General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't decide on bikes, advice please. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-01-30 7:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Subject: RE: I can't decide on bikes, advice please.
Well I have no evidence of course as the only 100 mile rides have been on my road bike. Haven't done a 100 on any tri bike. I was just assuming based on the new aero advantages of the new frame would add up to a time savings in over 100 miles. But that's just speculation, of course.

2014-01-30 7:04 PM
in reply to: ErikTaylor

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ErikTaylor Well I have no evidence of course as the only 100 mile rides have been on my road bike. Haven't done a 100 on any tri bike. I was just assuming based on the new aero advantages of the new frame would add up to a time savings in over 100 miles. But that's just speculation, of course.

Minimal, if any.....really.

2014-01-31 10:16 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I'm more than likely going to go with the used P2, as long as the seller accepts my offer. It's a fair offer given what they sell for and since the board here says I should offer 200-300 less than what I already am. I don't want the guy feeling like he's being ripped off, just like I don't want to be over paying for something. I am trying to be as fair as possible!
2014-01-31 12:53 PM

New user
Chiming in here....
You don't need to feel bad or too much concern for the seller. You offer what YOU think the bike is worth to YOU. The seller needs to make a decision whether that offer is good enough for him. Unless you go over with a weapon, you're not forcing him to do a thing.

As for which bike, clearly there is more value in the used P2. Take that for what it's worth.

Good luck!

2014-01-31 1:04 PM
in reply to: keg97

User image

Originally posted by keg97

Chiming in here....
You don't need to feel bad or too much concern for the seller. You offer what YOU think the bike is worth to YOU. The seller needs to make a decision whether that offer is good enough for him. Unless you go over with a weapon, you're not forcing him to do a thing.

As for which bike, clearly there is more value in the used P2. Take that for what it's worth.

Good luck!

Thanks for the post!!! Yea definitely not a forceful kind of person. I just know what it's like to dump a bunch of money into something only to get 25% of it returned. But that's the name of the game with used equipment!
2014-01-31 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by ErikTaylor

Chiming in here....

Good luck!

Thanks for the post!!! Yea definitely not a forceful kind of person. I just know what it's like to dump a bunch of money into something only to get 25% of it returned. But that's the name of the game with used equipment!

I can't wait to find out what happens. The play by play here, combined with your profile pick (which looks like you're staring right at me) has me intrigued. Please be sure to update everyone with what happens next.

2014-01-31 1:59 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

I certainly will keep you updated. Also, how can you know I'm staring at you when you're facing the other way in your avatar? LOL.
2014-01-31 5:10 PM

New user

I certainly will keep you updated. Also, how can you know I'm staring at you when you're facing the other way in your avatar? LOL.

LOL!

You do look like a dude who might/could get a lil forceful. You might use that to your advantage!!!
2014-01-31 5:12 PM

User image

Lol. I got that out of my system overseas
2014-02-03 8:49 AM

New user
Any update?

And why the avatar change??? It didn't bother me that you were staring right at me!
2014-02-03 9:04 AM

User image

Any update?

And why the avatar change??? It didn't bother me that you were staring right at me!

He said he'd get back to me early this week because his wife had a child over the weekend and of course I wouldn't bother them during that. So, still have an offer of $1,800 out there. Went around to some other stores this weekend too and the SC has always caught my eye, along with the BMC TM02. Sorta hard to decide. Knowing myself I don't want to buy something, and then feel like I'm riding on inferior equipment. It's just how I've always been I guess.

Eh just for something different! My face was sorta BAAAMMM in your face haha. Once I get an race pic I'll be putting that up!!

2014-02-03 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those bikes: Time Machine, SC, P2....all are great bikes. What you're going to hear most importantly here is that you should buy the bike that fits you best. I personally wouldn't say that any of those bikes is "inferior" to another, although the SC has the fastest wind tunnel data. If it doesn't fit as well as the others, you won't be as fast on it , or as comfortable. I recently bought a Shiv that fits me so much better than my old Cervelo. While it may be a "faster" bike (but not by much) it's really going to be faster because I can stay in a more aero position longer and generate more power over the course of an event.

