BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2014-02-28 5:34 PM
in reply to: Wumba41

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Subject: RE: New Year New You...reopened for late comers
How did everybody's February goals go? Hope everybody is on track and enjoying their progress =)

My February goals were not quite met the way I had hoped. With so many different obstacles and personal/family needs, it was hard to really focus on what I had planned. I'm looking for March to get back on track again. But, of course, I am starting the new month with 3 cake orders already (different weekends)

What I didn't do in February =(
* didn't get on my bicycle on the weekends for longer distance rides
* didn't start getting in some running
* didn't stick completely on my weight loss wants (I didn't gain weight, just didn't lose any either)

What I'm doing for March =)
* continue to focus on the swim meet that is on March 6th
* get things organized for the cake orders and training (better time management)
* work on my running a little bit
* get focused on my 100 mile bicycle ride in April (thank goodness I'm not having to "start all over" still commuting to/from work; even in the rain)

Come on March!!! Hoping that my time management is better planned, etc. =)

2014-03-01 12:52 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

I did see those posts and copied them into a Word file for later reference! Thanks!

Both triathlons (in May and August) are sprints. I know that May is doable, but I just don't know if I would be ready to perform at a standard that I would be happy with (in the swim, I'm not overly concerned with the bike or run). I should probably just do it, but I have a competitive nature and want to do it WELL. I think that taking a couple weeks off of training has also lowered my confidence in my abilities because I haven't been able to track/see my progression and improvement. Fingers crossed that I can maintain my motivation and get back to swimming 3-4 times a week!
2014-03-01 1:32 AM

User image

Los Angeles, California
Hello -- I just joined the site and I hope it's OK if I follow along with this group.

NAME: timeforanap / Nancy

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two young children

STORY: The first 33 years of my life were spent completely sedentary and very overweight. Four years ago I aspired to run a 5k. Did it -- although at first I couldn’t run even three houses away without losing my breath. My running buddies challenged me to run farther, and by implementing intervals (Galloway), I was able to finish a half marathon and later a marathon. Ultimately, however, I wanted to finish a triathlon. When I was in my late teens in college, I dreamed of one day being able to do one ... but first I’d have to learn how to swim. (I didn’t learn how to float until I was 20, and I took lessons until I could do the crawl stroke.) Last year -- after finally becoming comfortable with running also -- I ran out of excuses and at long last finished a sprint (Hansen Dam). (I didn’t intend to use so many parentheses.)

THIS YEAR: I’m aiming to finish the Malibu Triathlon in September. I have never swam in open water before! So simply swimming in the ocean this year will be immensely satisfying. I am registered for the LA Marathon next weekend, but the past couple months have been a training fail after fighting a nasty, nasty cough. Y’know, that one that just wouldn’t go away. And now next week will be like a surprise! How far will I be able to go? We shall see. OH, and after last year’s sprint I fell in love with bike riding all over again. I felt like a kid. I want to do some more of that.

GOALS: Weight training. Lose 10 pounds. And that daunting ocean swim.
2014-03-01 1:46 AM
in reply to: timeforanap

User image

Los Angeles, California
March goals:
-Dust off the bike. Ride the Malibu Tri Classic bike course along PCH.
-Get back in the pool at least once a week to get back into the habit.
2014-03-01 3:29 AM
in reply to: vanessawoody

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by vanessawoody

I did see those posts and copied them into a Word file for later reference! Thanks!

Both triathlons (in May and August) are sprints. I know that May is doable, but I just don't know if I would be ready to perform at a standard that I would be happy with (in the swim, I'm not overly concerned with the bike or run). I should probably just do it, but I have a competitive nature and want to do it WELL. I think that taking a couple weeks off of training has also lowered my confidence in my abilities because I haven't been able to track/see my progression and improvement. Fingers crossed that I can maintain my motivation and get back to swimming 3-4 times a week!

As the season progresses, your first triathlon won't be as well as your last.
If it was me, I would definitely participate in the May triathlon. I would set realistic goals and ones that are challenging. For example, with the 5K run at the end, I would say that I could do the run part in 45 minutes because I normally do 5K in 30 minutes and I know that I will be very tired. (i'm not much of a runner) However, if the course is hilly, I would make adjustments to the time. Same with the bike ride, I would set times that would be realistic based on my current level of fitness and the terrain.

