General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't decide on bikes, advice please. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-02-04 7:31 PM
in reply to: ErikTaylor

User image

Subject: RE: I can't decide on bikes, advice please.
In lieu of trying to find out how important the most aero frame is and can impact your speed I came across this article.

http://fitwerx.com/bicycle-aerodynamics

If this is legitimate it's saying the fork has a bigger impact on aerodynamics than the frame does. The wheels having the most impact. Are there any other articles to coincide with this? If that's the case I don't know why I'm even looking at more expensive and more "aero" bikes. Even if the new P2 frame is better, what's the improvement? 1, maybe 2 percent? For me, and at my level, I'll never notice something like that. Maybe next years Ironman, but by then the new frames should be on sale..haha. Am I thinking correctly here and if not someone please set me straight.

2014-02-04 7:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ErikTaylor In lieu of trying to find out how important the most aero frame is and can impact your speed I came across this article. http://fitwerx.com/bicycle-aerodynamicsIf this is legitimate it's saying the fork has a bigger impact on aerodynamics than the frame does. The wheels having the most impact. Are there any other articles to coincide with this? If that's the case I don't know why I'm even looking at more expensive and more "aero" bikes. Even if the new P2 frame is better, what's the improvement? 1, maybe 2 percent? For me, and at my level, I'll never notice something like that. Maybe next years Ironman, but by then the new frames should be on sale..haha. Am I thinking correctly here and if not someone please set me straight.

Buy a bike and start riding alot, that's your biggest impact by far.

2014-02-04 7:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by ErikTaylor In lieu of trying to find out how important the most aero frame is and can impact your speed I came across this article. http://fitwerx.com/bicycle-aerodynamicsIf this is legitimate it's saying the fork has a bigger impact on aerodynamics than the frame does. The wheels having the most impact. Are there any other articles to coincide with this? If that's the case I don't know why I'm even looking at more expensive and more "aero" bikes. Even if the new P2 frame is better, what's the improvement? 1, maybe 2 percent? For me, and at my level, I'll never notice something like that. Maybe next years Ironman, but by then the new frames should be on sale..haha. Am I thinking correctly here and if not someone please set me straight.

Triathlon or TT bikes are generally faster because it puts the rider in a much more aerodynamic position.  

That said, frame/fork aerodynamics do matter...just not nearly as much as rider postion.  The article mentions the fork makes the most difference as far as the bike itself...that's because it's the part of the bike that see's the wind first.  Notice the changes on the new P2 and how the head tube is much deeper.  That's also part of the bike that sees the wind first, so it will make more of a difference than changes to say the down tube or the seat/chain stays.  What kind of difference are we talking about...probably a handful of seconds over 40k.  To some people that's not worth $100.  To other people, that's the difference between being the state TT champion and finishing 10th.  

But in the end, you have to be realistic with yourself and realize that you don't only purchase bikes based bang for your buck performance.  Most people put some "cool factor" into their decision.  If not, 90% of us would be riding steel round tubed tri bikes that can be had for much less than what you're considering.

2014-02-04 7:52 PM

User image

Let me add to my last post because I think there's a little confusion, which is my fault. I'm buying a Tri bike regardless. I know there's a huge difference between road and tri bikes. I meant it doesn't seem, based off that article, that the new P2 can be a huge improvement over the classic P2 (or any new frame for the matter), that I'll notice given my skill level in this sport.
2014-02-04 7:57 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ErikTaylor I know there's a huge difference between road and tri bikes. .

Just remember.....there are ALOT of people on tri bikes getting passed by folks on road bikes.  "Huge" may not be what you think it is......or make any real difference at all in your placing if you are MOP or lower. (if place is important to you)

2014-02-04 7:59 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

I'm sure there is bud. I meant the huge benefit of saving energy for the run off of the bike. I've thought about using my road bike for my first tri because it's a really nice one, but I know I'm sticking around the sport so may as well get the purchase out of the way and get used to using it.

