General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Volunteering at an IM event Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-18 7:38 PM

Subject: Volunteering at an IM event
Hello:

Generally, how many days in advance of a Sunday IM event do volunteers need to be on site? My husband registered to be a peeler and a finish line catcher at an IM event later this year. We are working on integrating this event into a family vacation but don't know what the time commitment is beyond the event day itself.

Thanks!

2014-01-18 8:12 PM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Volunteering at an IM event
You should get information from the volunteer coordinator running your stations as the race gets closer. So that info will be more correct than my advice.

You only need to be there for your shift. But there is an all volunteer meeting the day before where you will get instructions and your access wristbands so you can get into transition to do the actual wetsuit stripping. So, most likely you will have to be there the day before and that is it.

Have a great time!!
2014-01-20 9:34 AM
in reply to: JamieS

Scottsdale, AZ
Usually there is a volunteer meeting the day before the event, the event itself, and then a volunteer appreciation meal at some point - usually the day after. AND, if you want to register for the event, you'll have to plan on being there the day after.
So I'd say 3 days, 1 before and 1 after the event...at least that was how IMAZ was this year.

Volunteering is loads of fun and he will get to be up close and personal with all the athletes. that is the BEST! Hope he has a great time!
2014-01-22 10:45 AM

Like the last post said, there is a volunteer meeting the day before the race, but I would email the captain for the group you have signed up for.

They should be able to keep you in the loop on things, as they'll be the ones getting you the instructions you need for the event
2014-01-22 10:55 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

In my experience if you can't be there for the volunteer meeting, no worries. Just communicate with the captain to get your credentials and be trained.

2014-01-22 1:58 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by lisac957

In my experience if you can't be there for the volunteer meeting, no worries. Just communicate with the captain to get your credentials and be trained.

X2 Above...

I volunteered at IMMT last year and was not going to be able to make it until later Saturday night due to travel reasons. My volunteer Captain just told me to show up to my area 1hr before my shift started to get my wristband, shirt and learn what I was going to do. One of the best times I have ever had was volunteering. Have fun with the trip! My wife and I turned our volunteer experience into a mini vacation and had an awesome time in Mont Tremblant.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Volunteering at an IM event Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about volunteering at an IM event

Started by DB
Views: 1546 Posts: 21

2009-01-25 1:45 PM crea0029

Best area to volunteer at IM event. Pages: 1 2

Started by triguynewbie
Views: 2392 Posts: 30

2008-07-23 1:43 PM oliveview

Volunteering at IM event.

Started by triguynewbie
Views: 1153 Posts: 7

2008-06-13 12:44 PM Tri-Wog StL

IM Canada volunteers?

Started by marina
Views: 1482 Posts: 9

2007-02-23 3:49 PM jknapman

Where Should I Volunteer at an IM?

Started by OldAg92
Views: 1796 Posts: 24

2005-10-27 7:09 AM lifeisgood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 5, 2008
author : lmscozz
comments : 4
My experience as a volunteer at a sprint triathlon. My reasons for arising before the sun were not to work out, but to volunteer. I wanted to give back to a sport I’m learning to love.

date : February 8, 2007
author : mscotthall
comments : 0
Everyone and anyone that has ever raced in a triathlon should take it upon themselves to volunteer at just one event next season. It is an eye-opening and inspirational experience.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.

date : November 27, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Know that base training is not a component of training that is going to necessarily make you faster, but it will make you stronger and give you more endurance to last through the longer races.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Your training schedule should be based completely on the hours you have available to train, not necessarily on the number of hours you "need" to train.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!