General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka One One's--aka running in heaven Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-08 8:16 AM

Arden, North Carolina
Subject: Hoka One One's--aka running in heaven
So based on all the posts I've read and articles I've seen about these shoes I became interested, had some xmas money from the in laws and started doing some price shopping. I could not bring myself to drop $175 on a pair of unknown shoes, but figured, if i found a deal...well I did...Eastern Mountain Sports had a closeout of last years model of the Bondi B in a 12.5 for $100. I wear a 12 so I was a bit unsure about the fit, but in one of the articles, it was suggested to size up a a half size (I went with that to give me an excuse to make the plunge). I figured for $100 it was worth it.

They came yesterday and I did my first run in them, and OH MY GOD was it worth it. They actually fit perfectly. I think a 12 might've felt too tight. These things are truly what everyone has said about them, they really do feel like running on pillows. They still felt firm enough that it didn't feel like landing in mud, but soft enough that I wasn't feeling any impact. They are also amazingly light for how big they are.

I've only done one run, and it was only 30 minutes, so I wouldn't have been sore in my other shoes (newtons), but I'm looking forward to my long run this weekend to really get the full effect of how they feel after putting real mileage on them.

So far though, I'm thrilled with these things

2014-01-08 8:53 AM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Hoka One One's--aka running in heaven

That's great - really glad you like them.  

I would just add that you'll still want to transition into these like you would any other new shoe with a different "fit" than your old ones (and Hoka's are certainly different than Newtons).  They're so soft/easy on the joints that there is a temptation to go long quickly in these - resist it if you can, until you've fully worked into them.

Unfortunately, I found that the very wide base on these did something to the way my foot hits/lands and they started causing shin splints.  Luckily, I'd taken it easy in terms of mileage ramp when transitioning in to them, so I was able to both isolate the cause and stop before it got really bad.  Too bad, as they were MUCH cushier on both my feet and knees than my bone-breaking Newtons… but there you go.

Enjoy running on the cush!

Matt

2014-01-08 9:30 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Arden, North Carolina
Thanks for the advice. My "long" run this weekend isn't all that long relatively speaking. The holidays really put a dent in my running volume, so i've just only restarted, so my long run is only about 6 miles. I don't think that's too much, but certainly open to advice on whether that even is too much to jump into. Perhaps I should go half and half with my Newtons and these?

Thanks!
2014-01-08 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

Thanks for the advice. My "long" run this weekend isn't all that long relatively speaking. The holidays really put a dent in my running volume, so i've just only restarted, so my long run is only about 6 miles. I don't think that's too much, but certainly open to advice on whether that even is too much to jump into. Perhaps I should go half and half with my Newtons and these?

Thanks!

I am also a recent convert to Hoka's and have fallen in love with them. So much so that I plan on running in the new Conquests for my next IM in May. I find it very difficult to mix shoes. I used to run in Mizuno Inspires and I did a track session in them just to change it up and I couldn't believe how much more pounding my legs took. And that's on a softer track. I would think Newtons would be even more of a difference.
2014-01-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: rbalazs

Arden, North Carolina
Years ago, before changing my stride( was a 210 pound heel pounder) I dealt with frequent knee injuries. Since I changed the stride, prior to this past summer I haven't had an injury. I started on newtons about a year ago and though, my speed increased drastically, I also had two leg injuries. One in my calf, never diagnosed and it eventually went away after rest, and what I think has been a beginning, or mild case of PF. The only thing that changed was the newtons. I read several other people develop injuries after switching. I don't want to give them up because I do like them and I'm significantly faster in them, so I"ll probably keep them for shorter races (10k or less) and to rotate in with my Hoka's for shorter runs as well.
Anyway, I'm hoping that running in these will help with the PF. Seems like it's improving since I bought this foot sleeve that Left Brain recommended to someone else. I don't have heel pain in the morning anymore, just some very mild foot pain in the arch that goes away in minutes.

Really hoping these shoes help with the injuries. And fully intend to wear them for my HIM and IM distance races this year.
2014-01-08 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I will give my standard advice. They are awesome shoes. They are too awesome. Use them with care. I know people who can run in them every day. I did. I shouldn't have. I found they give quite a bit of relief on the larger muscles which I think allows the larger muscles to compensate for smaller muscles which turns into injury, or maybe the other way around.

