BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-12-31 12:00 AM
in reply to: JeanneBean

Subject: RE: Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN)
Hey all, sorry it took me a couple of days to get back with my intro bio....I look forward to getting to know everyone better and hopefully we can all have a kick a$$ 2014 season.

NAME: Larchmonttri - Brian

STORY: Not that dissimilar to alot of folks...it was the annual Kona coverage that got me started. A few years ago, I was watching the Kona coverage and there was an 81 year old nun (whose name escapes me right now) finishing Kona. If I recall correctly, she had completed a dozen or so IM races and she was still going strong. And there I was on my couch. I had been watching the Kona coverage for years and never thought I could actually do it. Well, if an 81 year old nun could, then so could I. Not sure if that qualifies as divine intervention, but in any case I got up the next morning and laced up my running shoes and that's how it all started. My first season, I completed an olympic distance race. I've since moved up to 70.3 and 140.6 distance races.

FAMILY: Married and a 7 yo daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: Yes, I am currently training. Averaging 5-7 hours of SBR per week right now...that said, mostly just running and biking. Trying to do at least 1-2 abs and upper body workouts per week to complement my SBR. The upper body work is fairly light (ie. not trying to bulk-up) - just some push-ups, pull-ups, some curls, etc. My logs here on BT are up-to-date with my SBR training (I generally don't log my abs/upper body workouts). I fairly pleased with where I am right now, though I need to work in more time in the pool.

2013 RACES: I raced the Musselman in mid-July. The Musselman is a 70.3 distance race in upstate NY. I did ok. That said, I know I can go faster, but it was pretty hot that day and that's my kryptonite.

2014 RACES: Syracuse 70.3 and IMMT

WEIGHTLOSS: Probably could lose some, but as my training increases, I think that'll take care of itself. That said, I'm also incorporating more interval/sprint into my training regimen, and that should help as well.

WHY I WOULD BE A GOOD MEMBER: I love triathlons and realise that I still have alot to learn, so while I've done some long-distance races, I think I'm still on a fairly steep part of the learning curve.

Hope this works. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy Tuesday and happy new years to all!

2013-12-31 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4915070

My name is Tsitsi,
I have always been a seasonal recreational runner. In 2012 i was inspired by a picture ladies in my running group wearing their triathlon gear. I signed up for the NYC triathlon and had yet to learn how to swim. February 2013 was my first swim and two months to that date would start my first triathlon marking the beginning of my journey. Seven triathlons, five sprints and two olympic distance later i am ready for 70.3 in 2014. I have signed up for eaglemen and Princeton.
I dont have much experience but i am will and able to learn.

I have four day out of the week to train. I have a seven year old son and i could shed off some pounds in the process. Thank you.
2013-12-31 12:41 PM
in reply to: JeanneBean

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by JeanneBean Birkierunner/Jim Kelley and gang! I'd like to try this group! STORY: I'm a 37 year old Occupational Therapist (and Artist) who started competing in cycling over 10 years ago.

Welcome Jeanne and Happy New Year!

2013-12-31 12:42 PM
in reply to: nskwilson

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
Originally posted by nskwilson
I'm weak in the dryland disciplines of triathlon and want to improve. Sounds like there are quite a few folks in this group that could help guide me.

Yep- hopefully different people's strengths will complement each other. I'm weak in the water and hoping to get better since my goal race is more swim-heavy than the others I've done.
2013-12-31 12:43 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Pro

Brian, thanks for the added bio info.  If you're racing IMMT I'll be able to answer any questions you may have about the venue since I've raced there twice.  I love that place.

2013-12-31 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Hubbie

1) Don't drown on the swim
2) Don't crash on the bike
3) Don't collaps on the run
4) Finish in under 17 hours
5) Have fun!!!!!

So with this being my first long distance tri Im sure I'll be leaning on this group for support and encouragement as I go on my adventure.

Beth - me too! I've never done longer than 70.3 and my goal race is closer to IM (2.5 mi swim / 74.5 mi bike / 18.6 mi run) so I'm hoping to learn from others' experience And those look very much like my goals!

