General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-04-03 7:52 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Another 31 minute run this morning. Calves tight, but ice/ibu/massage working. Ended up going 2.1 miles. Group ride tonight, but the weather is supposed to be nasty this evening.

Rick

2014-04-03 7:54 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I have been not working on any tri related workouts for at least two if not three years because of my job change.  I finally put my cadence sensor on my bike that is on my trainer in my music room.  I found out how much LESS spinning I was doing because of my family "trail rides" compared to my training rides that I used to do on my own.  But, it went from only one person in my family riding bikes, to everyone in my family riding bikes and their husbands and their families, so the trail rides are good things also.

But, what I thought was a decent cadence was about a 75 and I used to be a 90 average cadence with my comfort zone of 85-105 when doing my workout rides.  And then I was that way on the family rides, and just geared so I was going a lot slower but still keeping a good cadence.  Then I quit paying attention.  I really paid attention last night, and wow am I way off base again and have a lot of work ahead of me to get back to my 90 average cadence.

2014-04-03 8:08 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
So new plan starts off much easier then where I am at currently, trying to make adjustments on the fly but feel like I'm getting to far off track. I have a specific swim workout I have substituted from my swim coach but the run and the bike are WAY to beginner. I'll keep on and hopefully they will catch up with my level, but for now its a very relaxing workout.
2014-04-03 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4973110

User image

Diablo
If this is a 12 or 16 week plan to build to a race - I would ramp them up on your own. I felt the 12 week plan posted for free here started off WAY too easy and don't feel it would put you in a good position at the end.
Not so much that you get hurt, but go to your ability and then your ability and the training plan will catch up to you at some point.
2014-04-03 2:19 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Thanks Clark that was my thought as well, just need to figure what the proper amount should be per workout.
2014-04-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4975945

User image

I did 2-2-3 run bike swim weekly with intervals and bricks and two a days sprinkled into my workouts ... I felt I needed one moe swim per week

2014-04-04 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

I did another trainer work out to work on getting my cadence up to the 90 range.  It is getting better, but not great.  Nothing for the weekend as I will be sitting in a car driving most of the weekend, then going to a wedding, and then driving back home the next day for 10 or more hours.

2014-04-04 7:58 PM

User image

Easy half hour bike today. 8.5 miles - then stretched the calves out and ran for 5.

Tomorrow a fairly long run for me- at least 3 miles.
2014-04-05 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4976343

User image

40 min run easy start - pushed it at the end
2014-04-05 4:10 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Easing back in after some recovery this week. Ramping back up on my run. I've been battling pain in my right foot. I'm not sure if it's shoes or not... Went to Roadrunner today and got new insoles. Mine were beat! Had to order my shoes and have them shipped.

Ran 3.55 miles in 36 minutes today. Foot is sore, but feels somewhat better after ice and ibu.

Feels like we finally have spring here in NJ. Yayyyyyy!
2014-04-05 9:23 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Lots of things been going on here! And lots of injuries! I hope you all heal fast.

I flaked all week...I think I am a bit (more than a bit) intimidated about my tri NEXT Sunday. I know intellectually I paid my money like everyone else, but in my heart I still like the "fat kid" who shouldn't be there (and now I am 49 on top of that). But I am going to go through with this because it has been my goal for a long, long time. I bailed last year and giving up like that is worse than thought of coming in last.

So - game plan. I am going to host my own personal triathlon tomorrow morning to boost my confidence. Going to travel out to a local lake and swim, bike, and run. And I WILL pour this body into all that spandex and publicly compete next Sunday. And I WILL have fun...well at least I will be able to say I showed up which is more than I did last year! My focus is on finishing, not comparing.

I know all you "veterans" think I am probably being silly but the unknown is so stressful!

ANY RACE TIPS WELCOME AND WANTED!!!

Donna

2014-04-06 7:09 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Granted, I'm not a veteran, but I'm definitely feeling your pain (and I'm still 6 weeks out)! My issue is with the swim. I couldn't put together more than 75 yards at a stretch Friday. I'm not sure what's going on, but I just can't seem to keep my wind while swimming. I'm just terrified of not finishing...
2014-04-06 8:01 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by luvschips

Lots of things been going on here! And lots of injuries! I hope you all heal fast.

