Other Resources Challenge Me! » 50 Miles of Swimming by MAY 1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-02-05 8:54 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: 50 Miles of Swimming by MAY 1

Might get there within a week. Need it too. Lost a bit of speed and have been kind of flat the last couple weeks. More swimming should help that pick up again. Especially need to focus in the faster parts, and getting more of them in. Losing feel around the catch.

2014-02-05 11:08 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: 50 Miles of Swimming by MAY 1
Got in another easy 1500 yesterday, and once again got ousted by a class in the pool. Dammit.
2014-02-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: ---

Edited by midwesttrimom 2014-02-06 1:37 PM
2014-02-06 2:03 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Subject: SWIM CHALLENGE UPDATE
Hey all! Below is what I have so far for this challenge. You can post after this to give your updates at the end of this week, as I am SURE I've messed something up! This is just for fun to see what we have going on! Some of you are "swimmers" and probably putting in several thousand meters/yards per week. Remember, it's 88,000 yards or 80,000 (approx.) meters. This confuses the heck out of me. I count my pool as meters regardless even though it's actually yards...I still swim 36 laps to make a mile but it's confusing to convert it all over! I will try to convert for this.

Brigby1- big time swimmer from what I can tell and at 60,000 meters (probably more now)

ImSore- 2 K down is the last update I have I believe, but I am sure you are way ahead of this!

Bcraht- 25, 628

LeCrac- 16,750 for the month of January

Kaitlynn85-Training for her first triathlon! Welcome to the world of triathlon! Hope to see your update soon!

Goggles Pizzano- Love the name. 24,000 meters

Swimbikeron- great name, too, but wasn't sure of the commitment level at this point. Come on Ron!

Smack- Don't have an update yet

MSU Brad- Just getting back into the swimming. Fighting a water exercise class for time.

Bigevilgrape-17,250

Simpsonbo- 46,000

Tridimi- 12,900

Midwesttrimom (me)- 21, 450

Looking forward to seeing your updates! I am finally hitting my swims three times per week so hoping for bigger numbers. Still only need 1500-2500 meters each time for Olypmic training right now, though. Slow going as I won't peak until fall for IM.
2014-02-06 3:06 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: SWIM CHALLENGE UPDATE

I've been eyeing this challenge but wasn't sure if I would be able to get back in the pool in time to commit.

I'm in now and on a plan similar to Brad's to catch-up :)

6100 yds so far this week (and year total).

2014-02-07 12:09 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by switch

I've been eyeing this challenge but wasn't sure if I would be able to get back in the pool in time to commit.

I'm in now and on a plan similar to Brad's to catch-up

Nice to see you, Elesa.

I'm only at 2000y + 1500m. It's too late at night for me to convert that. Just going to call it 3500y. That's what sucks about going to differing pools!

Will be all over it this weekend.

2014-02-07 7:38 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

I'm in now and on a plan similar to Brad's to catch-up

Nice to see you, Elesa. I'm only at 2000y + 1500m. It's too late at night for me to convert that. Just going to call it 3500y. That's what sucks about going to differing pools! Will be all over it this weekend.

On this site at least, you can tell it either by the Pace section of the workout entry. Set it mins /100y or mins / 100m and it will convert the total to your default setting. For example, I swim in predominantly yards pools, so that is my default for the totals. Sometimes I might go to a meters pool (one masters pool is bulkhead and will switch over). I can enter the distance in meters, switch the Pace to mins / 100m. After saving, the total will be converted to yards. No need to enter a pace or calculate, just swap the dropdown.

And nice to see you again Elesa!

2014-02-08 7:09 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Thanks Brad and Ben.  It's good to be back, and it's VERY good to actually be training again.

2300y yesterday. S-l-o-w-l-y working my way up to longer sets again.  A little surprised by how much I "lost" in six weeks out of the water :(

----

Ben, we need to assign you a different goal!  Don't you get 50 miles in a month? ;)

2014-02-08 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Mind if I join? I need motivation not to cut my workouts short due to record cold water. (Seriously....in Vietnam!) I'm at 32,650m right now since Jan. 1 but am going to have to work to make the target as pool access can/will be spotty sometimes. Today was the first day in a month that I felt a little warm water coming in from the passive solar system. Pool has been in the low-mid 70's for weeks and I'm a WIMP about cold water!

I always train solo (on weekdays parallel to the HS practice, which just means I drown when the big guys in the next lane do fly) so it would be nice to have some virtual partners!

