Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 77

2014-04-17 11:10 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around

why is it so hard for my employer to keep a reasonable temp indoors?  i am sitting at my desk in a scarf and wool coat because it is TOO COLD.  its 52 degrees outside, certainly shouldn't be time to crank up the AC!

2014-04-17 11:15 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Chatham Ontario
Originally posted by jford2309

Originally posted by Kido

I was set on getting THIS one day.

My family is awesome.  I hope to be as good a parent as mine are.  How hard can it be to be a good parent?  If you just realize it can't be me me me and it's about THEM, you should be golden.  Most BAD parents are in it for themselves, I'm guessing.  Need attention and they create drama to get it - when the attention should be on the family/kids.

Just my armchair psychology.

Just be careful because if it swings to much to the THEM THEM THEM camp, then I believe you will have a different set of struggles.  I know at times it is so easy to get wrapped up in the kiddos that it appears the marriage takes a back seat, and the one thing I want my three boys to learn form me is that their mother is number one in my book. Not saying I do not love them, but I am not here to make sure they are the center of the universe. ( I know that sounds harsh, but not really meant that way)

I agree with this 100 % and have two step kids and one of our own. If the relationship isn't happy and we are not happy then everyone pays. Kids are important but the world doesn't revolve around them.

I like to think I turned out ok. I was an only child and my parents were self employed worked long hours and hard work. Probably why I have a work ethic myself.
2014-04-17 11:20 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I took a sleeping pill around 9pm last night and had SUCH a great sleep, but now my brain haz the dumb.  I'm torn between being happy at the sleep and feeling a bit guilty that I'm kind of useless at work today.   Did that question count towards Psychology Thursday??   

2014-04-17 11:21 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Chatham Ontario
ok with this cold weather relapse has anyone else had a mental meltdown like I did yesterday?

I had a very long work week the week before with 12-16 hour days and then a busy weekend and a lot of work stress.

With this below freezing temps again and the 4 inches of snow we had the other day (which officially breaks the record for most snow fall ever recorded in my area in one season)

I have no desire to run. I am eating crappy again and I am staring at my new tri bike and the freezing cold wondering if I will.

1. Ever get to ride it.
2. Ever start enjoying working out again.

Could be that I am on the cusp of 40 yrs old and about to loose it too.
2014-04-17 11:36 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am physically beat today. My trainer had me lifting weights standing on a Bosu ball the whole time, so that meant slow reps for me. Man it was tough and I am already feeling it!!

2014-04-17 11:37 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I was set on getting THIS one day.

My family is awesome.  I hope to be as good a parent as mine are.  How hard can it be to be a good parent?  If you just realize it can't be me me me and it's about THEM, you should be golden.  Most BAD parents are in it for themselves, I'm guessing.  Need attention and they create drama to get it - when the attention should be on the family/kids.

Just my armchair psychology.

Just be careful because if it swings to much to the THEM THEM THEM camp, then I believe you will have a different set of struggles.  I know at times it is so easy to get wrapped up in the kiddos that it appears the marriage takes a back seat, and the one thing I want my three boys to learn form me is that their mother is number one in my book. Not saying I do not love them, but I am not here to make sure they are the center of the universe. ( I know that sounds harsh, but not really meant that way)

Hazards of internet in play I guess.  It's tough to put out an observation out then go away because it gets argued with because I can't expound in the moment (not that you are being argumentative).

In my statement, I NEVER meant to imply that you give up yourself and your children should be the center of your universe.  That would be stupid.  I would NEVER suggest going to that extreme.

I simply meant, that the times I heard of family/parent issues, in most cases it's because the parents are looking for some kind of attention and bring drama to everything.  They bring the kids into marriage disputes, or try to make kids feel guilty to force them to give attention.  Again, in my experience, when I hear people rant about family?  It is TYPCALLY those things rather than "my parents sacrifice too much or are involved too much for me".

I agree, I have seen my fair share of parent also coddle their kids too much.  Always within arms reach and never really giving space.  I see that as a problem as well.  Also, you can't give up your "self" either.  That's a bad message to send.  ALSO, not what I meant in my two sentence original post.

My parents are always there for me if I need them.  Never bring me into their drama and supportive when I need it.  We might talk every 2 months?  They didn't like some of my girlfriends or my first wife, but never intruded and were always supportive (thankfully, they LOVE my wife now!).  They also both pursued PhD's in their respective fields while raising us, and excelled in their careers and communities....  In NO WAY did they give up themselves for us - but at the same time, didn't ask for attention or create drama.  My mom and dad are for each other and I use that as an example how I should be with my wife.

All of that is why I think they are amazing.  I can't think of one thing I would do differently than they did.  Maybe, just maybe, have a little more contact???  But my entire family is full of independent people and we rarely just "talk".  We get together every year, but not much communication outside of that.

Everyone seemed to disagree with my post, so I'm hoping this may clear it up.  Tough to generalize on the net because it leaves too much open for disagreement.

2014-04-17 11:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I am physically beat today. My trainer had me lifting weights standing on a Bosu ball the whole time, so that meant slow reps for me. Man it was tough and I am already feeling it!!

Nice.  After my tough mudder next weekend (which I did not train for AT ALL... That's going to be one painful 11 mile trail run - but a BLAST!!!)

I'm going to do something like that.  Maybe get into hot yoga again.  I need to do something to get fit again.  Losing weight, but my fitness sucks right now.  My golf game is improving though!

RE:  Weather

I sort of wish we had a relapse of "cold".  It's getting damn near 90 these days and even walking gets a good sweat going.

Edited by Kido 2014-04-17 11:41 AM
2014-04-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Kido I got what you meant - I think it's a balance. 

2014-04-17 12:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Family stuff has been on the mind.  The wife and I decided to go for it and are trying!

