Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 77

2014-04-08 9:01 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Regular
Madrid
Subject: RE: TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around
So anyhow... Today I finished doing my 2013 taxes. Over the past few days (on and off) I did them 3 times and came up with 3 different amounts I owe. Can it be any more complicated ?

2014-04-08 9:48 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by gr33n So anyhow... Today I finished doing my 2013 taxes. Over the past few days (on and off) I did them 3 times and came up with 3 different amounts I owe. Can it be any more complicated ?

I forget it's almost the deadline - I file in January!
My co-worker was asking the other day if I got my W-2 in my home mail. He did not seem to be concerned that he didn't get his as he can print off of the web - but I would be slightly concerned if I never got mine..? Primarily about identity theft but also if my employer didn't have my correct home address on file, what else have I missed?

2014-04-08 10:04 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Regular
Madrid
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by gr33n So anyhow... Today I finished doing my 2013 taxes. Over the past few days (on and off) I did them 3 times and came up with 3 different amounts I owe. Can it be any more complicated ?

My co-worker was asking the other day if I got my W-2 in my home mail. He did not seem to be concerned that he didn't get his as he can print off of the web - but I would be slightly concerned if I never got mine..? Primarily about identity theft but also if my employer didn't have my correct home address on file, what else have I missed?

Yep its those unknown unknowns that can get you when you least expect it.
2014-04-08 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

my boss sucks.  the guy that sits next to me found a new position because of him.  i am so frustrated by working for people that will do nothing for my career - what is the point of me having all this ambition and desire and get an MBA only to work for terrible bosses who create a massive roadblock for me professionally.  sigh.  at least i don't have to deal with him on the day to day.

2014-04-08 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

It's 2014 - I've been receiving my W2s electronically for about 6 years.  Maybe he assumed working for a high-technology company they didn't waste time on mailing paper W-2s anymore?  hahaa.

2014-04-08 10:42 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by mehaner

It's 2014 - I've been receiving my W2s electronically for about 6 years.  Maybe he assumed working for a high-technology company they didn't waste time on mailing paper W-2s anymore?  hahaa.

From what I understand the company is still legally required to snail mail it? IDK. I've gotten mine electronically for years now, too, but still receive the paper one in the mail.

2014-04-08 10:42 AM

User image

Pro

Mine was handed to me at my job. I promptly scanned it and e-mailed it to my CPA (aka my dad)

At drill a few weeks ago, I was given a stack of W2s to hand out... from like 2011. 

2014-04-08 10:47 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Did my civic duty and reported for jury services yesterday.  Wow, eye opening.  Took all day just to select the people to hear the case.  I made it all the way to the final cuts then was dismissed.  Probably better in the long run since I have work stuff it would be hard to manage if I was in court all week.

2014-04-08 10:51 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Kido

Did my civic duty and reported for jury services yesterday.  Wow, eye opening.  Took all day just to select the people to hear the case.  I made it all the way to the final cuts then was dismissed.  Probably better in the long run since I have work stuff it would be hard to manage if I was in court all week.

never been summoned [knock on wood]

2014-04-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Regular
Madrid
It kind of makes you wonder how exact a science all this tax filing and reporting precision is. I have my doubts. I think the IRS tries to scare people into submission more than anything else.

We hired a guy here recently that used to work for the Spain version of the IRS. he was in the department that covered tax for large corporates. Spain is not a country that is up to speed so to speak on automation and technological efficiency. Its nopt a small country either. One day I asked him how many people worked in his department. I'm thinking the answer would be like 200. He laughed. Answer 4. FOUR. Can the IRS really be that different ?
2014-04-08 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

From what I understand the company is still legally required to snail mail it? IDK. I've gotten mine electronically for years now, too, but still receive the paper one in the mail.

I don't think a paper copy is required.  Geezerette #3 did not receive a paper one.  She had lived in our apartment in Atlanta in 2013 until moving to another city in September.  It was her address of record with her employer in Atlanta.  We were looking for her W-2 in the apartment mail and did not receive one.  

Geezerette #3 (who is pretty close to Lisa's age) was remarkably blasé about not getting her W-2. My synthesis of the events was that her job ended in Atlanta and she moved to another city. She probably had requested that her W-2 be delivered to her email, but it went to her work email and she forgot the password to that account. Her W-2 went into an electronic waste can. We have been having the Geezerettes' taxes done for them since they were teenagers. My wife has a folder for each daughter and gathers their documents through the year. Their forms are more complicated than most individual returns. This is how we handled it when they were young and it hasn't changed since they grew up and moved out. I spent a full day figuring out how to get a new password for the employee account, finding where to go on their website to get a W-2, and finding an email to the accountant that could accept a secure transmission. It was a lot of work. All she had to do was follow the step-by-step instructions I sent in an email. I had been telling her since January that the accountant required us to have all documents in to him by March 15. It was April 2 that I took matters into my own hands. The end result, she was annoyed that I did it. It matters not.  She is still more fun to be around than practically anybody I know so I forgive her. Better yet, I knew that is the way it would be before I even started and didn't even give it a thought that it would go otherwise. In truth, I was quite pleased with myself for getting it done with a minimum of chaocity.

