General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters Failure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-14 9:19 PM

Subject: Masters Failure
I was so excited to try out a new masters club last night. It was part of the same club that my kid swims in. They are a fairly large program in a good community so I expected that it would be a pretty cool masters club. Plus, since my kid swims with the club, I get to join for free!

When the kids clear out, there are about five of us sitting around. No one really wanted to make small talk with the new guy, but I get that. I was able to get one guy to talk. I asked him about the club and where the set list will be posted. I was thinking it would be on a white board like my last masters club. The guy gives me a look, and tells me that they are pretty laid back. He says everyone comes and goes on their own and does their own thing. And sure enough, not a single conversation with anyone else the rest of the night. Some people came and left after 20 minutes. Some guys showed up a bit later and left after I did.

Everyone was just swimming freestyle, nothing fancy. I guess the guy running it was out of town, though I really don't think that would have changed anything based on what I saw. To make it worse, about 25 minutes in, they turned off the big board so I lost my clock. I had to squint at a small pace clock in the corner. In the end, I just did the same set I would have done if I had gone to the Y. Now I'm completely bummed out, back to the solitary swimming of the 'Y' I suppose.

2014-01-14 9:49 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Masters Failure

that's pretty bad.  don't knock the Y though: my Y masters teams has several state and NCAA record holders swimming on the masters squad.

2014-01-14 11:58 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Wow, their own thing huh....With small groups it's the people that make the program so now you know not all masters groups are created equal. I have membership to two clubs but mainly swim at one. I did go to the other club once and only about 5 people showed up. The leader of the group didn't show up so we had no written workout but we all talked and agreed on a set we did together. There were a couple fast swimmers, me, then a couple of slower swiimmers. But since there were so few of us the faster swimmers knocked the intervals down a little and just took more rest. These are the type of people that make up a good masters program. Since I don't swim there regularly, I was in essence the "new guy" that day.

Unfortunately you didn't have a good host that day. Maybe find out who the leader is and start a dialogue.
2014-01-15 7:55 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Wow...not at all the experience I had at my first Masters session.  Everyone introduced themselves and we had clearly defined goals and sets ready to go.  I then spent the next 75 minutes gasping for air while trashing in the water trying to chase those fishes. 

2014-01-15 8:08 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
That is a shame.

I joined a local Adult Endurance class and even in my first session was guided thorugh some drills and given some 1:1 coaching.
2014-01-15 8:25 AM

Master
Northern IL

Was this actually a Masters program? Checking as some may call any group "masters" though it may be some sort of club, or even just a group of people that get together.

2014-01-15 8:44 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

It's free?  That's not a failure.....swim!

2014-01-15 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

If the regular coach was out of town, I'd suggest trying it again when he gets back to see if things are any different.  If nothing else, talk with the coach and tell him what you are looking for. 

"Masters" groups can vary a lot.  We have one local group that is very structured and uber competitive with several nationally ranked swimmers and other groups that probably could  be better categorized as "lap swimming clubs".   It all depends on what you are looking for and finding a group that meets your needs.

I prefer to do my own thing most of the time, but will drop in on one of the early morning groups when my schedule permits or when I think I need some feedback on my stroke.

Mark

2014-01-15 9:04 AM

User image

over a barrier
I recently switched masters groups thet swim twice at day. The early bird session 5:30-7:30 is very team orientated, lanes split to ability and they rock n roll through the sets like a team.

The evening session 5-7 is very laid back. Usually there is just 1 or maybe 2 lanes open to us since its the college pool and the workout is posted from the morning but people come and go and very little chit chat.

I wouldn't give up on a free program. You could have the chance to change the culture in your lane.

2014-01-15 9:26 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Left Brain

It's free?  That's not a failure.....swim!

I agree.  Free pool time is never a loss.

Sounds like it was more of an open swim time for the parents of the kids.  I can see the disappointment if you were looking for coaching and structure, but again, look at is as free pool time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters Failure Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Why is masters swim called masters swim?

Started by yazmaster
Views: 2163 Posts: 18

2013-07-25 2:16 PM simpsonbo

Is masters swim only for "masters"?

Started by AlanaF
Views: 1161 Posts: 12

2009-09-04 9:46 PM peggyswims

Goggle failure during swim

Started by louamerica
Views: 1061 Posts: 6

2009-07-18 7:36 PM annabananamc

Bike failure

Started by Mihai MVP
Views: 605 Posts: 2

2009-06-24 6:12 AM the bear

chrissie wellington on failure and success

Started by hooslisa
Views: 1114 Posts: 5

2009-05-19 6:58 PM jah2212
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 0
Like the fear of being foolish, the fear of failure is very common. The first step in overcoming the fear of failure is to define it. Once defined the steps to overcome it are not difficult.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.
date : January 1, 2006
author : c.krishnan
We must all be aware that success attained in one single effort will have only a short span of life. Because success achieved without any strain or struggle cannot last long.

date : September 3, 2005
author : bflrich
You’re probably not going to get it just right immediately. Like always, just do the best you can and keep on keeping on. Don’t get upset if you don’t hit the target every time.
date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.