Edited by hotalinge 2013-12-31 5:48 PM

2013-12-31 4:09 PM
in reply to: Tsitsi

User image

Veteran
If there's still space here, I think I'd like to give the mentor group a try!

My name is Jamie

I'm 44 Years old, married to a fantastic woman who also tris for fun and have a great dane who takes me for a walk every day. I teach elementary school for a living.

I've been trying tris for almost 10 years now and keep doing things I said I never would. I've completed lots and lots of sprint races and soon after trying my hand at the Oly distance, I started into HIM distance. I've done 3 HIMs over the last 3 years. 2014 will be the year of the full IM. I signed up for IM Arizona after doing the volunteer thing!

I am sure I'll have lots of questions as the year goes on.

My race schedule for 2014 is setting up like this:
March - Catalina Marathon (on Catalina Island - very hilly)
June - Escape From Alcatraz
July/August - HIM (TBA) or Full Vineman Aquabike
November - IMAZ

I hope to drop 10 - 15 pounds over the year and could probably stand to lose 20 - 30

I hope I can add some to the discussions as the season goes on. :-)
2013-12-31 8:07 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: The Same or Different?

Hey Jim,

I have a question.  I think I know the answer but not entirely sure so I will ask.

Over the next few weeks, I have one day each week which will be my "day from hell."  It happens to fall on the same day as my medium bike ride.  On that day, I can either get on the bike before the sun comes up, get on the bike after the sun goes down, or break the ride up into a couple shorter rides and fit it in during the day.

Say I have a scheduled 90 minute ride.  If done on the same day, are two 45 minute rides or three 30 minute rides or one 90 minute ride all equivalent?

Edited by k9car363 2013-12-31 8:08 PM
2013-12-31 8:07 PM
in reply to: JamieS

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JamieS If there's still space here, I think I'd like to give the mentor group a try! My name is Jamie I'm 44 Years old, married to a fantastic woman who also tris for fun and have a great dane who takes me for a walk every day. I teach elementary school for a living. I've been trying tris for almost 10 years now and keep doing things I said I never would. I've completed lots and lots of sprint races and soon after trying my hand at the Oly distance, I started into HIM distance. I've done 3 HIMs over the last 3 years. 2014 will be the year of the full IM. I signed up for IM Arizona after doing the volunteer thing! I am sure I'll have lots of questions as the year goes on. My race schedule for 2014 is setting up like this: March - Catalina Marathon (on Catalina Island - very hilly) June - Escape From Alcatraz July/August - HIM (TBA) or Full Vineman Aquabike November - IMAZ I hope to drop 10 - 15 pounds over the year and could probably stand to lose 20 - 30 I hope I can add some to the discussions as the season goes on. :-)

Welcome to the group Jamie!  Happy New Year!

2013-12-31 10:39 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

, Washington
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

A few years ago, I was watching the Kona coverage and there was an 81 year old nun (whose name escapes me right now) finishing Kona. If I recall correctly, she had completed a dozen or so IM races and she was still going strong. And there I was on my couch. I had been watching the Kona coverage for years and never thought I could actually do it. Well, if an 81 year old nun could, then so could I. Not sure if that qualifies as divine intervention, but in any case I got up the next morning and laced up my running shoes and that's how it all started.

I'm guessing the bio on the 81 year old nun that you saw was of Sister Madonna Buder. She's from Spokane, WA and her story is definitely inspiring. She was in the competition field at my first Olympic distance tri several years agon and at a Masters swim meet in Moscow, ID this past April that I competed in as well.

Happy New Year and happy training everyone!

-Nat
2014-01-01 9:26 AM

User image

Just out of curiosity, what months are everyone's goal races in? Just curious who will be training more or less in parallel...

I'm planning:
March - marathon
Aug - Olympic
Sept - ITU long course (between HIM and IM dist)

2014-01-01 11:35 AM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

, Washington
Originally posted by hotalinge

Just out of curiosity, what months are everyone's goal races in? Just curious who will be training more or less in parallel...

