BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-12-28 3:18 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Open
Name: David

Story: Reforming couch potato.

Family: This is my biggest life focus for 2014. Wife, Emily, and a 2.5 year-old son, Tommy.

Training: Not much recently. I took about six weeks off, and I'm ready to get back at it.

2013: Locomotive HM, Publix Atlanta HM, Callaway Gardens Oly & IMFL

2014: Florida Keys Ragnar, Publix Atlanta HM & Callaway Gardens Oly. Looking at Augusta 70.3 or B2B plus some shorter course tri's for fun this year.

2013-12-28 8:31 AM
in reply to: TrooperBurke

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by TrooperBurke

My goal, or goals, are fairly simple. Enter the Tri Boulder in June, as my first triathlon. I'm a very good biker, and decent runner. Need to work more on the running, and the swimming, and string it all together. The Tri Boulder is in June, and is a sprint. So that gives me 6 months to ready for that. Then I'll go from there.

I hear that is a great race. You'll get there!
2013-12-28 2:12 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Veteran
clayton
Hi Scott - I loved to join your Mentor Group for 2014; I'll post the bio after the holidays.

thansk, Mark.
2013-12-28 2:27 PM
in reply to: markhodges1973

User image

, Florida
This is already helping me! Can any of you please point me in the direction of good videos for good arm form for swimming? One of you just mentioned using your lats more than shoulders when you swim and this is something I need to work on. I just started swimming this past summer and even though there's a team coach, she's not great at all with giving what I think are much needed tips to individuals. She keeps telling me I'm doing great, but I think my technique can definitely be improved. There are SO many videos on YouTube, so if you could narrow that down for me to a good one, I'd really appreciate it.

I also wanted to ask if my Garmin 910 can directly upload onto this site? Since I just got it a few months ago, I haven't got into ALL that it can do. My next goal is to also get our the heart rate monitor and figure that out. Definitely a newbie in so many areas!! Glad to have some veterans on board.

Brenda
2013-12-28 2:34 PM

User image

New user
Robbinsville
Another question from the Newbie.

Its a beautiful day up here in the Northeast ( for Dec. ), so I took the mountain bike out for a spin. I have an hour to get ready for a wedding. Looking for something to fuel the body and sustain me nutritionally until a late dinner. My normal routine, is a protein shake. I guess I have a little meat head in me. Does anybody have any suggestions? Supplements?

This morning I had a kale and fruit smoothie. ( almost every morning.) Thinking about adding creatine/NO2 to the mix for recovery.
Early lunch was a egg and bagel. ( trying to get some carbs in me. )
Had a Gatorade during my ride. I don't really like drinking Gatorade, but this week i need the electrolytes.
Hopefully i can get a piece of fish for dinner.
What can i use after workouts, and how many carbs should I be taking in after a work out? 4 to 1 carbs to protein sound about right?

As always, your infinite wisdom is appreciated!
2013-12-28 3:08 PM
in reply to: poolgod

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by poolgod

Another question from the Newbie.

Its a beautiful day up here in the Northeast ( for Dec. ), so I took the mountain bike out for a spin. I have an hour to get ready for a wedding. Looking for something to fuel the body and sustain me nutritionally until a late dinner. My normal routine, is a protein shake. I guess I have a little meat head in me. Does anybody have any suggestions? Supplements?

This morning I had a kale and fruit smoothie. ( almost every morning.) Thinking about adding creatine/NO2 to the mix for recovery.
Early lunch was a egg and bagel. ( trying to get some carbs in me. )
Had a Gatorade during my ride. I don't really like drinking Gatorade, but this week i need the electrolytes.
Hopefully i can get a piece of fish for dinner.
What can i use after workouts, and how many carbs should I be taking in after a work out? 4 to 1 carbs to protein sound about right?

As always, your infinite wisdom is appreciated!

