Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 3

2014-07-11 12:54 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
Looked on Redman Facebook and they stated Hefner lake is in great shape right now. Which is awesome news! I really like the swim course better when lake level is normal vs the swim course when the lake is down.

After reading about the lake level I went out for my first ows today. I picked a great day for my first one of the year the wind was whipping into the point and I had to swim through white caps the entire time.

Todd I was running yesterday and decided to count my cadence a couple of times. My cadence was falling between 180-192. That's if I was counting it correctly. I would count my right leg for 10 sec then multiply it by 2 for both legs and then multiply it by 6.

2014-07-13 11:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denton, TX
Thanks for your sentiments regarding my father. Regardless of our distant relationship, those events add stress.

The run cadence is a tricky endeavor if your watch doesn't do it for you. I truly gage all my runs based on cadence and HR. I don't really look at pace until the run is over. I had a sweet brick (bike then run) on Saturday, but never could get my HR down during my run. After half of it, I just gave up and ran faster than I should. If your cadence that you counted is close to accurate, that is awesome. I can reach 170 when I am doing intervals or during a race, but I never attain that running a tempo run...I wish I could!

OWS - wow that takes practice. I do ok with OWS, but I do much better when I practice. I think I will start to hit the lake every 10 days or so. We have about 65 days left. I was doing well during April and May when I was doing the off road triathlons, but that was a while ago. As for swimming through white caps - so glad it was you and not me. I may have taken my pink bathing suit and gone home - haha. Actually it is good that you persevered through them. Pays to be a bilateral breather on those kind of days. I am rusty, but will hit the lake this week myself.

Anyone else on here got a tip or reminder for us this week? I am still learning this sport, so don't make me come up all the golden nuggets of knowledge please....

By the way, it's good to be back -

Edited by Todd13 2014-07-13 11:20 PM
2014-07-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: Todd13

User image

Denton, TX
it's been a week...good week or not? Is everyone taking steps forward or not?

I am feeling very good about my progress and truly hope everyone is as well.

I had a good week because I had my first run of any distance in which I sustained a higher cadence than normal ( I avg 167/min, but avg'd 169 for 9 miles once this week). Also I had two runs over 9 miles which is good for me.

My tip of the week: I am prob going to choose to walk at each mile for 30-60 seconds to let my HR drop to aid digestion of the gu. I was talking with a guy who did this for 20 miles during his marathon (of his IM ) and he ran a 4:20 using this method. This was his first IM so I call that a huge success. Also a friend of mine who dreams of Kona and trains more that any of us is adopting a similar approach. he told me he heard of a guy who did this and ran a 1:18 for a half marathon. Note to self: leave my ego in the bag and just walk a little in a methodical manner.

I missed my OWS this week, but have 4 swims planned this week, so I will make up for it.

Chime in - how is everyone doing?
2014-07-20 5:39 PM

, Oklahoma
I'm currently deployed so all of my bike training has been on a trainer which...sucks!! But I will be home pretty soon and will be able to hit the roads and Lake Hefner. I'm just following the plan that was on this site for the half triathlon. Yesterday I did an hour and a half on the trainer and then a 30 minute run. Which wasn't bad at all. Which is weird because last week I did a regular hour ride on the trainer and then could barely jog, it like hurt to walk. My wife sent me a pair of Tri shorts so I've been swimming and getting on the trainer with those on. I have a question below.

Question: Will yall be wearing wetsuits?

If not then what will yall be wearing. I'm not sure if I should just Tri shorts and a tri top for all three or get a Tri Suit for all three.
2014-07-20 5:50 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I had a pretty good week of training. I'm starting to bump up my run training and had a tough Interval bike workout Friday on the trainer. I did 90min at the 15min mark I did 8x4min in Zone 4.