Half marathon - early April
Olympic - late May
Olympic - early June
HIM - mid August
Olympic - late August

-Nat
2014-01-01 12:47 PM

Saint Joseph, Michigan
Hello everyone, would like to join the discussion with you all if you will have me. :D

NAME: Thom Figueroa
Home: Saint Joseph, MI

STORY: Started biking in 2009 after getting some bad results in a bio check, high cholesterol, pre-hypertensive, over weight, etc. After a year of biking and starting to get in better health decided I wanted to compete a little to give some purpose to my biking, so I tried a sprint triathlon. That didn't go so well since I'm a very week swimmer and had to be taken out of the water by the lifeguard, but they did let me finish the bike and run. Then switched to only running and duathlon events after. In 2012 my friends talked me into doing Steelhead 70.3 IM with a free entry from my company. Started training for the swimming and scheduled an sprint and olympic distance prior to the 70.3. Quickly found that I get anxiety when my face hits the water I found that I could swim on my side which I did for the 70.3 which took 1hr 5 mins to complete, but I made it out of the water and to the bike. Hurt my knee on the bike, fatal error adding a new seat to the bike prior to the race and the fit was off, did finish the race with a terrible run, but did finish. Well, I completed the 70.3 again in 2013 and signed up for IM Wisconsin in 2014.

FAMILY: Married with a 6 YO daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started the structured training this week following a plan from a coach that is focused on interval intensity and includes strength training which is my 2014 training add on; I have really neglected the strength side of the training over the years and at 43 need to get my strength back up.

2013 RACES: Race a sprint and Olympic and Steelhead 70.3 IM.

2014 RACES: Steelhead 70.3 IM, maybe Racine 70.3 IM and IM Wisconsin also some sprint and olympic distance races.

WEIGHTLOSS: Pretty good at 165lbs, may look to go to 160 or so during the season depending on the muscle mass percentage.

WHY I WOULD BE A GOOD MEMBER: I have the Triathlon bug and want to spread that to others, also love to help others with nutrition and fitness in their lives.

Happy New Year...looking forward to an awesome 2014 of Triathlons....

Edited by tfig 2014-01-01 12:48 PM
2014-01-01 1:28 PM

User image

New user

New Brunswick
Hi Jim, first of all, Happy New Year! After thinking about my 2014 triathlon plans over the past month or so, I've set my goals, and pretty much decided on my primary races for 2014. While I've used the BT Training Log in the past, I've never joined a mentor group but it looks like your group would be a good fit for where I'm at in my TRI life. If there is still room I'd like to join this group.

Name: Mark

Story: I'm a 53 year old runner living in New Brunswick, Canada. Two years ago I realized that to keep running for years to come I'd have to make some adjustments like reduced volume and intensity. So, I thought perhaps I'd change it up a bit and started biking, which led to a duathlon in 2012 that I really enjoyed. In the fall of 2012, as it got colder here, I cut back on biking and increased my running again, as I'm really not into doing a lot of indoor spin classes. I then realized that I had to find something different and got this crazy idea that if I could swim I could train for a triathlon and focus my training on running and swimming over last winter. The problem was that I couldn't swim, but I am a member of the YMCA and we have a nice new pool. So, last October (2012) I jumped into the 25 meter pool and struggled to make it to the other end. But, I did survive the 25 meters and decided that I could only improve if I kept practicing. It was a tough winter of training, but it proved to be be beneficial and I was able to complete 2 sprint triathlons last summer (2013). Now, I am looking at training for longer distances and could use some help and support of others.

Family: I've been married for 35 great years. My wife and I are empty nesters with 2 sons, 25 and 27 years old. I'm very fortunate as my wife is always my biggest fan and personal photographer at my races - running or TRIs

Training: My training has been light since the end of October, when I ran a marathon. It was time to rest after a pretty intense training year, tend to some minor aches and pains and prepare for next season. Now, I'm about to start a 4 week program to rebuild my base with a focus on strength training and core work. I find that yoga has always been a helpful addition with both. After the 4 weeks I plan on starting a 20 week HIM program and will likely use a custom BT training program, with a few modifications to make allowances for continued strength and core training, at least in the first several weeks. I will also be using the BT training log, which I was doing through the 2013 season as well.

Weight: Hasn't been a problem to keep it off, at least when I'm swimming consistently when the challenge is how not to lose too much. But, I would like to build some muscle strength/weight, which I don't think will be easy - at my age and training for TRIs.