As for "fun", long workouts, this one is from the BT site--the last month of off-season swim workouts. Did it as a break from Sara MacLarty's "Four Weeks to a Faster 1500" from Triathlete magazine. (Well, in my case, maybe eight or ten weeks. They progress too fast, so I've been doing every week twice. Plus I get sick of only doing distance free stuff, so I've been throwing in the odd IM or speed workout once a week.) I modified it a bit. No times/rests are given in the one on the site so I invented my own. Great workout for a cold pool or if you really want to work on endurance!

Warmup: 2 X 200m swim/100m kick

Appetizer: (What I call that little set after warmup): 4 X 200m build by 50m on 4:00

Main Set: (I modified this. Originally it called for 200m of backstroke but I hate backstroke, esp. the turns--water up the nose and major vertigo!)

3 sets of: 100m butterfly/100m backstroke/100m breaststroke/200m freestyle hard

(Actually not sure these were intended to be done as basically three long IM's but that's what I did!.) In something like 10-10:20, maybe. I did them on 12 minute sendoff.

Cooldown: 100m easy

For some reason this really wore out one particular set of muscles, which swimming rarely does for me. (Deltoids? Whatever is right over your shoulders.) The rest of my body was fine, even after a long run this AM. So guessing either it's really good for strength building, or I overdid it lifting last night, or both!

Happy swimming everyone!

2014-02-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Hey HR--glad to see you in here!

Cold in Vietnam--hahahaha!  Yeah, right!  There are at least four of us in this group in the midwest and a few Canadians; we'll try to extend you some cold-weather sympathy;)

Your "fun" set sounds like torture, btw.  Who in the hell does voluntary 100s of butterfly? 

You're a sick, sick woman.

And awesome. 

Strong work:)

2014-02-08 3:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks Brad and Ben.  It's good to be back, and it's VERY good to actually be training again.

2300y yesterday. S-l-o-w-l-y working my way up to longer sets again.  A little surprised by how much I "lost" in six weeks out of the water

----

Ben, we need to assign you a different goal!  Don't you get 50 miles in a month?

I might.  Looking to average just a bit less than that though. There aren't a whole lot of swimming challenges to pick from, so take what I can get.

2014-02-08 3:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner  As for "fun", long workouts, this one is from the BT site--the last month of off-season swim workouts. Did it as a break from Sara MacLarty's "Four Weeks to a Faster 1500" from Triathlete magazine. (Well, in my case, maybe eight or ten weeks. They progress too fast, so I've been doing every week twice. Plus I get sick of only doing distance free stuff, so I've been throwing in the odd IM or speed workout once a week.) I modified it a bit. No times/rests are given in the one on the site so I invented my own. Great workout for a cold pool or if you really want to work on endurance! Warmup: 2 X 200m swim/100m kick Appetizer: (What I call that little set after warmup): 4 X 200m build by 50m on 4:00 Main Set: (I modified this. Originally it called for 200m of backstroke but I hate backstroke, esp. the turns--water up the nose and major vertigo!) 3 sets of: 100m butterfly/100m backstroke/100m breaststroke/200m freestyle hard (Actually not sure these were intended to be done as basically three long IM's but that's what I did!.) In something like 10-10:20, maybe. I did them on 12 minute sendoff. Cooldown: 100m easy For some reason this really wore out one particular set of muscles, which swimming rarely does for me. (Deltoids? Whatever is right over your shoulders.) The rest of my body was fine, even after a long run this AM. So guessing either it's really good for strength building, or I overdid it lifting last night, or both! Happy swimming everyone!

That would certainly be a handful! I could do it, but would probably end up doing the fly in the 1-arm drill. Might sound harder to those not familiar, but actually allows breathing to the side, so not quite as tough. Also helps work on the rhythm a bit more instead of being so frantic about getting up for the next breath. 

2014-02-08 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Fly was one of my events in HS so had a lot of time to work out the secrets. (This won't win you the Olympics or even a HS dual meet, but it might help you get through longer fly sets.) First, breathe every stroke. Second, take your time with the glide! Also, you could wear fins, which makes it much easier and takes off a lot of the cardio load. I didn't, though. I do sometimes if doing fly as part of warmup/cooldown rather than the main set.

