General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't decide on bikes, advice please. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-01-27 2:29 PM

User image

Subject: I can't decide on bikes, advice please.
Hey guys... I'm new to the forum and already need help...haha. I have narrowed my bike down to Cervelo based on a fit I had done at the LBS. Here are the two choices I am debating between.

1) A used 2010 P2. It has full Dura Ace 7900, ISM saddle, Xlab Sonic Wing, Zipp full carbon bars and base bar, Keo pedals, bike computer and supposedly only ridden a few times. The guy is firm at $2,200.

2) A brand new P2, which has the same frame as the new P3, with lesser components. With no pedals for $2,800 + tax at my LBS.

Never done a triathlon before, but sorta want the best advantage I can get. I know I'm one of those people that if I feel like I'm riding something not as good as I could have got I'm going to end up getting it anyways. I don't mind spending the extra cash if it will actually benefit me. The LBS is going to let me test drive both the new one and the old one. He says if I don't notice a difference I should buy the used one, but he said I'll probably notice something. Supposedly the new one is faster, stiffer, and the same weight.

Has someone here on the forum ridden both and legitimately noticed a difference between the two? Thoughts?

Edited by ErikTaylor 2014-01-27 2:31 PM

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (794KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (676KB - 3 downloads)
image.jpg (97KB - 4 downloads)
image.jpg (87KB - 5 downloads)
image.jpg (91KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (95KB - 4 downloads)
image.jpg (86KB - 1 downloads)
image.jpg (102KB - 1 downloads)
image.jpg (1018KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (834KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (566KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (80KB - 1 downloads)
image.jpg (917KB - 3 downloads)
image.jpg (913KB - 3 downloads)

2014-01-27 2:39 PM
in reply to: ErikTaylor

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: I can't decide on bikes, advice please.

you couldn't go wrong with either.  I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.  the 'old' P2 was only ever just marginally 'slower' than the P3.  And, with the front end on the used bike- it's probably currently the faster combination.

that said- if you plan on using this bike for years to come, and eventually want to customize it to your own needs- you couldn't go wrong with the new frame as the basis for any upgrading.  components are easy to change.  

I'd say buy the new P2 for the dealer's asking price, but only if they throw in their full $250 fit session for you.  The fitting will be worth more than any component.  It's time for them, but they get to build a relationship with you, and vice-versa.  Seems like the better deal if the LBS is nearby and you like them.

2014-01-27 2:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thanks for the reply. I did ask about that and if I bought the bike from the local BS they said they would only charge me $175 versus the $250 if I had bought the old P2. So in reality I only am saving $75 off the fit if I bought the new bike.

I have thought about the mindset of upgrading the new one with time, however, if the old frame isn't "much" different, then I already don't have to upgrade as it has pretty much everything I'd do to it anyways. Sorta just buy it and forget about it. My road bike has full DA 7900 too so it's a nice perk to have the same components on both of my bikes.

Honestly I feel like I'm trying to talk myself out of buying the new bike, however, if it's worth it I'll definitely buy it. I wouldn't say I'm on a budget, but I don't feel like throwing money away either if the cost to benefit ratio is minimal at that point.

In fairness to the bike shop, the gentleman did spend 2 1/2 hours with me talking about tri's, techniques for all 3 sports, etc. Couldn't find a nicer guy really. He never once downed the used P2, and told me it's completely up to me. He just explained the differences to me, which got me thinking of course.

Edited by ErikTaylor 2014-01-27 2:57 PM
2014-01-27 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

That's a tough choice.  You're getting good value on the used bike assuming you want everything it comes with.  ISM saddles don't work for everyone, and personally I'm very particular with my Garmin edge computer.  I also use shimano pedals on my other bikes, so some of those add ons wouldn't really provide any value to me.

$2800 is MSRP...any chance that the shop will be having a sale?  I would never pay MSRP for a bike...but this new P2 may sell like hot cakes...so they may not be willing to budge just yet.