Likewise, keep in mind that these goals will be different for the next race because of different weather, terrain, and other environment variables.

By doing the May event, you'll increase experience. You'll see where you stand with your transitions. You'll know more about how much energy you can use up during the swim. You'll gain so much knowledge that will help for your next event.

If you are comfortable with what you can do, I would go for it. Don't get me wrong, if you find that you can only bike 5 miles, maybe you're not quite ready (just an example). Challenge yourself, sounds like you are more than ready to face the challenge. Make it fun.

Set your goals and progress towards them =)
Let us know what you end up doing. It looks like you have enough time to prepare to at least finish the triathlon in May. It's just a matter of where you set your goals that will determine how competitive it will be ;-)
2014-03-01 3:40 AM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by timeforanap

Hello -- I just joined the site and I hope it's OK if I follow along with this group.

STORY: The first 33 years of my life were spent completely sedentary and very overweight. Four years ago I aspired to run a 5k. Did it -- although at first I couldn’t run even three houses away without losing my breath. My running buddies challenged me to run farther, and by implementing intervals (Galloway), I was able to finish a half marathon and later a marathon. Ultimately, however, I wanted to finish a triathlon. When I was in my late teens in college, I dreamed of one day being able to do one ... but first I’d have to learn how to swim. (I didn’t learn how to float until I was 20, and I took lessons until I could do the crawl stroke.) Last year -- after finally becoming comfortable with running also -- I ran out of excuses and at long last finished a sprint (Hansen Dam). (I didn’t intend to use so many parentheses.)

THIS YEAR: I’m aiming to finish the Malibu Triathlon in September. I have never swam in open water before! So simply swimming in the ocean this year will be immensely satisfying. I am registered for the LA Marathon next weekend, but the past couple months have been a training fail after fighting a nasty, nasty cough. Y’know, that one that just wouldn’t go away. And now next week will be like a surprise! How far will I be able to go? We shall see. OH, and after last year’s sprint I fell in love with bike riding all over again. I felt like a kid. I want to do some more of that.

Welcome to the group, Nancy (a little early; waiting for Neil to make it official)

First off... YEAH!!! another person on the West Coast. I was starting to think I was the only one. Everybody else is more Eastern and with Neil being "across the pond".

The Malibu Triathlon happens to be one that I was looking at doing as well. Neil has suggested and is encouraging me to see about an Olympic distance triathlon. I've only done a Sprint Reverse (last two years). I've been looking, but haven't signed up for anything yet...

Hope you get better soon and are ready for the LA Marathon. Good luck :-)

2014-03-01 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
March Goals:

- Get back in the pool, haven't done any swim training lately :-(
- Need to get back to a scheduled number of runs per week, snow and bad weather have derailed me last month

8 weeks until my first race of the year!

2014-03-01 5:20 PM

User image

Los Angeles, California
I had the chance to look back at some more posts in this forum, and I'm finding all the swim links tremendously helpful. Thank you! I've come to the conclusion that I need real assistance, so I'm planning to join a "swimming for triathletes" class at the local community college. I looked at the coach's bio, and it says he teaches "Total Immersion" method. I have to investigate what that entails.

Malibu Tri registration opens on Monday, but I hear it sells out quickly, so you might be forced into doing the International distance anyway! I am hoping to join via a fundraising team.

About wetsuits, does anyone have experience buying a used suit? I'm on a tight budget, so I'm tempted to get a used rental suit. Or is it worth the additional cost to just buy one new and not have to worry about it?
2014-03-02 5:46 AM

User image

Folks, apologies for being absent for the past few days, we have had a bereavement in the family, will be back posting shortly. Neil
2014-03-02 12:21 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by Wumba41

Folks, apologies for being absent for the past few days, we have had a bereavement in the family, will be back posting shortly. Neil

Mu deepest of sympathies. My heart goes out to you and your family...
2014-03-02 7:19 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
I didn't do my 5000 yd swim yesterday. Things got a little busy. But, I did end up doing my 5000 yd swim today. Finished in just over 2 hours; considering I did 1250 kicking (which is much slower), I'm very happy with the time. :-) My son went with me and both him and I kicked some butt.

