I may get myself banned at Tri Talk. My parenting skills has been questioned and that will always bring out the worst in me, haha!

Happy Hump Day for you, Thursday for me.

Edited by Blanda 2014-04-30 6:11 AM
2014-04-30 8:22 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jon-good luck this weekend. Always fun to have a race close by where the family can be there for support.

Blanda-good luck in your race. Sprints can hurt alot....I always figure the only time I should not feel like I'm on the edge is during the swim.

Wow, unbelievable amounts of rain here. We had the threat of tornadoes as well but fortunately they didn't materialize. Estimates for rainfall are between 10 and 24 inches over the last 48 hours depending on location. I've lived down here for 25 years and can't remember this much rain. We are fine but it is a mess. 

2014-04-30 5:53 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Jon-good luck this weekend. Always fun to have a race close by where the family can be there for support.

Blanda-good luck in your race. Sprints can hurt alot....I always figure the only time I should not feel like I'm on the edge is during the swim.

Wow, unbelievable amounts of rain here. We had the threat of tornadoes as well but fortunately they didn't materialize. Estimates for rainfall are between 10 and 24 inches over the last 48 hours depending on location. I've lived down here for 25 years and can't remember this much rain. We are fine but it is a mess. 

That is a whole lot of water. I keep expecting to see you on national TV, wading down your street.

Hang in there.
2014-04-30 6:33 PM

User image

Master

Yes, yes. I should be careful with the swim. Thank you for pulling me back on that one.
2014-04-30 7:03 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Good job on the PR! Nice picture. I have the same skirt

OMG LMAO!! :D

I LOVE that skort! Details!! I adore running in skorts.

2014-05-01 9:36 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

I LOVE that skort! Details!! I adore running in skorts.

details on the skort? LOL I got it a few years back on steepandcheap.com (it's a skirt sports skirt) and then last fall I saw the matching arm warmers on sierratradingpost.com on clearance. They chaffed the ^#%& out of my underarm on one arm - guess that's why they were on clearance but hey - I looked good, right?
2014-05-01 9:37 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
ok so check this out - every year I'm the team captain for big BikeMS ride. Well they don't provide bike racks so last night, me and my friend Dan made two 5' racks! HEH! We figure we can get 4 bikes on each so we'll see how it goes and maybe make more next year!

Oh yeah and I swam today - 2,600 yards - my most ever I think in 1 workout. Thanks to my new coach

(IMG_20140430_194430187.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20140430_194430187.jpg (3044KB - 9 downloads)
2014-05-01 12:50 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-my what a nice rack you have there! ....sorry couldn't help myself. Good job on the swim. Hope the new coach works out well for you. 

2014-05-01 1:07 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee-my what a nice rack you have there! ....sorry couldn't help myself. Good job on the swim. Hope the new coach works out well for you. 

Heh heh - you're not the first!
2014-05-01 5:31 PM

User image

Figured since I have my first race on May 10th that I should probably do an open water swim before then since I haven't done one since September 29th. Only swam 900 yards....went okay...felt comfortable in the water, I'm just SO STINKING SLOW. Oh well...I'm in a much better place than I was one year ago and couldn't swim more than 50 yards without wanting to die. 1500 yards next weekend is not going to be very fun.

2014-05-01 9:07 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-OWS seem to get easier the more you do them. I always seem to do better if I go really easy for the first 150-200 yards. Keeps my HR from spiking and allows me to build into the swim.

So, who is racing this weekend? If I recall Jon has a duathlon and Blanda is doing a sprint. Anyone else?

2014-05-02 5:43 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Good luck to anyone racing this weekend. I look forward to hearing how it goes since it seems like the group is off to a great start for the year, hopefully I'll be able to contribute with a little racing yet this summer.

For now though, the PT is kindly requesting that I take 7-10 days off running and work through some of the muscle recruitment issues I am having, especially my left quad (possibly related to surgery) and glutes. I have like 30-45 minutes of exercises to do every day and he said I can still ride, just not real hard. Dealing with a little bit of posterior tibialis (shin splints) issue and it seems that the problem originates much higher up in my leg, like all the way up, as opposed to just being the tight, right calf I have been thinking it was. I had another slow motion, multi camera video capture done on gait yesterday and some of it has improved in the last couple weeks, but it still looks like a mess to me. Frustrating...but I want to be in this for the long haul so I'm committing to the boring work now in hopes that it will improve my ability to train a little harder in the next month or so.

Have a great Friday everyone and golld luck this weekend!
2014-05-02 4:03 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
No race for me but I realize that I am precisely two weeks out from my first tri of the season, American Triple T. I am both excited and terrified. Depending on how I feel I may be racing or just using it as a long, tough training weekend.

I have taken the last couple weeks very easy and it seems to be the right recipe for getting my mojo back. I am the best I have felt in a long time. Maybe not the most fit I have felt, but overall I feel good.