Funny, after discussing and making the decision, all the apprehension and considerations of pros and cons went away and we are just excited about the prospect.  Seems all we talk about now is how to organize the house and what needs to get done and all the exciting things to come.  The worry about me being too old or how travel and leisure time changes or her career?  We don't even think about anymore - we will just deal with it when it comes.

2014-04-17 12:06 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Boo, no one likes my adorable Cannondale trike?

No one likes my spinning things videos either.  Oh well.

2014-04-17 12:06 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I took a sleeping pill around 9pm last night and had SUCH a great sleep, but now my brain haz the dumb.  I'm torn between being happy at the sleep and feeling a bit guilty that I'm kind of useless at work today.   Did that question count towards Psychology Thursday??   

I know that feeling, as I took some pain killers last night so I would hopefully not be woken up by my sprained wrist. So far the caffeine is helping a bit but my brain is still cloudy. 

2014-04-17 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by lisac957

Kido I got what you meant - I think it's a balance. 

Agreed, I was not arguing your point, just shedding some light on the other side of not finding the balance. It is definately a balancing act. I try to also schedule time one on one with each of my boys doing something THEy enjoy, so they know that dad is always there for them. It's tough to find the balance.

2014-04-17 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Boo, no one likes my adorable Cannondale trike?

No one likes my spinning things videos either.  Oh well.

i mostly only BT at work and NEVER look at videos at work.

and i don't like the fancy cannondale trike!  i even ride a cannondale and i want to like it but i think it is not cute at all!

2014-04-17 12:10 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

no.  serious inquiries only on BT psychology thursday.

Edited by mehaner 2014-04-17 12:11 PM
2014-04-17 12:10 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Family stuff has been on the mind.  The wife and I decided to go for it and are trying!

Funny, after discussing and making the decision, all the apprehension and considerations of pros and cons went away and we are just excited about the prospect.  Seems all we talk about now is how to organize the house and what needs to get done and all the exciting things to come.  The worry about me being too old or how travel and leisure time changes or her career?  We don't even think about anymore - we will just deal with it when it comes.

WOOHOO! Big news!!!

2014-04-17 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

us too.  so far, i like the "having lots of sex whenever you want" part of trying, hate the "2 week wait where you feel incredibly scared and guilty about every hot yoga class and alcoholic drink" part of it...

GOOD LUCK.

2014-04-17 12:24 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

us too.  so far, i like the "having lots of sex whenever you want" part of trying, hate the "2 week wait where you feel incredibly scared and guilty about every hot yoga class and alcoholic drink" part of it...

GOOD LUCK.

Woah! Awesome

2014-04-17 1:00 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

GOOD LUCK.

Woah! Awesome

x2!! I foresee a double TAN babeh shower...

2014-04-17 1:00 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

GOOD LUCK.

Woah! Awesome

x2!! I foresee a double TAN babeh shower...

hahahaha it's like a RACE now :-P

2014-04-17 1:21 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

GOOD LUCK.

Ha ha!  me too!  (well, not so much about the worrying)  It's something we "have" to do now - wham bam and get'r done...  and forego the music, and candles and pomp and circumstance she usually wants!

No racing.  It happens when it happens.

Edited by Kido 2014-04-17 1:26 PM
2014-04-17 1:28 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Guys.

Should I sign up for a package deal of spring half marathon on May 4 and fall full marathon in October? I have always wanted to do my local fall marathon (it goes through my neighborhood!) and they are running a double challenge thingie. I have to register by tomorrow to get the extra swag. I originally did not want to run a full marathon this year but you know how that goes... it is only $140 for both races and no travel/hotel involved.

Yes?

2014-04-17 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Guys.

Should I sign up for a package deal of spring half marathon on May 4 and fall full marathon in October? I have always wanted to do my local fall marathon (it goes through my neighborhood!) and they are running a double challenge thingie. I have to register by tomorrow to get the extra swag. I originally did not want to run a full marathon this year but you know how that goes... it is only $140 for both races and no travel/hotel involved.

Yes?

Yes, obviously.

But I am not running the marathon with you!

2014-04-17 1:38 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm also preparing a list of all the threads I plan to start about my baby when it happens.  I got about 2 dozen so far with a lot of potentials.

Seriously.  I don't mind babies, but baby mommas that thinks everyone wants to know about every second of their baby's lives.  I hereby give permission for any TAN person to soundly chastise me if I do that.  Other than announcing that it's happening (conceived) and size/weight on the day of delivery, I don't anticipate in saying much since I'm so opposed to it.

2014-04-17 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I'm also preparing a list of all the threads I plan to start about my baby when it happens.  I got about 2 dozen so far with a lot of potentials.

snerk

2014-04-17 2:06 PM

User image

Pro

Guys.

Yes?

Yes, obviously.

But I am not running the marathon with you!

Yes.

Disclaimer: I am an enabler.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » TAN #203: TANese New Year - Horsing Around Rss Feed  

of 77

RELATED POSTS

TAN #180 Degrees (Turn Around, Every Now and Then) Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70

Started by TriAya
Views: 38865 Posts: 1749

2012-09-06 4:00 PM NRG42

TAN #160: Just farTAN' around as usual ... Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64

Started by TriAya
Views: 32511 Posts: 1598

2012-02-08 2:48 PM FoggyGoggles

FHA 203(k) and Fannie HomeStyle Rennovation Mortgages?

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 1175 Posts: 6

2011-09-15 9:57 PM Bripod

203(k) Loans

Started by kmanus
Views: 704 Posts: 3

2009-12-19 10:32 PM tetchypoo

To tan or not to tan - and I do not mean TAN Pages: 1 2

Started by The Nat
Views: 4752 Posts: 44

2009-03-08 12:02 PM hooslisa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.