BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-04-08 6:09 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN

Thanks for all the encouragement re: my crappy race guys, it's nice to know we're not in this alone! I can learn a lot from it so it's all good.

George, I'm glad the calf is coming along well. My last calf injury was about 6-8 weeks of frustration too, so it's good to hear it's healing faster than that. And yes, the Challenge course is quite close by (an hour or so away) so I'm planning to ride that hill at least once a month until then. There are a few good hills close to home I can tackle as well.

Have a good week everyone!

2014-04-09 8:23 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

New user
Took a few days off, trying to my mind back in gear for another round of training and improvement, my calf is still sore, so running still out of question. planning to swim tomorrow, been off 4 days, I will probably be gassed. It seemed like my body needed some rest though, I had really put a lot in a short amount of time for last Saturday. So we will see....got to stoke the fire inside again, and get going.

Everyone keep up the good work, and being inspirational in what you do
2014-04-10 9:44 AM
in reply to: coachrains

User image

Hey, everyone. It's been a while, looking back over the last few pages, I can see the Hashers and Mashers are as active as ever.

Sorry to hear about those of you who have picked up injuries . I'm still nursing my left ankle. I really screwed it up running too much to quick and not resting enough at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. Trying some physical therapy and new shoes, but it's still bothering me.

Getting back in the pool has been enjoyable. Been out on my new bike once and it was a neat experience being on a road bike for the first time. However, it seems that there are regularly stories of cyclists being struck and injured/killed around these parts. Gives me pause before riding, for sure. On my hybrid, I rode on the side walks. Now that I'm on a tri bike and riding in the road (bike lanes on most routes), I'm very concerned.

Don't have a race date yet and want to make more headway with rehab before committing since I can't run too much too fast yet. That's all for now.
2014-04-10 5:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by PsyTri

Hey, everyone. It's been a while, looking back over the last few pages, I can see the Hashers and Mashers are as active as ever.

Sorry to hear about those of you who have picked up injuries . I'm still nursing my left ankle. I really screwed it up running too much to quick and not resting enough at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. Trying some physical therapy and new shoes, but it's still bothering me.

Getting back in the pool has been enjoyable. Been out on my new bike once and it was a neat experience being on a road bike for the first time. However, it seems that there are regularly stories of cyclists being struck and injured/killed around these parts. Gives me pause before riding, for sure. On my hybrid, I rode on the side walks. Now that I'm on a tri bike and riding in the road (bike lanes on most routes), I'm very concerned.

Don't have a race date yet and want to make more headway with rehab before committing since I can't run too much too fast yet. That's all for now.

Gary

glad your back, and congrats again on the new bike. Sorry about the long recovery it gets better. It caught my attention about you riding along the road. If your overly concerned about riding on those roads , it always works for me to believe those hunches. If you can ask bike shops what are the best routes and the safest are the routes with a shoulder lane or bike lanes. Here in Texas its legal for us to share roads with vehicles following the 3 feet rule but still scares the hell out of me. I normally die of dullness going around my 6 mi route.

Good luck and ride safely

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-10 5:44 PM
2014-04-11 5:32 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

+1 to that. The roads around here can be seriously dangerous with idiot drivers that will deliberately swerve at and bully cyclists, so I only go out to "share" the road early on a sunday when they're still in bed sleeping off their hangovers. Other times it's bike lanes only for safety's sake. Limits my bike training but keeps me alive. I also had the problem of being a newbie on a road bike; until November I had only ever ridden mountain bikes and I'm still a little unbalanced and less manouverable at low speed.

2014-04-11 7:38 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

New user
Originally posted by Taringa

+1 to that. The roads around here can be seriously dangerous with idiot drivers that will deliberately swerve at and bully cyclists, so I only go out to "share" the road early on a sunday when they're still in bed sleeping off their hangovers. Other times it's bike lanes only for safety's sake. Limits my bike training but keeps me alive. I also had the problem of being a newbie on a road bike; until November I had only ever ridden mountain bikes and I'm still a little unbalanced and less manouverable at low speed.

I feel very fortunate that here in central Ky most motorist are very safe and tolerant with bikes, some will hardly pass you, I feel like I am going to have to pull off to get them to go around. Around the horse farms we have plenty of bike safety signs and motorists who use those roads expect to see bikers on pretty day. Early morning and weekend rides are still good idea, stay away from rush hours.

2014-04-11 7:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Baltimore is bad with biking as well. It's the easiest/fastest way to get around downtown, but the drivers (especially cabs) are terrible at sharing the roads. I just joined the Baltimore Area Triathlon Club, so I'm hoping to learn some new routes I can do for my training rides. There's a meet and greet/bike prep 101 class next Tuesday, so I'm hoping to make some good connections.