2013 Races: 5k, 10k, 2 HMs and a FM - running. 2 sprint TRIs.

2014 Races - Not yet registered, but I'm looking at:
May - 10k run; Fredericton (New Brunswick) Marathon weekend
June - Duathlon; Moncton, New Brunswick
July - 70.3 Triathlon; Challenge St. Andrews (New Brunswick)
August - perhaps an Olympic distance, venue tbd
October - Full Marathon, venue tbd

As a 50+ age grouper, I know I have limitations on the intensity of training that I can do, which is not easy as I always want to be competitive in each race. So, I could really use others' advice and experience as I train for longer distance triathlons. I could also use any help available in regards to designing a training program including strength training. On the other side of the coin, I've been through most everything when it comes to injuries and am always pleased to share my experiences when it can help others in regards to prevention or recovery/rebuilding from injuries.

Mark

2014-01-01 2:18 PM

Originally posted by hotalinge

I'm planning:
March - marathon
Aug - Olympic
Sept - ITU long course (between HIM and IM dist)

I'm planning:

late June - HIM (Syracuse 70.3)
mid August - IM (Mont Tremblant)

Hope everyone had a safe NYE last evening. I spent 90 minutes early yesterday evening in the basement on my bike - averaged just under 19mph, so that was pretty good. My legs were definitely feeling it towards the end. And while I was riding, I read through the past few days worth of Wall Street Journals that had been piling up, so I accomplished two goals.

Probably going to run on my treadmill later tonight. It's just above freezing here in the NY metro area and the forecast calls for snow over the next 24 hours, so I'll settle for steaming up the basement rather than freezing my you-know-whats off outside.

Happy 2014 to all!

2014-01-01 2:28 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: The Same or Different?

Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Jim,

I have a question.  I think I know the answer but not entirely sure so I will ask.

Over the next few weeks, I have one day each week which will be my "day from hell."  It happens to fall on the same day as my medium bike ride.  On that day, I can either get on the bike before the sun comes up, get on the bike after the sun goes down, or break the ride up into a couple shorter rides and fit it in during the day.

Say I have a scheduled 90 minute ride.  If done on the same day, are two 45 minute rides or three 30 minute rides or one 90 minute ride all equivalent?

Scott, as you probably guessed...they are not all equivalent. A 90 minute ride is a 90 minute ride.  I'd urge trying to get it done as planned, but life simply gets in the way.  If you can't pull off the 90 minute ride I would opt for the 2 x 45' as a last resort and maybe ride them a little more intensively.  I wouldn't bother with 3 x 30' because you spend too much time warming up and cooling down.

2014-01-01 6:28 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by enders_shadow
Originally posted by holt1997 Hi Jim (and group) Thank you for letting me in. Probably my biggest question and concern for a full IM is nutrition. I don't want to bonk or under prepare. I also know there are a lot of ins and outs to consider. I also know this is not going to be a simple quick fix or answer but is a discussion I would love to have. I did a 70.3 at Lake Stevens and didn't have any nutritional issues but adding that much distance again could be challenging.
Full IM nutrition is a big question for me too - definitely want in on the discussion. For my 70.3 this fall, I didn't follow my eating plan...didn't suffer any consequences, but I realized I was way under-nourished after the bike...the opposite of what I should have been.

Kristen, what was your nutrition strategy for the race where you said you were under-nourished?

So, for my practice rides, I had used uncrustables, payday bars, and gels - along with gatorade w/ salt...it had the potential to be a hot race and so that's what I trained with. About 100-150 calories per hour was the plan.

I sucked a gel in T1 while I was gathering my thoughts (swim is my tough discipline). Then instead of eating the uncrustable (which sounded gross at the time), I ended up eating a bite of payday bar every 10 miles or so. Basically I only ate about 200 calories the whole bike (and I'm not fast - 7:21 for this whole HIM). I'm getting faster, but I need to figure out how to eat more on the bike - because I don't plan on walking so much of the run this year and because I'm going longer at the end of the season. I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense, but I know that 200 calories over 3.5 hours probably wasnt' enough.
2014-01-01 6:51 PM
in reply to: jmwies

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmwies Hi Jim, first of all, Happy New Year! After thinking about my 2014 triathlon plans over the past month or so, I've set my goals, and pretty much decided on my primary races for 2014. While I've used the BT Training Log in the past, I've never joined a mentor group but it looks like your group would be a good fit for where I'm at in my TRI life. If there is still room I'd like to join this group. Name: Mark Story: I'm a 53 year old runner living in New Brunswick, Canada.