And i agree, put the old avatar back. It certainly had the "look at me, I'm talking to you" look to it.
2014-02-03 10:33 AM

User image

Originally posted by dprocket

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those bikes: Time Machine, SC, P2....all are great bikes. What you're going to hear most importantly here is that you should buy the bike that fits you best. I personally wouldn't say that any of those bikes is "inferior" to another, although the SC has the fastest wind tunnel data. If it doesn't fit as well as the others, you won't be as fast on it , or as comfortable. I recently bought a Shiv that fits me so much better than my old Cervelo. While it may be a "faster" bike (but not by much) it's really going to be faster because I can stay in a more aero position longer and generate more power over the course of an event.

And i agree, put the old avatar back. It certainly had the "look at me, I'm talking to you" look to it.

I honestly had an easier time choosing what car to buy vs which Tri bike I'm going to be buying. I've been on ST and there are some good deals on used SC bikes (7.0 and above) that it's tempting. I went to the Trek store this weekend and they are closing out the 13' 7.0s for $2,200, which seems to be a nice deal. Then there are used ones on CL for $2,600 with upgraded parts and SRAM S60 wheels.

And since it's highly requested, I'll put it back up hahahaha.
2014-02-03 10:34 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ptri1 My vote would be for the NEW P2 assuming you can get the dealer to discount it. i also have a problem paying MSRP for anything. the advantages i see on the new frame is: warranty (not to be undervalued) ability to upgrade to electronic gears easily (when the oem parts wear out) getting power meter cranks to replace the oem ones newest frame design (old P2, even though it is nice, has been around a LONG TIME) relationship with the local dealer I also agree that 1700-1800 for the old P2 sounds about right. cheers
I agree with this all above I have a 2009 DA P2 and would be very happy to get 1700 for it.

Owner of a 2012 P2. I was very fortunate to get the "share the ride' deal with another BT member and got $1k off. I would either go for the new bike, or, ideally, look around for a 2013 leftover and make a deal. Either way, the warranty is definitely worth having, and if the shop can throw in a fit, that's also a plus.

2014-02-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by ptri1 My vote would be for the NEW P2 assuming you can get the dealer to discount it. i also have a problem paying MSRP for anything. the advantages i see on the new frame is: warranty (not to be undervalued) ability to upgrade to electronic gears easily (when the oem parts wear out) getting power meter cranks to replace the oem ones newest frame design (old P2, even though it is nice, has been around a LONG TIME) relationship with the local dealer I also agree that 1700-1800 for the old P2 sounds about right. cheers
I agree with this all above I have a 2009 DA P2 and would be very happy to get 1700 for it.

Owner of a 2012 P2. I was very fortunate to get the "share the ride' deal with another BT member and got $1k off. I would either go for the new bike, or, ideally, look around for a 2013 leftover and make a deal. Either way, the warranty is definitely worth having, and if the shop can throw in a fit, that's also a plus.

Thanks for the post. I've been to 5-6 different shops, and no one will throw in the fit. Some discount the fit, some don't, but no one will toss it in. I probably need to call around to more shops. However I'd rather stick with the premier fitters here for my piece of mind vs John Doe at xyz shop. I don't know... the more I look into things the more hesitant I become.
2014-02-03 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Here's what I did. I went to a local shop that did Retul fittings on a fit bike. I think learned what bikes fit me best. For me, it was one of 3 (shiv, sc, and P2). My fitter only sold one of those (the P2) . I did not end up purchasing from him. The fit was expensive, but honestly I am very happy with my purchase.

It seems that most shops will tell you they can "fit you" on any bike. This runs contradictory to what most on this forum would tell you. For instance, even though I love the P3 and the BMC... none of those really fit me at all.

2014-02-03 12:47 PM

New user
Again chiming in....

I just upgraded from an old Fuji Aloha aluminum bike to a Felt B16. Way nicer bike so it was easy to make the move. I still nose around to see what else is out there but I suspect that once you get "your" bike, you'll have little to no buyer's remorse. It can be stressful shopping b/c you want to get the most value/best bike for you. Car shopping is a little easier b/c you can always easily trade in an old car! Harder to do that with a bike.

