BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-04-23 6:14 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me)
Well, it snowed on and off all day yesterday, good thing I mowed the lawn on Saturday. Today's run felt really good, probably because I have had a double recovery week with the eye thing. Here are my mile times in high Z2 low Z3: 8:12, 7:55, 7:44, 7:44, 7:45, 7:37, 7:46, 7:41, 7:32, 7:36, 7:35

I will be out of town Fri-Sunday but am psyched that I will be able to swim this weekend... once I get home and not have to obsess about keeping sweat out of my eyes.

I hope we hear from lLinda soon,. I hope she is just getting some clam chowder and enjoying the city with some well earned time off.

2014-04-24 6:22 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me)
Hi Steve and all our MG! I am heading back to work now and just wanted to pop in and say how awesome it was to race in Boston and I am feeling good today! Quads got a little hammered from the hills but WOW the race certainly made POSITIVE history! Boston will not let anything darken it! I appreciated your cheers that I read in my emails. Thanks so much!! I will be able to write more this weekend, after work. Enjoy your day everyone!
2014-04-24 4:40 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Linda, how great to be part of that positive history! Glad you are back and feeling good (as good as one can feel after pounding the pavement for 26.2 that is).

Steve, speed is looking really good! How are your eyes?

Taking tomorrow off work completely (I hope), and heading over north of Dallas to ride with a friend and then visit my former neighbor. Even though I haven't done any races in a while, I still like the places that the tri sports take me, and the people that I've met in the process.
2014-04-26 3:45 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
and I've enjoyed your always positive outlook and support.
2014-04-26 10:30 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hi there from the rainy & cold (45F) northeast. On such a day, what better thing to do than a 2.5 hr trainer ride! Felt good, and I'm just dripping sweat, even 10 min after I finished. For fun I watched a cool You Tube video of a guy telling his first 140.6 story (Rev3 Cedar point). Then watched the 1995 Ironman Kona show, and Pauly Newby-Frasier collapsing 400 yards from the finish. What a sight. this is a sport?!?!

Hope everyone else gets out there and enjoys whatever the day may bring. Off to the local REI to get he wife a new swim watch, and maybe a new running shirt of tri shorts for me. a few gift cards were found in a drawer yesterday, so why not go use 'em?
2014-04-26 2:14 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Master
Maryland
Way to go on your trainer ride! You amaze me with how long you can do that. I guess watching those types of videos can be inspiring.

2014-04-26 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
So when I was in Boston Easter Sunday, I wanted to do a 10 minute run. I went into our hotel lobby and saw a group of about 20 runners and Bart Yasso. I asked a man if they'd done their "shakeout" run yet and he said they were heading out now. So, I asked Bart for a picture, then we all headed out for our run. I was giddy with excitement! I stayed at Bart's left shoulder the whole time. We ran down to the Charles River, did an easy 3 miles and I talked to him and picked his brain some. Such a nice person. We passed some Kenyan men doing their run. It was amazing to run with him!
Then I went to a moving church service for the marathon runners. The priest talked about last year's race, the lockdown, and the renewing that would take place the following day.

I also went to the "Legends Seminar" lead by Runner's World and Bart Yasso. The speakers were Katherine Switzer, Dave McGivalry, Billy Rodgers, Amby Burfoot, &Greg Meyer. They were all inspiring speakers but the race director Dave McGivalry was the best.

My wave started at 11 and boy did it get hot. I have never run an afternoon marathon all exposed in the sun and 65 degrees. A lot of people had dehydration. At 36,000 runners, it was very crowded during the marathon but it was the most exciting, festive, and exhausting thing I have ever done. I must have "high-fived" 100 people along the way. Everyone was so happy, kind, encouraging. WOW. I was humbled to be a part of something so good.

I wanted to run fairly easy pace to at least mile 20 and then see how I felt. I tried to really speed up after that and then my foot would cramp up and I'd have to slow down some. At mile 25 I heard my husband. I don't know how I did because the crowds were 8-10 deep in all the small towns and they were so loud. But in Boston the crowds were even bigger. It was great to see him there. Running down Boylston St. was very emotional. Running by the Forum where little Martin and the others were harmed was just ...hard. But everyone felt that GOOD had triumphed.

