General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just starting running and it hurts my shins! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-01 11:24 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: Just starting running and it hurts my shins!
I am very new to running. Okay I have only done it maybe 4 times this year. When I run more than 1/4 mile my shins start killing me enough that I take a walk break. Is it just something I need to work through? I keep getting worried if I don't stop I am going to hose up my shins and I won't be able to bike (which is the only thing I am half good at right now!). Should I just keep running until I am out of breath, or should I take walk breaks when I feel my shins killing? I am still kinda heavy, so I am sure that has something to do with it.

2006-08-02 12:00 AM
in reply to: #500103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Just starting running and it hurts my shins!

It most likely has to do with how you run.  If you can get someone to watch you run and knows good form that would be ideal.  From my limited experience it sounds like you are heel-striking.  meaning on the return of the leg to the forward postition you bring it too far forward and land on the heel.  you should only bring it back forward eoungh to bring the leg back underneath your body and land on the toe. 

A good warm-up and stretch can help with shin splints before a run also.  CoolRunning.com has a good stretch lay-out here.  Try the stretches, work on your form and the splints should go away gradually.

2006-08-02 4:08 AM

User image

Kennesaw GA
First and foremost, how did you purchase your running shoes? Most of the better shoe stores can perform a video gait analysis of your stride to determine your level of pronation and help decide on what kind of shoe is best. Secondly, you can do a an runners exercise each day that will help with your shins. Simply sit on the floor in sort of a ball position. Wrap you arms around your legs sort of in a hug you might say. Keep your heals on the ground and tap your feet. This will work your shin area and strengthen them. Just a few thoughts.

G
2006-08-02 7:04 AM

Veteran
Snellville
If you just started running the muscles in your legs are not yet conditioned to your new exercise.  Take it slowly and increase running as you are able without injury.  Walk if you need to.  You will be able to increase distance over time.
2006-08-02 7:35 AM

User image

Hi TK,

I had the same issue when I started running earlier this year. Then someone suggested that I "write" the alphabet with my feet before I run. This has the effect of warming up the muscles that run down the front of the shin and has helped me a lot.

The other thing is to make sure you are using running shoes that suit your running style. Most running stores will perform a gait analysis and have you try on, and run in, a number of different shoes until you feel comfortable.

Hope this helps.

-Paul
2006-08-02 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Ahh, welcome to the world of shin-splints! Yes, writing the alphabet is a great excercise that you can do to strengthen your lower legs and increase ankle flexibility as well.
Another exercise I used to do is heel lifts on a curb or stair before you go for a run. Walk for 5 minutes, do 3 sets of 10 reps of heel lifts, then start jogging. Each week ad 2 reps.
And there is running backwards, or walking on your heels, or toe tapping.
You can switch between these for variety. I have done them all and they work very well.
My soccer coach alternated between running backwards, walking on heels and toe tapping.

The key with the toe tapping is to do it as hard and fast as you can. Start with 3 sets of 10 and work your way up to timed sets (like 30 seconds). You can do this at work under your desk!
Since you run intermittently, start doing two of these excercises each week, and hopefully the next time you run, you will see the investment pay off!

Remember, since your shins already are sore, take it easy with these excercises. Take some mild anti-inflamatories and ice your shins after a run. Aslo run on softer surfaces as you start out, that will help a lot! Also if you are very new to running, you should do a run/walk combination, run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute...run 6 minutes, etc...

here are some articles i googled for you; I typed in "shin splints exercises"
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0161.htm
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/leg_injuries/a/aa010201a.htm
Good Luck! and keep running!

2006-08-02 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Others have pretty much hit the nail on the head.  But, IMHO, the leading cause of shin splints in new runners is improper shoes.

There is a difference between walking/everyday shoes and running shoes.  If you haven't, go to a good running or tri store, NOT Sports Authority, ect type stores, and have them fit you for shoes.  It's worth the price.  Running shoes are one of the few things that I will shell out good money for.  And I'm cheap!

Also, I ice your shins after EVERY run for 20 min.  That will help too.

Keep it up...it will get better.

2006-08-02 9:28 AM

Canton
I was in your same exact position about 1.5 years ago. I just took it slow. Being the winter time then, I was running on a treadmill...my shins would be killing me after a short time of running. I talked to the local university's physical trainer. He told me to stretch...but never strecth a cold muscle, and to just keep at it, take it slow...and the pain eventually went away. I ran with those same shoes for the remainder of the year actually....no more pain once my body got 'used to' running.

2006-08-02 10:07 AM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Thanks everyone for the help! I looked at the couch to 5k program from this site and I think it will be a good idea for me to keep alternating running and walking every few minutes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just starting running and it hurts my shins! Rss Feed