I'm so tired... zzz ZZZ zzz ZZZ
Don't have energy to cook dinner tonight :-(

2014-03-02 8:04 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County

I had the chance to look back at some more posts in this forum, and I'm finding all the swim links tremendously helpful. Thank you! I've come to the conclusion that I need real assistance, so I'm planning to join a "swimming for triathletes" class at the local community college. I looked at the coach's bio, and it says he teaches "Total Immersion" method. I have to investigate what that entails.

Malibu Tri registration opens on Monday, but I hear it sells out quickly, so you might be forced into doing the International distance anyway! I am hoping to join via a fundraising team.

About wetsuits, does anyone have experience buying a used suit? I'm on a tight budget, so I'm tempted to get a used rental suit. Or is it worth the additional cost to just buy one new and not have to worry about it?

That's great that you are planning on joining a "swimming for triathletes" class. It should help you out quite a bit :-)
Total Immersion is a method of teaching and swimming focusing on swimming efficiency; at least that's how I understand it.

Unfortunately, I have no real usage knowledge about wetsuits. I just know that you should practice in your wetsuit prior to the event. This will give you some time to see how different it is when swimming. Wish I could be more help :-\
2014-03-03 6:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Our pool has been closed the past week due to heater problems. Was going to be back in operation today but snow closed the YMCA. 70 degrees yesterday and snow and iced today. Crazy!

Our Tri Club is having a "wet-suit swim" in the pool this weekend. First time swimming with my wetsuit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by pvfd304 2014-03-03 6:38 PM
2014-03-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by pvfd304

Our pool has been closed the past week due to heater problems. Was going to be back in operation today but snow closed the YMCA. 70 degrees yesterday and snow and iced today. Crazy!

Our Tri Club is having a "wet-suit swim" in the pool this weekend. First time swimming with my wetsuit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Let us know how the experience goes :-)
2014-03-05 2:12 PM

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Well, I have one more evening to prepare for the high school swim meet. Tomorrow, I'll be racing with a bunch of high school kids including my youngest son who is just about kicking my butt during swim workouts.

Last night was a simple 1000 yd swim workout
200 yd free warmup
5 x 100 yd IM (25 butterfly, 25 back, 25 breast, 25 free) @ fast pace
1 x 100 yd free
1 x 100 yd IM race pace
1 x 100 yd free

Tonight will be more sprints (25 yd all out of each stroke) and working on turns (the turns might be the only way I have a chance of not being in last place)

Looking forward to tomorrow at the same time nervous; not nervous about racing, nervous about distances I'm entered in and if I can finish them ;-)
I have 2 events with 50 yd butterfly; I haven't swam 50 yd butterfly in, well, since my high school days... LOL
2014-03-06 8:11 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
no Feb didn't go as planned I'm afraid. Picked up a calf injury (my nemesis) and made it worse trying to push through it........the Half Marathon in April is now at risk if I cant do the long runs.

My swim progress stagnated and I didnt achieve my goal of 400m non stop. However the sunday masters group is proving useful and I believe my technique is improving.

Its tough....still below freezing here day and night which is why I injured myself when I did run out there.....treadmill doesnt prepare you well for long distance outdoor running.

Oh well, reassess the goals and keep moving forward

2014-03-06 8:14 PM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
Hey David, so how did the event go?
2014-03-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: RobR

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
Originally posted by RobR

Ok... The swim meet is over and I didn't do too bad. This year, the coach kept the JV boys at the shorter distances. Maybe that's a good thing...

All individual events I was in had 7 swimmers, so my place is out of 7...

