General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Sufferfest videos Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-04 11:16 AM

User image

New user
Subject: The Sufferfest videos
Since weather here in Kansas is not prone to letting me outside to ride I have been looking around for good training programs while on my trainer. Seems most people like The Sufferfest videos. However there at 16 of them and not really willing to shell out the $200 for all of them. So....has anyone trained with them before and which ones would be best to get as I am training for the KS 70.3. I was looking at Blender, ISLAGIATT, The Haunted, and Downward Spiral. Should cover the endurance, Climbing and speed work for when I can't get outside.

2014-02-04 11:23 AM
in reply to: Nadamson12

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: The Sufferfest videos
Originally posted by Nadamson12

Since weather here in Kansas is not prone to letting me outside to ride I have been looking around for good training programs while on my trainer. Seems most people like The Sufferfest videos. However there at 16 of them and not really willing to shell out the $200 for all of them. So....has anyone trained with them before and which ones would be best to get as I am training for the KS 70.3. I was looking at Blender, ISLAGIATT, The Haunted, and Downward Spiral. Should cover the endurance, Climbing and speed work for when I can't get outside.

Pretty much all my bike training is on TR with the Sufferfest.

If you're looking for a few videos for starters I feel the following have the best application for Triathlon:

ISLAGIATT, The Hunted, Hell Hath No Fury, There is No Try - each of these have long stretches (20 min plus) at or just above threshold.

Next I would go with:

Local Hero, Blender, Angels, The Wretched, The Long Scream

Each workout has it's own mix and make up.

While interesting, I think the following have the least application for triathlon: Violator, Downward Spiral (and possibly Revolver, but it's awesome anyway so it's almost a must have).

Lastly, just today Sufferfest has released a new triathlon specific video called Chrysallis that is a bike/treadmill workout. I will try it out early next week.

If you have any specific questions about any of them,let me know. I have most of them memorized by this point.

2014-02-06 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Agree 100%

Blender, ISLAGIATT are great.

A very dark place is good for tempo, but it's only an hour.

Really they all are.

Edited by kuatb 2014-02-06 4:03 PM
2014-02-07 8:15 AM
in reply to: kuatb

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by kuatb

A very dark place is good for tempo, but it's only an hour.

Really they all are.

Ha ha , I'm not sure if you're speaking technically or not...but AVDP has 4x4 minutes intervals at 10-20% above threshold. That one is a killer...I wouldn't call that tempo....I come apart on those 3rd and 4th "dark places".

But I agree that is another good tri specific video as it focuses on those longer efforts with steady power. I think I forgot to mention it because I tend to try to block that one out of my mind.

2014-02-07 9:13 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

New user
Thanks for the advice and help. I have started my collection with INLAGIATTA, The Hunted, There is no Try and Hell Hath no Fury. Figure to start a race, speed, endurance and climb would be good.

Completed The Hunted yesterday and it kicked my butt, then again it was my first "real" training ride on my trainer other than just doing what I thought was good on my own. Looking forward to ISLAGIATTA this weekend!

Again thanks for the advice
2014-02-07 12:09 PM
in reply to: Nadamson12

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Are you using these in tandem with Trainer Road? If not, you should definitely strongly consider it. The Sufferfest by itself is fun and entertaining but alone relies on Perceived Exertion. When you add Trainer Road (or a power meter) to it, it becomes a powerful tool. When you have power (either virtual power from TR or a power meter) there's no where to hide. I feel it's the best money I've spent.

2014-02-07 12:22 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I've done most of the workouts WITHOUT the videos on Trainer Road. I agree, very helpful to gauge your effort accurately and efficiently. Plus, at only $10/month, it's worth it for me. I usually cancel my membership in April, and pick it back up in november.
2014-02-07 12:44 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by m.a.burghart

I've done most of the workouts WITHOUT the videos on Trainer Road. I agree, very helpful to gauge your effort accurately and efficiently. Plus, at only $10/month, it's worth it for me. I usually cancel my membership in April, and pick it back up in november.

If you had only $40 to spend on bike training tools, THIS is absolutely the best bang for your buck. You can buy 4 months of TR (for the winter) and have access to an entire library of workouts, including ALL of the Sufferfest workouts. The Sufferfest videos are awesome and entertaining but you can do it without the videos (it's just definitely more fun when you're 'chasing' Voekler or Contador.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Sufferfest videos Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMKS 70.3 article & videos

Started by oipolloi
Views: 1159 Posts: 5

2008-06-03 2:33 PM mr2tony
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : May 17, 2007
Not your typical review, but a review nonetheless. The first thing we triathletes need before any training can be contemplated is COFFEE! Learn how to make espresso for early morning workouts.
date : June 29, 2006
The following instructions make it easy to record and upload your triathlon and race videos to your albums.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Tricep Pushdown-Cable strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Seated Row Machine-Overhand Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video
date : June 18, 2006
Seated row machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : June 18, 2006
The lateral pulldown strength exercise instruction with picture and video