Edited by Jason N 2014-01-27 2:57 PM
2014-01-27 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
don't forget the new bike will be w warranty, the used bike not.

if there's anything wrong with the used one, you have no recourse.

the guy went a little overboard with the Zipp front end, if you care about that part.

with either one, a good fit is most important in the decision.
2014-01-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

That's a tough choice.  You're getting good value on the used bike assuming you want everything it comes with.  ISM saddles don't work for everyone, and personally I'm very particular with my Garmin edge computer.  I also use shimano pedals on my other bikes, so some of those add ons wouldn't really provide any value to me.

$2800 is MSRP...any chance that the shop will be having a sale?  I would never pay MSRP for a bike...but this new P2 may sell like hot cakes...so they may not be willing to budge just yet.

Fortunately I would probably upgrade all that stuff anyway, especially the pedals because I have Keo clips on all my shoes. As mentioned before having the same componentry on both bikes would be nice. I don't know if the shop will be having a sale. They are closing out their last years P2's at 2K. At that point I rather just get the new frame for an extra $800.

2014-01-27 3:18 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Originally posted by metafizx

don't forget the new bike will be w warranty, the used bike not.

if there's anything wrong with the used one, you have no recourse.

the guy went a little overboard with the Zipp front end, if you care about that part.

with either one, a good fit is most important in the decision.

That is a great point and the LBS did bring that up. Either one will be getting fit to me. That is mandatory!
2014-01-27 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Look up the seller on athlinks. Judging by how many races he has done, it might give you a feel for whether it was truly only "ridden a few times." I'd also ask if it was in a crash. Why does someone buy an expensive bike and only ride it a few times? I can see that happening more at the lower end of the martket, but people willing to plunk down $3K for a new bike should be more likely to use it.
2014-01-27 4:06 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

He said he only did a few races with it and the majority of his training was on his road bike, which is plausible I guess. But I'll tell you what, once I get a new bike, my road bike is taking a break for a long while haha.
2014-01-28 5:53 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by ErikTaylor

That is a great point and the LBS did bring that up. Either one will be getting fit to me. That is mandatory!

Honestly, get a bike fit FIRST and then buy whatever bikes fit you. Buying the bike first and then trying to make it fit may very well end up in a bunch of compromises (if it really can be made to fit at all… which is of course the worst case scenario)
2014-01-28 7:56 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

That's what I had done and iirc I put that in the first paragraph of my original post. That's why I narrowed it down to these two models!

2014-01-28 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

While the 2010 is not much different than the 2014, it is still a 4 year old bike.  Not worth $2200 on the used market.  Get the new bike, and you won't be thinking about upgrading in 4 more years.  Just my $.02.  I have a 2008 and love it, but it is time to upgrade @ the 10 year mark.  give yourself more time.  Both are great bikes, but new is new.

2014-01-28 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by ErikTaylor Hey guys... I'm new to the forum and already need help...haha. I have narrowed my bike down to Cervelo based on a fit I had done at the LBS. Here are the two choices I am debating between. 1) A used 2010 P2. It has full Dura Ace 7900, ISM saddle, Xlab Sonic Wing, Zipp full carbon bars and base bar, Keo pedals, bike computer and supposedly only ridden a few times. The guy is firm at $2,200. 2) A brand new P2, which has the same frame as the new P3, with lesser components. With no pedals for $2,800 + tax at my LBS. Never done a triathlon before, but sorta want the best advantage I can get. I know I'm one of those people that if I feel like I'm riding something not as good as I could have got I'm going to end up getting it anyways. I don't mind spending the extra cash if it will actually benefit me. The LBS is going to let me test drive both the new one and the old one. He says if I don't notice a difference I should buy the used one, but he said I'll probably notice something. Supposedly the new one is faster, stiffer, and the same weight. Has someone here on the forum ridden both and legitimately noticed a difference between the two? Thoughts?

Okay so used bike is 4 year old Dura Ace, what is the new bike? The standard saying is that Shimano trickles down technology over time. So a 4 year old Dura Ace may not be far off from a brand new Ultegra. I will say that my 105's are 4 years newer than my Ultegras and I can't tell much of a difference. 

Saddles are very subjective. Do you currently ride an ISM? Is it the same ISM? The tri position is different. You may find you hate that saddle so it is not really an upgrade when you end up replacing it anyway.

The wing is nice, but you can always buy one for $120 I think it is? 