Tomorrow morning we are packing the whole family into the minivan and driving to South Carolina. We have some friends in the Charleston/Kiawah Island area so we are planning to spend the week visiting and goofing off. Should be fun. Last time we went to South Carolina our water heater boiled over and flooded the whole basement. Wouldn't you know it, on Wednesday the water was suddenly coming out of the faucets scalding hot. Fortunately the plumber was available and more than willing to separate me from $700 in order to make sure that we would not have a repeat experience.......

I will be taking the bike, running shoes and swim stuff with me. I am pretty sure that there is a 50 meter pool on Kiawah Island that I will have access to so training will continue unabated.

Good luck to this weekend's racers. Do the group proud
2014-05-02 5:47 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-safe travels. That is a beautiful area.

2014-05-03 10:03 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Have fun Jason!!

A bunch of people from my tri group signed up to ride 100 miles for MS as part of my annual fundraising team. And for most if not all of them, it'll be their longest ride ever. So I took a few of them out today for a 30 miles spin. It was a good ride - and these people are very nice but at 14.5mph they are going to be out there pedaling 100 miles for a long time. Of course it's all for a good cause and I appreciate everything they bring to the team.

I may go out later on my new bike. I don't think she's getting the time she deserves.

So that is all for today! Train/race/rest well this weekend!

2014-05-03 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

Had a nice 6 1/2 mile run this morning. The weather was absolutely stunning. Been feeling a little tweak in my left leg over the past few days. Fortunately, I have a 4 week follow up appt already scheduled on Monday with my exercise physio.

Spent hours weeding flowebeds and mowing this afternoon. I'm going to.feel it tomorrow.

Big group bike ride tomorrow. I'm leading the 'short route' at 35 miles while all those training for full IM are going 60. I rode for 40 minutes in my new saddle on Friday. It's a dream in aero. My sit bones feel the pressure when I'm up on the horns, but that's pressure I can deal with. No pain, pressure or discomfort anywhere else.

Jason...I've got several friends racing TTT. I hope you all have a great weekend.
2014-05-03 7:27 PM

User image

, North Carolina
No race for me this weekend but I did get in my first OWS for the season... man... my last OWS was in September... and not even in this country! It was great though! Turned it into a swim/bike brick by riding the bike home. I was reminded on that ride why I love this sport. I was powering it up a hill and focusing on form when I got passed by another guy on a road bike. As he passed he said hello and then "way to keep the cadence high, keep it up!" That was awesome! There are not many sports, especially individual sports, where there is such camaraderie and encouragement among participants. I love it!

Just thought I'd share that with ya'll. This also kind of made the decision for me on whether or not to join the Tri club at my LBS next year... definitely gonna give it a shot!

2014-05-03 8:32 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm in Knoxville, so a little more than half way to Charleston. We will get up early and try to get to the beach by 1:00 tomorrow. Might happen or might not.

I got in a short trainer ride this morning. I either over estimated my free time or severely under estimated how much I would have to help with packing. Needless to say, in the interest of marital harmony, my two hour ride became 55 minutes and I was happy to get it. I had a bit of an epiphany this morning. For me, riding the bike always hurts to some degree. For some reason that hurt makes me want to shut down on the bike. The same degree of hurt on the run doesn't bother me nearly as much. I think I need to reset what my brain interprets as appropriate "pain" on the bike. I need to embrace the suck and power through the bike training in order to see the improvements I want. My bike has lagged behind in the Improvement category and that needs to change. Probably nothing earth shattering, and the fact that I am fairly well rested makes the concept of suffering seem not nearly so bad. We will see if I have the same attitude at the end of one of my IM build weeks.....
2014-05-03 8:36 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

Jason...I've got several friends racing TTT. I hope you all have a great weekend.

If you want to send me their information, I am going down to TTT solo. I would love someone to hang out with. My daughter has a LC swim meet that weekend so my wife will be taking her to that. Hopefully I am not too destroyed to get myself home as I am scheduled to work on Monday morning.
2014-05-04 2:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
My last sprint distance in 2012 I finished in 1:51:11 and today I finished in 1:35:22. Really happy with that improvement! I didn't wear my watch so no idea the time for each leg, and it was a "no frills" for the tri-fed, so just an overall time was recorded.

Edited by Blanda 2014-05-04 2:12 AM

2014-05-04 5:36 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by Blanda

My last sprint distance in 2012 I finished in 1:51:11 and today I finished in 1:35:22. Really happy with that improvement! I didn't wear my watch so no idea the time for each leg, and it was a "no frills" for the tri-fed, so just an overall time was recorded.

That's awesome Blanda! Congrats. That's a huge difference in times. It sounds like you're always out there pushing yourself, it must be paying off!
2014-05-04 6:28 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Blanda My last sprint distance in 2012 I finished in 1:51:11 and today I finished in 1:35:22. Really happy with that improvement! I didn't wear my watch so no idea the time for each leg, and it was a "no frills" for the tri-fed, so just an overall time was recorded.

Great job Blanda!

2014-05-04 6:32 AM

User image

Blanda...that's a HUGE improvement!! Well done. I think sometimes it's good for your to leave the watch at home and just race/train based on how you feel.
2014-05-04 6:50 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Wow. That is an amazing improvement.

I agree with how nice it can be to leave the watch behind sometimes.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.