2014-03-01 9:32 PM

User image

Well I decided on the classic p2. It just made sense. I'm fit and ready to go.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1622KB - 4 downloads)
2014-03-02 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Very Nice!  Did the guy come down anymore?

Now you need one of these to help clean up that front end!

2014-03-02 9:21 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Hey Donto,

Thanks. Actually I think I got a fair deal. For $2000 I got the bike, with the r500 wheels, jet fluid pro trainer, climbing block, and mat. He also gave me a few jerseys and some zoot compression socks that are nice. Also a Cateye computer which I'm giving to my girl so she has a bike computer!

I'm intrigued. I want those things. Are they the manufacturer of those brakes. I'm sure I could sell off the DA and break pretty even, well maybe. I have no idea what these cost yet haha.
2014-03-03 8:06 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by ErikTaylor Hey Donto, Thanks. Actually I think I got a fair deal. For $2000 I got the bike, with the r500 wheels, jet fluid pro trainer, climbing block, and mat. He also gave me a few jerseys and some zoot compression socks that are nice. Also a Cateye computer which I'm giving to my girl so she has a bike computer! I'm intrigued. I want those things. Are they the manufacturer of those brakes. I'm sure I could sell off the DA and break pretty even, well maybe. I have no idea what these cost yet haha.
IMHO, that's a pretty good deal you got there.  I see some trainer pain in your future!

Tririg makes the brake, expensive yes at $180. I bought mine when he had the white ones on closeout for $140 in Dec.

2014-03-03 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
IMO, you got quite a good deal. You've got a race ready bike, plus the trainer makes it even better. You should be able to make quite a bit of progress before you need to spend on upgrades.

2014-03-03 8:50 AM

User image

Thanks guys. Does anyone have any leads on a used set before I spring for a new set? I can always transfer those to my new bike down the road, and I can sell of the DA to help recoup some of the funds.
2014-03-03 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
If you watch the Classified sections of here and Slowtwitch they pop up from time to time.
2014-03-03 10:31 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by dprocket If you watch the Classified sections of here and Slowtwitch they pop up from time to time.

Put a WTB ad on ST and you'll likely get replies.  A few have popped up in the last 2 months.

2014-03-04 8:32 AM
in reply to: Donto

New user
Congrats on your new ride! It sure is a good looking rig. It sounds like you got a Nytro like "bike package" for a fair price so well done. Good luck this season!
2014-03-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: keg97

User image

Thank you sir!

I also went ahead and put an ad on ST. Let's see what happens! Also does anyone know if the Magura brakes will fit on this? I contacted a gentleman yesterday with a pair for sale and he thought because of the bulge on the front of the head tube that it may not fit due to clearance. Thanks.

Erik

2014-03-08 5:50 PM

User image

I am finally going to stop being "that guy" with a relic in the pack. I have done enough training and a few tris and am committed to the sport....so now my big question. I am going to look at a Giant TCR Comp 2. Pretty fair deal on it and one of the not so many bikes out there in an XL.Anyone have any feedback on these bikes? Will also be looking for the best way to set it up with types of pedals and aero bars.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I can't decide on bikes, advice please. Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

can't decide on which tribike

Started by davetri1
Views: 1040 Posts: 4

2008-02-17 7:56 PM JeepFleeb

Workout - I can't decide

Started by Shortyy
Views: 922 Posts: 7

2007-06-04 2:42 PM kproudfoot

Tri bike advice needed please

Started by devotchkatata
Views: 1157 Posts: 5

2006-05-26 7:16 PM devotchkatata

I need a bike! please help (advice)

Started by Jbacon
Views: 871 Posts: 7

2006-01-04 12:48 PM hk94

Bike buying advice, please!

Started by kimj81
Views: 1739 Posts: 8

2004-06-23 9:35 PM keriann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2012
author : myred86
comments : 4
So much of what I thought a triathlon simply wasn't correct. How an okay Masters swimmer makes it through his first triathlon - slowly!

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : September 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I went to the pool the other day and realized I can't float at all. It makes it really hard to swim properly. I get no propulsion from my kick. Any suggestions?

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.