I crossed the finish line, cried for happiness and walked another mile to get all the post race stuff. Security made the runners walk several miles before and after the race but no one really minded because we all understood. I had another mile walk back to my hotel by myself and so many people said great job, congratulations, more high fives, Amazing! It was our anniversary too that day, so it was the best experience of my life.
2014-04-26 5:02 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
I forgot to say I met the Hoyts at breakfast after my run with Bart Yasso. I told Mr. Hoyt how much of an inspiration he is and we joked about the fact that there were no Chocolate Easter eggs at breakfast. ; )
2014-04-26 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Linda - so glad to hear about your day, and happy you were able to experience this particularly special day in Boston. there was definitely a positive, happy vide going on all day in the city, and its great to know you felt it!

The long trainer rides are done out of training necessity.

Speaking of which, anyone have a recommendation for skin lube other than Body Glide? Its just not working as well for me as it once did.
2014-04-27 2:26 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pearland,Tx
Congrats Linda!!!

We are all proud of you!!!

Thats an epic race after last year!!!

on the side had a BRUTAL! race this weekend report to follow
2014-04-27 3:12 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Linda - Great stuff! You really caught the spirit and have a very memorable experience. Finding your husband in the crowd was quite a kicker. Great story's, great race, awesome!

Mike D - Awesome ride! I understand 45 with the Boston wind can be a bit unbearable. Better luck next week.

Jay - Thanks for the encouragement. I needed it this week.

Carol - Have fun on your getaway. As I read Linda accounts I was thinking about some of my run friends and how supportive they are. The few people I know who tri, you guys included, are very supportive as well just maybe fewer in number.

Carl, Mitzi, Keep pluggin away...

This was an interesting week as I felt good but could not get anything going on the run. On Wed I even completely bailed at 2.85 mi of a 4 mile out and back. This out and back I completed although a bit slow on tuesday. There was a 5K race on the schedule for saturday which some coworkers were supposed to attend. So Thurs I took it easy and swam for about an hour and Friday left as a recovery day. This was really messing with my head because it seems too early to feel so cooked. Managed to keep it real since it is only week 2. Saturday was a success as the race is a hilly 5K which I finished in 33:52 two years ago. This year I finished in 30:10:50 15th in the AG and 127 overall (previously 222). Very nice improvement. The race is about 22 miles from home so sometime Wed-Thurs the idea came to bike it home. The weather turnout great to do just that. With some added hill avoidance maneuvers it turning into 25.6 mi and felt. great. See what adventures this week brings. Happy Training all!

2014-04-27 7:00 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow Mentorees

Here is my Train Wreck of a Report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Please feel free to be blunt and frank.

Thanks

Carl
2014-04-28 3:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
You know Carl, its very easy to beat yourself up after a bad race. With the way things are going with me right now....I could be following your footsteps come September. Having said that, I've said this many times before....there are only a select number of people who complete marathons, IM's, HIM's, etc and you did that today. That is something to hang your hat on. I'm sure you've told or will tell coworkers that you just did a HIM and I'm sure most will think you're crazy or tell you you're crazy. I see a race report like this and I tip my cap to you because of your mental toughness to finish an event that is quite frankly kicking your . Its easy to say hey, its not my day, I'm not trained well enough to do this, and DNF...but you didn't. So kudos on that.

It also makes me appreciate the consistent training that people do. Guys like Steve make it look easy to get in consistent training but the truth is its NOT that easy....he's just very dedicated to the process.....and is the rare individual who trains like that and maintains a life balance. I guess that's why he's our mentor

I also think you already took away some valuable lessons going forward. You mentioned researching the course, doing more training, etc....all things that will benefit you in future races. Take a few weeks to recover Carl.....try to appreciate that even with a race that wasn't up to your expectations....you are still in an elite class of people who have even finished an endurance event like a HIM.
2014-04-28 6:04 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Carl

First of all, congratulations on toughing out what seemed like a truly difficult day on the racecourse. The end of the bike in particular seems to be a brutal stretch of time. But you fought through it, didn't quit, and knowing you had a half marathon to do, strapped on your number and went after it. That takes a special kind of dedication and toughness. Well done.

Take from this the lessons Jay mentions above, and make the next one better.

