General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What about HR training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-09 12:56 PM

New user
Subject: What about HR training?
Hi...just had a question about HR training. I am doing my first sprint August 8th. Before that I did my first anything (10K) in September. That is the extent of my racing experience. I am pretty fit though, have been comsistently working out for the past couple years. I am fine with all the distances of the sprint (500m, 20K, 5K). I find I am fairly equally slow at all three sports. I do each sport at least twice, sometimes three times a week and strength training (full body) once a week. I just started making one of my running workouts a speed drill. Also started working with a swimmer to improve technique. With biking I am just contniuing to log the kilometres to increase comfort, speed etc.

So...with all that info, what do people think about HR training? It seems to have a reputation for building speed. I only have a month to go though, does it seem worthwile at my level or perhaps to add for a later goal? I am thinking about a half marathon in the fall. Any thoughts would be great!

Kirsten

2004-07-09 1:29 PM
in reply to: #36364

Saskatoon
Subject: RE: What about HR training?
Just had a class on that actually, but have had no experience personally yet. The guy said that it worked well for building endurance for longer distances, and built a good solid foundation for longer races by increasing your aerobic threshold (?)...looking into buying one myself so looking as well for someone's experience that has trained with one...
2004-07-09 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
HR Training is a good tool to use, but remember that heart rate can be affected by stress, lack of sleep, hydration, heat, humidity, etc. As long as you are aware of this, it can give you a good guideline of training zones to workout in for different types of training, i.e, speedwork, tempo runs, recovery runs, endurance runs, etc.
2004-07-09 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I tried it, and I didn't like it. I felt like my running was getting slower when I kept my HR low for every work out. (and it was)... I don't know if I did it incorrectly, or if it was actually working to my detriment, but HR training did not work for me. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary for shorter distances. I believe it to be totally necessary for 1/2 IM and above, though... I've ditched the HR monitor for this season and will read up on it in greater detail this winter. Then I'll decide if I want to have another go at it next season. I know plenty of triathletes who swear by it... I just haven't had great luck with it this year. ??? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What about HR training? Rss Feed