BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-01-12 3:46 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - OPEN

Welcome to the Junkies, Jayne!

I am still not over this cold that has sidelined me for most of the last 4 weeks. I have gotten one 4 mile race in there, but that just kicked my tail. I've recovered from the run physically, but the cold is still holding me back. Any attempt at running just brings on a coughing fit and makes my throat sore the rest of the day so I have been laying off.

I was able to get 2 good Kung Fu workouts in this week, but even during one of those I could feel the exhaustion creeping in.

I hate being sick!

2014-01-12 4:44 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by bswcpa

......Angel Jayne!       

While I'm thinking of it - since you're on Facebook - you may want to join the Asphalt Junkie page and then everyone that's on there can friend you too.  

Thinking of MATT this morn out on the trails doing his 12 miler.   Go Matt Go!!  Hope your foot cooperates and doesn't give you pain. Will look forward to hearing how it went.  

Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

Have you ever actually met Jayne?  Angel?  My eye!   jk

I think Jayne has to be added by one of us.  Ill go ahead and add her name.

Matt, how did the race go?  Other than the muddy shoes that is.

2014-01-12 6:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by bswcpa

......Angel Jayne!       

While I'm thinking of it - since you're on Facebook - you may want to join the Asphalt Junkie page and then everyone that's on there can friend you too.  

Thinking of MATT this morn out on the trails doing his 12 miler.   Go Matt Go!!  Hope your foot cooperates and doesn't give you pain. Will look forward to hearing how it went.  

Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

Have you ever actually met Jayne?  Angel?  My eye!   jk

I think Jayne has to be added by one of us.  Ill go ahead and add her name.

Matt, how did the race go?  Other than the muddy shoes that is.

Today's run was brutal to say the least.  I woke up around 4:30 am and my legs were already arguing with me, stiff and crampy.  Made the drive to Columbus and after a short warm-up my legs were moving, but that was about it.  The race itself was a 2 lap course that totaled around 12.4 miles, 1st lap was easy and according to plan I held back a lot, or at least that is what I thought I was doing, when in reality its all I had.  For the 1st lap there was some mud, but it wasn't terrible.  Some sections were sloppy but a lot of the flats were solid and good to run on.  By the time the 2nd lap came around though, it was a completely different story.  The entire course had turned into a sloppy sticky mess.  The mud was some sort of clay sand mixture that just stuck to everything.  I think I made it to around mile 9 before my legs gave up, or at least tried to.  At this point I had seen enough mud and my legs were beat up.  It seemed like there was no break, either you were slipping, getting stuck, attempting to turn an ankle or just plain falling over.  The constant strain was just exhausting, I finally finished my 12 miles in a little over 3hrs.  I had a lot of fun though and looking forward to the next race in the series in February.  Hopefully my legs will be fresh and I will be able to do much better.

one additional item! I had no issues with my foot to speak of, felt a few strains on my ankle but nothing unexpected from a trail run

Edited by mambos 2014-01-12 6:24 PM
2014-01-12 8:22 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
John I hope you are feeling better and soon so you can get back on track with your running and all other training.

Matt congrats on finishing the trail run. Sounds like a tough day with some rough conditions on the trail. I'm glad to hear that you were able to push through even with the dead legs today and finish. Most importantly it's also good to hear that you didn't have any issues with your foot as well. Hoping you have better race at the next one.

So I pretty much did the unthinkable today, I passed up the chance to MTN bike on what turned out to be a pretty nice day. I was just too tired, sore and unmotivated to go today. I know I'm gonna regret not going and will be thinking about it all week but it was probably the right thing to do. Hopefully I'm able to get one in next weekend.
2014-01-12 9:00 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Bronze member

Hey all, I'm not going to be around much for a while. My Dad is sick and in ICU so I'm back and forth between home and the hospital (2 hour drive). Say a prayer if you get a chance. I'm not going to get into what all is wrong here but it's all in my blog. Thanks

2014-01-13 8:57 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Am I too late to claim a spot?? After nearly dying from the flu the past three weeks I am finally getting back into the routine of life and I see the Junkies are already three pages deep.... Just checking to see if I have lost my spot!