Hi Mark and welcome to the group.  I'll join you at 53 y.o. in 13 days so I can empathize with you somewhat but to be frank, I don't view early 50s as a handicap and a reason to adopt an overly cautious approach to training.  We certainly need to listen to our bodies but at the same time I'm not ready to let age be a reason why I'm not training to my potential.  Happy New Year

2014-01-01 7:25 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: The Same or Different?

Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Jim,

Scott, as you probably guessed...they are not all equivalent. A 90 minute ride is a 90 minute ride.  I'd urge trying to get it done as planned, but life simply gets in the way.  If you can't pull off the 90 minute ride I would opt for the 2 x 45' as a last resort and maybe ride them a little more intensively.  I wouldn't bother with 3 x 30' because you spend too much time warming up and cooling down.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I dislike the trainer but dislike riding in the dark even more soooooo . . . Guess I suck it up, put on a Sufferfest video and hit the trainer.

2014-01-01 7:46 PM

User image

New user

New Brunswick
Thanks, Jim, I appreciate your views regarding training as one ages and look forward to more dialogue over the coming weeks. My main goal this year is to optimize my training but remain healthy and avoid injury.

Mark
2014-01-01 7:54 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Happy New Year everyone! Hopefully 2014 is full of a lot of fun, and safe training/racing.

Hello to all of the new faces that have joined the group. It looks like the group is full of people with different levels of experience and goals. It should be a fun journey through the next few months.

Originally posted by Hubbie

Personally it took me almost a month ro feel fully recovered when I did Racine 70.3 a few years ago. But take this with a grain of salt as I did it with a newly healed hip which I managed to almost reinjure during the race. But I would say at least a week if your new to the distance. But that's just my opion, I'd be intrested to see what others have to say.

Beth

Thanks for sharing your recovery experience Beth. I was figuring it would take a few weeks to recover, but it sounds like from what you and Jim said it will probably take longer than I was thinking. I haven't signed up for any races yet, but now I'm starting to rethink which races I want to do.

Anthony, from your original bio posting it sounded like the half ironman was more your goal race but in this recent post it sounds like the Chicago Oly is your "A" race...is that right?  The answer to that will influence how I answwer this question.  If I had an athlete that had an Olympic as their goal race I would probably not have them racing a HIM to get ready for it.  Instead, I would do more sprint and Oly races to get the intensity level up; and also there is much less time required for recovery from the shorter distances and you don't need to spend much time tapering either.  By using sprint/Oly distances as your B and C (importance level) races you can incorporate them as part of your training to prep for your A race.  By racing a HIM you will spend time tapering for that race (diminshed training opportunity) and will require a lot more time to recover.  The week after the HIM should be spent resting for a couple days and then easing very gently into workouts for "active recovery".  Depending on how hard you race the HIM it will take a couple weeks to get back to normal training.  If the Chicago Lifetime is your goal race but you still want to do a HIM then I would probably opt to race the Rev3 (assuming its a HIM?) in June to give more time before Chicago.  Finally, I wouldn't spend 2 weeks tapering for an Olympic...that's waaaay too much quality training time lost if you taper so far out for a shorter race.  The week prior is plenty of time.  Hope this helps.

Jim, thanks for your response. Yes, the Chicago Oly is my A race. This whole HIM idea started a couple weeks ago. I'm usually not so impulsive, but I am thinking of going back to school part time while I work, and that would mean a HIM would probably be out of the picture for the next few years.

Knowing myself, I would go into the HIM thinking I would just take it easy, and then a few people that I know I could keep up with would pass me on the bike, and that would be the end of my easy day. The REV3 in Wisconsin Dells has both an Oly and HIM distance so I could choose to do either, but for now I'm thinking I will stick with the Oly distance this year and just up the intensity of my training like you said.