Had a great cycling class this morning! I'm starting to feel a lot stronger. Biking is definitely what I am most worried about for the tri so it was good to have a little confidence boost today. It's also beautiful here, and it's Friday, so I'm pretty much having a wonderful day so far

Hope you all have an amazing weekend!
2014-04-11 4:44 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by nicole14e

Baltimore is bad with biking as well. It's the easiest/fastest way to get around downtown, but the drivers (especially cabs) are terrible at sharing the roads. I just joined the Baltimore Area Triathlon Club, so I'm hoping to learn some new routes I can do for my training rides. There's a meet and greet/bike prep 101 class next Tuesday, so I'm hoping to make some good connections.

Had a great cycling class this morning! I'm starting to feel a lot stronger. Biking is definitely what I am most worried about for the tri so it was good to have a little confidence boost today. It's also beautiful here, and it's Friday, so I'm pretty much having a wonderful day so far

Hope you all have an amazing weekend!

Nicole

Great for all triathletes at Maryland, with the new IM in your town. You'll see a big surge in triathlon there and you got a good head start. Dont worry about the biking honestly for me riding is the easiest to build and most complain (including me) about the swim. You got the swim covered very well so its just a matter of time and you'll be flying in all three.

2014-04-11 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Greetings all, I had a good swim today. We swam 6# 6:00sets of 50m all-out (100% effort) and 100m active recovery (very easy swimming). I swam the all-outs in :50secs each (:49 for the last two). I was swimming beside a very young lifeguard lady (about 40 yrs younger than me) and she was faster than me but I really pushed/raced her and made us both swim faster. It was tiring but quite a lot of fun.

Coach - Definitely take time to recuperate. Even listening to your body doesn't always work as I found out to my chagrin. So, what is next for you?

Anna - Let us know when you ride your bike route hills and what you think of them. I'm sure come race day you won't find them nearly as bad as your first ride on them.

Gary - Glad you checked in & keep us up to date on your recovery. Stay in touch - you can always comment on any topics of interest.

For cycling - our area is mostly respectable people but as everywhere there are murderous adzholz that zoom by us without giving us an inch (I have a particular hatred for any "Hummers"). Fortunately, it is only a mile from home to lesser travelled country roads with reasonably wide road shoulders to ride on and I also try to be vigilant at all times using my ears as well as my eyes and I also try to "hold my line" as much as possible (no wandering from side to side). The main thing is to avoid as much traffic as possible. Everyday I am amazed at how many people I see riding without wearing a helmet and riding on our busiest Main St in traffic so thick it is only a matter of time before someone gets killed. (all the more stupid because we have very good bike lanes all through our town). I also assume that I am invisible to drivers even when wearing bright clothing and they all think I can stop on a dime.

On that happy note - I'm planning to ride south tomorrow with a few good hill climbs and maybe a wade (knee deep) into a cold lake. I'll ride alone tomorrow but hopefully soon I'll be able to get a few people to ride with me.
2014-04-12 6:08 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

George,

Thanks for the welcome back.
Sounds like your calf is on the mend. Glad to hear it.
Those swim sets sound tough but fun. I'm sure having some competition bumps up the fun factor!

Have a great weekend.
2014-04-12 9:15 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
I've had some close calls riding on the road, specially with people turning in front of me. In on case they were coming toward me and saw me skidding to try to stop. They stopped just before the intersection where I skidded to a stop then fell over because I forgot to unclip. :-)

Have a great weekend everyone!

2014-04-14 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Hey all, I'm getting back into the swing of things.  I wasn't logging workouts for a while, and frankly wasn't working out much.  Once I cancelled my Vineman registration I lost a lot of motivation.  But I'm looking into registering for the Chicago Triathlon now (oly distance), so I'm getting more into it.  It's in late August so that give me plenty of time.  Next month we move across the country, so it'll be a challenge to not let that throw too much of a wrench into it.  Equally as important, I'm trying to improve my eating habits because I'd like to lose 15-20 pounds by race day.  Certainly doable but not if I continue to eat the way I have been since my last race in August, even if I stick to a good workout schedule.

2014-04-14 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by ransick

I've had some close calls riding on the road, specially with people turning in front of me. In on case they were coming toward me and saw me skidding to try to stop. They stopped just before the intersection where I skidded to a stop then fell over because I forgot to unclip. :-)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Oh No!! Wouldn't you know your fall would happen at the worst possible time. I once pulled up to an intersection and had my right foot on the curb all safe and suddenly in slow motion I just fell over to the left, couldn't get my foot out in time. It didn't really hurt and nothing got scraped but it was embarrassing.
2014-04-14 9:22 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Hey all, I'm getting back into the swing of things.  I wasn't logging workouts for a while, and frankly wasn't working out much.  Once I cancelled my Vineman registration I lost a lot of motivation.  But I'm looking into registering for the Chicago Triathlon now (oly distance), so I'm getting more into it.  It's in late August so that give me plenty of time.  Next month we move across the country, so it'll be a challenge to not let that throw too much of a wrench into it.  Equally as important, I'm trying to improve my eating habits because I'd like to lose 15-20 pounds by race day.  Certainly doable but not if I continue to eat the way I have been since my last race in August, even if I stick to a good workout schedule.