2014-01-13 9:59 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition
Originally posted by mambos

Derek, I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to try the tour of sufferlandria! That is going to be one painful week, hopefully I make it through the entire thing...

And since we are talking about bikes. I need some input on proper position for the bike shoes. I broke down and ordered to pair of shimano's and I Believe the fit came in pretty good. The fit around the ankle is snug and my toe is close to the end of the shoe. There seems to be plenty of foot room in the toe box which I prefer, I hate the feeling of my feet being squeezed. Any way, when I put the cleats on I positioned them as far back (towards the heel) as they would go, mostly because I think someone in the group mentioned this was the best spot. On Wednesday I had my 1st significant ride with them and really like how they felt. It seemed like I had more control of the bike and I was able to give a stronger pedal motion.

now for the issue, on Thursday after walking my normal routes at work I started to get a soreness in my foot. The soreness in my right foot and is located on the bottom outside edge of my foot, basically halfway down my foot in the meaty section. When I sit down and take weight off of it all sorenes goes away, but walk for a short time and it feels like I am walking on a golf ball. Today showed some improvement but not a lot, but I was able to get a 2 mile run in with only minimal discomfort. Once i finished my run i took a ball and massaged the bottom of my foot, this felt amazing and did wonders but I am guessing if I walked around much the discomfort would've come back. I initially thought it may have been a running issue, but I have been decreasing my milage this week for an upcoming race. So my next thought was the bike shoes and new pedals, prior to these I have been using cages so a pretty big change to the pressure points. My thought is that maybe I should move the cleat forward some to take pressure off my arch and soft tissue, especially along the side of my foot. I also thought that maybe some inserts that would soften the shoe maybe be an option

any thoughts or suggestions?

Matt, I think it's weird that you were already in to your routine at work before you first noticed the pain in your foot. I won't say that it ISN'T your cycling shoes, but I will say that I'm not convinced it is.
Cleats back is a good thing, unless you find a reason you can't tolerate it. But the soles being stiff like they are, the feet are not nearly as sensitive to the pressure of the cleat as you might think. On the other hand, as Dirk said, if the shoes are too narrow, that is a very common cause of exactly the pain you are describing....and cleat placement might not make any difference in that.

It's interesting that I just suffered a bout of that same exact pain and I know which shoes caused it. I just switched up my shoes a bit, but kept using the offenders, and just all-around babied it and it's now gone. Took about 2 months. It was very minor pain overall. I never curtailed my training. I hope that yours turns out to be similar, or even shorter-lived.

As for the cleat positioning: there is not only fore/aft but the angle of the cleat to adjust too. It most often relates to the knee, not the foot itself, but you do want a slightly pigeon toed alignment. Meaning that you want your heel closer to the bike. That is typically a more natural alignment. Or to think of it another way, the inside edge of your foot makes a line that points straight ahead.

As I said, it seems that pain there is usually from pressure on the side due to a narrow shoe. If, however, yours truly is on the button of the foot and due to pressure from underneath, then you might want to try some sort of wedge that will put more pressure on the inside of the foot. Either an arch support or an actual 'wedge' that is sometimes inserted in to cyclist's shoes to get the foot angle better.
In the meantime keep training in your new cycling shoes and try to see if you can get a confirmation on the fact that they are the culprit. It should get worse after each time you wear them, and be getting better in between rides (assuming you have days you don't ride).

2014-01-13 4:25 PM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by jenbmosley

Am I too late to claim a spot?? After nearly dying from the flu the past three weeks I am finally getting back into the routine of life and I see the Junkies are already three pages deep.... Just checking to see if I have lost my spot!

Definitely!  I believe you claimed your spot in the last session.  But it's a good idea to make sure you provide an official notification.

