General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka One One's--aka running in heaven Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-21 9:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Hoka One One's--aka running in heaven
Originally posted by BigDH

Originally posted by TriDadinAsheville

Originally posted by BigDH

I will give my standard advice. They are awesome shoes. They are too awesome. Use them with care. I know people who can run in them every day. I did. I shouldn't have. I found they give quite a bit of relief on the larger muscles which I think allows the larger muscles to compensate for smaller muscles which turns into injury, or maybe the other way around.

I would recommend doing your easy recovery runs in them. Anything hard and fast though I would stick to your normal runners that give you access to your aches and pains, they are there for a reason.

Thanks for the advice and good points. However you left one out key type of workout, which comprises the majority of mine right now. Long, slow runs. I'm building base again so most of my workouts are slow, with a variety of long and short. What are your suggestions for those? And there's no issue with me trying to run every day. No time for that with cycling/swimming.
Thanks.

Not sure how the majority of your runs could be long and slow. But yeah, long slow runs I would say are fine. But if you have any marathon pace work in that I would just say use with caution. Everyone is different. The thing is, those shoes allowed me to run with an injury far longer (in two ways, first they allowed me to run longer more often, so I could string 20km runs one after another, second they allowed those super long runs, 30+ km to be relatively pain free where if I wore my kinvaras the jarring I would feel in my hip would have forced me to stop.) than other shoes would, which caused all sorts of horrible ripple effects. That is why I run around screaming that the sky is falling whenever anyone becomes a convert. If I were to give a rule, it would be only use them for at most half of your runs and if you find you can't run in your normal shoes but you can run in the hokas, stop running in the hokas all together until you sort it out. FWIW my issue was with groin, hip and back pain.

They are kind of like that ring in TLOTR, or any other superhero enchantment that brings great power but has a great price. I truly believe that. If I had to do it over again I would stick with my minimal shoes, use the hokas for every other long run and maybe try to use them in the marathon. I bought four pairs of those suckers.

eta:: the point is not that you don't run in them everyday, but that you also run in something else.

Darren...Curious. You said hip, back and groin pain...What was it and how did you cure it? Having an issue! Thanks.

Edited by nadaswimmer 2014-01-21 9:26 PM

2014-05-02 8:32 AM
in reply to: pmcroome

User image

Ditto on the Brooks ghosts - I almost sent them back until I tried the green inserts. Filled up the shoe nicely and added some stiffness. Saving up for some Hokas - I like the suggestion of trading between shoes for different runs. Great thread.
2014-05-02 10:31 AM
in reply to: pmcroome

Arden, North Carolina
Originally posted by pmcroome

Ditto on the Brooks ghosts - I almost sent them back until I tried the green inserts. Filled up the shoe nicely and added some stiffness. Saving up for some Hokas - I like the suggestion of trading between shoes for different runs. Great thread.

I haven't looked but keep an eye out for deals. I got mine for $100 for eastern mountain sports with free shipping. They were last years model so you may still find some deals if you look around.
2014-06-02 10:51 PM
in reply to: TriDadinAsheville

User image

I caved and paid full whack for a pair of conquests. Still breaking them in, the toe box feels huge. Only 20 miles in though.
2014-06-24 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4926753

User image

Had 3-4 runs in Hokas Conquests! First one was like a drunk giraffe on roller skates!

After that I felt more comfortable and love them - use them for about every other run.
As info I'm about an 11.5 and these are an 11 and they fit great!
2014-06-24 11:19 PM
in reply to: #5017175

User image

New user
I love my hokas, especially on brick days. However, I've found I have foot pain if I don't wear regular shoes at least once a week on a run. So I wear them most of the time. I didn't find the slowdown in pace a lot of people said , I PRd a bunch of runs this year in them. Enjoy your pillow trampolines (hehe), but consider using other shoes occasionally as well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hoka One One's--aka running in heaven Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hoka One One Virginity: Gone

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 1008 Posts: 4

2013-12-26 8:14 PM colinphillips

Hoka One One - please school me

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 2318 Posts: 13

2013-10-10 7:48 AM boomer2it

I'm loving me some Hoka One One's Pages: 1 2

Started by EKH
Views: 7057 Posts: 44

2014-03-31 8:16 AM Meathead

Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes

Started by dsand97
Views: 3582 Posts: 8

2012-12-13 9:48 AM BigDH

Anyone doing one 0 one triathlon????

Started by BADNEWSC
Views: 1230 Posts: 6

2007-02-05 9:12 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : April 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Do you have jerky one leg drills? Learn about this drill along with several tips and workouts to start improving your pedaling technique.
date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.
date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.

date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.