Things to sustain you: Protein smoothie sounds good, just add in banana and PB. YUM. Orange juice in a vanilla protein shake is like and orange Julius. Fast, simply and yummy. I also like simple grab & go snacks like PB & a banana, or String Cheese & apple, boiled egg & orange. Other options post workout cottage cheese and cut up fruit, yogurt and fruit

4 to 1 post workout sounds right to me. I never pay attention to that as I usually workout before breakfast, so I just eat my normal breakfast after.

2013-12-28 3:27 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia

I think the specific numbers will be different for every person. BUT, I usually have greek yogurt, chocolate milk, a turkey sandwich, or a combination of the three after a good workout. It's also important to get that meal in within 30 minutes of your workout, or you are robbing your body of some much needed refueling.
2013-12-28 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
STORY:: Hi All. My name is Tom. I live in East Windsor NJ. I'm starting my 3rd year of triathlons. I'm NOT fast, just in it to finish it. I decided that when I turned 50 I finally wanted to (tri) this. I remember watching the Ironman back in the 80's. But I was never athletic due to a congenital heart defect (read open heart surgery). I had surgery back in 1967 and was told I could not do sports. I did start cycling after college and always enjoyed swimming. Running was a BAD word, LOL

So, Once I started to have more time, and discovered that there where shorter distances for triathlons; I figured I could do one. So I started running, more like walking in the beginning. Now it is more running with some walking.

I completed 4 tir's my first year, did one last year.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced, with one son who is 25.

CURRENT TRAINING: I started training for my first OLY about 4 weeks ago. I set up a 28 week training plan and have been doing ok.

Actually did a 5K race today (12-28) as part of my training. Came in last, 45 minutes, but I finished.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Repeated my first race, West Deptford, NJ, sprint tri and took 10 minutes off my previous year results. The rest of the year was just keeping up with training due to a new job.

2014 RACES: West Deptford Tri (4/27), NJ State Sprint Tri (July), NYC Tri (8/3) with some other 5K's and maybe an HM

WEIGHTLOSS: Initially lost 20 pounds, but have been around 200 for the last year. I like BEER.
2013-12-28 4:05 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Are you full up, or do you have room for a slacker alum mentee? If you'll take me, I'll put my bio up later.
2013-12-28 9:16 PM
in reply to: Brendab

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Brendab This is already helping me! Can any of you please point me in the direction of good videos for good arm form for swimming? One of you just mentioned using your lats more than shoulders when you swim and this is something I need to work on. I just started swimming this past summer and even though there's a team coach, she's not great at all with giving what I think are much needed tips to individuals. She keeps telling me I'm doing great, but I think my technique can definitely be improved. There are SO many videos on YouTube, so if you could narrow that down for me to a good one, I'd really appreciate it. I also wanted to ask if my Garmin 910 can directly upload onto this site? Since I just got it a few months ago, I haven't got into ALL that it can do. My next goal is to also get our the heart rate monitor and figure that out. Definitely a newbie in so many areas!! Glad to have some veterans on board. Brenda

I'll try and find some vids for you.  If you look for stuff on early vertical forearm you should find a lot of good stuff.  I really like the stuff from Sheila Taormina in Swim Speed Secrets.  She really focuses on pulling form and drills.

2013-12-28 9:23 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by poolgod Another question from the Newbie. Its a beautiful day up here in the Northeast ( for Dec. ), so I took the mountain bike out for a spin. I have an hour to get ready for a wedding. Looking for something to fuel the body and sustain me nutritionally until a late dinner. My normal routine, is a protein shake. I guess I have a little meat head in me. Does anybody have any suggestions? Supplements? This morning I had a kale and fruit smoothie. ( almost every morning.) Thinking about adding creatine/NO2 to the mix for recovery. Early lunch was a egg and bagel. ( trying to get some carbs in me. ) Had a Gatorade during my ride. I don't really like drinking Gatorade, but this week i need the electrolytes. Hopefully i can get a piece of fish for dinner. What can i use after workouts, and how many carbs should I be taking in after a work out? 4 to 1 carbs to protein sound about right? As always, your infinite wisdom is appreciated!