I flaked all week...I think I am a bit (more than a bit) intimidated about my tri NEXT Sunday. I know intellectually I paid my money like everyone else, but in my heart I still like the "fat kid" who shouldn't be there (and now I am 49 on top of that). But I am going to go through with this because it has been my goal for a long, long time. I bailed last year and giving up like that is worse than thought of coming in last.

So - game plan. I am going to host my own personal triathlon tomorrow morning to boost my confidence. Going to travel out to a local lake and swim, bike, and run. And I WILL pour this body into all that spandex and publicly compete next Sunday. And I WILL have fun...well at least I will be able to say I showed up which is more than I did last year! My focus is on finishing, not comparing.

I know all you "veterans" think I am probably being silly but the unknown is so stressful!

ANY RACE TIPS WELCOME AND WANTED!!!

Donna

Donna,

You can do this! Pre-race jitters are common for all of us. They manifest with different things for everyone, but be confident! I do not race to compete, I race to complete. Have fun out there. Once you show up, you'll realize that you're among the most supportive group of athletes you will ever find.

My race tip can be summed up with Be Prepared. Make a list of what you need on race day (BT has one you can modify). Start a few days out and gather all your equipment. Arrive early and set up transition. Walk the ins and outs (swim in, run out, run in, bike out). Relax and smile! Ask for help if you need it. Have fun.
2014-04-06 8:06 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Granted, I'm not a veteran, but I'm definitely feeling your pain (and I'm still 6 weeks out)! My issue is with the swim. I couldn't put together more than 75 yards at a stretch Friday. I'm not sure what's going on, but I just can't seem to keep my wind while swimming. I'm just terrified of not finishing...

Web - without watching you swim it may be hard to give advice, but one thing I found is that if I kick too hard or too much I get winded. The leg muscles are the biggest in the body and as you work then they chew up the O2 in your body. Slow your kick, kick easy and kick from the hips and not the knees. The idea is to use your kick for body position and let it propel you so you glide through the water instead of kicking through it. If you've ever watched a swim meet, the sprinters are churning up the water like a pack of piranna, the long distance swimmers are gliding.
2014-04-06 8:09 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by flip18436572

I did another trainer work out to work on getting my cadence up to the 90 range.  It is getting better, but not great.  Nothing for the weekend as I will be sitting in a car driving most of the weekend, then going to a wedding, and then driving back home the next day for 10 or more hours.

I think sitting in the car for 10 hrs is harder than any workout, lol

Good job on the cadence. I work cadence intervals into my workouts. Some of my workouts will do sets at 90, then 100, then 110, then as fast as you can maintain. I feel like my legs will fly off above 110. I've found that doing high intervals and then recovery intervals (70-80), I've been able to increase my "normal" cadence. I'm still more comfortable in80-85 than I am at 90.
2014-04-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4977039

User image

WFF - keep at it it will click - and I agree with the over kick - have one of the lifeguards watch you and give you a few tips.

Donna - I was there with you yesterday - and yeah u was the fat kid too!
Fortunately today I totally feel the opposite!
I had a GREAT workout this AM:

• For me
    I did 12.5 miles on the bike
    Went right into the run after a quick calf stretch.
    Planned to run 5 min
    Felt so good I did 25 min 2.55 miles!
    One hour ten min total

2014-04-06 12:52 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

BTW first part of my earlier post was to Donna... definitely pre-race jitters

------------------------------------------------------

As far as the swim, I've been told I've got okay mechanics... my issue is mental . I have problems just relaxing in the water... call it a fear of drowning if you will... I do ... Where my biggest issue lies is my breathing. I have to actually force myself to exhale underwater so when I forget/panic and hold my breath... well... you see where this is going. What happens is that I get out of rhythm, and end up choking. Really, It's something that is only going to be cured by time and practice. My Freestyle is pretty strong (when I can stay is rhythm), I've got a strong side stroke, and worst case I've got a pretty decent "frog" stroke that works... just need to keep moving forward when I breathe...

Like it was stated above me... I'm doing this to finish.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-04-06 12:53 PM
    2014-04-06 2:54 PM

User image

First of all - I can't express to you all how much you have all helped and inspired me these past weeks. THANK YOU! Exactly one week to my tri!

Clarky - I feel better today too! And big pat one the back for your workout!

Webfoot - A friend of mine suggested the dvd's "total immersion" and they really helped me out.