Had rarely done over 50m of fly, except for the occasional 400 IM (one of my master's coaches was very into "strength" sets), since age 16 or so until this winter--our master's club in Oregon had a winter challenge that included an 800m IM. Decided it was a good goal as I was feeling in a rut with swimming this past fall. It took some work, to say the least, but I did make it.

I was actually surprised this workout was on the BT site as most of them are just freestyle. Otherwise, Sara McLarty's my main source for workouts--she's a cruel, cruel woman! Will try to put in some of the "Four Weeks" workouts later.
2014-02-10 12:17 PM

User image

I'm making this challenging for myself.  Only 5,400 yds since last post,  Only one swim in the last two weeks.  Lost a few days to power outages around my parts from storm, a little general laziness and worst of all the pool I use has been packed lately. 

2014-02-10 5:47 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Epic fail with one of the Sara McLarty workouts last night. The main set was 3 X 500m, first and third swim and second pull. I was trying to hit 1:40/100m, which I knew would be tough. Felt really strong and pushing pace hard, but ended up in just under 8:40 (1:43-1:44 pace). It was a bit like OWS owing to HS workout in progress and, for some reason, no lane ropes today (they were doing IM sets, so lots of splashy butterfly!). Next one was pull--should be slower but 8:40 again. The last one I really tried to push the pace; thought I would puke by the end. Time? 8:40 of course. At least I'm consistent, if nothing else. I can't see the pace clock when I'm swimming--someone needs to invent goggles with an LED time display on them!

Guess I should be grateful that I had the lane to myself. (In six or seven years at our school pool, I have only had to share a lane a few times!) Can't imagine what this workout would have been like at a crowded public pool.
2014-02-10 7:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Fly was one of my events in HS so had a lot of time to work out the secrets. (This won't win you the Olympics or even a HS dual meet, but it might help you get through longer fly sets.) First, breathe every stroke. Second, take your time with the glide! Also, you could wear fins, which makes it much easier and takes off a lot of the cardio load. I didn't, though. I do sometimes if doing fly as part of warmup/cooldown rather than the main set. Had rarely done over 50m of fly, except for the occasional 400 IM (one of my master's coaches was very into "strength" sets), since age 16 or so until this winter--our master's club in Oregon had a winter challenge that included an 800m IM. Decided it was a good goal as I was feeling in a rut with swimming this past fall. It took some work, to say the least, but I did make it. I was actually surprised this workout was on the BT site as most of them are just freestyle. Otherwise, Sara McLarty's my main source for workouts--she's a cruel, cruel woman! Will try to put in some of the "Four Weeks" workouts later.

Nice! I've been trying to work on fly (and the other strokes to an extent). Does the breathing every stroke work ok? I've been close to hyperventilating when going that much. Usually try for more every other to 2 of 3. More than that and I'm probably floundering quite a bit already.  More of thing to help get someone started? I try to extend a bit more than glide (meaning I'm active instead of just holding position), otherwise I lose the rhythm and bog down, needing a monster pull to get going. Also have some trouble getting around to really catch and pull well. Some of this probably has to do with becoming more familiar with it. Doing lots of the kick has helped, was stiff as a board before.

That 800 IM sounds crazy! Then again, since our masters team is hosting the state meet this year, our 400 IM guy wanted to set up an exhibition 1500 ... non-free!

2014-02-10 10:32 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Starting to build back up. 2500y in this evening. Definitely not feeling the water yet, but improving. I oftentimes warm up with a 500, and I'm surprised that I haven't lost that much from what I was doing last summer. Give me a few weeks and I'll hopefully build back up to 4K or 5K workouts. Main part of my workout was 18x100s, which I cruised through better than I expected to do.

And I'm not swimming any butterfly. One arm drills, maybe . But I don't need that damn piano coming down on my back after I swim the first 25 yards. *Always* hated fly! In high school, I could go 25 yards with anyone on our entire team....and then they would absolutely toast me 2 strokes off the wall in the second 25. Just couldn't do it.
2014-02-11 3:40 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure how well this works for other people. I have asthma and some days are worse than others (air pollution and sometimes poor ventilation in the pool area; it's normally not an issue with OWS in races as it's in the ocean or lake with nice clean air) so I'm very into breathing whenever possible! For me it's a difference between being able to do 50m (a stretch now) breathing every 2-3 strokes, and 200m+ if breathing every stroke. Yes, I'm extended on the glide phase, by "glide" I don't mean I'm stopped, I'm just not pulling through the stroke as aggressively as on a shorter swim. My whole rhythm slows down. The first time I made 200m was when I wasn't feeling that well (bad food or something the day before). I hadn't eaten much all day, was feeling weak, and thought I'd just try an "easy" 400m IM as part of my "challenge" workout, then some easy long freestyle. But when I got to 100m on the fly, I noticed I still felt really good, not cramping or out of breath at all, so just kept going. The secret is not starting too fast!