There are a few different approaches you can take.  I too tend to work out at 4 to 5 AM on the whole so breakfast foods fall in my wheelhouse post workout.  I'll throw 3/4-1 cup of oats in a bowl with a scoop of whey protein then add enough milk to bring it together into a paste and eat.

I've also spoke to dieticians at the Core Diet and they advocate taking in a recovery supplement like Endurox or Ultragen immediately post workout.  Then you have as long as your workout was after that to get in a balanced meal.  So if you had a 90 minute run you have 90 minutes after drinking the recovery drink to get some solid food in you.  

I like to give athletes as many proven methods as possible and let them play around in a trial and error method to see what works best.

2013-12-28 9:25 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Mark and Kristen you're both in.  

2013-12-28 9:54 PM

Hi! I would like to join if room is still available!

I'm Brandi Hale, 31 year old physical therapist in NYC and I have had a few patients who competed in triathlons and they sparked my interest.

I am completely new to triathlons and have joined SITEC (Staten Island Triathlon and Endurance Club..a brand new training club) so will hopefully be training with that group over the next few months.

I have been a runner my whole life and was a competitive swimmer up until college. Cycling is the part I do not have any experience with but have purchased my first bike (a Trek). I currently do strength and conditioning workouts with Monkey Bar Gym 4x/week with a few short runs during week and longer trail or road run on Sundays (though I've slacked on the runs since my race in October). Pool access is somewhat of an issue but the group is working on pool time and will turn to open water swims at start of summer or once weather allows.

I'm a Baltimore native so I do races back home...
2011,2012: Baltimore Half Marathon
2013: Charm City 10k (48 mins), Charles Street 12 miler (1:36), Baltimore Half Marathon (1:49), Tri-State Super Spartan
2014: NYC Triathlon (racing as part of Team ASPCA), Staten Island sprint
**planning on doing a sprint sometime in June or July before the NYC Tri

Will most likely have lots of questions in regards to cycling...necessary gear needed for the bike, transitioning etc..!

2013-12-29 7:01 AM
in reply to: brandi1182

User image

Pro
CyFair

Brandi is the last one in and we're closed

2013-12-29 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am actually in Mercer County. Right on the boarder of Monmouth County. I think the Monmouth County YMCA is in Freehold, NJ. ( About a 25 minute drive & where my wife's family lives) And that is where my boss, who is racing with me swims. This charity team that has been put together for Princeton 70.3 has a group of guys that train with Jersey Shore. My fear is that I cannot keep up with that level of swimmer. But, I will look into it thanks! I was on their website last night and did not see that. I will check their Facebook page tonight. Thanks for the heads up!

Are you racing with Stomp the Monster? I raced with them 3 years ago. Great team. I wish I were closer to Monmouth to do more things with the Jersey Shore tri club - they are so active!
2013-12-29 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

There are a few different approaches you can take.  I too tend to work out at 4 to 5 AM on the whole so breakfast foods fall in my wheelhouse post workout.  I'll throw 3/4-1 cup of oats in a bowl with a scoop of whey protein then add enough milk to bring it together into a paste and eat.

I've also spoke to dieticians at the Core Diet and they advocate taking in a recovery supplement like Endurox or Ultragen immediately post workout.  Then you have as long as your workout was after that to get in a balanced meal.  So if you had a 90 minute run you have 90 minutes after drinking the recovery drink to get some solid food in you.  

I like to give athletes as many proven methods as possible and let them play around in a trial and error method to see what works best.

Scott - have you tasted either Endurox or Ultragen? If so, any opinion on taste? It looks like they are both milk based (or at least have milk as ingredients). Would any casien or whey supplement work? Are there any non milk based ones that you recommend for the lactose intolerant? I've never used a recovery supplement.

2013-12-29 8:01 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

, Florida
Thanks for the "early vertical forearm" tip Scott! I just checked out a bunch of videos and can't wait to get in the pool to try out the techniques. It was so helpful to have you tell me exactly what to look for as opposed to just "technique". Much appreciated.