2014-01-13 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by trigal38

Hey all, I'm not going to be around much for a while. My Dad is sick and in ICU so I'm back and forth between home and the hospital (2 hour drive). Say a prayer if you get a chance. I'm not going to get into what all is wrong here but it's all in my blog. Thanks

Very sorry to hear that. All the best to you and your family and hopefully your dad will be alright. I know everyone here is sending you all the strength and good thoughts that we can.
2014-01-13 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by trigal38

Dina I'm sorry to hear that, I hope your Dad is doing better and gets well soon. I'll be praying and thinking about you guys.
2014-01-13 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Vero I hope you are feeling better soon!

Dina, I am sorry about your dad I hope everything turns out ok! Are you driving back and forth everyday?

Matt how are you feeling today! Congrats on what sounds like a rough day.

Tony good choice to not over do it better to rest than to end up sick or injured.

I had to let our massage therapist go she was an amazing therapist she just didn't want to follow the systems we have in place at the salon, so now its interview time I hope we find someone soon cuz my training starts in 4 Weeks :0

2014-01-14 4:44 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Dina,  if you get the chance, let us know how your dad's doing.  Don't feel pressured to keep us up to date on all the details, just give us a better, worse or stable.  We're still praying for you and your family. 

2014-01-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Bronze member

Thanks a lot everyone. Just talked to my mom and Dad is making lots of progress. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and prayers!

2014-01-14 11:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dina thanks for the update on your Dad and that is great news. Keep us posted if you can and you know we're all praying and thinking your Dad and your family.

JoAnne sorry to hear that you had to let the massage therapist go but I see that you have your priorities in order in going out to find a replacement with IM training right around the corner.

Speaking of which I keep thinking IMMT is on 8/24 but it is on 8/17 I need to keep that in mind because I still need to book a place and it would help if I did it on the correct weekend.

Edited by strikyr 2014-01-14 11:50 AM
2014-01-14 2:18 PM

User image

NH
Dina, thanks for the update.

Matt, that looked like an amazing weekend in the mud. And I agree with Jeff about the feet and cycling shoes. I think my post didn't get to the point, but typically the cleats have more effect on the knees and maybe ankles than the feet, particularly the bottom of the feet.

Is everyone moving into true triathlon/IM training now? I'm about to exit my hockey season and I'll be getting back into a more triathlon-like training schedule. Looking forward to getting back to the biking again. Hope everyone is healthy.
2014-01-14 2:25 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

NH
And welcome Jayne. So glad you know Brenda, and hopefully that can offset having met Dirk first.

2014-01-14 9:59 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Welcome Jayne!

Dina - praying for your dad!

After my new years day bike ride, I told my wife "I've worked out every day this year"... it took her quite a while to figure that one out... and she's not even blonde... ha. Fast forward to today and I can still say that I've worked out every day this year... now I'm wondering how long I can keep this streak alive.
2014-01-14 10:02 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx

Everyone - please add your name to your signature. I have the worst memory and then when you change your pic, it really messes me up (looking at you superman). ha.
2014-01-14 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Originally posted by jenbmosley

Definitely!  I believe you claimed your spot in the last session.  But it's a good idea to make sure you provide an official notification.

Yay! I will get my official bio posted tomorrow.
2014-01-15 8:50 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Warren I certainly have started my training, I've got 32 weeks until IMMT. The outseason has begun for me I started last week. It's full speed ahead now literally. I'm focusing on getting faster with the outseason plan so low volume and high intensity workouts. So far so good, I've got my fire and motivation back and happy to be training with a purpose now.

