Other Resources My Cup of Joe » feeling guilty?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-10 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Subject: feeling guilty??
as I'm training for my very 1st "try-a--tri", there are days off to be taken. MY body says thank you but my mind makes me feel guilty for not being out there & doing something. Is this a reaction for most people, or is it just me wanting to do this??

2004-07-10 10:04 AM
in reply to: #36517

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Subject: RE: feeling guilty??
YUP! Even planned days off can leave me empty and grumpy . However, I have to keep telling myself that days off are an integral part of training. I've had some great results, usually a personl best after a day off. My wife doesn't like my days off 'cause I can get real grumpy especially if I'm stressed about something. I just remind myself that elite status is not in my future and training and racing are what I choose to do, therefore I don't need to beat myself up either physically or emotionally. Plus I've come a long way in the past two and a half years, so I figure I deserve a day off now and then. But I always need that reminder now and then.
2004-07-10 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
without giving your body enough rest, your progess will diminish pretty quickly. I can definatly relate to the idea that a day w/o a good workout is a day wasted, but when i come back on monday after the weekend off and have a great workout and feel a lot stronger and faster than i was on friday, its well worth it....

I dont think any serious (or even not-so-serious) athlete can have a significant workout 7 days a week and still get faster... and if it makes you feel any better, you can spend your days off doing plenty of stretching/massaging to increase your flexibility and reduce fatigue
2004-07-10 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Don,

I'm with you. On my off days, when I'm feeling especially grumpy, I'll go for a walk or plan non-strenuous exercise (e.g. throwing a frisbee with the kids, etc). Even that li'l bit of exercise seems to get the juices flowing and elevates my mood.
2004-07-10 12:18 PM

Regular
My wife wants to kill me on rest day! Even though I know that it's good for my body, I'm antsy and almost literally itch to go do SOMETHING. I usually find that I want to eat more on rest days and that if I substitute some flexibility stretching in for a workout it helps....and of course I feel guilty when I go to bed...like I skated out of something I HAD to do! ...sick but true...gotta love this sport huh?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » feeling guilty?? Rss Feed