Congrats on being tough, and crossing the line.

MD
2014-04-28 7:54 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

Blairstown, NJ
Carl - Crongrats on a big finish! It is totally awesome that you could complete that race. Jay said it where people call you crazy for even attempting what you did. Enjoy some recovery and remember when you are ready to start training for IM, we will be here to support you.

On the note of being called crazy, I ran into a couple friends at the race Saturday. When I told them that I was biking home some 22 miles, they called me crazy. They are big runners and just finished the NYC marathon so that confused me a bit. They are supportive but this comment I had to let go. We all approach life as a journey and some live it passively. We chose to live more actively, putting in time each week to be strong physically. Each accomplishment whether it be finishing a 5k, or PR a sprint Tri, are successes which we look to build upon. Steve is definitly a little further on the journey than many of us and it is great he shares that experience with us. We may not all be cut out for Lk Tahoe. This group is great however for the support it gives in continuing to strive for that next goal.
2014-04-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Bit of a happy Dad moment on Saturday -- my 11 year old daughter received her USAT annual member card in the mail. Since she is doing a couple races this year, it was cheaper to sign up for the year than pay race-by-race.

Also found out she has an essay due for school about her favorite achievement -- and hers is about completing her first triathlon.

2014-04-28 6:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Jay,Joe and MikeD

Thanks for the feedback guys, it really helps to have a mentor group it helped me out there. I appreciate the support. Looking back could have been worst if Steve did not tell me out right if im not ready-> downgrade from Full to Half. Good Luck to you Jay and MikeD at Pumpkinman im sure both of you will Rock IT.

and MikeD thats priceless with your daughter.

Thanks Again Guys

Cheers

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-28 6:57 PM
2014-04-28 11:31 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I actually don't use any lubricant under my biking shorts. I find that it just ends up causing my shorts to not move right and just causes more problems than it fixes.

Very nice improvement on that 5k.

Carl, I know the race sucked, but you got it done. I did have flashbacks to IMLT while reading your RR but it is all good. I remember thinking at mile 56 that I was probably not going to handle another round of the 10 x 12% grade hills again, but I figured I would go as long as I could. Then the run ya ended up being more walk than run starting at mile 3 when run is always my strong sport. Some courses can just kick your butt. Anyway we are all proud of your perseverance in getting it done. I can't tell if you were just cooked or if you were at risk of injuring your legs due to a pull on the transition from bike to run, but if there was no health risk.... you did it. It sounds like you definitely know what you need to do for next time and you will likely drop an hour off your time.

Well put Jay, and thanks.

Joe, you made me laugh. Ya I wouldn't wish IMLT on anyone I like. The swim was epically beautiful, but those bike hills oh m gosh and brrrr. I will never forget wondering if the snow would be melted by the time I was on the bike and seeing frost on the bike seats in t1 and wondering.... what have I done? I have worked out almost every week for the past 7 years with the exception of 3-4 weeks after an IM or an injury related break. So it is important to not compare how you do in a race to someone who has more training and experience. We can all learn from Carl that not all races are created equal and if not in risk of injury or health problem, you can get through the longer races just by sure force of will and continuing to put one foot in front of the other. Being really well trained for a HIM or IM is a completely different experience than going in on the under trained or somewhat injured side of things. But even a dead last finish is much better than a really comfortable couch.

I am looking forward to 105 miles on the trainer this weekend.... kind of, ok so not really. At least I am allowed to sweat now.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-04-29 12:51 AM
2014-04-29 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Oh, man...105 miles on the trainer? You should get some special reward for that. I'm doing 3 hours this weekend, and I"m thinking it will be brutal.

Stomach bug rampaging through my house. I've had a touch of it Sun/Mon, and its not good at all. Kids down for the count today. Wife scared
2014-04-29 8:52 AM

User image

New user
A little late on everything, but I just read the last posts and wanted to say:

Linda : Wow congrats! Your dedication and consistency in training inspire me, and what a lovely report, sounds like you had fun! And lucky you, meeting the Hoyts...

Carl : read your race report and I applaud your tenacity. The "bad" races (they are not "bad", they just don't turn out as we expected!) make the most interesting and inspiring stories afterwards. And basically everything Jay said. Spot on.