I did a 25 minute lake swim today in the wetsuit (2nd time). ALL my mechancis (what little I have) went right out the door. It's really hard swimming in a lake! I have even more respect for you guys!!! But I tell you what I did. I purchased a year pass to the lake and plan on swimming once a week so I can get comfortable in the water. I really related to Webfoot about "fighting" the water. I am ok in the pool but the lake is scary and murky and I can't keep in a line at all...

Followed up with a 12 mile bike but no run for me. Too unmotivated after my floundering swim. Oh, and i think I pulled a muscle trying to get the wetsuit off! LOL! This tri stuff is something else...

Have a super sunday and I look forward to hearing about everyone's day/week.

Donna
    2014-04-06 6:47 PM
    in reply to: #4916495

User image

I had to post this right away...

I just ran my first brick.

Rode 7.8mi (could have sworn it'd be closer to 9), then ran my C25K intervals for 2.1mi. I now understand why it's called a "brick"... WOW!

Just out of curiosity... since I did all this in the pouring rain, can I call myself a triathlete? ROFL!!! KIDDING!!!
    2014-04-07 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by luvschips First of all - I can't express to you all how much you have all helped and inspired me these past weeks. THANK YOU! Exactly one week to my tri! Clarky - I feel better today too! And big pat one the back for your workout! Webfoot - A friend of mine suggested the dvd's "total immersion" and they really helped me out. I did a 25 minute lake swim today in the wetsuit (2nd time). ALL my mechancis (what little I have) went right out the door. It's really hard swimming in a lake! I have even more respect for you guys!!! But I tell you what I did. I purchased a year pass to the lake and plan on swimming once a week so I can get comfortable in the water. I really related to Webfoot about "fighting" the water. I am ok in the pool but the lake is scary and murky and I can't keep in a line at all... Followed up with a 12 mile bike but no run for me. Too unmotivated after my floundering swim. Oh, and i think I pulled a muscle trying to get the wetsuit off! LOL! This tri stuff is something else... Have a super sunday and I look forward to hearing about everyone's day/week. Donna

You are doing the best thing you can: getting in that damn suit, learning to swim in it, doing bricks and JUST DOING IT.

I backed out of a couple of races because I was the hippo and everyone else greyhounds and arab horses. I kick myself more for those back outs than being large. Now I have a purple streak in my hair so when I pull it up the purple shines. Gives folks something to look at since I am usually one of the last ones racing.

You are going to be fine.

2014-04-07 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak I had to post this right away... I just ran my first brick. Rode 7.8mi (could have sworn it'd be closer to 9), then ran my C25K intervals for 2.1mi. I now understand why it's called a "brick"... WOW! Just out of curiosity... since I did all this in the pouring rain, can I call myself a triathlete? ROFL!!! KIDDING!!!

Nice! Getting used to the feeling of trying to run after the bike is something I am very glad I did before my tri. Yep, BRICK = YUCK (but good yuck). You are a better athlete than I am. I rarely, if ever, ride in the rain. Good for you.

2014-04-07 8:18 AM
    in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh
    You are a better athlete than I am. I rarely, if ever, ride in the rain. Good for you.

Not really... I missed my morning ride to be at work early so I could escape early and make my son's bowling tournament (he didn't do bad at all), so the brick was kind of a spur of the moment thing... I almost didn't go out in the rain, and in fact I did cut the bike short, but I'm too close to my sprint to miss many...

That being said.. I missed my swim this morning . Conscious decision. The only Y that is close enough for me to make it to work since the pool at my Y is closed for a bit is NAS-TAY... we killed a couple of roaches lounging by the pool last Monday. I'll hit up a further out location again on Friday, and hopefully the pool will be open soon.
    2014-04-07 8:57 AM

User image

Master
    Southwest Iowa

Trying to get back to being able to run, so after 24+ hours in the car over the weekend driving to a wedding, and then driving back home.  I did a 2 mile run/walk last night when we got home.  Did a 1 mile run/walk this morning and hoping to do 20 mile trainer ride tonight on the bike.  Gotta be home for someone to pickup the art piece I made for them a few weeks ago, otherwise I might actually be on the road.

2014-04-07 5:53 PM

User image

2.5 mile run today 25 min - just to stretch things out.
    2014-04-08 8:12 AM

User image

Master
    Southwest Iowa

Nothing last night.  12 hour work day.  Treadmill work this morning and then back to work.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
    Views: 27177 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 98485 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 15888 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 29171 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 26, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 19, 2004
    author : Michael
    I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
    author : Ron
    What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?