Will that's a nice little streak to have gotten started for the new year, I can't say I've done the same. Nice work and I hope you can keep it going. Have you decided on any races or events for this year?
2014-01-15 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

WHEN CAN YOU START: Like yesterday

USERNAME: jenbmosley Name: Jen Facebook - Jennifer Bendewish

STORY: I turn 35 at the end of January and move into a new age group this year- that's one good thing to look forward to in light of getting another year older. During my teens and early 20's I was a competitive, sponsored snowboarder (also surfed, ran, hiked, and skateboarded). Running became part of my stamina training so I could keep up on back country hikes. After moving to south Georgia in 2011, I struggled to find a new physical outlet without mountains, snow, or the beach; running got boring. After reading an article in Fitness (women's magazine), I decided I would give a sprint triathlon a try. Needless to say, I fell in love with the sport. Because I balance family (single parent since the hubby is gone 50% of the time), work, a new business, I train to enjoy the experience and don' worry much about placing. In 2012, I took first in a sprint in my age group, in 2013 I was dead last on a the bike leg in a race, and in 2013 I gave up my race to help a friend swim and not quit her first race. I love triathlon and my passion for it is growing all the time. I sponsor our local triathlon club and was awarded "Motivator" of the year for 2013 for helping new folks train and get through their first races!

FAMILY STATUS: My amazing husband and I have been married for 7 years! We have two little girls (ages 3 & 5). My husband is an athlete, he loves weight lifting and leaves the crazy endurance stuff to me. I am grateful to only have to pay for one set of tri equipment and races fees for only one person! 

JOB: I currently manage a gym and growing my Herbalife team! Before this, I was a data analyst, an urban planner, and a counter intelligence agent for the US Army. I hold a Bachelors Degree in Environmental Design from the University of Colorado at Boulder and a Masters of Science in Accounting from University of Phoenix.

CURRENT TRAINING: Preparing for my first marathon! Marathon training was sidelined due to flu and instead of hoping to pace well, I am focusing the remainder of training on hoping my legs hold up.  

THIS YEAR’S (2014) RACES: Tri Columbus HIM distance in April. Signed up for Ironman Tahoe in September and hoping that the universe will align this year so I can train and race it. I a also hoping for do some century rides and a few sprint tri's this year.

LAST YEAR’S (2013) RACES: 3 Sprints and 1 Olympic. I stayed with the sprint distance until I was comfortable to move up to the Olympic distance and now feel ready to take it up another notch. My biggest issue is panicking on the swim. I've gone from almost first place in my age group to last in my group - talk about a year of learning!

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES: In 2013, completing an Olympic distance race and not bonking on any race.

WEIGHT LOSS: I ended 2013 with the flu, which has sidelined my marathon training and resulted in a 5 lb weight gain. Overall, I am not as concerned about my weight and know that as I pick up training in the coming months I will lose a few pounds. I am more focused on how I am going t feel when I lose some weight. When I get under a certain weight I do not feel nearly as strong.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: The more I do this, the less I know. Help me finish an IM... pleeeeaaaazzzzzzeeeee.

2014-01-15 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Will,  What's with the name thing? I mean I know you rednecks from the south are slow and all but you've been in this mentor group for a year..........and you can't remember our names? Seriously? Ok really, I know you're referring to Jayne but she's only one person and it doesn’t appear anyone's beating the door down to jump in the group, or any group as far as that goes.

I am not quite as good as a you when it comes to daily work outs. I have missed a couple of days. One was because of travel for work and the other was due to an injury/condition that I thought wouldn't allow me to run. I'll leave out those details.

Warren,  As you well know, I don't really know how to stop triathlon training. I am still slugging along trying to pick up a little more fitness everyday/workout and attempt to hold as high a volume as I can throughout the year. It's my running that is still suffering from my knee issues since the bike crash and/or half marathon injury. My volume is paltry compared to past years and mentally that is challenging coming off years of 25-30 MPW through the winter.

On my own training front I seem to have gotten a breakthrough that's becoming more and more visible. I swam a 1500 yard easy/mod effort last night and I came in at a personal record pace of 22:05. The pace was as fast as I have ever gone per 100 yards (1:28) yet it was somewhat comfortable. I was really happy with the speed at which I completed the swim. I imagine I could have been a little bit faster but gauging these long efforts is a really difficult feat to nail down.

