General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Lap Swimming in Oakland County Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-01 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Subject: Open Lap Swimming in Oakland County
Hey everyone!

I'll be in Michigan this weekend visiting friends and family and am desperately looking for a place to get a good swim in on Friday morning. I'll be in Troy, but don't mind driving a bit. Does anybody know of anywhere where I can just pay to swim, and not join the club, be a city resident, or be someone's guest?

Any help would be appreciated!

-Jess

2006-08-01 4:25 PM
in reply to: #499617

Clarkston MI
Subject: RE: Open Lap Swimming in Oakland County
Try either of the Troy High Schools. Go to their website and check their open swim times is my suggestion. Their is a YMCA next to Oakland U. which has a pool as well.
Hope this helps.
2006-08-01 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Hey, Jess, I'm a member of lifetime fitness - which has locations in Troy (indoor, 25m) and Rochester Hills (indoor AND outdoor, 25m).  Guest admissions are free, so it's just a question of synching up schedules.  Rochester Hills would be easy for me....I can't work out, as I've got a race the next day, but I could prolly let you in and just hang out reading or doing phone time or whatever....

And as Wiley said, there are other options - the Troy community center, Oakland U YMCA, and either of the Troy High Schools (Troy, Athens).  I don't have web addresses for any of these, but they should be easy enough to track down.

2006-08-01 6:35 PM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Hey guys-

Thanks for the info. I already checked into the Troy Community Center. Need to be a resident or work in Troy, or come w/ a member. I spent my first 18 years in that city, and that is the love I get upon my return!?!??!

Anyway, I'm still looking at my options.

Rick- I was looking to swim sometime on Friday morning. I'd hate to make you go to the gym just to read or catch up on phone calls, so hopefully I'll find another option. What race are you doing? I was contemplating doing the Steelhead 70.3 when I found out it was the weekend I'd be in MI, but my mom told me I was crazy and reminded me that I had to host a bachelorette party that night, and a bridal shower the next day. I was thinking...finish the race by 1, get on the road by 2, be back in Troy by 5....party at 6. What's the problem?

Anyway, good luck in your race!
2006-08-01 6:44 PM
in reply to: #499910

User image

Champion
Gold member

BlueRover - 2006-08-01 7:35 PM Hey guys- Thanks for the info. I already checked into the Troy Community Center. Need to be a resident or work in Troy, or come w/ a member. I spent my first 18 years in that city, and that is the love I get upon my return!?!??! Anyway, I'm still looking at my options. Rick- I was looking to swim sometime on Friday morning. I'd hate to make you go to the gym just to read or catch up on phone calls, so hopefully I'll find another option. What race are you doing? I was contemplating doing the Steelhead 70.3 when I found out it was the weekend I'd be in MI, but my mom told me I was crazy and reminded me that I had to host a bachelorette party that night, and a bridal shower the next day. I was thinking...finish the race by 1, get on the road by 2, be back in Troy by 5....party at 6. What's the problem? Anyway, good luck in your race!

Steelhead IS the race.  I can't workout Friday because it will take precious glycogen out of my teeny stash of endurance, but a whirlpool or sauna might not be bad.  I've got the day off, anyway.

And just for thought...You bring your bike, and get an entry, we've got the hotel, and I've got the car to get you there and back.  Me, trixie, and rennick are heading over.  And I HAVE to be back by 5PM for my kids (single parent with babysitter), so I'm motivated to race & get back.  Just thinkin'.

2006-08-01 7:33 PM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
Ugh.....good luck! I'm soooo jealous. I'd love to do another half this year (did Baja 70.3 in May). Oh well, there is always next year!

2006-08-01 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
San Diego, CA
ps-

Think I've figured out my swim situation. My mom got a half day off, so she is going to take me to the community center. Thanks again, Rick, for your offer of help
2006-08-01 8:31 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Good stuff!  Glad it worked out for you.    Enjoy your swim, and root for the cadre of undertained, overoptimistic folks taking a shot at steelhead. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Lap Swimming in Oakland County Rss Feed