Good luck and definitely bring back the old pic! I'm growing out a nasty winter beard and that'll be my avatar b/c it toughens me up a little bit. I need help in that dept!!!!
2014-02-03 1:02 PM

User image

You are right. That's probably it. Just trying to get the best deal possible.

LOL I laughed when I read about the beard. When I was over seas we had to grow out our facial hair and I couldn't to save my life. I laughed about it all the time because I looked like the main guy from Team America... looked like pubic hair glued all over my face LMAO. So if I chose to grow my "beard" out, it'd take 8 months and look like poo!
2014-02-03 1:05 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Thanks for the post. I've been to 5-6 different shops, and no one will throw in the fit. Some discount the fit, some don't, but no one will toss it in. I probably need to call around to more shops. However I'd rather stick with the premier fitters here for my piece of mind vs John Doe at xyz shop. I don't know... the more I look into things the more hesitant I become.

Understand about the fit. My tri bike fit took about 2 1/2 hours. Just an amazing mechanic and fitter, I've changed bike shops because he did. Around here, the only fit they throw in isn't even worth it. Good luck.

2014-02-03 6:02 PM

User image

The gentleman with the used P2 countered at $2k. Thoughts?
2014-02-03 7:04 PM

New user

The gentleman with the used P2 countered at $2k. Thoughts?

Depends on how badly you want the bike. Do you want it for 2000? Would you take it for 1900? Do you only want it for 1800?

Me- unless I "had" to have it, I'd say thanks but no thanks and leave him dangling. He might email you back in a day or two and offer to go 1900 or so. It all depends how much interest he's gotten in the bike. On his side, it just takes one person to give him his asking price. Clearly he doesn't have that person yet.

2014-02-03 7:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

$1850....he doesn't have other offers and he just had a baby, his wife wants that bike GONE!!

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-03 7:24 PM
2014-02-04 1:17 PM

Indiana
Sorry for the delay. I see at this point you have decided on making an offer on the used P2. Very nice bike...price is dependent on how much it is worth to you. You have ridden or messed around with a P2 (not 2014) to make sure the bike can be adjusted for you...

In my original post I was inquiring about about the Old P2 when I was talking about the cockpit. Now that I am not on the mobile version of BT, I see in the picture the Zipp cockpit is the Vuka Base bar and the older style Vuka Clips (which are discontinued for the Vuka Alumina Clips because of better range of adjustments). The older clip style is still good just not as adjustable and it uses a different diameter extension than the new Zipp carbon extensions. FYI, the older clips required the bar extenders to be cut for length while the newer style allow for some sliding...I only mention this because if you need more reach on the extensions than what are on the used P2, new extensions will be required to accomplish that. Not a big deal but you should be aware of it. Alternatively you could get the newer Vuka Alumina Clip and get the flexibility. Just something to think about if negotiating for price. You may ask about the length of the extensions too get an idea if they are going to work for you.
2014-02-04 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
well on Pawn Stars they usually say "meet me in the middle" and they go for it.

so tell him that...$1900

2014-02-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Originally posted by metafizx

well on Pawn Stars they usually say "meet me in the middle" and they go for it.

so tell him that...$1900

Ha! That does always work!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't decide on bikes, advice please. Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

can't decide on which tribike

Started by davetri1
Views: 1040 Posts: 4

2008-02-17 7:56 PM JeepFleeb

Workout - I can't decide

Started by Shortyy
Views: 922 Posts: 7

2007-06-04 2:42 PM kproudfoot

Tri bike advice needed please

Started by devotchkatata
Views: 1157 Posts: 5

2006-05-26 7:16 PM devotchkatata

I need a bike! please help (advice)

Started by Jbacon
Views: 871 Posts: 7

2006-01-04 12:48 PM hk94

Bike buying advice, please!

Started by kimj81
Views: 1739 Posts: 8

2004-06-23 9:35 PM keriann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2012
author : myred86
comments : 4
So much of what I thought a triathlon simply wasn't correct. How an okay Masters swimmer makes it through his first triathlon - slowly!

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : September 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I went to the pool the other day and realized I can't float at all. It makes it really hard to swim properly. I get no propulsion from my kick. Any suggestions?

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.