The Zipp bars are intriguing, but will they adjust to fit you? That will be the main issue there. Otherwise sounds like a nice upgrade.

Sounds like the KEO pedals will work fine for you. But they aren't that big a deal, I just got a set for $80 shipped. Pretty cheap as far as bike stuff goes. 

So I guess you have to decide how much the upgrades are worth to you, then you have to decide if the $600 for the newer frame is worth it. That new frame is pretty dead sexy. 

You didn't mention wheels. Are the wheels on the used bike upgraded? That might make a big difference. 

2014-01-28 1:02 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Originally posted by chris00nj Look up the seller on athlinks. Judging by how many races he has done, it might give you a feel for whether it was truly only "ridden a few times." I'd also ask if it was in a crash. Why does someone buy an expensive bike and only ride it a few times? I can see that happening more at the lower end of the martket, but people willing to plunk down $3K for a new bike should be more likely to use it.

Because whenever anybody sells a bike, it's always low miles, never crashed...no matter what.

2014-01-28 1:11 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
MA

What kind of fit did you have? What are your stack and reach measurements on an ideal frame? How do those numbers compare to your options?

I'd go with the new bike for the warranty and the bike support from the shop.

4 year bike is a lot different than a brand new bike.

If you are leaning towards the used bike bring it in and have your shop look it over for you to make sure it is in sound shape. Cracked carbon frame on a bike without a warranty is an expensive repair.

Upgrading parts on bikes is often waste of money unless you need something different to have it fit for you best or something wears out. If you buy a new bike, often shops will allow you to trade out parts for difference in cost. Other shops make you buy new part and now you have two (I will never buy a new bike from a shop like this).

2014-01-28 1:13 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

I just uploaded pics of the used bike. Ironically my LBS built this bike for the person that is selling the bike, so the builder knows this bike. He even said, "This isn't good for us, that bike is super clean." Haha.

2014-01-28 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by ErikTaylor

He said he only did a few races with it and the majority of his training was on his road bike, which is plausible I guess. But I'll tell you what, once I get a new bike, my road bike is taking a break for a long while haha.

It's definitely plausible - my P3 just doesn't see that many miles as my road bike is my "go to bike" for most of my training and recreational rides.

To the OP, I'd get the new one. It will be fresh, under warranty, and a great start to a relationship with your LBS. Out of the box it will be "fast" and fun to ride. Then, as you ride it and get to know it, start the upgrades YOU pick out... that's half the fun!
2014-01-28 1:17 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by ErikTaylor Hey guys... I'm new to the forum and already need help...haha. I have narrowed my bike down to Cervelo based on a fit I had done at the LBS. Here are the two choices I am debating between. 1) A used 2010 P2. It has full Dura Ace 7900, ISM saddle, Xlab Sonic Wing, Zipp full carbon bars and base bar, Keo pedals, bike computer and supposedly only ridden a few times. The guy is firm at $2,200. 2) A brand new P2, which has the same frame as the new P3, with lesser components. With no pedals for $2,800 + tax at my LBS. Never done a triathlon before, but sorta want the best advantage I can get. I know I'm one of those people that if I feel like I'm riding something not as good as I could have got I'm going to end up getting it anyways. I don't mind spending the extra cash if it will actually benefit me. The LBS is going to let me test drive both the new one and the old one. He says if I don't notice a difference I should buy the used one, but he said I'll probably notice something. Supposedly the new one is faster, stiffer, and the same weight. Has someone here on the forum ridden both and legitimately noticed a difference between the two? Thoughts?

Okay so used bike is 4 year old Dura Ace, what is the new bike? The standard saying is that Shimano trickles down technology over time. So a 4 year old Dura Ace may not be far off from a brand new Ultegra. I will say that my 105's are 4 years newer than my Ultegras and I can't tell much of a difference. 

Saddles are very subjective. Do you currently ride an ISM? Is it the same ISM? The tri position is different. You may find you hate that saddle so it is not really an upgrade when you end up replacing it anyway.

The wing is nice, but you can always buy one for $120 I think it is? 

The Zipp bars are intriguing, but will they adjust to fit you? That will be the main issue there. Otherwise sounds like a nice upgrade.

Sounds like the KEO pedals will work fine for you. But they aren't that big a deal, I just got a set for $80 shipped. Pretty cheap as far as bike stuff goes. 