200 yd Medley - 1st place (I did 50 free; son in event different team)
200 yd free - 3rd place
100 yd IM - 4th place
50 yd free - 1st place (son in event)
50 yd fly - skip
100 yd free - 3rd place (son in event)
200 yd free relay - 1st place (I swam anchor)
50 yd back - 4th place (son in event)
50 breast - skip
400 free relay - skip (one relay member left early so not enough swimmers; son in event)

FYI: I beat my youngest son in each individual event. Just barely though... He did a great job :-)

I now have to focus back to the bicycle (100 mile ride) and still keep swimming up for next year's event (already planning)
2014-03-07 1:21 PM

User image

Hi folks, how are you all, hope all is good. Been a tricky time, lost a good friend, life can be cruel. So my update is I am officially out for the season but unofficially I'm aiming for an autumn race, but yes I will be sensible. So how's it all going, great swimming David.
2014-03-07 1:31 PM

User image

Hi Nancy just catching up on posts, apologies its been a while, welcome to our little group. Great story about how you have built up from nothing to a marathon, that's brilliant. The Malibu Triathlon sounds wonderful, I love sea swimming but alas it intends to be a bit colder over here in the UK. The advantage with sea swimming is extra buoyancy due to the levels of salt, the challenge is obviously potentially choppy waters depending on the day. Being comfortable breathing on either side is a real advantage as if the waves are hitting you from one side you can switch to the other. (Note message free of parentheses, damn failed at the final hurdle)!
2014-03-07 1:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by [email protected]

Ok... The swim meet is over and I didn't do too bad. This year, the coach kept the JV boys at the shorter distances. Maybe that's a good thing...

All individual events I was in had 7 swimmers, so my place is out of 7...

200 yd Medley - 1st place (I did 50 free; son in event different team)
200 yd free - 3rd place
100 yd IM - 4th place
50 yd free - 1st place (son in event)
50 yd fly - skip
100 yd free - 3rd place (son in event)
200 yd free relay - 1st place (I swam anchor)
50 yd back - 4th place (son in event)
50 breast - skip
400 free relay - skip (one relay member left early so not enough swimmers; son in event)

FYI: I beat my youngest son in each individual event. Just barely though... He did a great job :-)

I now have to focus back to the bicycle (100 mile ride) and still keep swimming up for next year's event (already planning)
wow great effort pal, some great results.

2014-03-07 1:38 PM
in reply to: RobR

User image

no Feb didn't go as planned I'm afraid. Picked up a calf injury (my nemesis) and made it worse trying to push through it........the Half Marathon in April is now at risk if I cant do the long runs.

My swim progress stagnated and I didnt achieve my goal of 400m non stop. However the sunday masters group is proving useful and I believe my technique is improving.

Its tough....still below freezing here day and night which is why I injured myself when I did run out there.....treadmill doesnt prepare you well for long distance outdoor running.

Oh well, reassess the goals and keep moving forward
Hi Rob, little set backs are there to try us, I should know! Just reflect back to where you started the year and the progress you have made, focus on the positives. You have say your swim technique is improving...that is the key to it all. Remember the 3Ps, Practice, Persistence, Patience.
2014-03-07 1:40 PM
in reply to: pvfd304

User image

Originally posted by pvfd304

I remember my first swim in a wetsuit which was in a pool, I felt like a torpedo, you'll notice a big difference!
2014-03-07 1:58 PM

User image

Joining the swim class is a great idea, having someone work with you will help hugely. Don't worry too much about different methods they are underpinned by pretty much the same techniques. The first thing I work on is body position, using a drill called push and glide, see link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNq-rCvyAs. I develop this by introducing a gentle flutter kick, you can use a kickboard too to help.

For my first season I bought a used wetsuit just to make sure I really wanted to do triathlon and then bought a more expensive one afterwards. One thing to consider is what you really want from the suit, sounds silly but you can get different ones. For example some suits are built to give extra buoyancy, good for beginners, others are thinner to give more speed. Get a good fit, comfort is essential.
2014-03-08 5:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Bought mine from Xterra on a Black Friday Sale for $100. Figured that it would be a good starter suit for the money. Sort of like buying a bike, several years ago, I wouldn't have known the difference between a $500 bike and a $2000 bike. Now I do.

The TYR rep will be at todays demo, hoping learn a few things today.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » New Year New You...reopened for late comers Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.