I wanted to get my goals out there too. I'll definitely do a few sprints & olympics (Captiva Tri Sprint for sure) but am really tossing the HIM or IM out there. Reading that I don't necessarily need to do an HIM before an IM helps due to training time constraints. I've been looking into IM, but the problem is they fill up so quickly. I heard that only way I can get into Panama City, FL IM is to volunteer one year and then I'll be able to get in the next year. Being 51, I'd like to get to the line-up sooner than later. I've read the IM versus full-length distance in other forums, so I'm not sure if I should make it an IM sanctioned event. There's a lot to figure out your first time through for sure.

Cheers, Brenda
2013-12-29 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by DDVMM

Scott - have you tasted either Endurox or Ultragen? If so, any opinion on taste? It looks like they are both milk based (or at least have milk as ingredients). Would any casien or whey supplement work? Are there any non milk based ones that you recommend for the lactose intolerant? I've never used a recovery supplement.

I'll try and find some lactose free ones.  Most have whey or casein (both milk based).  I haven't tried Ultragen, but the Endurox lemon lime flavor is pretty comparable to a decent lemonade

2013-12-29 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Brendab Thanks for the "early vertical forearm" tip Scott! I just checked out a bunch of videos and can't wait to get in the pool to try out the techniques. It was so helpful to have you tell me exactly what to look for as opposed to just "technique". Much appreciated. I wanted to get my goals out there too. I'll definitely do a few sprints & olympics (Captiva Tri Sprint for sure) but am really tossing the HIM or IM out there. Reading that I don't necessarily need to do an HIM before an IM helps due to training time constraints. I've been looking into IM, but the problem is they fill up so quickly. I heard that only way I can get into Panama City, FL IM is to volunteer one year and then I'll be able to get in the next year. Being 51, I'd like to get to the line-up sooner than later. I've read the IM versus full-length distance in other forums, so I'm not sure if I should make it an IM sanctioned event. There's a lot to figure out your first time through for sure. Cheers, Brenda

No problem.  One of the other tips in swimming specifically for tris is to limit the amount of glide you have on the front end of your stroke.  This is really important in pool swimming, but in tris it's the first thing to go in an OWS.  Most of the time you'll run into other people's feet if you're not out in the clear.  If you look at the strokes of the top ITU folks you'll see short, choppy strokes where they go pretty deep right off the bat and have really high turnover rates.

As far as IMs.  For your first full I'd recommend a IM branded event.  I am by no means a fan of the IM brand in general, but the experience is really second to none (we'll see how Challenge does this year in the States).  You can get into Ironman Florida if you're quick on the trigger as soon as it opens. 

2013-12-29 8:28 AM

User image

Champion

Mark and Kristen you're both in.  

Thanks for letting me back in!!! Here's my bio:

NAME: Enders_Shadow, a/k/a Kristen

STORY: I'm a busy working wife and mom. I started triathlons (and joined BT) back in 2007 and had a couple of good years. Then I got hurt, got depressed, and got fat...pretty much did nothing for a year. Starting at the end of 2011, I started running again. Ran through 2012 until October 2012, when I finally got back into triathlons. I started 2013 with the hare-brained idea that I would do a HIM - successfully completed in September 2013! I was in Scott & Kelly's mentor group leading up to my HIM, but I wasn't a very good mentee. Now I'm starting 2014...actually ending 2013...with the even crazier-bat-winged idea that I will do an IM in 2014. IM-Louisville, here I come!

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (aged almost 9 and 11). One kidlet is a travel soccer player, the other is on a youth tri team. No, I have no spare time (except to play on BT)! (I also have a stupid dog...)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently in maintenance mode between my last 1/2 Mary of 2013 (in November) and the beginning of my training plan on January 12. I'll be doing BT's 20-week HIM plan, followed by the 12-week Bridge to IM. My big races for 2014 include a marathon in March, Raleigh 70.3 in June, Muncie 70.3 in July, and IM-Louisville in August. My full race schedule is in my training log...and is ever growing at this point. Yikes!