So I guess you have to decide how much the upgrades are worth to you, then you have to decide if the $600 for the newer frame is worth it. That new frame is pretty dead sexy. 

You didn't mention wheels. Are the wheels on the used bike upgraded? That might make a big difference. 

For wheels I'm yanking my 60mm Williams Carbon Clinchers off my road bike for the meantime until I can save for some nicer wheels with more aero benefits.
2014-01-28 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Eh screw it, I'd go with the new frame if I could swing it easily. Newer, looks awesome, faster and has a warranty. I have a riding buddy who has broken 2 Cervelo S2 frames, both replaced easily. 

2014-01-28 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I'd say the reason the used P2 price is firm at $2200 is because the guy shelled out a lot of dough for the Zipp cockpit, and DA 7900 components.

Probably came stock with Ultegra. The base bike is probably worth $1200 or so, perhaps another $300 for the DA components, and maybe $300 for the Zipp add-on. So I'd price it at $1800, maybe $1700. Then I'd say it's a good deal.
2014-01-28 2:38 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by metafizx I'd say the reason the used P2 price is firm at $2200 is because the guy shelled out a lot of dough for the Zipp cockpit, and DA 7900 components. Probably came stock with Ultegra. The base bike is probably worth $1200 or so, perhaps another $300 for the DA components, and maybe $300 for the Zipp add-on. So I'd price it at $1800, maybe $1700. Then I'd say it's a good deal.

I agree that price is to high and that $1700 is more in line compared to what is new now.

2014-01-28 2:40 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Well I'll see what he says. The LBS said it's a fair deal, but I'm not getting the deal of a lifetime either. He also suggested I try to get it for a few less Franklins.
2014-01-28 2:51 PM

User image

Exton, PA
If the shop checked out the frame and says its good, the cockpit can be adjusted to fit you, and you can get then to knock the price down to $1700 I would go for the used bike.

You may want to make him the offer of $1600 and leave the guy think about it for a couple weeks, not like you can't pick up the new one at full price anytime. With money sitting on the table he may take it.
2014-01-28 2:57 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

If the shop checked out the frame and says its good, the cockpit can be adjusted to fit you, and you can get then to knock the price down to $1700 I would go for the used bike.

You may want to make him the offer of $1600 and leave the guy think about it for a couple weeks, not like you can't pick up the new one at full price anytime. With money sitting on the table he may take it.

That's a good point. I can't do anything til mid next month anyways... so we'll see. I really am torn. I've never bought a new bike and sorta think it's wasted money, and if I ever sell it I'll never get my money out of it. I do need a bike before my march race so something has got to happen!
2014-01-28 4:03 PM

Connecticut
My vote would be for the NEW P2 assuming you can get the dealer to discount it. i also have a problem paying MSRP for anything. the advantages i see on the new frame is:

warranty (not to be undervalued)
ability to upgrade to electronic gears easily (when the oem parts wear out)
getting power meter cranks to replace the oem ones
newest frame design (old P2, even though it is nice, has been around a LONG TIME)
relationship with the local dealer

I also agree that 1700-1800 for the old P2 sounds about right.

cheers

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't decide on bikes, advice please. Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

can't decide on which tribike

Started by davetri1
Views: 1040 Posts: 4

2008-02-17 7:56 PM JeepFleeb

Workout - I can't decide

Started by Shortyy
Views: 922 Posts: 7

2007-06-04 2:42 PM kproudfoot

Tri bike advice needed please

Started by devotchkatata
Views: 1157 Posts: 5

2006-05-26 7:16 PM devotchkatata

I need a bike! please help (advice)

Started by Jbacon
Views: 871 Posts: 7

2006-01-04 12:48 PM hk94

Bike buying advice, please!

Started by kimj81
Views: 1739 Posts: 8

2004-06-23 9:35 PM keriann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2012
author : myred86
comments : 4
So much of what I thought a triathlon simply wasn't correct. How an okay Masters swimmer makes it through his first triathlon - slowly!

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : September 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I went to the pool the other day and realized I can't float at all. It makes it really hard to swim properly. I get no propulsion from my kick. Any suggestions?

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.