A lot of fly is about the kick and core action, as well as rhythm and timing. It CAN'T all be upper body power/strength. The 100 and 200 fly were two of my main events in HS (besides the 500 and 1500 free) and while I wasn't a star, I could hold my own in dual meets, often score 2nd or 3rd, and not ruin the medley relay. This was when I was about 5'6" and 112 pounds. I still have a very slight build and probably look like I couldn't make it for 25m of fly, much less 200, but it's actually my lung capacity that limits me, not physical strength. I've always enjoyed fly and challenges like the 800 IM--it's fun to shock people who don't realize I'm really strong for my size! Been that way since childhood--probably genetic--One grandfather was quite short/skinny, but worked all his life as a blacksmith, banging away on his anvil till almost 80!

When I'm teaching fly, we usually start with the dolphin kick (with fins) so the kids can feel the body movement and position, then add arms and timing, then wean from the fins as strength develops.
2014-02-11 9:20 AM

Master
Northern IL

Ok, sounds each of ours triggers a little different then. I need to stay more relaxed with breathing and those patterns help with it. Like with swimming free. Coach had me work into every 3 strokes instead of 2 so much and it helped. Airway would tighten up by trying to force in & out so fast. What I end up with seems to be most natural and relaxed.

Also sounds similar with the other parts of the stroke. I have to be careful of relaxing *too* much on it. Don't have the strongest recovery and a more limited range of motion (more so out front with these, getting towards entry) as I'm not naturally that flexible. Also a 6'4" wingspan to bring around. Close to the height of more elite swimmers, but not built up quite as powerfully as they are.

That kick & core action has made a difference in my free as well! Improved feel of positioning and much more ability to do something about it with the greater conditioning. I'd encourage others to do more of this before trying other core strengthening exercises that work the same area.

Edited by brigby1 2014-02-11 9:33 AM
2014-02-11 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I'm back in it.  I have a weak 14,100 yds in for 2014 so far.  The marathon and Tour of Sufferlandria hurt my swimming in January, so I'm just now getting back into the swing of things.  I'll get there but it's going to take some 4 day weeks (which I probably need anyway...)

Edited by msteiner 2014-02-11 10:55 AM
2014-02-11 12:09 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Originally posted by msteiner

I'm back in it.  I have a weak 14,100 yds in for 2014 so far.  The marathon and Tour of Sufferlandria hurt my swimming in January, so I'm just now getting back into the swing of things.  I'll get there but it's going to take some 4 day weeks (which I probably need anyway...)

I am with you. I don't swim half as much as most of the people in this challenge. I hope to just eek by. I am only training for an Olympic distance right now and I am a runner, so very run focused much of the time! We will get there eventually! May have to cram it in the last month!

2014-02-11 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
another 10 700 metres... so 56 700m so far.
2014-02-11 11:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Last 3600 was at a meet...

2014-02-12 4:09 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Tell me that wasn't all in one workout!
2014-02-12 7:43 AM

Master
Northern IL

Never know with him.

Hit 90,000 last night. Been paying more attention to some positioning & extension things and feel is coming back. Seeing 1:12's scy again, but not the entire workout. Harder to hold than it should be, but that will come back with more swimming.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 50 Miles of Swimming by MAY 1 Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

MAY "You MAY Pick" Challenge--ALL WELCOME! Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by TriAya
Views: 21617 Posts: 344

2012-06-04 9:50 AM dmbfan4life20

Swim Challenge - 100 Miles! Pages: 1 2 3

Started by benihana
Views: 13683 Posts: 51

2014-01-06 1:56 PM midwesttrimom

GIRLS TEAM THREAD May Swim Challenge Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57

Started by TriAya
Views: 55178 Posts: 1418

2009-06-04 5:17 AM Bopper

BOYS TEAM THREAD May Swim Challenge Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by TriAya
Views: 27329 Posts: 602

2009-06-02 7:00 PM aquagirl

May 700 Mile Challenge - ENTER HERE

Started by D_M_S
Views: 3363 Posts: 20

2008-05-31 10:43 PM WaterDog66
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.