General Discussion Triathlon Talk » open water training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-10 8:28 PM

Subject: open water training
I have run three marathons and am starting to train for some multi-sport events. I'm not the best swimmer but I am working on it. The problem is I hate swimming laps in a pool. I would much prefer actual open water swimming in a lake. However, I do not want to risk being hit by a boat. Other than a bright swim cap, is there anything I can wear or tow (float, flag, etc.) to make myself more visible. If so, where can I buy it?

2004-07-10 9:15 PM
in reply to: #36589

User image

utah
Subject: RE: open water training

Pulling a bouy could be helpful not only for resistance though in open water you don't really need it unless you're michael phelps--LOL.  Ok, but seriously, you should have someone with you never swim open water alone.  If you insist on it then i'd get a bright cap reflectors for your arms and a bouy to pull all in neon colors and then of course swim the shore away from where boat or skido's normally go.  Hey maybe pay a kid on the beach to watch you

good luck!

2004-07-10 10:41 PM
in reply to: #36589

Grimes, Iowa
Subject: RE: open water training
I am fairly new to open water swimming also, but I make sure that I have someone watching and that I am wearing my wetsuit. The wetsuit gives me enough bouyancy and confidence that I am not going to drown.

I go to the beach area at a lake near me and swim out to the buoys. There is a line of bouys that mark off where the boats cannot go into the swimming area. I then swim the bouy line back and forth for 5 laps. Each lab is about .24 of a mile. This way I am not out in the boating or fishing area, but also out far enough that not many swimmers come out. Also, if I were to get tired, I am not that far from shore that I could not get back with a minimal effort.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » open water training Rss Feed