I would recommend doing your easy recovery runs in them. Anything hard and fast though I would stick to your normal runners that give you access to your aches and pains, they are there for a reason.

2014-01-08 12:43 PM
in reply to: BigDH

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by BigDH

I will give my standard advice. They are awesome shoes. They are too awesome. Use them with care. I know people who can run in them every day. I did. I shouldn't have. I found they give quite a bit of relief on the larger muscles which I think allows the larger muscles to compensate for smaller muscles which turns into injury, or maybe the other way around.

I would recommend doing your easy recovery runs in them. Anything hard and fast though I would stick to your normal runners that give you access to your aches and pains, they are there for a reason.

Thanks for the advice and good points. However you left one out key type of workout, which comprises the majority of mine right now. Long, slow runs. I'm building base again so most of my workouts are slow, with a variety of long and short. What are your suggestions for those? And there's no issue with me trying to run every day. No time for that with cycling/swimming.
Thanks.
2014-01-08 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Hokas were a literal game changer for me.  I was "this" close to giving up on running do to some calf/achilles issues that caused nagging pain/injury for almost two years.  The Hokas solved that problem.

I do all my running in them since I bought my first pair of Bondi B2's a year ago.  Did a 70.3 and two IM's in them in 2013.  Already have two pair of Bondi B3 and two pairs of Conquests on pre-order.

2014-01-08 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Calgary

Thanks for the advice and good points. However you left one out key type of workout, which comprises the majority of mine right now. Long, slow runs. I'm building base again so most of my workouts are slow, with a variety of long and short. What are your suggestions for those? And there's no issue with me trying to run every day. No time for that with cycling/swimming.
Thanks.

Not sure how the majority of your runs could be long and slow. But yeah, long slow runs I would say are fine. But if you have any marathon pace work in that I would just say use with caution. Everyone is different. The thing is, those shoes allowed me to run with an injury far longer (in two ways, first they allowed me to run longer more often, so I could string 20km runs one after another, second they allowed those super long runs, 30+ km to be relatively pain free where if I wore my kinvaras the jarring I would feel in my hip would have forced me to stop.) than other shoes would, which caused all sorts of horrible ripple effects. That is why I run around screaming that the sky is falling whenever anyone becomes a convert. If I were to give a rule, it would be only use them for at most half of your runs and if you find you can't run in your normal shoes but you can run in the hokas, stop running in the hokas all together until you sort it out. FWIW my issue was with groin, hip and back pain.

They are kind of like that ring in TLOTR, or any other superhero enchantment that brings great power but has a great price. I truly believe that. If I had to do it over again I would stick with my minimal shoes, use the hokas for every other long run and maybe try to use them in the marathon. I bought four pairs of those suckers.

eta:: the point is not that you don't run in them everyday, but that you also run in something else.

Edited by BigDH 2014-01-08 3:17 PM
2014-01-09 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by BigDH I will give my standard advice. They are awesome shoes. They are too awesome. Use them with care. I know people who can run in them every day. I did. I shouldn't have. I found they give quite a bit of relief on the larger muscles which I think allows the larger muscles to compensate for smaller muscles which turns into injury, or maybe the other way around. I would recommend doing your easy recovery runs in them. Anything hard and fast though I would stick to your normal runners that give you access to your aches and pains, they are there for a reason.
Thanks for the advice and good points. However you left one out key type of workout, which comprises the majority of mine right now. Long, slow runs. I'm building base again so most of my workouts are slow, with a variety of long and short. What are your suggestions for those? And there's no issue with me trying to run every day. No time for that with cycling/swimming. Thanks.
Not sure how the majority of your runs could be long and slow. But yeah, long slow runs I would say are fine. But if you have any marathon pace work in that I would just say use with caution. Everyone is different. The thing is, those shoes allowed me to run with an injury far longer (in two ways, first they allowed me to run longer more often, so I could string 20km runs one after another, second they allowed those super long runs, 30+ km to be relatively pain free where if I wore my kinvaras the jarring I would feel in my hip would have forced me to stop.) than other shoes would, which caused all sorts of horrible ripple effects. That is why I run around screaming that the sky is falling whenever anyone becomes a convert. If I were to give a rule, it would be only use them for at most half of your runs and if you find you can't run in your normal shoes but you can run in the hokas, stop running in the hokas all together until you sort it out. FWIW my issue was with groin, hip and back pain. They are kind of like that ring in TLOTR, or any other superhero enchantment that brings great power but has a great price. I truly believe that. If I had to do it over again I would stick with my minimal shoes, use the hokas for every other long run and maybe try to use them in the marathon. I bought four pairs of those suckers. eta:: the point is not that you don't run in them everyday, but that you also run in something else.

