General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best way to boost ant+ signal from laptop? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-02 9:00 AM

User image

New user
Subject: best way to boost ant+ signal from laptop?
what is the best way to extend the ant+ signal from my laptop?

I'm getting set up to train with TrainerRoad, and my power meter is about 10 ft or so (as the crow flies) from my laptop. I've heard of people having signal issues if they get to far away, and I'm trying to avoid that issue from the start.

This weekend I tried a USB extension cable (the "active" variety) and it didn't work with the ant+ device. I tested the ant+ device separately by plugging it directly into my laptop and pairing it with my garmin and it worked fine. The usb extension cable also worked fine with a basic thumb drive. together, the ant+ would not recognize/pair with my garmin. My ant+ is the little nubby kind, not the one that looks like a thumb drive.

Anyone else have an issue like that and resolve it? Any suggestions about how to boost the signal (i.e. a powered usb hub or something like that)?

If it matters, the usb extension cable is the one here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3964619. I got the 16 ft one, because I need to down from my laptop and then around some things and across the room. I suspect the length of the cord might be the issue, but the shorter one at the store was 9ft which wouldn't have worked.

Thanks.

2014-01-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: best way to boost ant+ signal from laptop?

Do you have the latest version of TR?  I downloaded the updated version a week or so ago and all my signals went from Bad/Poor to Good/Excellent with the new update which apparently specifically addressed the poor signal issues everyone complains about. 

2014-01-02 9:34 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Mine works with an extension cable.  Mine you, it's not 16 ft long and I have the actual Garmin Ant stick.  I guess I'm not much help.  

Any reason you can't just move the laptop closer?

2014-01-02 9:43 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

New user
Originally posted by Clempson

Do you have the latest version of TR?  I downloaded the updated version a week or so ago and all my signals went from Bad/Poor to Good/Excellent with the new update which apparently specifically addressed the poor signal issues everyone complains about. 

I haven't actually downloaded TR yet. I guess I'm kind of trying to solve a problem I'm not sure I'll have yet. I had read so much about it happening that I figured I'd work the solution into my set up initially. It could end up not being an issue.
2014-01-02 9:46 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

New user
Originally posted by axteraa

Mine works with an extension cable.  Mine you, it's not 16 ft long and I have the actual Garmin Ant stick.  I guess I'm not much help.  

Any reason you can't just move the laptop closer?

ultimately I could move the laptop closer, but it's not my ideal set up. Right now the laptop is on a non-moveable piece of furniture in my home gym, right speakers, TV, other components and power cords/outlets) and right in front of my bike/trainer set up at just the right viewing height/distance/angle. I could always move stuff around each time i use it -- like pull the laptop out to a snack table or move my bike etc., but I want to get it all set up just right without having to do all of that stuff.
2014-01-02 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I am using the new mini Garmin Ant+ stick the nubby with a straight old fashion 10 ft USB cable with no problems what so ever, linked and paired right up with no issues.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-01-02 10:25 AM

2014-01-02 10:39 AM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

New user
Originally posted by RRH_88

I am using the new mini Garmin Ant+ stick the nubby with a straight old fashion 10 ft USB cable with no problems what so ever, linked and paired right up with no issues.

interesting. thanks. i suspected the length of the cable may be the issue. maybe i'll get a shorter cable online and see if I can make it work with the room as set up.
2014-01-02 12:07 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by braciole
Originally posted by RRH_88 I am using the new mini Garmin Ant+ stick the nubby with a straight old fashion 10 ft USB cable with no problems what so ever, linked and paired right up with no issues.
interesting. thanks. i suspected the length of the cable may be the issue. maybe i'll get a shorter cable online and see if I can make it work with the room as set up.

FWIW, the maximum allowed cable length for USB 2.0 is 5 meters/16 feet so your cable is right at the maximum limit.  It may very well be the cause of your issue.

2014-01-03 2:10 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Get a cheap dollar store usb extension. If you are only 10 feet away, I'm sure even a 3 ft cord would be enough to get a little closer and a better line of sight.
The "active electronics" sound like they are either the direct problem or just getting in the way.
2014-01-03 5:45 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
We're using a program similar to TrainerRoad (PerfPRO) in a multi-rider setting, and were having trouble with some ANT+ signals dropping out. We've added a USB Extension cord with a cradle that allows the ANT+ stick to be held vertically and elevated it in the room. This seems to have eliminated our drop out problems.

We used a cable similar to this one.
2014-01-05 9:38 AM

User image

New user
problem solved, I think.

I returned the 16ft active cable and got a 10ft passive one (which worked out especially well because the shorter one was cheaper and I got to use a coupon they gave me last time at the store).

Anyway, I got it all to work, but I had to right click on the ant+ Agent icon and enable "pair with new devices" (which was set to "disabled") and then accept the pairing on my Garmin. I had done that during the initial set-up, and my understanding was that I wouldn't have to pair my Garmin with the ant+ again after doing it the first time -- that it would just pick up the device automatically and transfer new workouts on its own. I hope I don't have to do that each time going forward, but even if so I can get the data to transfer and the USB extension cable works with the ant+. "Pair with new devices" is now set to "enabled". I'll test it again tomorrow to see what happens.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best way to boost ant+ signal from laptop? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin ant+ for iphone or polar HRM with bluetooth

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1509 Posts: 2

2013-12-27 10:00 AM marcag

ant+ display for the bike?

Started by Bradleykd
Views: 1122 Posts: 3

2013-08-07 4:53 PM julio26pt2

310XT Losing ANT+ Signal

Started by rageeumr
Views: 699 Posts: 3

2013-07-30 10:57 PM rageeumr

Iphone App - Ant+ / Powermeter Display

Started by harleyclone
Views: 1696 Posts: 3

2012-10-31 7:39 PM wolfador

Ant+ powered cadence thingy?

Started by sdanaher
Views: 926 Posts: 3

2010-08-16 8:47 AM dcrainmaker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.
date : October 5, 2007
Discussion on training and weightloss, what to do if the cafeteria has no good food, sweet tooth problems and the importance of nutrient timing.

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : December 7, 2006
author : Ontherun
"Finding triathlon has probably saved my life." A late bloomer shares some of his journeys on becoming a 4rth year triathlete.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.