Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lodging suggestions in Sydney? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-07 1:53 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: Lodging suggestions in Sydney?

I need to stay in Sydney for a few days at the beginning of my R&R from my deployment.

I had NO idea how expensive Sydney was.  I'd really like to stay somewhere at least within easy public transit reach of all the action since I am only there a few days.  I'm open to unconventional things like staying at convents, etc.  Not sure I can go as "simple" as a hostel because I am trying to really relax since I've been deployed since May.

Anyone have any suggestions?  At this point I'd just like to keep it under $200/night...sheesh....I can't even use my Hilton points because it's 94k per night to stay there...and I have 147k points.   I was floored when I saw how many points it was to stay there for a night...eek!

2014-01-09 7:26 PM
in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Lodging suggestions in Sydney?

Originally posted by jldicarlo

I need to stay in Sydney for a few days at the beginning of my R&R from my deployment.

I had NO idea how expensive Sydney was.  I'd really like to stay somewhere at least within easy public transit reach of all the action since I am only there a few days.  I'm open to unconventional things like staying at convents, etc.  Not sure I can go as "simple" as a hostel because I am trying to really relax since I've been deployed since May.

Anyone have any suggestions?  At this point I'd just like to keep it under $200/night...sheesh....I can't even use my Hilton points because it's 94k per night to stay there...and I have 147k points.   I was floored when I saw how many points it was to stay there for a night...eek!

It is REALLY expensive.  I would choose a place close to a train/subway stop.   We were there at the beginning and end of our "Big Australia Vacation" last year.  We stayed close to the St James station(near Hyde Park)  the first weekend we were there.  I don't recall the name of the hotel, but I believe it was around $200/night.

The second weekend, we stayed at a Courtyard Marriot in North Ryde.  It looks like it's listing for about $185 right now.   If you go farther out, it will be cheaper.  The trains are EXCELLENT, not TOO expensive, and it's pretty easy to get around the town that way.   We did it with three kids (4,6,8) in tow and had no problems. 

TAKE THE TRAIN FROM THE AIRPORT.  We made the mistake of taking a "maxi taxi" ... $75 for a ride from the airport.  Train was about $50 for all of us.

And just so you know, "quay" is pronounce "key".   "I would like a ticket to the Circular Key"  

Have fun.  It's a gorgeous city with lots of things to do.  It appears to have a really vibrant night life, as well.  Would be a fun place to explore as a couple, or single. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lodging suggestions in Sydney? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sydney Harbor Shark Attack Pages: 1 2

Started by scoobysdad
Views: 1464 Posts: 33

2009-02-12 7:10 PM Trail_Runner

Big Foot Lodge

Started by rbschlesinger
Views: 433 Posts: 6

2007-05-31 3:06 PM betyoursilver

Anyone done a jungle lodge in Ecuador?