General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Something awesome happened on my last run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-16 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Something awesome happened on my last run
My HRM battery died! Now, you may be thinking "that's not awesome, that sucks because now you don't have the data for that run nor could you be absolutely certain that you were running in your desired zone for the remainder of that run." I also had those thoughts when the battery went out and I saw that "No HRM Data" message on my watch - that is, I had those thoughts for about 2 seconds. Then it occurred to me what is required to kill a HRM battery - hours and hours of training!

This is a milestone to be celebrated! Let's go kill some batteries, members of BT!

2014-01-16 8:42 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

Subject: RE: Something awesome happened on my last run
Yeah, my sensor battery died and my monitor started flashing 240 bpm the alarm was beeping I reached up felt my pulse and for about 2 seconds I thought this is how it ends. The battery that is.
2014-01-16 11:34 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by CycloneVM

My HRM battery died! Now, you may be thinking "that's not awesome, that sucks because now you don't have the data for that run nor could you be absolutely certain that you were running in your desired zone for the remainder of that run." I also had those thoughts when the battery went out and I saw that "No HRM Data" message on my watch - that is, I had those thoughts for about 2 seconds. Then it occurred to me what is required to kill a HRM battery - hours and hours of training!

This is a milestone to be celebrated! Let's go kill some batteries, members of BT!

Heart rate monitors. For runners confused between the difference of fast and slow. ;-)
2014-01-16 4:22 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Veteran
Or in my case, between slow and snail
2014-01-16 5:03 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Originally posted by badmo77a
Heart rate monitors. For runners confused between the difference of fast and slow. ;-)

That's great! When my HRM died I never replaced the batteries. Now riding is fun again.
2014-01-16 5:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by CycloneVM ...Then it occurred to me what is required to kill a HRM battery - hours and hours of training!  

If you sit it on the shelf for a year and a half, they also go dead.  

2014-01-16 5:46 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I almost never run with mine, because I actually enjoy running and would like to keep it that way. I use it on the trainer, though, since I don't think of those workouts as "fun" anyway. The monitor battery died and was replaced over the summer and the transmitter one died Sunday--after almost three years. I think this must indicate that I don't ride the trainer as much as I should!

As for zones, if you are running, enjoying it, and could hold a reasonable conversation while doing it, you are probably in Zone 2. No need for a monitor to confirm that and it won't kill you or ruin your training if your HR that day is a few beats under or over. When I do use it, it's to make sure I'm "in the zone" for tempo runs and speedwork.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Something awesome happened on my last run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Thoughts on Running-musings of the last decade and lessons learned (running specific)

Started by dtoce
Views: 845 Posts: 3

2012-01-17 9:47 AM irishod

Interesting thing happened to me last week

Started by Cue-Ball
Views: 1002 Posts: 18

2010-07-19 4:06 PM wrkinprogress

Last long run was last night

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1545 Posts: 14

2009-12-24 10:41 PM SAWFISH50

Something strange happened

Started by angrypuppy
Views: 470 Posts: 1

2009-07-26 10:18 AM angrypuppy

Awesome swim last night!

Started by Luthien
Views: 543 Posts: 2

2008-07-29 7:44 PM trimore
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 22, 2013
author : TryingATri
comments : 1
My first attempt at something is not what defines me, but it's my last attempt at something that truly defines who I am.

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
My hunger stays under control well enough throughout the day eating every couple hours but come 9:00 pm I am again craving something sweet and if I don't eat I don't sleep.
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : October 2, 2005
author : tgurl
”Everyone can swim; show me what you can do.” She watched, I emerged and she said, “Oh! You really can't swim!”