Re: walking through the aid stations. I did that on my first 70.3 a couple of years ago because I was basically in survival mode and had totally bonked. I just kept telling myself run 1 mile until the next aid station and then you can walk a little bit I did this the entire race. Although I do know several people who walk through aid stations as part of their plan and run good times. If I was doing the full I would probably go into the race with the plan of walking through all aid stations even when I was feeling good and wanting to run.

I missed my ow swim this week too. It was pretty cool (70 degrees) on the day I was planning on swimming in the lake and wussed out and opted for the pool. Who would have though 70 degrees and overcast in late July!

My tip of the week: Start working on your bike nutrient plan now if you haven't already. Schedule 2-3 rides in the next 9 weeks leading up to the race where you are going close to race distance and race pace. See how your nutrient holds up.
2014-07-20 9:20 PM
in reply to: AMCBro'sDaddy

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Justin - First thanks for your service!

Re: your question on wearing a wetsuit. I'm pretty sure Redman has always been wetsuit legal. So if it is legal I will wear a wetsuit. The last two years I would say just by looking at everybody walking down to the starting line about 90% of the field was wearing a wetsuit. If you have a wetsuit I would wear it. If you don't have a wetsuit you might look at renting one I would call Schlegals(sp?) bike store. I'm pretty sure they rent them.

Under my wetsuit I will be wearing a 2 piece tri suit which I will wear the entire race. I really like a 2 piece over singlet it is much easier to make a quick restroom stop then trying to pull a one piece off.

I didn't realize you were deployed I bet that does make it challenging to get in all your training. Is there a pool where you are at?

2014-07-21 10:01 PM

User image

Denton, TX
Yes Justin, thanks for your service; I too am interested where you are. I served a long time ago, so pls share. I know being deployed can also mean working for FEMA on the border as I have a friend who has been down there serving for 3 weeks. Regardless, we appreciate your willingness to serve. My daughter will be an Army nurse in 3 yrs - I am excited for her.

Wetsuit? I echo Emile's reply. Redman has been wetsuit legal every year from what I read. The video shows over 90% using them (free bouyancy and speed). Try to rent one if possible is my advice. Yes, wear tri shorts and top under. You could wear them on outside.....just kidding.

Keep working those bricks (hitting the run after the trainer). Quick tip: the last 1-2 minutes of the bike - back off the resistance, increase rpm a little and get those legs moving a tad quicker than normal - it helps with the transition and reduces that dead leg feel. With practice, you can jump off bike and not even have any dead leg.

I tried the walking during nutrition today for my long run (15) and it worked well. I take gu and water every 2 miles on my longer runs. My avg was 9:37 and HR was below 150 so I call that successful. I can empathize with your bonking story Emile, we have all lived through that misery.

Did I ask about your water set-up? I am about to buy an X Lab 400 torpedo. I am 90% certain this is what I will go with unless you have had a bad experience.

2014-07-22 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Todd - I've looked at the x-lab 400 and it looks like a pretty good set up to me. I'm currently using a Profile Design aero drink holder and I've also used a regular bottle cage mounted between the aero bars. I really didn't like the torpedo mount because it was just tougher to pull the bottle and drink then sipping through a straw. Although I've heard the torpedo mount has the best aerodynamics so the x-lab 400 may be the best of both worlds it's torpedo mounted and has a straw.
2014-07-22 5:46 PM

User image

Denton, TX
gonna try it. i remember chatting about your profile bottle. prob same areo data or close
New Thread
Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by thedallasceliac
Views: 2883 Posts: 45

2013-09-27 2:14 PM thedallasceliac

Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Av8rTx
Views: 4152 Posts: 31

2012-09-21 10:11 AM EKH

Redman Full Distance Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by cornchexs
Views: 2352 Posts: 7

2011-05-07 2:59 PM stretchdew

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by ray6foot7
Views: 4883 Posts: 29

2010-10-25 3:07 PM cornchexs

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman : Official Thread

Started by draykus
Views: 3223 Posts: 21

2009-09-21 11:56 AM rayd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 14
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.