We are leaving for Brazil on April 16 for the Grand Geezerette's birthday (G1's daughter).  I shall forget all about taxes pretty quickly. 

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-04-08 10:57 AM

2014-04-08 11:11 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I know I'm going to sound awful, but since I deal with professional people all day, every day, I began to think MOST people have higher education and better jobs.  I was wrong.  Most seem to have just finished high school and MAYBE did a college course or two and have labor jobs.

Out of the 20 potential jurors, only 5-6 of us had higher education or white collar jobs.

I got a little frustrated with all the excuses people were tying to make to get out of the week long trial.  Sob stories and money issues.  The judge finally said "if I had to dismiss everyone that had issues, we would never have a jury".  In particular, the people the claimed that they didn't know English well enough...  Then when the judge took them to task on it, it was almost comical.  A Chinese girl that has been here 8 years AND has a degree from UNLV.  A Mexican guy who has been here 26 years who claimed he barely understood English.  I'm think they would respond "I have been here 3 years" or something. But 26?

Again, not trying to sound mean to the people they kept, but I found it interesting at the FINAL cuts, they let the Dentist, the Engineer, the computer programmer, the pharmacist and a couple of the other professionals from the jury and kept the student, the VIP bottle service girl, the photographer who didn't graduate HS, the poker dealer, the baggage handler, etc...  Seriously?  They dismiss the people that could probably make reasonable and knowledgeable decisions?  I don't get it.  But hey, I guess if they want to let the "smart" people go, good for me.  I can make money and do my job instead of $40 bucks a day listening to a frivolous law suit

It was a slip and fall case civil case so I'm sure they wanted people to decide on their heart, rather than head...    (I had pretty much decided I was deciding for the defendant unless presented with compelling evidence!)  So the city was "innocent" unless proven guilty!  Someone wanted to sue Las Vegas because one of the escalators was out of order and when they walked on them as what they were, STEPS, they tripped and fell and hit their head.  Now they say it's the City's fault for not having them working...  Garbage, IMO.  There's always elevators right next to them.

2014-04-08 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

nm

Edited by mehaner 2014-04-08 11:16 AM
2014-04-08 11:24 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I get mine electronically and only would get a paper copy if I request it.  I just download the PDF and print it out.

2014-04-08 11:43 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by gr33n It kind of makes you wonder how exact a science all this tax filing and reporting precision is. I have my doubts. I think the IRS tries to scare people into submission more than anything else. We hired a guy here recently that used to work for the Spain version of the IRS. he was in the department that covered tax for large corporates. Spain is not a country that is up to speed so to speak on automation and technological efficiency. Its nopt a small country either. One day I asked him how many people worked in his department. I'm thinking the answer would be like 200. He laughed. Answer 4. FOUR. Can the IRS really be that different ?

Yes.  It is different. One of the things about the IRS is that they have enormous power to claim assets to meet tax obligations without court proceedings.  It is a huge and powerful organization and they have better (not great) electronic measures to cross check returns against sources of income.  They don't catch the waiter that doesn't report cash tips.  But any company that provides you a salary or other source of income, the IRS gets the W-2 or 1099 associated with that income.  

There is also a cultural difference in so-called tax morale .  As percentage of GDP, Spain has much higher "shadow' domestic product than the US.  The US taxpayers comply and claim to want to comply at a higher rate than other countries in surveys.  Here is another look at other countries tax evasion statistics.  The key statistic is the size of the "shadow" economy as a percentage of GDP.

TW

2014-04-08 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I know I'm going to sound awful, but since I deal with professional people all day, every day, I began to think MOST people have higher education and better jobs.  I was wrong.  Most seem to have just finished high school and MAYBE did a college course or two and have labor jobs.

Out of the 20 potential jurors, only 5-6 of us had higher education or white collar jobs.

I got a little frustrated with all the excuses people were tying to make to get out of the week long trial.  Sob stories and money issues.  The judge finally said "if I had to dismiss everyone that had issues, we would never have a jury".  In particular, the people the claimed that they didn't know English well enough...  Then when the judge took them to task on it, it was almost comical.  A Chinese girl that has been here 8 years AND has a degree from UNLV.  A Mexican guy who has been here 26 years who claimed he barely understood English.  I'm think they would respond "I have been here 3 years" or something. But 26?