2014 RACES: See CURRENT TRAINING section above..

WEIGHTLOSS: I started 2013 at just under 190 pounds and started eating clean. And magic - the weight started coming off again. I've been hanging between 150 and 160 for the last 6 months or so. I'd hoped to be below 150 to start 2014, but that isn't going to happen. My weight loss goals for 2014 are to get back on track eating clean...the holiday season has been a real beast for me!...and get to a fighting weight of 140-145 for my IM. Don't want to be dragging too much junk in my trunk up the hills in Raleigh or Louisville!

I'm looking forward to all the great advice I know will be shared.
2013-12-29 8:35 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Champion
Originally posted by kaburns1214

Good morning everyone!

Great, diverse group here. First question for everyone as we are approaching the new year is what are your resolutions / goals for 2014?

1. Finish my marathon in March - ideally sub 5:30. Based on my current training, I'm well on pace for that.
2. Finish one of my 70.3 races in sub 7:00. My first HIM at the end of last season was 7:23. I'm so much better prepared now.
3. Finish my first IM. OMG. It still makes me nervous to say it.

2013-12-29 8:40 AM

User image

Champion

ETA:  6-8 weeks is probably an ideal time before.  Misread original post, sorry.

Good - I'm happy to hear this...one of my Masters coaches was saying 3 or so months at the closest. And I am doing Raleigh 70.3 on 6/1 (12 weeks). But then I'm also doing Muncie 70.3 on 7/12. And then IM Lou on 8/24. I was worried 6 weeks was too close, but hubby changed his entire race schedule so I could do IMLou...and he wanted to race Muncie together.
2013-12-29 9:21 AM

User image

New user
Robbinsville
Yeah, I will be racing with Stomp the Monster. I have done some things with them in the past, fundraising and a 5k. Their founder, Seth, is very close with the owner of my company. So we have supported the cause since its inception. With the Princeton race being in my backyard, and knowing the cause, I had to jump in and go along for the ride. They have some really cool perks as the official charity, and I think it will be an amazing experience anyway it shakes out.

I reached out to Howard, at Jersey Shore Tri Club. He seems like a great guy. He told me the first thing I should do for my training is to join the club. So I have. They do swim in Freehold 3X a week at the YMCA, along with a bunch of the guys on the STM team. So I will be heading over their a couple times a week to swim. Thank you for the info, it has worked out well for me so far.
2013-12-29 10:49 AM

User image

New user
Robbinsville
Brendab,

I am the last person you should take swimming advice from. However as a new swimmer I can tell you I found great stuff from the swim smooth team. They have great stuff online. I was the one talking about pulling from my lats earlier. I am a visual learner and I have found a tremendous benefit from watching some of the YouTube videos of Gene Hackett. There are a bunch of underwater videos of him swimming the 1500 m in 2000 and 2004 where he won gold in the Olympics. He keeps and incredibly high elbow position, almost exgragrated. After reading all of the technique stuff online, these videos tied it together for me. I hope this helps, even a little.
2013-12-29 2:46 PM

Subject: RE: Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed
Scott and Kelly,

Thanks for fitting me in! My biggest question right now is what to do about pedals on my bike...like I said I have virtually no experience with cycling and the bike I have is a hybrid. What type of pedals do you recommend I start out with for training and my first triathlons (first will be a sprint, second will be Olympic ). I've read so many different recommendations from just using my running shoes with the cages or with platform pedals to going right into clip-less the latter seeming a bit aggressive ???

Thanks! Brandi
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24215 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 98737 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16015 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29403 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 1, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Sport and religion both celebrate group values and offer excitement. Sport and religion are grounded in disciplined practice, a devotion to a cause, and a belief in the unseen. And both require faith.

date : April 18, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Balancing the triathlete you are with your vision for the triathlete you could be.
date : November 15, 2010
author : marmadaddy
Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.