Hi Joe. Good luck in the move. I too am struggling not to gain any weight while I'm not working out as hard as I was. I'm hoping I can start running by the end of this week or the next. I'm swimming and cycling but I still feel like I am cheating.
2014-04-14 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Coach - take care of your calves. The tightness could be a warning that you're on the verge of a tear. Both my calves were tight and I knew the risk but I thought I was being careful enough to avoid it but obviously I wasn't careful enough.

I went out for a short bike ride (1:40) yesterday and all was great (wish I had my camera with me). Gorgeous warm day riding along a Lake then a big hill climb and into Okanagan Falls (small community at far end of the lake) and I stopped at the beach for a little nutrition/hydration then I headed back home. Now into a headwind. While I was climbing the one short but steep hill I felt my left calf muscle tense up and I believe I was just short of tearing. Fortunately, I just eased up and finished the climb very carefully so I didn't actually tear the muscle but I'm sure I was extremely close. My left calf was quite sore the rest of the day but much better today.

My right calf seems to be healing well and I can almost walk without any limp. I understand that as soon as I can walk limp free and then run without any symptoms I can start easing back into running. I will definitely listen to my muscles from now on.

After my bike ride I realized I got a sunburn on my face and through the holes in my helmet on top of my head. I now have a red face and white eyes.

Today I was back at the pool with my swim group and we swam another 1000m TT. I started out swimming between the two fastest people in our group and I kept up with them for a few lengths before I realized I should ease up so I could finish the 40 lengths. Our coach timed us but we had to keep count and I was careful to keep track. I had no sense of speed but when I finished I was shocked to learn my time was 22:10 almost two minutes faster than my previous best (24:08) and 3 minutes faster than my last two time trials.

I immediately thought I had only gone 950m but todays time was right on my 300m TT pace (within 3 secs) so I'm really pleased.
2014-04-15 6:10 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Joe, good luck with the move! That's a big upheaval, but think of all the new routes to explore . And all that moving heavy stuff has got to count as strength training...I'm sure you'll be well and truly back into it for the Oly. I hear you on the eating habits thing too, I'm packing it on at the moment with Easter just around the corner. I've done a deal with myself, binge on chocolate, hot cross buns and beer for Easter (going camping for a traditional archery shoot, there's always lots of beer at these events) then wind it back and eat sensibly after that. Want to lose about 5kg.

George, nice work on smashing the PB for the 1km!  Very satisfying knocking that much off in one go,  it reflects all the time and effort you've been putting in. Glad to hear the calf held up for the ride and you were able to nurse it through. Have you been seeing a physio with it or just healing it yourself? 

2014-04-15 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Joe, good luck with the move! That's a big upheaval, but think of all the new routes to explore . And all that moving heavy stuff has got to count as strength training...I'm sure you'll be well and truly back into it for the Oly. I hear you on the eating habits thing too, I'm packing it on at the moment with Easter just around the corner. I've done a deal with myself, binge on chocolate, hot cross buns and beer for Easter (going camping for a traditional archery shoot, there's always lots of beer at these events) then wind it back and eat sensibly after that. Want to lose about 5kg.

Thanks!  Yeah...for tri training I'm definitely getting the short end of the stick.  There's nearly infinite routes for bike riding out here in Fresno, the streets, even in the foothills and mountains, are very bike friendly.  And you can ride almost year round.  And I'm not sure where I will swim yet, but I'll figure it out.  For the tri life I'm definitely pretty spoiled where I'm at, but I'm sure I can make it work in Chicago too.

Thankfully, my work pays for movers who pack and ship everything, so I don't have to worry about that.

2014-04-15 11:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Anna - I've been treating myself for the calf issues. I've mainly been careful not to overwork the calf. Not standing too much. Compression. (I elevated the leg in the first few days) and I've done some basic calf massage and trigger point therapy but the main thing I've been doing is applying electrotherapy each evening (I have an electrotherapy machine using Interferential current).

2014-04-16 1:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow Trainees

Any of you experience chills at night before going to sleep and sometimes feverish. I have been drinking Advil every time i have a 2+ hrs workout in a day even if i split them in two 1 hour workouts , hours apart.

i have been taking a day rest a week.

i am thinking of lack of sleep

thoughts? experiences?