Joe : yeah, it's bizarre such a comment coming from distance runners. I guess they just don't like to bike so they cannot see themselves doing that kind of commute.

Mike : as parents our actions count much more than our words. You certainly taught your daughter something great by doing what you love and taking care of your health. I'd love to know what she does to prepare for her races. Keep us posted!

Steve : 105 miles. 'nuff said

Everyone else, hope your training is good!
Monthly totals are approaching
2014-04-29 10:07 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Steve

Thanks for the feedback and support. Your survival tips helped me out there and the recovery tips are helping me now next HIM is in 6 months I'm studying the course well

@Isabelle

Thanks for the wishes. I may be alone out there but I think about my family and fellow trainees/mentorees honestly my friends don't know I'm doing a race unless I'm done with it and posted at FB

Happy Racing Everyone!!!

I'm glad to be back and have real fun with Sprints

2014-04-29 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
I had a great post coming by telling you all that I'm slowly but surely turning the corner with my training and diet and then I read this.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/24/tania-clarence-charg...

Most of you know that I have a nephew with SMA and any races I do are for Team Owen (who raises money for the Gwenolyn Strong Foundation) and ChipStrong for my childhood friend who died of cancer last year. The story hits close to home because the mother of my nephew became a drug addict because she couldn't handle having a child with a disability and then terminated a 2nd pregnancy when tests confirmed that child would also have SMA.

Sorry for the bummer post....this story hits me personally and training wise....not to mention professionally a tad bit with working in a prison.
2014-04-29 1:37 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by medeiros13

I had a great post coming by telling you all that I'm slowly but surely turning the corner with my training and diet and then I read this.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/24/tania-clarence-charg...

Most of you know that I have a nephew with SMA and any races I do are for Team Owen (who raises money for the Gwenolyn Strong Foundation) and ChipStrong for my childhood friend who died of cancer last year. The story hits close to home because the mother of my nephew became a drug addict because she couldn't handle having a child with a disability and then terminated a 2nd pregnancy when tests confirmed that child would also have SMA.

Sorry for the bummer post....this story hits me personally and training wise....not to mention professionally a tad bit with working in a prison.

I am really speechless while fighting my wet eyes. My heart goes to your nephew being in my field work involves taking care of pt.s with neuro mascular conditions. Pt.s with Duchenes Syndrome , Spina bifida and Mascular Dystrophy atleast they get to live a part of their with there loveones for quite a while, SMA tops it all for being aggressively progressive my prayers goes to your nephew.

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-29 1:38 PM
2014-04-30 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
((Jay)) - sorry - no words for some of the heartbreak in the world.

Carl - as others said you accomplished someone few do. Yes, you could have quit, but you didn't. Sounds like you learned a few lessons and I noticed you immediately talked about what you would do different next time - you have the heart of a triathlete!

Mike - so sweet, you are a great role model for your girl, she sounds like a great kid. Such a good sport for kids. I love seeing kids giving it their all in swimming, biking, running - just love it.

Still losing two lbs/week. I'm almost out of the overweight zone! Doing OK with the level of training I'm at.

Have been avoiding the pool. I hate swimming - I got used to being in the pool and it was almost OK, then realized how agonizingly slow I was and how it means I must be doing everything wrong and just psyched myself out. Friend who offered to help has been having some family issues and I hate to ask her about it, but will soon.

Hope you all have a great training day!
Mitzi

2014-05-01 12:34 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Mitzi

Thanks for the encouragement and your weight loss i so so so envy you!!!!

@Steve

I am beating myself remembering back then when i signed up with your mentor group . You are very right when you mentioned i can build up to be full iron ready. I just did some Shennanigans with my races. I just went for a practice swim this afternoon for fun and i manage to do 2.1 mi @ 1:45:00 still very slow but more than enough for IM Swim cut off. IF i just followed the plan and let go of my full mary this year i could have built to do IMTX Full this year. Anyway there is always next year I just signed up as Volunteer for IMTX this year as a Bike Aid to gather intelligence

Happy racing everyone!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20755 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19541 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23814 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15682 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
Do you want to jump-start your New Year’s weight-loss resolution?? Then here is what it's time to do…TRAIN FOR A TRIATHLON!! Part I of a monthly series.
date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.