Your post almost makes no sense and contradicts itself several times. 

2014-01-09 8:07 AM

Arden, North Carolina

Thanks.

Not sure how the majority of your runs could be long and slow. But yeah, long slow runs I would say are fine. But if you have any marathon pace work in that I would just say use with caution. Everyone is different. The thing is, those shoes allowed me to run with an injury far longer (in two ways, first they allowed me to run longer more often, so I could string 20km runs one after another, second they allowed those super long runs, 30+ km to be relatively pain free where if I wore my kinvaras the jarring I would feel in my hip would have forced me to stop.) than other shoes would, which caused all sorts of horrible ripple effects. That is why I run around screaming that the sky is falling whenever anyone becomes a convert. If I were to give a rule, it would be only use them for at most half of your runs and if you find you can't run in your normal shoes but you can run in the hokas, stop running in the hokas all together until you sort it out. FWIW my issue was with groin, hip and back pain.

They are kind of like that ring in TLOTR, or any other superhero enchantment that brings great power but has a great price. I truly believe that. If I had to do it over again I would stick with my minimal shoes, use the hokas for every other long run and maybe try to use them in the marathon. I bought four pairs of those suckers.

eta:: the point is not that you don't run in them everyday, but that you also run in something else.

Thanks for the feedback. We're clearly very different runners though. My long runs are relative to my workload. Right now my long runs are 6-8 miles, and though I did say the majority are long and slow, I did qualify it to say, that they're mainly slow, not necessarily long. I get what you're saying about them hiding injuries, but my problem now is not feeling pain while running, even in my Newtons, it's the morning heel pain, which has actually gone away. I've been wearing an ankle sleeve and I guess that's helped. I planned to continue wearing the newtons for my shorter, faster runs, but wanted to use the Hoka's for the longer one's
Thanks again.

2014-01-09 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. We're clearly very different runners though. My long runs are relative to my workload. Right now my long runs are 6-8 miles, and though I did say the majority are long and slow, I did qualify it to say, that they're mainly slow, not necessarily long. I get what you're saying about them hiding injuries, but my problem now is not feeling pain while running, even in my Newtons, it's the morning heel pain, which has actually gone away. I've been wearing an ankle sleeve and I guess that's helped. I planned to continue wearing the newtons for my shorter, faster runs, but wanted to use the Hoka's for the longer one's
Thanks again.

I can agree with some of the points made by BigDH....I went to Hoka's to deal with my foot problems during training, and wound up using them in my IM in August. While I feel the Hoka's helped tremendously, they aren't a silver bullet (what is?) and I agree that it is a good idea to rotate shoes of different types. Hoka's can IMO exacerbate foot issues, which can get worse. They offer little support, and the cushioning can mask problems.

Again IMO, the only relief from heel pain, which is most likely Plantar Fasciitis, is not running and wearing support insoles. Which is exactly what I have been doing and it is getting a lot better. During the season, I did not stop running and it was just getting worse (heel pain).
I will use Hoka's still but plan on rotating them with my regular running shoes...and some sand running barefoot (which seems to help as well).

2014-01-09 2:28 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I put a support insole in my Bondi B's (Superfeet Orange) and this corrected what felt like limited arch support. Other than that, these things are awesome, I have zero foot pain (metatarsalgia) on longer runs and I like the uber stability of the huge sole. I agree they might be problematic as a daily runner because the cushioning may mask some problems. Also, they are really expensive so I am limiting the road time on mine to only the LSD runs on the weekend. Think I will buy a new pair before my HM in Feb.
2014-01-09 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I just took my second run in mine. I was convinced to try them because I'm a big guy with sore feet after I run. Not plantar fasciitis, I mean, the whole bottom of my foot hurts. My podiatrist confirmed that I basically have no fat pads left on the bottom of my feet, after years of heavyweight abuse. (The irony is it was the only fat-less part of my body.) As a cushion for foot pain, it seems to be great. I plan to do long runs in them.