Cheers!!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-04-16 1:36 AM
2014-04-16 5:15 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by strykergt Fellow Trainees Any of you experience chills at night before going to sleep and sometimes feverish. I have been drinking Advil every time i have a 2+ hrs workout in a day even if i split them in two 1 hour workouts , hours apart. i have been taking a day rest a week. i am thinking of lack of sleep thoughts? experiences? Cheers!!!

Hey Carlo, that doesn't sound right! Chills and feverish would suggest you're fighting something off and your immune system is taking a battering. Lack of sleep won't be helping either, maybe ease off the training and get some R&R? How much Advil/how often? Ibuprofen's meant to be pretty safe but I'm guessing long term use could have some side effects.

Take care of yourself!

2014-04-16 5:22 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by wenceslasz Anna - I've been treating myself for the calf issues. I've mainly been careful not to overwork the calf. Not standing too much. Compression. (I elevated the leg in the first few days) and I've done some basic calf massage and trigger point therapy but the main thing I've been doing is applying electrotherapy each evening (I have an electrotherapy machine using Interferential current).

George, the electrotherapy IC machine sounds very interesting, I had to go off and google it to find out what it was. Do you feel it helps with healing, or is it more of a pain relief tool? One of my physio sessions while my calf was healing involved some laser after the dry needling, acupuncture and massage, but I think the physio was just playing with as many toys as she had at her disposal. I'd have been willing to have a go with IC or a TENS machine if they had it too .

2014-04-16 8:44 AM

User image

New user

Originally posted by wenceslasz Anna - I've been treating myself for the calf issues. I've mainly been careful not to overwork the calf. Not standing too much. Compression. (I elevated the leg in the first few days) and I've done some basic calf massage and trigger point therapy but the main thing I've been doing is applying electrotherapy each evening (I have an electrotherapy machine using Interferential current).

George, the electrotherapy IC machine sounds very interesting, I had to go off and google it to find out what it was. Do you feel it helps with healing, or is it more of a pain relief tool? One of my physio sessions while my calf was healing involved some laser after the dry needling, acupuncture and massage, but I think the physio was just playing with as many toys as she had at her disposal. I'd have been willing to have a go with IC or a TENS machine if they had it too .

How ironic that all this calf injury and rehab is surfacing now....
I decided to give a run workout a try this morning, my calf has felt fine walking, and even good on a real light jog the other day. Making good pace at 1/2 mile mark, then it tighten up on me again, not near as severe as Tri last week, but none the less it is same spot. I ease off a little and felt like it was loosening up, run was feeling good except for calf, finished mile and walk couple of laps trying to stretch it out. Ice on it now, it is getting sorer. What I thought might have been a cramp must have been a strain. #^&$%^W# this doesn't help me get back in groove. I will better head George's advice and stay off it, work on improving strength and flexibility and running tech. I have been running with 4mm drop shoes and wearing them everyday for last 2 years. It has always put stress on my calves, but never had residual effects, my technique may not be as good, I have been looking on internet, there is chance I not let heel touch ground and it is over stressing calf.
When I originally hurt it, I was coming of steep downhill where I likely was overstriding and landing on toes. When I accelerated at bottom it knotted up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Do you think I ought to go back to regular running shoes, I liked the fact that neutral style running didn't beat my knees and back up as bad?

George I am glad to hear you are doing much better!
2014-04-16 10:19 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Fellow Trainees

Any of you experience chills at night before going to sleep and sometimes feverish. I have been drinking Advil every time i have a 2+ hrs workout in a day even if i split them in two 1 hour workouts , hours apart.

i have been taking a day rest a week.

i am thinking of lack of sleep

thoughts? experiences?

Cheers!!!

If that goes on for more than a few days, I'd go see your doc. Like Anna said, it sounds like you might be fighting something off.
2014-04-16 3:31 PM
in reply to: coachrains

User image

Master
St. Louis
Interesting how many of us are battling calf issues right now. My upper left calf toward the outside has a knot in it. I've been digging into it with my knuckles and rolling it with "the stick". I've had this knot for a long time and with running volume it gets worse. During HIM training it got bad enough I had a couple deep tissue massages. Those hurt in a good way.

Coach, I was in your neck of the woods yesterday getting the UK college tour for my son. Beautiful area and even in town it seemed like drivers were very cyclist aware.
2014-04-16 10:14 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Anna /Mike

Thanks alot

i normally feel better the following morning after drinking NSAIDs. I took another day off today did nothign but sleep the whole day.I only have this week till taper i am not risking it. I am just going to do one workout per day for now. I am pretty much comfortable for build even the swim . So far i can do 1.2 mi swim under one hour straight no breaks.

I'll keep you guys posted

Cheers!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 20935 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37107 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19673 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24096 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15895 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.