Again, not trying to sound mean to the people they kept, but I found it interesting at the FINAL cuts, they let the Dentist, the Engineer, the computer programmer, the pharmacist and a couple of the other professionals from the jury and kept the student, the VIP bottle service girl, the photographer who didn't graduate HS, the poker dealer, the baggage handler, etc...  Seriously?  They dismiss the people that could probably make reasonable and knowledgeable decisions?  I don't get it.  But hey, I guess if they want to let the "smart" people go, good for me.  I can make money and do my job instead of $40 bucks a day listening to a frivolous law suit

It was a slip and fall case civil case so I'm sure they wanted people to decide on their heart, rather than head...    (I had pretty much decided I was deciding for the defendant unless presented with compelling evidence!)  So the city was "innocent" unless proven guilty!  Someone wanted to sue Las Vegas because one of the escalators was out of order and when they walked on them as what they were, STEPS, they tripped and fell and hit their head.  Now they say it's the City's fault for not having them working...  Garbage, IMO.  There's always elevators right next to them.

They don't want smart people who can critically on juries.  They want people who barely speak English and have jobs and thinks the world owes them something ESP in a slip and fall case.........OH this POOR PERSON fell in  ____  They deserve a million dollars.

2014-04-08 12:26 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Socks

They don't want smart people who can critically on juries.  They want people who barely speak English and have jobs and thinks the world owes them something ESP in a slip and fall case.........OH this POOR PERSON fell in  ____  They deserve a million dollars.

My in-laws had a slip and fall lawsuit on their business property in which the claimant's mother testified that he made up the claim.  The jury awarded him $250K anyway.  Had to shake my head.  

2014-04-08 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i'm embarrassed to live in a country where you can even get as far as having a jury trial for being a klutz.  i also agree with you on the "we are surrounded by people like us and forget that MOST people are not like us."

2014-04-08 12:47 PM

User image

Elite

i'm embarrassed to live in a country where you can even get as far as having a jury trial for being a klutz.  i also agree with you on the "we are surrounded by people like us and forget that MOST people are not like us."

We also live in a country in which a major industry that was bailed out by the government resisted recalling a product that resulted in 13 deaths.  We do need to provide legal recourse for the consequences of negligence, but when we do we leave the door open for abuse.  It takes a bit of skill and judicial fairness to sort it out.  Most of the time it works.  Not always.

2014-04-08 12:50 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Warning, this will be a downer:

I am a little bummed out today. The lady that started the Tri team I race with (G.I. Jess Warriors for a Cause) has been battling Breast cancer for 5 years. She is a true Warrior.  Well, she is not doing well and has opted not to go through any more chemo treatments. The cancer has really taken over her body and they have called for hospice to come to her house and try to make her comfortable. She made this decision in mid March and now it is a waiting game. It is amazing how fast she has declined.

I halfway expect her to pop up and see her out running again because she has won the battle so many times, but I can also understand her decision. It is tough to fight for such a long time. I can't even deal with a cold being around for more than a week, so I can't imagine how one deals with something for over 5 years. She and her husband are a true Warriors in every sense of the word.

Her name is Jessica Hambrik and I would ask that you keep her family in your thoughts as she battles for life.

Sorry for the downer post...

Edited by jford2309 2014-04-08 1:20 PM
2014-04-08 1:15 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Sorry to hear the news.  Cancer sucks and strikes down too many good people.

2014-04-08 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4940490

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Drive by TANing... Hi all...

So sorry to hear about your friend James, saw your FB post... Thoughts are with all of you
2014-04-08 1:32 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Elite

I  am so sorry for your friend.   Jessica sounds like a person who did everything right.  I will send a small donation to the Hambrik foundation. Thanks for telling us about it.

TW 

2014-04-09 6:22 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Originally posted by Socks

I was chosen as the alternate for a jury in a criminal case awhile back. I had to sit through the whole case then was dismissed just prior to deliberations. It's probably a good thing too; I'd have hung the jury. The physics of what they were claiming happened just didn't make any sense.
2014-04-09 6:25 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Morning TAN!

I was invited to have a table to sell my stuff at a local wine festival in a few weekend. It should be interesting!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  

of 77

RELATED POSTS

TAN #180 Degrees (Turn Around, Every Now and Then) Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by TriAya
Views: 38890 Posts: 1749

2012-09-06 4:00 PM NRG42

TAN #160: Just farTAN' around as usual ... Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by TriAya
Views: 32541 Posts: 1598

2012-02-08 2:48 PM FoggyGoggles

FHA 203(k) and Fannie HomeStyle Rennovation Mortgages?

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1179 Posts: 6

2011-09-15 9:57 PM Bripod

203(k) Loans

Started by kmanus
Views: 707 Posts: 3

2009-12-19 10:32 PM tetchypoo

To tan or not to tan - and I do not mean TAN Pages: 1 2

Started by The Nat
Views: 4765 Posts: 44

2009-03-08 12:02 PM hooslisa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.