We discuss the Hokas on Episode 4 of Ironman:Year One podcast with Aaron Olson of Paleo Runner. My cohost is a big guy who loves his Hokas. I wanted the paleo runner's opinion, assuming it would automatically skew toward minimalist over the maximalist of the Hokas. But for me, he thought it made sense.
2014-01-09 5:24 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by Oysterboy

I put a support insole in my Bondi B's (Superfeet Orange) and this corrected what felt like limited arch support. Other than that, these things are awesome, I have zero foot pain (metatarsalgia) on longer runs and I like the uber stability of the huge sole. I agree they might be problematic as a daily runner because the cushioning may mask some problems. Also, they are really expensive so I am limiting the road time on mine to only the LSD runs on the weekend. Think I will buy a new pair before my HM in Feb.

thats good to know about SuperFeet in the Hokas. I've used SuperFeet in the past, and may have to revisit that idea.
2014-01-10 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
I really dislike the Hoka shoe and I think it's thought provoking that so many runners use them. You feel pain for a reason and train your muscles (including the ones in and around your feet) for a reason.

I don't swear to barefoot running, but I really do think everyone should try to get to a point where they use minimalist shoes. This is simply an opinion, of course, but the Hoka shoe seems borderline dangerous and like a long term disservice.

2014-01-11 9:43 PM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by Dnn

I really dislike the Hoka shoe and I think it's thought provoking that so many runners use them. You feel pain for a reason and train your muscles (including the ones in and around your feet) for a reason.

I don't swear to barefoot running, but I really do think everyone should try to get to a point where they use minimalist shoes. This is simply an opinion, of course, but the Hoka shoe seems borderline dangerous and like a long term disservice.

Have you been in a situation where you thought that injuries might force you to stop running forever?
2014-01-12 8:35 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I recently got some Bondi B's at 50% off, but they feel extremely heavy and cumbersome. My best description is bouncy weights on my feet. I generally run in Kinvaras and Virratas, which are in the 6-7 oz range, and I could really notice the weight gain. My pace was slower than usual for the same HR. I'll give them a bit more time, but maybe the Hoka fad isn't for me.
2014-01-12 9:16 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-01-12 9:18 AM
2014-01-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: natethomas2000

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-12 2:16 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion
New York, NY
I just bought a pair on sale and will try them tomorrow on a recovery run. I like the idea of using them for my long runs but did not think taking them out for a 15 mile run first time was a wise idea

I usually wear Asics, and I also run in montrail trail shoes or icebugs on trails and snow/ice so I have all different types of shoes but do find my feet get tired and by the end of a long run my legs feel a bit beat up. I recovery quickly, but next week I am upto 40 miles per week and 6 days per week of running (Boston is in 14 weeks) so anything to help avoid injury for me!

2014-01-20 9:52 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Agreed. A pair of superfeet made my Brooks Ghosts more compact and more cushioned at the same time.
2014-01-21 8:01 AM
in reply to: pmcroome

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Got an email saying my new Bondi 3's have shipped.  I hope my Conquests ship soon.

2014-01-21 9:29 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Sylvania, Ga
I love my hokas for the long runs. I think I'm going to give these new altras a shot.

http://www.altrazerodrop.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/olympus-men
2014-01-21 9:13 PM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by LukeBoswell

I love my hokas for the long runs. I think I'm going to give these new altras a shot.

http://www.altrazerodrop.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/olympus-men

so funny I just ordered Altras as well. Love the Bondi B's - did 17 miles and yes more calf pain but no joint pains - hips, knees etc - I like the idea of using different types of shoes to work different muscles and mix it up.

Excited that Altras (as well as this years Asics) have different build for women vs men - cannot wait until my new Asics arrive too!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka One One's--aka running in heaven Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hoka One One Virginity: Gone

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 1008 Posts: 4

2013-12-26 8:14 PM colinphillips

Hoka One One - please school me

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 2318 Posts: 13

2013-10-10 7:48 AM boomer2it

I'm loving me some Hoka One One's Pages: 1 2

Started by EKH
Views: 7058 Posts: 44

2014-03-31 8:16 AM Meathead

Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes

Started by dsand97
Views: 3582 Posts: 8

2012-12-13 9:48 AM BigDH

Anyone doing one 0 one triathlon????

Started by BADNEWSC
Views: 1230 Posts: 6

2007-02-05 9:12 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : April 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Do you have jerky one leg drills? Learn about this drill along with several tips and workouts to start improving your pedaling technique.
date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.
date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.

date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.