2014-01-02 7:58 AM
in reply to: Antwonathon

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Antwonathon  Jim, thanks for your response. Yes, the Chicago Oly is my A race. This whole HIM idea started a couple weeks ago. I'm usually not so impulsive, but I am thinking of going back to school part time while I work, and that would mean a HIM would probably be out of the picture for the next few years. Knowing myself, I would go into the HIM thinking I would just take it easy, and then a few people that I know I could keep up with would pass me on the bike, and that would be the end of my easy day. The REV3 in Wisconsin Dells has both an Oly and HIM distance so I could choose to do either, but for now I'm thinking I will stick with the Oly distance this year and just up the intensity of my training like you said.

I can certainly understand the desire to do the HIM if you think you might have only a small window of opportunity to do one in the next few years due to school.  However, the HIM distance will always be there so no need to rush.  I think you're making a wise decision by going with the shorter distances and upping the intensity to prepare for Chicago. 

2014-01-02 8:04 AM

User image

My "A" race will be mid July HIM, so I'll be pushing through some mosquito infested outdoor runs in June. Blood letting is healthy though right?
Todd
2014-01-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Pro

Originally posted by enders_shadow

Originally posted by enders_shadow  Full IM nutrition is a big question for me too - definitely want in on the discussion. For my 70.3 this fall, I didn't follow my eating plan...didn't suffer any consequences, but I realized I was way under-nourished after the bike...the opposite of what I should have been.

Kristen, what was your nutrition strategy for the race where you said you were under-nourished?

So, for my practice rides, I had used uncrustables, payday bars, and gels - along with gatorade w/ salt...it had the potential to be a hot race and so that's what I trained with. About 100-150 calories per hour was the plan. I sucked a gel in T1 while I was gathering my thoughts (swim is my tough discipline). Then instead of eating the uncrustable (which sounded gross at the time), I ended up eating a bite of payday bar every 10 miles or so. Basically I only ate about 200 calories the whole bike (and I'm not fast - 7:21 for this whole HIM). I'm getting faster, but I need to figure out how to eat more on the bike - because I don't plan on walking so much of the run this year and because I'm going longer at the end of the season. I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense, but I know that 200 calories over 3.5 hours probably wasnt' enough.

You mentioned you didn't suffer any consequences by not following your eating plan but you knew after the bike that you were under-nourised.  So, in effect you did suffer consequences because you weren't properly fueled for the run.  The importance of fueling on the bike obviously increases even more as you get to the IM distance, but if you were out there for 7:21 for your race and had a 3:36 bike split then you still need to pay particular attention to fueling on the bike.  As a rough rule of thumb you want to take in 1 to 1.5 g of carbs per kg of body weight per hour.  The actual amount needed for racing is something that will vary from athlete to athlete and is something you will have to work out for yourself in training to see what works for you.   A total of 200 cals for your entire 3.5 hr ride is definitely not enough for optimal performance.  Based on your body weight you should be able to figure out how many grams of carbs per hour you should be consuming on the bike.  Typically, racers can't take in as much fuel on the run so you would probably target about 40% less per hour on the run.  Again, each athlete will be different.

The key to fueling for a race is simpicity.  Your mind can easily wander during a long race and the last thing you want is to have to remember a complicated fueling plan.  For an IM race I like to take in liquid fuel every 10 minutes (1 bottle/hr) and then take in more solid fuel (e.g. GU or part of a Powerbar) at every 0:15 and 0:45 minutes of each hour.  In addition, I take one Salt Stick cap per hour.  I complete my total water requirement by using plain water to wash down the GU and Powerbar.  Finally, you don't want to wait until race day to figure out what nutrition strategy works for you.  Use your longer workouts to practice.

2014-01-02 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

Hey, is there room for one more? If so, I"ll post a more complete bio.

In the meantime, a few things about me: I'm training for IM Wisconsin this year, which will be my first IM.  I'm ready for the big dance in 2014!

Melissa

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18357 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60526 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : March 27, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
It's a lot easier to be really fit and fast than really healthy and happy.

date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.