On the bike I seem to be crushing myself nearly every time I ride. I have been getting key workouts in each week that have equated to 6+ hours for almost 2 months (with exception to the last week of the year) and I think I am gaining some ground in my fitness. During last night’s ride, which was a VO2/anaerobic ride, I was able to nail 400 watts for my final interval of 3x5x1' at 130% (355 watts). I was about to fall off the bike and I was panting like dog in the middle of tropical heat wave, but I survived. Tonight I am planning to have an easy hour ride just to add a few miles to our club's monthly mileage and competition for the USAT Winter Challenge (which we are in first place in our division and 4 overall for the bike month).

2014-01-15 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Will,  What's with the name thing? I mean I know you rednecks from the south are slow and all but you've been in this mentor group for a year..........and you can't remember our names? Seriously? Ok really, I know you're referring to Jayne but she's only one person and it doesn’t appear anyone's beating the door down to jump in the group, or any group as far as that goes.

I am not quite as good as a you when it comes to daily work outs. I have missed a couple of days. One was because of travel for work and the other was due to an injury/condition that I thought wouldn't allow me to run. I'll leave out those details.

Warren,  As you well know, I don't really know how to stop triathlon training. I am still slugging along trying to pick up a little more fitness everyday/workout and attempt to hold as high a volume as I can throughout the year. It's my running that is still suffering from my knee issues since the bike crash and/or half marathon injury. My volume is paltry compared to past years and mentally that is challenging coming off years of 25-30 MPW through the winter.

On my own training front I seem to have gotten a breakthrough that's becoming more and more visible. I swam a 1500 yard easy/mod effort last night and I came in at a personal record pace of 22:05. The pace was as fast as I have ever gone per 100 yards (1:28) yet it was somewhat comfortable. I was really happy with the speed at which I completed the swim. I imagine I could have been a little bit faster but gauging these long efforts is a really difficult feat to nail down.

On the bike I seem to be crushing myself nearly every time I ride. I have been getting key workouts in each week that have equated to 6+ hours for almost 2 months (with exception to the last week of the year) and I think I am gaining some ground in my fitness. During last night’s ride, which was a VO2/anaerobic ride, I was able to nail 400 watts for my final interval of 3x5x1' at 130% (355 watts). I was about to fall off the bike and I was panting like dog in the middle of tropical heat wave, but I survived. Tonight I am planning to have an easy hour ride just to add a few miles to our club's monthly mileage and competition for the USAT Winter Challenge (which we are in first place in our division and 4 overall for the bike month).

Dirk you have been putting in some serious time on the bike. That kind of work is going pay off for you come September. Don't worry about your run volume you'll get your miles in plus the extra work on the bike is going to make up for that IMO. Nice work on the VO2 interval workout, 400 watts at 130% is some serious pain and suffering for sure. The other thing is if you're swimming comfortably @ 1:28 per 100 man you are setting yourself up for a great swim at IM. That's all your really want to do, swim as fast as you comfortably can and not burn any matches on the swim.
2014-01-15 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Dirk you have been putting in some serious time on the bike. That kind of work is going pay off for you come September. Don't worry about your run volume you'll get your miles in plus the extra work on the bike is going to make up for that IMO. Nice work on the VO2 interval workout, 400 watts at 130% is some serious pain and suffering for sure. The other thing is if you're swimming comfortably @ 1:28 per 100 man you are setting yourself up for a great swim at IM. That's all your really want to do, swim as fast as you comfortably can and not burn any matches on the swim.
2014-01-15 11:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Tony, I've been considering a couple HIM's in April... Galveston or New Orleans. But I've been so busy i haven't really had time to figure out if it's doable. I'm headed to Ecuador for 9 days in March, so that would interrupt training at my peak level... but I could still finish and possibly finish pretty well. I've been working out every day, but nothing major... just trying to maintain fitness right now.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.